Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Xenoborg posted:

So its raining pretty hard in St. Louis, and the Nation Weather Service just issued a flood warning for my area. Uncommon, but not unusual, and won't effect me.

What was unusual is the way I got alerted. My phone, a pretty much factory settings iphone 4, just sent off a siren with the flood warning as a message. It wasn't a text or call, it just showed up over the main page. I've never seen or heard of anything like this, is this something new and how did they do it?

Same thing happened in Boston back in april, it's one of the new EBS systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Sir John Falstaff posted:

I didn't think plaid was really a limiting factor anymore--that seemed to me to be more a necessary characteristic of "grunge," really. Skinny jeans/thick-rimmed glasses/ironic t-shirts, etc. seemed to be more characteristic of hipsterism to me. But what do I know.

I always thought the inherent difference between the 90s and today was angry sarcasm vs self-aware irony.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

There used to be a really wonderful thread here where goons from both A/I and Business/Finance would help people pick the right car to buy. I think it was titled "Recommend me a Car." I haven't been able to find it after an hour of searching, does anyone have a link or know for sure if it was killed? One of my friends is looking to buy a new car and I wanted to point them towards it; but even just finding the archived version (I haven't been able to) and grabbing the OP would be a big help.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

LLSix posted:

There used to be a really wonderful thread here where goons from both A/I and Business/Finance would help people pick the right car to buy. I think it was titled "Recommend me a Car." I haven't been able to find it after an hour of searching, does anyone have a link or know for sure if it was killed? One of my friends is looking to buy a new car and I wanted to point them towards it; but even just finding the archived version (I haven't been able to) and grabbing the OP would be a big help.

The one literally titled "AI Meets BFC" on the first page of this forum, you mean? You spent an hour searching for that?

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

LLSix posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538

how fortuitous that I just posted there.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Xenoborg posted:

So its raining pretty hard in St. Louis, and the Nation Weather Service just issued a flood warning for my area. Uncommon, but not unusual, and won't effect me.

What was unusual is the way I got alerted. My phone, a pretty much factory settings iphone 4, just sent off a siren with the flood warning as a message. It wasn't a text or call, it just showed up over the main page. I've never seen or heard of anything like this, is this something new and how did they do it?
Both AT&T and Verizon just pushed out "carrier updates" this weekend that added that (you may have seen a blue text-like alert to that affect, or maybe not.)

It added two options that are on by default but you can change at Settings -> Notifications -> Scroll all the way to the bottom:

"AMBER alerts" for missing kid alerts
"Emergency Alerts" what you got

and a third, "Presidential alerts" which you can't turn off but are supposed to be only used by the PoTUS in a national emergency situation.

Also it probably installed something to make it easier for the NSA and CIA to track your movements, phone conversations, emails, and texts :)

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

randyest posted:

Both AT&T and Verizon just pushed out "carrier updates" this weekend that added that (you may have seen a blue text-like alert to that affect, or maybe not.)

It added two options that are on by default but you can change at Settings -> Notifications -> Scroll all the way to the bottom:

"AMBER alerts" for missing kid alerts
"Emergency Alerts" what you got

and a third, "Presidential alerts" which you can't turn off but are supposed to be only used by the PoTUS in a national emergency situation.

Also it probably installed something to make it easier for the NSA and CIA to track your movements, phone conversations, emails, and texts :)

The first Amber Alert I got scarred the hell out of me, I thought my phone was broken.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

CrushedWill posted:

The first Amber Alert I got scarred the hell out of me, I thought my phone was broken.
You should try putting some Vitamin E or Mederma on that scar ;)

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

CatchrNdRy posted:

I always thought the inherent difference between the 90s and today was angry sarcasm vs self-aware irony.

Basically this hispter question came down to a series of differences of opinions among co-worker: We called one guy a hipster because he doesn't use a microwave (against the mainstream), another because he wears ninja turtle t-shirts (ironic fashion sense), and they called me one because I sometimes wear a scarf with my jacket (just like everyone else?!). It just seemed strange to me because everyone felt the others embodied traits of the label, but didn't themselves.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Wagonburner posted:

Careful if you're dealing with a Samsung. I think they may call theirs mhl, and it is a micro usb jack but they've gone and done something proprietary, you'll need to buy a samsung brand adapter.

edit: I guess it mentions that + more info in your linked wiki article.

