Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

Haha, India is the only side to have been 100% successful in their reviews this tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meso
Jun 14, 2013
It feels like I'm watching alternate-dimension cricket, I mean watching Australia losing all three group games in a Champions Trophy series isn't something one is really versed in. But it sure feels good to witness, as a Saffer ;)

Though maybe I speak to soon, still a few overs to go...

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Don't get too cocky, it ain't over until the fat South African lady chokes.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
She's started swallowing without chewing.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

drat, that was close, but Glenn Maxwell is still the top scorer for Australia. Maybe they'll ask him to open the batting for Australia in the Ashes with Shane Watson, together they can average 50.

meso
Jun 14, 2013

Gorn Myson posted:

Don't get too cocky, it ain't over until the fat South African lady chokes.

I don't need South Africa to win to get my fulfillment, I just need Australia to lose.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm sort of in the same boat, except I'm happy when Australia and/or India lose.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Would be funny if Australia win it from here.

Funny.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Loving that all the Aussies are having a go except for Voges who's pulling a trott and playing for his average.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

You're assuming the Aussies are batting like this because they are having a go. I reckon they don't know who to do it any differently. Still, cheers Australia for not losing too quickly, otherwise SL will top the table.

Edit: Mitchell Johnson, the one man comedy festival.

Unimpressed fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 17, 2013

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Doherty to come out, hit 50 off 30 so they only lose by 10, and then piss all over Watson's chips.

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

When was the last thing someone said something worth listening to in a post match interview?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Wrap it up Antipodeailures

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Lionel Richie posted:

Wrap it up Antipodeailures

Possibly an even better new thread title than "skilled first and only then arseholes"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

gently caress Australia. Just gently caress them.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
10-0 to England for the Ashes. This present Aussie side is utterly wretched

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I honestly thought we were turning a corner at the start of the year. We had a good showing against the saffies and it was just penetration with the ball that cost us a series but lately there just seems to be bad management from top to bottom.

Do we miss a player like Ponting or Hussey who were proper cricketers not tattooed dandys.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
It's obvious Ponting and Hussey brought more to the team than just their batting, as it's gone to poo poo since they left, both on and off field.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Are Australia the new West Indies?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Are Australia the new New Zealand?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Doctor Cave posted:

It's obvious Ponting and Hussey brought more to the team than just their batting, as it's gone to poo poo since they left, both on and off field.

Ponting sure wasn't getting picked for his batting in the last year or two

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Vagabundo posted:

Are Australia the new New Zealand?

How would that even work. Everyone loves NZ cricket cept people who live there.

Australia are the new South Africa. Everyone hates us and we are terrible.

I'm still on the Afghanistan wagon fwiw.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I honestly thought we were turning a corner at the start of the year. We had a good showing against the saffies and it was just penetration with the ball that cost us a series but lately there just seems to be bad management from top to bottom.

Do we miss a player like Ponting or Hussey who were proper cricketers not tattooed dandys.

We need leadership, Clarke certainly doesn't have any, or at least his leadership style rubs the rest of the team the wrong way. What we need is an Alan Border, not the most talented player but he ingrained a culture of discipline, determination and cuntishness that lasted long after he retired.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The problem with Clarke is if you take away his captaincy for the good of the team, he'll throw a fit and quit the team. Then thats your best player, by a massive margin, gone.

So is it better to let him play in the team and have the poisonous atmosphere than not?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
As much as I hate to say it because I thought he was a dick, Steve Waugh would be a good fit to captain this side.

Or yeah, Border.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
You need someone who can make the most of an average team. You need Stephen Flemming.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

The problem with Clarke is if you take away his captaincy for the good of the team, he'll throw a fit and quit the team. Then thats your best player, by a massive margin, gone.

So is it better to let him play in the team and have the poisonous atmosphere than not?

To be honest, for sustainable improvement in the side I think we'd be better off dumping Clarke as skipper. No point delaying the inevitable, we'll be poo poo as long as there is disunity in the team and we'll be poo poo if Clarke walks out. The difference is that one of these allows a new captain to come in and start fixing things. No idea who though, Siddle is probably the biggest oval office of the lot so I'll nominate him.

