Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Personally I like how it seems like all Disaster Masters are cyclops.
(I know we've only seen two but two out of two means the odds are in my favor)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Tardigrade posted:

When will we get to see Noisemaster's character profile, come to think of it?

She says she doesn't know if she wants to do one, since she doesn't want new readers to know about him immediately.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
She could make separate character profile pages for each chapter.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Personally I like how it seems like all Disaster Masters are cyclops.
(I know we've only seen two but two out of two means the odds are in my favor)

I was half expecting more eyes as they went up in count. Little disappointed!

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

I was half expecting more eyes as they went up in count. Little disappointed!
Like the golems in Hoshi no Samidere?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I've been following this comic for a little bit now and I think it's a fun and light romp but I can't help but be put off by the Noisemaster's "yo, yo, homey that's wack!" sorta faux-urban speak. It kind of rings of cultural appropriation used only for humor. I'm not decrying racism or anything of the like, but seeing ebonics played for laughs takes me right back to the same issue I had with Tiny Tina in Borderlands 2. It feels like a cheap way to get a laugh.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I don't read it as ebonic culturally appropriated from African-American people. I read it as DJbonic culturally appropriated from musicians trying too hard to be cool.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I figured he was a Beastie Boys clone.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Like the golems in Hoshi no Samidere?

Precisely!

A Wooden Palisade
May 23, 2009

none of them want to fight me like you do

The GIG posted:

It's this, dude. Noisemaster is like a rapper and a hype man.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

The GIG posted:

The author has been quoted as saying she hears their voice for some of his dialogue, so yeah.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Who cares about a few slang words? The real issue here is this comic's unforgivable fat-shaming and oppression of vegans. I mean, a Doughnut Kingdom!?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Really Pants posted:

Who cares about a few slang words? The real issue here is this comic's unforgivable fat-shaming and oppression of vegans. I mean, a Doughnut Kingdom!?

The Melody Kingdom is nothing but deaf-shaming. And TONE deaf-shaming.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Vanderdeath posted:

I've been following this comic for a little bit now and I think it's a fun and light romp but I can't help but be put off by the Noisemaster's "yo, yo, homey that's wack!" sorta faux-urban speak. It kind of rings of cultural appropriation used only for humor. I'm not decrying racism or anything of the like, but seeing ebonics played for laughs takes me right back to the same issue I had with Tiny Tina in Borderlands 2. It feels like a cheap way to get a laugh.

I've been feeling the same way about Noisemaster, but haven't been able to put it in to words. His dialogue just doesn't feel right to me.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

The GIG posted:

http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-345/

I remember that exchange from Parappa the Rapper in one of his songs so I always hear it in Parappa's voice :v:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Dragongem posted:

http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-345/

I remember that exchange from Parappa the Rapper in one of his songs so I always hear it in Parappa's voice :v:

It will forever bother me that there wasn't the third "Say Oh, Oh, Oh!!" "Oh, Oh, Oh," on that page. It's not right. It's not!

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-355/

I want my own hoverchair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pHhgO918Iw&t=221s

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

a thousand puns and not one of them worth saying
I like how the dialogue is basically confirming Noisemaster's got a partner in crime! I suspected it, but this just further cements the idea.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Oh for God's sake. Noisemaster is talking in generic hip-hop or club scene slang. Those are not ebonics. At all. How is that any more offensive than if his name was Metalmaster and he talked in DUDE THIS IS SO BRUTAL CHECK THIS OUT IT'S GONNA MELT YOUR FACE OOOOOOOFF metal-head speak? Or even the way Saturday talks in a deep south accent and slang? Hint: it's not.

V: She said on Twitter she writes Noisemaster specifically to imitate the Beastie Boys. Also hnnnggg yes linguistics :fap:

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 19, 2013

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
AAVE (or "ebonics") has a very specific phonological and grammatical structure. This can be settled using linguistic analysis

Here is some sample data of how Noisemaster speaks

(A). "Check it: my boy and me? Mad schemin' up in here! We got a plan so ill, it'll put you in a hospoital!"

(B). "Say what?! You know splash is wack, homie!"

(C). "Yooooo, ice cold! I'm tellin' you, man, it's all good!"

