Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
The no order thing is fun until you start getting to a point where you just can't find things after searching the whole cabinet a few times. There are times when you just really want to hear something but where is it? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I have amazing categorization, like "poo poo I will only ever listen to alone (mostly hardcore punk)", "stuff my girlfriend likes", and "thrift store garbage".

Chaos reigns.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I organize mine autobiographical

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I realized that I needed to organize and make a list of my poo poo when I discovered that I had duplicates of more than one (inexpensive used) album and it was entirely by accident.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

The Modern Leper posted:

Tangentially related to this concept... what's the rationale for the current trend of 2xLP album releases? I sort of understand the value of 45rpm albums, but I've got three or four albums where it's simply 4 sides with 3 or 4 songs on a side. I never got into 7" for just about this reason, and it means I have legitimately great albums that I almost never play on my turntable.

Better sound. With less music, you can space the grooves out more, and cut them hotter. Also, you can avoid inner-groove distortion. And some of these albums are in a weird place, where they might fit on a single disc, but you'd be cutting things close. Stuff that runs 50 minutes or so, really.

Of course, I have the 20/20 Experience on double vinyl, which is only 2 or 3 songs per sides. But that's just because each of the ten songs averages out to 7 minutes each.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Parachute Underwear posted:

I have their entire discography and I only started backfilling it around the time of Satanic Satanist, and most were bought either at my local store (they tended to keep copies of their more popular stuff in stock) or through their Merchnow store.

It's Complicated Being a Wizard and Evil Friends are both on their official site. The latter just came out so your shop might have it. Censored Colors, Satanic Satanist, American Ghetto and In the Mountain, In the Cloud come in a bundle or individually on the above Merchnow link. Majestic Majesty (acoustic SS) is available there too but they had pressing issues leading to distortion so I don't know if that's resolved with this run.

Church Mouth and Waiter, I found at my store. You can probably get lucky with Merchdirect on CM, and just keep looking for deals on Waiter.

Thanks.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I realized that I needed to organize and make a list of my poo poo when I discovered that I had duplicates of more than one (inexpensive used) album and it was entirely by accident.

This.

Anyone got a database? I built an access database but I always get really tired of it after inputting more than 10 items. I think I need to man up and take some annual leave and just do ittttt.

e: don't say discogs, regardless of some smart rear end comments earlier in the thread there are massive holes in discogs database and there probably always will be. Inputting data on that site is even more tedious than an access form.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
:siren: Porcupine Tree's STUPID DREAM is finally being repressed :siren:

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

The Modern Leper posted:

Tangentially related to this concept... what's the rationale for the current trend of 2xLP album releases? I sort of understand the value of 45rpm albums, but I've got three or four albums where it's simply 4 sides with 3 or 4 songs on a side. I never got into 7" for just about this reason, and it means I have legitimately great albums that I almost never play on my turntable.

I find the same thing, so I tend to get original releases if I can, or reissues which mimic the original single LP release (like the R.E.M. and Tom Waits reissues). I do understand the more sides = better quality but I am a lazy, lazy man and the longer I can spend on the sofa the better.

Edit:

Cemetry Gator posted:

Better sound. With less music, you can space the grooves out more, and cut them hotter. Also, you can avoid inner-groove distortion. And some of these albums are in a weird place, where they might fit on a single disc, but you'd be cutting things close. Stuff that runs 50 minutes or so, really.

I think that is more what seems unnecessary to me. Putting a 50 minute album on 4 sides I mean. I have some albums which are between 50-60 minutes and so they do three sides of vinyl instead. 'The Sun' by Fridge does this. Then each side is still a decent length, and you get some natty etching on the other side to coo at.

shmee fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 16, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

This is also the logic behind the 12" 45 rpm single- which actually wasn't developed until the mid-'70s (initially by accident). It was originally just for industry promos, dance clubs, and radio play- where the increased quality was important.

shmee posted:

...R.E.M. reissues...

Wait, what R.E.M. reissues?!

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 16, 2013

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Wait, what R.E.M. reissues?!

The "Back to Black" reissues from 2009 of 'Murmur', 'Reckoning', and 'Fables..' on IRS (the last one might not be from that series) were two sided, as was the MFSL release of 'Lifes Rich Pageant'. Looks like the recent 'Document' and new 'Green' reissues are the same deal I think, but I have original copies of those, so no idea about the reissue beyone what it on Discogs.

Totally found 'Monster' the other day and bought that because that album rules.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

shmee posted:

The "Back to Black" reissues from 2009 of 'Murmur', 'Reckoning', and 'Fables..' on IRS (the last one might not be from that series) were two sided, as was the MFSL release of 'Lifes Rich Pageant'. Looks like the recent 'Document' and new 'Green' reissues are the same deal I think, but I have original copies of those, so no idea about the reissue beyone what it on Discogs.