Tony A. Butt posted:

As much as I hate to say it because I thought he was a dick, Steve Waugh would be a good fit to captain this side.

Or yeah, Border.

I think you need to be a bit of a dick to be a good captain though, at the very least you need to be a stubborn motherfucker to stop all these tattooed nancies running off to the first posh club they see after a game instead of think about how poo poo they are and how they might make themselves less poo poo.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
We need a coach that can out-oval office Clarke. The man for the job is Steve Waugh - make him coach.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Mind you, I remember seeing a documentary about Border where he was fairly "soft" (friendly with the opposition etc) before he took the captaincy and realised that he had to toughen up himself and his team dramatically if they were ever going to succeed again. So possibly Clarke could follow the same path.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Paul.Power posted:

Mind you, I remember seeing a documentary about Border where he was fairly "soft" (friendly with the opposition etc) before he took the captaincy and realised that he had to toughen up himself and his team dramatically if they were ever going to succeed again. So possibly Clarke could follow the same path.

From everything I know of Clarke he seems far too up his own arse to want to change anything.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Paul.Power posted:

Warner should be captain, he already hates the opposition so much that he punches them in pubs

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Paul.Power posted:

I wonder if this guy can play cricket
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaqpoeVgr8U
He's clearly a dick to people who do the wrong thing, and he oozes leadership. Plus not having to blink would be handy for staring down bowlers. Only problem is he probably wouldn't let us sledge Stuart Broad.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Nah, Stuart Broad only looks like a girl, you can sledge the poo poo out of him. Impressive man, BTW.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
You can always just sledge Jimmy Anderson

[threadtitle.wmv]

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

We need leadership, Clarke certainly doesn't have any, or at least his leadership style rubs the rest of the team the wrong way. What we need is an Alan Border, not the most talented player but he ingrained a culture of discipline, determination and cuntishness that lasted long after he retired.

The thing is as much as you can appreciate not taking Michael Clarke very seriously as a leader, you're playing cricket for your loving country. He might be the hard nosed oval office we've been lucky enough to have previously but it'd be nice to see some responsibility taken by the rest of the idiots out on the piss.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

glasnost toyboy posted:

The thing is as much as you can appreciate not taking Michael Clarke very seriously as a leader, you're playing cricket for your loving country. He might be the hard nosed oval office we've been lucky enough to have previously but it'd be nice to see some responsibility taken by the rest of the idiots out on the piss.

I agree. You can't just blame Clarke for not being 'one of the boys'. The other 10 in the team are still playing for their country, and decide to either slog when a little grit is needed, get pissed and start fights, or some combination of the two. Just coz you don't like your captain is no reason to crack the sads and phone it in.

You play for the country first, team second, and captain third. With that in mind, surely Clarke is not the only one causing "disunity". Watson is a prettyboy whinging tool, Warner is a borderline retarded thug, Siddle is a retarded thug, (who actually plays his heart out for his country, so I wont have a bad word said against him, bless his racist heart), not mentioning the mess of childish wussbaggery and neuroses that is Mitchell Johnson, and does anyone seriously think that Steve Smith or Phil Hughes would be good blokes to hang around in a team situation?

In short, the Aussie team is hosed. In/out, on/off the pitch, and the only people who can't see it, are the only ones that can do something about it, (ACB, selectors etc.)

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Australia might just be able to field a fairly gritty batting line-up if, say, they have Rogers open with Cowan and draft Bailey and Voges into the middle order. But their selectors seem to be obsessed with first class averages, so I doubt that'd happen.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Paul.Power posted:

Sounds like typical Australian cricketer bullshit to me. Not winning? Just harass the opposition, they'll cower before your greater manliness in no time.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lionel Richie posted:

Sounds like typical Australian cricketer bullshit to me. Not winning? Just harass the opposition, they'll cower before your greater manliness in no time.

It doesnt take much to get the english bowlers staring at the floor after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

That thing coming out about Langer calling Anderson a pussy was probably the best thing that ever happened to him as a bowler tbh. It's one thing it happening on the field, but if you find out that's what they think of you privately then it's got to sting a bit.

• Locked thread