Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Coconut Indian posted:

I really really wish that in Cabin in the woods the reveal of the mermaid had been creepier, like I've seen creepier versions on Adventure Time and Flapjack. I get that it was going for humor and irony, but the rest of the monster designs in that movie were great.

Works out really nice the way it did as he had wanted to see it and when he finally does it is a big let down that it wasn't as cool as he thought it would be. And thinking about it that seems like a 'not seeing the moster is far better' kind of comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I watched the first season of Spartacus as well as half of the third- this may be an obvious one, but the knife that sits on the fruit table gets a lot of mileage- it's used for cutting fruit, committing a murder, and there are a few characters both before and after the changeover from gladiator guy to Roman general who simply play with it while talking.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Saw this on another website somewhere, can't recall just where: people were mentioning several pages back all the dark imagery used to disguise Ego's true character in Ratatouille, but there's a subtle hint in the opposite direction just before the final scenes. Colette mentions in the first half of the film that being female means she has to work ten times as hard to get halfway as far as a male chef. Near the end, after Ego had been won over by Remy's cooking, he tries to pay compliments to the supposed chef Linguini. When he confesses he isn't the chef and Colette comes out, Ego assumes for a few seconds she is the actual chef and greets her without a trace of care over her gender. To him, she's just a chef.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

BiggerBoat posted:

Reminded me of Moonrise Kingdom where every single shot is reflected on the y axis.

Explain this please. Moonrise Kingdom was my favorite movie of the last few years, and I never noticed this.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
In School of Rock, Jack Black tells his designer student that school uniforms is a good idea. Then at the show all the kids show up in their uniform and he tells Black that uniforms were his idea and hand him his uniform. On stage he is the only one wearing it. I thought it was funny :shrug:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

stop posting posted:

In School of Rock, Jack Black tells his designer student that school uniforms is a good idea. Then at the show all the kids show up in their uniform and he tells Black that uniforms were his idea and hand him his uniform. On stage he is the only one wearing it. I thought it was funny :shrug:

It's not exactly subtle, it's an AC/DC reference.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
In regards to School of Rock, It Is absolutely the opposote of subtle but 2:58 to 3:05 in this clip is my absolute favorite part of the movie, and one of my favorite movie moments in general. It will probably be nothing but a clip of a kid playing keyboard to anyone who hasn't seen the movie recently, but I find it adorable amd hilarious that this horribly dorky and awkward kid's attempt at being rock and roll is still so drat dorky. He doesn't magically become a new, rebellious person; he's still just the same weird kid, but now he's on stage!

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."
More School of Rock: As seen during parent/teacher night, every single parent drives a Volvo.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Captain_Indigo posted:

Explain this please. Moonrise Kingdom was my favorite movie of the last few years, and I never noticed this.

Just a quick sample of the sort of vertical center axis (y axis) symmetric shots that abound in the film.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I really liked the bit in Cloud Atlas where Cavendish escapes from the nursing home and yells about Soylent Green. It was a nice little reference to how the replicants are recycled into food for other replicants.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

TheHan posted:

I really liked the bit in Cloud Atlas where Cavendish escapes from the nursing home and yells about Soylent Green. It was a nice little reference to how the replicants are recycled into food for other replicants.

I could have left the rest of that movie, but the Cavendish segments were just wonderful. :allears:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Samfucius posted:

In regards to School of Rock, It Is absolutely the opposote of subtle but 2:58 to 3:05 in this clip is my absolute favorite part of the movie, and one of my favorite movie moments in general. It will probably be nothing but a clip of a kid playing keyboard to anyone who hasn't seen the movie recently, but I find it adorable amd hilarious that this horribly dorky and awkward kid's attempt at being rock and roll is still so drat dorky. He doesn't magically become a new, rebellious person; he's still just the same weird kid, but now he's on stage!

Actually, if you'll recall, Jack Black was trying to get him listening to Rick Wakeman's keyboard work. Which actually explains his stage persona at the end perfectly.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Jedit posted:

It's not exactly subtle, it's an AC/DC reference.