It's very similar to the grammar and morphology of AAVE (as codified by Fickett in 1972) but there are differences. Going in order of appearance. "It'll" in (A) is a contraction that wouldn't be found in AAVE according to Fickett. Since it contracts "it" and "will;" and "will" as a tense marker isn't found in AAVE. (Instead, the clitic "a-" is used. "I'm a-go over there." for the immediate future, and "gonna" is used for the indefinite future. "I'm a-gonna go over there" is for the post-indefinite or distant future. "Not now, but in a moment" would be used to make that distinction in Standard American English.)

Another difference is in the present tense, in (B) and (C). The present tense in AAVE is "[Subject] be [verb]in' [object]." Furthermore, the copula ("to be" words, to be distinguished from homphones used as part of tense marking) is often dropped in the present tense. So the present tense phrases in (B) and (C) would be "You be knowin' Splash is wack, homie!" and "I be tellin' you, man, it all good!" respectively.

Now, while this does mean that what Noisemaster is speaking isn't AAVE, it doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't intended to sound that way. A lot of "beastie boy" speak is often the product of white people trying to imitate AAVE. It could be that Gigi was intending it to be AAVE but simply didn't do research and ended up with "beastie-boy" speak by accident.

(edit: just to be clear, that last paragraph is just an attempt to sound impartial. I wouldn't have written a loving linguistics essay proving that he isn't speaking AAVE if I was still going to try and say that ggdg is being racist, like, really)

QueerPope fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 19, 2013

deadly mawk
Sep 7, 2010

It's not an accident. Even if she hadn't said so, it just makes more sense for him to be a loud, boisterous party-boy than some kind of racial caricature or whatever.

deadly mawk fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 19, 2013

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

As an English major I love you QueerPope.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
For gently caress's...it's stupidly evident she was going for Beastie Boys rather than racism. Although it resulted in a goddamn linguistics analysis of ebonics which I never actually thought existed so thank you for that. But shut up anyway.

It's been said time and again but these colors are so pretty. It proves there's no such thing as a bad color combination if you can work the pallete.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I'm pretty sure Noisemaster is in fact infamous LPer, P-Bat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BhRLs1uZQA

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I'm so glad there's a conversation about ebonics in this thread about a cute bunny comic.

Anyway I love Nightmare Knight's disappointed "Noisemaster." in panel two. You can just tell that's he's done this exact song and dance so many times before.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Is there any way someone can do an avatar of the last Noisemaster image in the latest comic? He's so pretty.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Comin' at ya, Big Man!

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

majormonotone posted:

I'm so glad there's a conversation about ebonics in this thread about a cute bunny comic.

Anyway I love Nightmare Knight's disappointed "Noisemaster." in panel two. You can just tell that's he's done this exact song and dance so many times before.

I really, really, really like how she does the Nightmare Knight. He just seems like a pretty cool dude who just happens to conquer the world or something :v:. I'm really interested to see what role he plays in the grand scheme of things.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I think it would be pretty neat if the Knight is obligated to do this whole song and dance, just like how Cucumber is pretty much following through on a plot he really doesn't want to maybe the knight is forced to do the whole end the world shtick every time someone collects the orbs.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Stormgale posted:

I think it would be pretty neat if the Knight is obligated to do this whole song and dance, just like how Cucumber is pretty much following through on a plot he really doesn't want to maybe the knight is forced to do the whole end the world shtick every time someone collects the orbs.

Double Night has a jerkdad just like Cucumber who harangues him every time the orbs are put together.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jeez, my first thought upon Noisemaster's reveal was "wow, already this guy is a lot more competent than Splashmaster was", and so far he hasn't given any evidence to the contrary either. Nightmare Knight is just being a jerk to him for no good reason. Why does he have to be mean like that? It's almost like he's the villain of this webcomic or something :mad:

I bet Noisemaster would have rocked that limbo contest, too.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

loquacius posted:

Jeez, my first thought upon Noisemaster's reveal was "wow, already this guy is a lot more competent than Splashmaster was", and so far he hasn't given any evidence to the contrary either.

That's not much of a bar to clear tho.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

loquacius posted:

How low can your pitch go?

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Depends, are we counting autotune?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

loquacius posted:

Dias posted:

That's not much of a bar to clear tho.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-356/

more Noisemaster and Double Night, now with ocarina balloon.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
New comic! http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-357/

The plot thickens.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
That's actually worryingly sinister for CQ. The lack of Gigi's commentary only adds to the effect.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey, actually downright menacing moment in CQ, howyadoin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
And with this, Noisemaster regains my hope of becoming a good character.