Thanks for pointing that out. That's actually the device I am looking to buy for so you saved me a headache.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I have some store-bought bottled sauerkraut (yes I know) and it has preparation instructions. Microwave 5 minutes/stovetop 6 minutes or something. Why would you heat up sauerkraut? (I haven't opened it, it might not even be sauerkraut, I don't know if there are labeling laws about that.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

From the media device discussion earlier, I had a Logitech Revue a while back that was great for streaming services but sucked absolute rear end at playing material from my network drive. Does anyone have any experience with the WD TV Live Streaming HD and playing network media from a Windows/Samba share or other network drive? The advertising says it'll play virtually any format, but so did the advertising for the Revue :v:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Mescal posted:

I have some store-bought bottled sauerkraut (yes I know) and it has preparation instructions. Microwave 5 minutes/stovetop 6 minutes or something. Why would you heat up sauerkraut? (I haven't opened it, it might not even be sauerkraut, I don't know if there are labeling laws about that.)

Because in Europe, it's usually served hot? I don't think I've ever had cold sauerkraut outside of the US. Do a GIS for sauerkraut rezept and see if you can find anything that looks like it would be cold.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

So do you "login to the game", "log into the game", or "log in to the game"? I'm leaning toward the second, but they all look a little wrong to me.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

greazeball posted:

Because in Europe, it's usually served hot? I don't think I've ever had cold sauerkraut outside of the US. Do a GIS for sauerkraut rezept and see if you can find anything that looks like it would be cold.

Hmm. Looks like they're all stuff on sauerkraut instead of sauerkraut on stuff. And it looks like they're using way too few vegetables to make it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TetsuoTW posted:

So do you "login to the game", "log into the game", or "log in to the game"? I'm leaning toward the second, but they all look a little wrong to me.

The third one looks best to me, but I don't think any of them are actually wrong, it's just a matter of preference.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

TetsuoTW posted:

"Login" is a noun. "Log in" is a phrasal verb. "Log in to the game" is correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Login#Spelling_confusion

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Mescal posted:

Hmm. Looks like they're all stuff on sauerkraut instead of sauerkraut on stuff. And it looks like they're using way too few vegetables to make it.

So you've never been to the Alsace then? Because that's pretty much what sauerkraut is. The dish called "sauerkraut" in a restaurant is just a plate of warm sauerkraut with 3-10 kinds of meat on it. Maybe a sprig of parsley.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Ciaphas posted:

From the media device discussion earlier, I had a Logitech Revue a while back that was great for streaming services but sucked absolute rear end at playing material from my network drive. Does anyone have any experience with the WD TV Live Streaming HD and playing network media from a Windows/Samba share or other network drive? The advertising says it'll play virtually any format, but so did the advertising for the Revue :v:

Roku player with Plex.

Directly streaming via Samba/Share has never worked that great for me.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Gravity Pike posted:

"Login" is a noun. "Log in" is a phrasal verb. "Log in to the game" is correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Login#Spelling_confusion
Aha, thanks. I figured login was the noun form, since honestly that's the only kind of example I could come up with, and the various conjugations of "log in" end up as "logged in" and "logging in", so that makes sense.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

greazeball posted:

So you've never been to the Alsace then? Because that's pretty much what sauerkraut is. The dish called "sauerkraut" in a restaurant is just a plate of warm sauerkraut with 3-10 kinds of meat on it. Maybe a sprig of parsley.

Does Straßburg count? Anyway, I've had (and made) crazy good kraut. I tried the stuff in the bottle and its not good. The kraut I've been otherwise familiar with is a multiple-veggie fermented kind of appetizer situation, not sad gray slaw.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

With confusing verbs like "log in", when you're not sure it can help to think of the transitive (specific) and intransitive (general) version.

Tom logs in to the game --> Tom logs in. Checks out.
Tom logs into the game --> Tom logs. Nope, sounds like a lumberjack.
Tom logins to the game --> Tom logins. Doesn't really work since it gets really wonky if you try to conjugate it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Xenoborg posted:

I recently got one of these on my Galaxy S3 on Sprint. It seems to be something that all carriers are doing, which is a good thing. I don't tend to have my radio/tv on a lot so if a tornado is about to hurl a cow at me or take me to Oz I will be glad when my phone makes some weird noises.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sometimes in Windows, when I open up the network places, the list of computers on the network doesn't show up. If I actually type in the name of a shared folder into the address bar, like "\\cerebro\videos\" then it loads up without any issues, but no amount of refreshing or restarting seems to make Cerebro show up in network places. What's going on there?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

So gmail asked some, but not all, users if they wanted to upgrade to google hangouts. They intend to eventually replace google chat entirely. Anyway I decided to try it out.

I sort of assumed that, since it was replacing google chat for me, the messages I sent would still get through to people who still had the old google chat. But this doesn't seem to be happening, and now I can't chat at all with friends who don't have hangouts. Does anyone else have this problem?

This seems like something there would be a million angry blog posts about at the very least, but really all I can find is some articles saying they dropped support for talking to people in AIM, etc. I googled a good bit and can't find anyone else talking about a loss of compatibility with old g-chat. Unless...google is blocking search results that discuss problems with their own services :tinfoil:

Anyway I'm asking here partially to find out if the problem is universal, and also just for general info.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

alnilam posted:

So gmail asked some, but not all, users if they wanted to upgrade to google hangouts. They intend to eventually replace google chat entirely. Anyway I decided to try it out.