It is, but the way he describes it sounds like the kids all ditch their uniforms so Jack is the only one wearing one

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

All of the kids are wearing more flashy costumes constructed FROM the school uniforms.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Not a movie, but from the mini series "The Pacific." In the fifth episode where we are in the POV of Eugene Sledge, we see a dead african-american marine on the landing beach. I never noticed that before, and I'm not sure if there were african-americans in that specific landing, but I thought it was a gentle nod to the fact that the USMC did send them on the offensive line.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

mng posted:

Not a movie, but from the mini series "The Pacific." In the fifth episode where we are in the POV of Eugene Sledge, we see a dead african-american marine on the landing beach. I never noticed that before, and I'm not sure if there were african-americans in that specific landing, but I thought it was a gentle nod to the fact that the USMC did send them on the offensive line.

That actually reminded me of one from Generation Kill.

In the very first episode, after someone brings out a pack of Charms: "Nobody lets Charms in the vehicle in the whole loving United States Marine Corps. It's bad luck."
In a later episode, the convoy passes a blood-smeared and burned-out Humvee. There is a pack of Charms visible on the dashboard of it.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Not even close to a relevant spoiler, but a cute split-second something from Man of Steel: During the end fight scene, when Zod faces off against Superman in a construction zone, there's a sign that says 'It's been 106 days since the last accident' that Zod throws Superman into, and it knocks the 1 and the 6 off the sign, leaving the 0. It was there for all of a fraction of a second, and they didn't go out of their way to point it out as a joke, but it was really cute nevertheless.

If it's too soon for any mention of Man of Steel at all, I'll edit this out.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

KatWithHands posted:

Not even close to a relevant spoiler, but a cute split-second something from Man of Steel: During the end fight scene, when Zod faces off against Superman in a construction zone, there's a sign that says 'It's been 106 days since the last accident' that Zod throws Superman into, and it knocks the 1 and the 6 off the sign, leaving the 0. It was there for all of a fraction of a second, and they didn't go out of their way to point it out as a joke, but it was really cute nevertheless.

If it's too soon for any mention of Man of Steel at all, I'll edit this out.

Along these lines, I'm pretty sure the satellite they knock out of orbit is from Wayne Industries. The logo is only onscreen for a second or two so I could be mistaken.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Ryoshi posted:

Along these lines, I'm pretty sure the satellite they knock out of orbit is from Wayne Industries. The logo is only onscreen for a second or two so I could be mistaken.

Nope. Totally is. And this isn't really a spoiler but some people are whiney babies. Looks like Lex Luthor controls all the shipping companies. Look at the sides of trucks.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Pretzellogic posted:

More School of Rock: As seen during parent/teacher night, every single parent drives a Volvo.
Aaaaaaaaaand... what?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Something I noticed from Man of Steel. Despite having a different name, Zod's right-hand gal had a partner in the big fight scene who was pretty massive. Fairly sure that they were supposed to be a nice callback to Ursa and 'Silent' Non from Superman 2, if by other names. The big dude doesn't even say anything, just grunts and roars.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Xander77 posted:

Aaaaaaaaaand... what?
I haven't seen the movie but Volvos are kinda traditionally the "safe" car so maybe it's supposed to show how sheltered the kids are and then Jack Black comes in and is cool and dangerous and loves to rock, and teaches the kids to rock as well. Sincerely hope this helps.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They're also the stereotypical car owned by the east-coast two-income educated professional yuppie send-your-kids-to-prep-school set. Just a piece of subtle characterization.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

There has been a nerdy discussion/argument with my friends for a few years now about how Superman ever flies faster. Being that I'm the only one in my group with more than a passing knowledge of physics I accept that his flight is derived from his leaping ability and can, for some reason, alter his course mid-flight but going faster (or even accelerating after hovering (which also makes no sense)) So, in Man of Steel when he is flying and goes faster just by flexing, I let out a weird laugh/snort much to my girlfriend's chagrin. His little smirk felt like the writers knew it was silly but it's loving Superman so it doesn't matter.

...wait, is this the sperg confession thread?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think the "official" explanation is that because Krypton was a large, high-gravity world, Kryptonians evolved natural anti-gravity organs that helped support some of the weight. When they're supercharged by a yellow sun, the organs have enough output to fully counteract the Earth's gravity. He's flexing and straining reflexively as he pushes his anti-gravity organs to work harder, just like humans do when having to take a particularly gnarly dump.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
He's Superman. He can fly. If you need more of an explanation than that, comic book heroes probably aren't your thing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Superman is propelled by massive farts created by his super-powered digestive system :colbert:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
I recently rewatched The Shining and noticed a few great touches I hadn't seen before. There's a lot of effort put into making most of the shots almost but not quite symmetrical, the way that Wendy's monologue about Jack dislocating Danny's shoulder is done in one long continuous shot, etc. But the one thing that really stood out was that the "ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY" manuscript is full of typos. I think this really helps to bring out how it's not all ghosts and possession, part of what's going on is just that Jack is going completely loving bonkers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