Totally found 'Monster' the other day and bought that because that album rules.

Huh. I've got an original of everything from Murmur through Green (and not expensive either) so I guess those aren't for me. Why they haven't consistently reissued Chronic Town (I've got the blue RSD reissue from 2010, which isn't too expensive either), I'll never know.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Huh. I've got an original of everything from Murmur through Green (and not expensive either) so I guess those aren't for me. Why they haven't consistently reissued Chronic Town (I've got the blue RSD reissue from 2010, which isn't too expensive either), I'll never know.

Yeah there's nothing much different about the re-releases other than being 180g. They are just easier for me to find locally than second hand copies of the original, as they seem pretty rare in the second hand stores and anything off of Discogs will have to be shipped international. I did see a copy of 'Reckoning' the other day for something like ¥600 so they are cheap, as you say, just not that common. Hoping I find a copy of 'Dead Letter Office' as I have a strange love of that album.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

shmee posted:

Yeah there's nothing much different about the re-releases other than being 180g. They are just easier for me to find locally than second hand copies of the original, as they seem pretty rare in the second hand stores and anything off of Discogs will have to be shipped international. I did see a copy of 'Reckoning' the other day for something like ¥600 so they are cheap, as you say, just not that common. Hoping I find a copy of 'Dead Letter Office' as I have a strange love of that album.

:smug: I went from buying most of my records around the liberal Northeastern collegiate center of New Haven to buying most of my records around the liberal Northeastern collegiate center of Boston/Cambridge so secondhand REM hasn't exactly been super difficult for me to find. :smug:

Edit: I actually saw an $8 copy of Dead Letter Office at my local used record store last week but passed on it. If you'd like, I could pick it up for you. It looked like it was in really good shape.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 16, 2013

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

For anyone who ordered the Hardcore Devo release, it's finally shipping:
http://www.superiorviaduct.com/blogs/news/8110903-now-shipping-devo-hardcore-vinyl

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

wa27 posted:

For anyone who ordered the Hardcore Devo release, it's finally shipping:
http://www.superiorviaduct.com/blogs/news/8110903-now-shipping-devo-hardcore-vinyl

Hooray, now I have something to look out for in my mailbox for the next 2 weeks.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

:smug: I went from buying most of my records around the liberal Northeastern collegiate center of New Haven to buying most of my records around the liberal Northeastern collegiate center of Boston/Cambridge so secondhand REM hasn't exactly been super difficult for me to find. :smug:

Edit: I actually saw an $8 copy of Dead Letter Office at my local used record store last week but passed on it. If you'd like, I could pick it up for you. It looked like it was in really good shape.

I had visions that moving to Japan would mean that all this elusive stuff I was after would be readily available for me, but no. Sometimes you get a bargain, I found a really cheap nearly mint copy of '12 Golden Country Greats' by Ween the other day (the Flying Nun release) for example, but usually everything is more expensive here than at home, or you just never see it to buy. Geinoh Yamashirogumi records in my collection remains zero.

Thanks for the offer of picking that up for me, but shipping it to Japan is usually a pain. Drop me a PM if you like, saves clogging up the thread.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have about 5 records and 3 7's so organising isn't much of an issue for me. Though I have a signed record cover and a normal cover (which had the records inside it) any ideas what I should do with the signed cover?

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

bowmore posted:

I have about 5 records and 3 7's so organising isn't much of an issue for me. Though I have a signed record cover and a normal cover (which had the records inside it) any ideas what I should do with the signed cover?

You can get nice frames for them so if it's something you want to show off, you could always do that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

bowmore posted:

Burn it.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Make fake musician baseballs with the signi

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CPL593H posted:

Burn it.
gently caress the police.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I don't know, you could probably get some money for a signed copy of Synchronicity.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

shmee posted:

I think that is more what seems unnecessary to me. Putting a 50 minute album on 4 sides I mean. I have some albums which are between 50-60 minutes and so they do three sides of vinyl instead. 'The Sun' by Fridge does this. Then each side is still a decent length, and you get some natty etching on the other side to coo at.

Well, I think it's just more that you're still using both discs, so you might as well use both sides of both discs. I don't really have any need for etchings, and switching sides is just a necessary evil.