I sort of assumed that, since it was replacing google chat for me, the messages I sent would still get through to people who still had the old google chat. But this doesn't seem to be happening, and now I can't chat at all with friends who don't have hangouts. Does anyone else have this problem?

This seems like something there would be a million angry blog posts about at the very least, but really all I can find is some articles saying they dropped support for talking to people in AIM, etc. I googled a good bit and can't find anyone else talking about a loss of compatibility with old g-chat. Unless...google is blocking search results that discuss problems with their own services :tinfoil:

Anyway I'm asking here partially to find out if the problem is universal, and also just for general info.
This is actually a pretty well-known "feature:"

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/05/29/google_hangouts_the_gchat_replacement_isn_t_compatible_with_other_im_platforms.html

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Sometimes in Windows, when I open up the network places, the list of computers on the network doesn't show up. If I actually type in the name of a shared folder into the address bar, like "\\cerebro\videos\" then it loads up without any issues, but no amount of refreshing or restarting seems to make Cerebro show up in network places. What's going on there?
I have frequently seen the same thing, and just write it off as "Windows networking lol."

If you want it to be more reliable, map it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I did find that article, but it seems to focus on loss of compatibility with AIM and other such services, and they call that an "oft-overlooked" feature that "may not sound important." It sucks, I agree, but that's not quite what I'm getting at. To me, not being able to chat from my gmail window to another friend's gmail window is pretty huge. Especially considering some of my friends weren't even offered the upgrade - I think it was a partial roll-out. And I can't find anyone talking about that, which makes me wonder if it's somehow just me or something.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
I changed my first name but I don't have anything to prove it except my new social security card and the city paperwork. I got a pink letter in the mail saying I have a certified mail delivery I need to pick up with my new name on it and I've been freaking out and procrastinating about this. It says specifically that I need photo ID but I haven't gotten a chance to renew my permit (so it's expired) or change my name on it.

I tried to pick up a regular package a year or so ago with the paperwork I described above and I got no end of grief for it (they decided to redeliver rather than have me pick it up), I don't even know what to do about this or if they will try to redeliver it. What the gently caress do I do

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 18, 2013

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Sounds like step one is to get a picture ID with your new name on it. You've been without valid ID for at least a year? Cmon dude, get it together.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

stubblyhead posted:

Sounds like step one is to get a picture ID with your new name on it. You've been without valid ID for at least a year? Cmon dude, get it together.

Yeah, I know. :/ A lot of personal poo poo's been happening that I won't go into here, but you're right. I guess I took it for granted, because I don't drive and bartenders don't care about expiration dates.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Outside of an XBMC build, the WDTV will play nearly any format out there. All the popular containers work great (mkv included) and even those goofy anime formats.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
So the NIN presale tickets have released for my local concert arena. They're rather expensive, but they're listed as "GA Floor Standing." What is that? I'm guessing it's the floor area right in front of the stage? No seating?

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

the posted:

So the NIN presale tickets have released for my local concert arena. They're rather expensive, but they're listed as "GA Floor Standing." What is that? I'm guessing it's the floor area right in front of the stage? No seating?

GA means General Admission. That means no assigned seating, but there may be seated and standing areas. Or there might be more expensive tickets for assigned seating. Check the website for the venue.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
GA is general admission, which normally means no reserved seat. So floor standing means you will be in a sweaty mass in the center of the arena. Maybe you get close to the stage, maybe you don't.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

the posted:

GA = General Admission

So yeah your going to be standing, or more likely being moshed around in a pit of stink and scum.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Trastion posted:

GA = General Admission

So yeah your going to be standing, or more likely being moshed around in a pit of stink and scum.

Stuck in a hole with the poo poo and the piss and it's hard to believe it could come down to this.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

GA is general admission, which normally means no reserved seat. So floor standing means you will be in a sweaty mass in the center of the arena. Maybe you get close to the stage, maybe you don't.

Wear closed-toe footwear. Preferably boots.

Went to a Tool concert on acid once and wore sandals because I am an idiot was on acid and boy that was not a good idea.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'm wondering about Native American names but it's kind of hard to google. In pop culture, we hear about dudes named Runs Beside Water or Diving Hawk. One reason that's confusing is that these kinds of names are in English. Which tribes did/do this? Do females also get descriptive/animal names? Are names chosen by the parents at birth? Were there surnames before the whites showed up?

(I know that the answer is "depends on the tribe" and it's a sprawling question, but work with me here.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Mescal posted:

One reason that's confusing is that these kinds of names are in English.

They're translated.

Japanese names sound kind of similar when you translate them, you get names like "Beautiful Flower in the Mountains."