I recently rewatched The Shining and noticed a few great touches I hadn't seen before. There's a lot of effort put into making most of the shots almost but not quite symmetrical, the way that Wendy's monologue about Jack dislocating Danny's shoulder is done in one long continuous shot, etc. But the one thing that really stood out was that the "ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY" manuscript is full of typos. I think this really helps to bring out how it's not all ghosts and possession, part of what's going on is just that Jack is going completely loving bonkers.

If I remember right, Kubrick actually got his assistant to manually type every last one of those pages. All the various formatting shifts were done by the assistant to try and stave off the madness/monotony of the task... pretty much exactly as Jack must have been feeling stranded in that hotel :allears:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember right, Kubrick actually got his assistant to manually type every last one of those pages. All the various formatting shifts were done by the assistant to try and stave off the madness/monotony of the task... pretty much exactly as Jack must have been feeling stranded in that hotel :allears:

Jesus... you'd think they could have sourced that out to a couple high school typing classes rather than doing it all by one person.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Jerusalem posted:

Also he made someone do the same for every language the film was being released in, rather than just having it come up as a subtitle.

quote:

Every once in a great while you'll get a director like Stanley Kubrick, who personally supervised the dubbing of his films into various foriegn languages. Apparently with his consent, written messages in Kubrick's movies were rewritten in the new language and close-ups of them were filmed over again. In the Spanish version of The Shining (1980), when Shelley Duvall comes upon those stacks of pages on which crazy Jack Nicholson has typed "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy," over and over again, we see the phrase written in Spanish, thus the scene flows perfectly naturally.

http://brightlightsfilm.com/29/dubbing1.php#.UcBIrpxtW0Q

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Professor Shark posted:

Jesus... you'd think they could have sourced that out to a couple high school typing classes rather than doing it all by one person.

That's not Kubrick's way. This is the same film where he made it his mission to drive Shelly Duvall nuts.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

He drove the guy that plays the chef to tears during filming. There was an entire 7 minute long scene that he had to redo several dozen times before Kubrick called it good and used one of the first takes

He did the same with Jack a lot. Seventy takes, picks one of the weird ones where Jack goofed off a little instead of the ones he played straight. Jack did not like Kubrick.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

death .cab for qt posted:

He drove the guy that plays the chef to tears during filming. There was an entire 7 minute long scene that he had to redo several dozen times before Kubrick called it good and used one of the first takes

Didn't Gene Kelly do that in Singing in the Rain?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Santa's Elves (all midgets) in Hebrew Hammer have a task/police force called "SQAT".

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
You haven't seen the Shining unless you read this first.

http://www.collativelearning.com/the%20shining.html

It's likely a bunch of crap but drat if it isn't fascinating. (No its not that moon landing hoax stupid poo poo)

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's likely a bunch of crap but drat if it isn't fascinating. (No its not that moon landing hoax stupid poo poo)

I think it goes way beyond "likely". It really is fascinating, but it's also utter bullshit and pretty much the definition of reaching too far.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Insanity Prawn posted:

There also an episode where one of the characters has a full story happening in the background, that isn't really mentioned or brought attention too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tP0ubODOUQ

So this is from like a year ago but I just wanted to point out that they do, in fact, comment on what's going on in the background. Listen to the dialogue, they drop stuff like "blood test", "ostrich who raised the tiger cub", "everybody likes pelicans, they bring babies", my personal favourite is the dude saying "I've suffered" while the pregnant girl is being led out of the restaurant, and of course, "miracle" when the baby is born.

I've never seen Community but I think I need to go do that, if the show keeps this level of intelligence and wit to it's writing.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

I think it goes way beyond "likely". It really is fascinating, but it's also utter bullshit and pretty much the definition of reaching too far.

The problem is, Kubrick is well known for being more or less that exact level of batshit insane. So while some of it might be reaching too far or seeing things that really aren't there, there's a legitimate chance that the majority of it is true. Even the tiny, stupid poo poo that literally no sane individual would ever notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That appears to be a novelette length discussion. Could you at least summarize the basic thesis?