And frankly, it will never be as bad as those Capitol 2 disc Beach Boys compilations of the 70s - Endless Summer and Spirit of America. The total play time for Endless Summer is 46 and a half minutes. Split over four sides. And one of the sides is only 9 minutes long. And it was a mish-mash of mono, fake stereo, and stereo. It was only a double disc album to increase the price. My dad was ripped-off I say.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kid A is spliced into stupidness. They even broke some of the natural transitions (Kid A to National Anthem) to fit 2 songs per side. It's baffling.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

Kid A is spliced into stupidness. They even broke some of the natural transitions (Kid A to National Anthem) to fit 2 songs per side. It's baffling.

Well, it was only pressed on 10 inch vinyl, so it was just them doing something unique. I don't know why they did it, but that's just the way they did it.

Granted, sometimes record companies are just plain lazy when it comes to that. I have M. Wards' Post War on vinyl, and that release is pretty bad. There's a transition from Chinese Translation to Eye on the Prize, but that's destroyed on the record. Chinese Translation ends side 1, and obviously, side 2 begins with Eye on the Prize. But if I remember correctly, they didn't really edit out the transition, so Chinese Translation just ends awkwardly.

Here's the worst part. Side one runs about 23 minutes. Side two runs about 15. Which meant they could have put Chinese Translation onto Side 2, kept the transition, and evened out the sides. Sure, one side would have 5 songs and the other would have 7, but I don't think that's ever been a problem in anyone's book. Really, that's the only thing I can think of. Whoever decided where to split the sides said "6 and 6."

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My dad hooked me up for Father's Day:

Not sure how he got these, but it's 7 copies of a repress of The Patriots from 82-83. 4 colors!

For an old folkie he really got me started on punk in the mid 80s. Through the anti-nuke movement he met a few bands like Conflict and brought me tons of their records. You never knew what he would bring back from work trips. Late 80s he'd get me metal albums, and he was picking up jungle mix tapes from London before anything had shown up here in NY.

Thanks dad!

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I just got some singles in the mail and one of them has dirt inside it :psyduck:

e: better picture

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 17, 2013

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Abu Dave posted:

I sadly can't come up with any examples right, but I own a few records that don't break the natural transition but instead give the songs alternate outros. It's pretty drat cool.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Snowy posted:

My dad hooked me up for Father's Day:

Not sure how he got these, but it's 7 copies of a repress of The Patriots from 82-83. 4 colors!

For an old folkie he really got me started on punk in the mid 80s. Through the anti-nuke movement he met a few bands like Conflict and brought me tons of their records. You never knew what he would bring back from work trips. Late 80s he'd get me metal albums, and he was picking up jungle mix tapes from London before anything had shown up here in NY.

Thanks dad!

Your dad seems cool.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Ron Burgundy posted:

The no order thing is fun until you start getting to a point where you just can't find things after searching the whole cabinet a few times. There are times when you just really want to hear something but where is it? :iiam:

My records are organized like a Borges short story: there's a logic to it, but it's a strange, abstruse logic that doesn't reveal itself to everyone.

Abu Dave posted:

On the other hand, it does sound nice, I think. Someone on the Steve Hoffman forums posted waveforms of the vinyl and CD versions, and the vinyl was significantly more dynamic and less compressed. It would have been nice if the reissues had been on 12" vinyl, which would a.) improve the transitions, and b.) allow the people with 10" first pressings to still feel like they have a cool, special artifact. In general, I'm a fan of keeping records in print but adding variations (different cover designs, etc.) that clearly differentiate between pressings.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Devo Hardcore just shipped for me. Sweet.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.
Just bought myself a copy of Exmilitary by Death Grips. That thing cost me $134.
It shipped a few hours ago, and should be here on Thursday. I'll post some pictures when I get it (if you guys want me to).

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
it's crazy how fast that went OOP

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Are any of you familiar with a label called The Control Group?

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

CPL593H posted:

Are any of you familiar with a label called The Control Group?

Only people from TCG I know are The Killers and Kings of Leon.
I don't even listen to either of them, I just know that for whatever reason.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Does anyone here like This Will Destroy You? I just did a thing :smug:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
So I missed out on The Fog and silver Maniac releases of DeathWaltzRecords because they've become another Mondo: Items go up, site goes down, items in your cart disappear if the item sells out, and that's that.

So I said gently caress it and bought the soundtrack to INSIDIOUS.

It rules.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

3dou posted:

Only people from TCG I know are The Killers and Kings of Leon.
I don't even listen to either of them, I just know that for whatever reason.

Basically I was wondering about the quality of their releases because they put out a reissue of the soundtrack for This is Spinal Tap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

CPL593H posted:

Basically I was wondering about the quality of their releases because they put out a reissue of the soundtrack for This is Spinal Tap.

Well, my friend owns some Killers records, and they seem to be really nice (usually picture discs too).
Not heavy, but they play well.