Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fanpantstic
Jul 30, 2010

inner breathlessness
outer restlessness

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't think this is such a crazy idea, plenty of perfectly respectable people all over the country are happily commuting to work in their 3rd Gen F or W bodies, Panthers, Chrysler LH cars, Dodge Caravans, etc. But you need to be at least a little bit above the "I know next to nothing about cars" level for this to work out. If you have more time than money, you can't just buy shiny new cars like rich people, you'll have to spend your time on research before starting out on the sub-$5000 car lifestyle.

I do have more time than money. And I've always been curious how cars work. Any good resources for learning the basics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Residency Evil posted:

I've been tasked with helping my sister (24, living in LA, and just starting her first job earning $50kish/year) find a replacement for her 1996 Toyota Celica. The details:

Budget: 14-16k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Preferably 2 door/coupe/sporty
How will you be using the car?: Mainly sitting in LA traffic
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?): She'd definitely prefer it
What aspects are most important to you? Style (her) followed by reliability/cost-of-ownership (her family)

My sister's surprisingly reasonable about it and does not want to buy a used 3-series/A4/C-class. She's currently got her eye on an Altima Coupe. My parents currently have a 2007 Nissan Altima which has been reliable if not a bit dull to drive. Anyone have any objections to the Altima Coupe or alternatives?

2009-ish base model MINI can be had for that much, the reliability's not so great but there's lots of style there to overcome that. A Mazda RX8 from the same period will also do if she can handle a manual transmission. A base model V6 Mustang from the last generation is around that much as well, and are pretty reliable by all accounts, if that kind of "style" fits her image.

quote:

I do have more time than money. And I've always been curious how cars work. Any good resources for learning the basics?

Find a model of car that you like the look of, go find resources about it, and along the way when you see something you don't understand/don't know what it is, google it until you do. The first step is important because you need to have some motivation to keep you going through some of the more boring stuff. Once you've built up some confidence you can dip your toe in the market.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Did you just post an FD?
That's a car I'd recommend to no one in this thread (AIer who knows what they're doing? awesome.)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Throatwarbler posted:

2009-ish base model MINI can be had for that much, the reliability's not so great but there's lots of style there to overcome that. A Mazda RX8 from the same period will also do if she can handle a manual transmission. A base model V6 Mustang from the last generation is around that much as well, and are pretty reliable by all accounts, if that kind of "style" fits her image.

Duuuuude, she's okay with a Nissan Altima Coupe: don't put those thoughts in her head. There's no way I'm going to find her a newish and "reliable" Mini for that much. She can drive a manual but I don't think I'd get her an RX-8. I'll give you the Mustang.

Any objections to the Altima Coupe for my sister?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 18, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Residency Evil posted:

Duuuuude, she's okay with a Nissan Altima Coupe: don't put those thoughts in her head. There's no way I'm going to find her a newish and "reliable" Mini for that much. She can drive a manual but I don't think I'd get her an RX-8. I'll give you the Mustang.

Any objections to the Altima Coupe for my sister?

It seems plenty doable to me?

Most of MINI's issues are with the turbo/FI/DI engine and the convertible top, the base model hardtop with the NA SOHC engine really aren't that bad. poo poo son IIRC they have the same warranty as BMWs do - 4 years, so a 2010 might still have a bit of warranty left even.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

God bless you.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978
So I'm kicking around buying my first ever new car in the next few months. Acknowledging the depreciation, buying a new car is kind of on my bucket list. This is my first new car, and it will likely be my last. That said, I cannot, for the life of me, decide on one. So here goes:

Proposed Budget: up to 26,000
New or Used:New
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) I'm flexible on this. It will definitely be car rather than truck, as I have a pretty long commute every day, so 28 mpg+ is necessary (no hybrids will be considered). As far as body style, I can make a case for pretty much everything. 2 door would suit my desire for a sporty coupe, 4 door will work out in a utilitarian fashion for me (and I'm sure that my dog would prefer to hop into a four door as opposed to two door.
How will you be using the car?: (Do you tow things? Haul more than 5 people on a regular basis? Have a super long commute? How are you going to use this vehicle? Daily commute. But having something sporty is definitely good. Having some utility would be a good thing too (I might be asking for too much here). Using for at least six years, possibly more (hence the desire for long warranty).
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) Again, I'm flexible on this. High end version of lower-end vehicle is (to me) as good as a low-end version of a high-end vehicle.
What aspects are most important to you? Manual transmission is a must - again a bucketlist item. I'm sure it will probably be my first, and last manual. Greater than 3 years/36000 warranty is not required, but is well considered. Overall, to determine my important aspects, it would be easier to explain the issues I've had with cars that I've already considered.

Scion FR-S
Pros: Sporty as all hell, looks like a hell of a lot of fun to drive. Reviews say it corners extremely well. Basically, everything I've read says that performance wise, this would be the perfect vehicle. Insurance cost is equal to my current car.
Cons: Premium fuel (or 91 anyway). Backseat is more worthless than other coupes I've seen. Price with premium audio and extended warranty is more than I want to pay. Fuel mileage could be better.

Honda Civic-SI Sedan
Pros: More utility through 4 doors, overall more useful as a vehicle for me. More engine power than the base vehicle. Interior looks really nice. (basically) One trim model to deal with and the price is about perfect with extended warranty. Total cost of ownership is ridiculously low (tire cost, resale value, etc).
Cons: I haven't tested it (my ability to drive a manual is currently pretty novice), but every review I've read says that this thing is extremely sloppy in handling. I don't drive particularly aggressively, but I like it to be there when I need it. Additionally, the power of the engine doesn't really perform until you get it in the high RPM zone (doesn't bode well for gas sipping, I would think). Not a HUGE fan of the body style, but it's not terrible.

Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T
Pros: Versus the FR-S, the back seat is slightly more usable. Powerful engine. Uses regular fuel. Factory included warranty is spectacular.
Cons: Premium version loses the cruise control (actually somewhat important considering my highway-centric commute). Total cost of ownership is pretty nasty with asymmetric tires (replacements are about $700 every 30-40k miles).

Ford Focus ST (regular model also considered)
Pros: I LOVE the styling of current Fords (I have a 2008 Focus and like it for the most part). Performs really well and handles like a demon. Made in the US (cheesy, I know, but I'm not immune to this).
Cons: Too damned expensive for a decently (not topped out) equipped model, even without an extended warranty.

Hyundai Veloster Turbo
Pros: It's a love-it or hate-it thing, but I actually love the look of this car. The third door is useful for the dog and other bits I might want to throw in the back (though I do wish they had put the door on the driver side, similar to the RX-8). Turbo model solves the EXTREMELY anemic performance of the normal model (I've actually test driven this one in an automatic). Turbo model is EXTREMELY well appointed. Like all Hyundai's, stellar factory warranty.
Cons: Not sure the car is worth the premium price they're asking. For about the same price, I can get pick up a Scion FR-S or Genesis Coupe and have a whole lot more fun with it. Road noise and vibration are pretty rough. Handling is sluggish.

Hyundai Elantra GT
Pros: Well equipped hatchback for the money. More room-ey than the Veloster.
Cons: For the aforementioned money I'd almost rather have the Veloster turbo. Anemic engine.

At this point it's kind of down to three vehicles: The Honda Civic SI (because of price), the Scion FR-S, and the Genesis Coupe. I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction, or offer some thing I haven't considered.

Cars considered and rejected:
Mazda 3 - any version (I hate the looks, sorry)
Toyota Corolla - No performance model, don't like the drive of the "S". Would consider a new version of the XRS if they had one when I'm ready to buy.
Scion tC - Didn't really care for the looks of the 2013, HATE the 2014.
Dodge Challenger/Ford Mustang/Chevy Camaro - Don't really want Detroit heavy metal.
Mitsubishi Eclipse - poo poo fuel mileage. Was surprised to see them still making this.
Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback - No Manual
Mitsubishi Lancer Sedan - Not wild about the looks.

Psimitry fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 18, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I must point out that the "Detroit Heavy Metal" Mustang V6 is either lighter or about the same curb weight as the Genesis Coupe, depending on trim level. Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. The Mustang historically was never a large or heavy car anyway, there were other cars for that role.

Other cars to consider:

VW GTI/GLI: Might be rubbing up a little too close to the top of your budget.
Buick Verano: Same as above, you really want the turbo and the MT which takes the price up there but it's GM so there should be room to deal.
MINI: Starts at $19k for the base model, go up as high as you like.
Nissan Juke: Like a MINI but probably more reliable.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

I must point out that the "Detroit Heavy Metal" Mustang V6 is either lighter or about the same curb weight as the Genesis Coupe, depending on trim level. Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. The Mustang historically was never a large or heavy car anyway, there were other cars for that role.

Other cars to consider:

VW GTI/GLI: Might be rubbing up a little too close to the top of your budget.
Buick Verano: Same as above, you really want the turbo and the MT which takes the price up there but it's GM so there should be room to deal.
MINI: Starts at $19k for the base model, go up as high as you like.
Nissan Juke: Like a MINI but probably more reliable.

Re: The Camaro/Mustang - I hate both the current Camaro and Mustang. I hate the Mustang slightly less than the Camaro, but not a fan of the current design (I did like the 99-2004 version, and I'd give a testicle for a '66 non-fastback coupe with Auto, A/C, vinyl top and V-8).

GTI/GLI: Considered - Price IS higher than I'd like, VW doesn't hold up all that well over time in my experience (based on the two people I've known that have owned recent ones.
Buick Verano: No manual
Nissan Juke: No Manual
Mini: Someone talk more about this one. From initial examination it appears it would be about as reliable as a VW, and not all that cheap.

Edit: Just found the Dodge Dart....interesting.

Psimitry fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 18, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
<----- Just loving trust me, OK? :colbert:

The Verano only comes with a MT with the turbo engine which in turn only comes with the top spec trim, beyond your price point, but not by much, so you should be able to deal a bit, and it's a pretty drat nice car.

Why worry about "holding up" on a brand new car with a warranty? The MINI has a 4 year warranty too.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 18, 2013

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Doesn't the Juke compare better to a Mini Countryman in size?

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

The Verano only comes with a MT with the turbo engine which in turn only comes with the top spec trim, beyond your price point, but not by much, so you should be able to deal a bit, and it's a pretty drat nice car.

Why worry about "holding up" on a brand new car with a warranty? The MINI has a 4 year warranty too.

Interesting. I went to Buick's website and couldn't find a record of the Buick's manual. Edmunds had it. Strange.

The Juke might be a strong possibility. And when I say "holding up" I'm referring to years 6-7 or even 8.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Psimitry posted:

Edit: Just found the Dodge Dart....interesting.

The Dart with the Turbo is actually quite nice. Dodge really got it right with that car. I'm not sure if it comes in the manual transmission or not, but I believe it does.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Hi! My parents live in Canada, and their car recently bit the dust and would require ~$2000 dollars to repair. They don't have a lot of money, but they're looking to buy a new car.

Proposed Budget: ~$10,000 can go higher but not much
New or Used: Probably used at that price
Body Style: Anything with trunk space and seats that fit 5 people. So probably a 4 door midsize sedan.

How will you be using the car?: Just a half hour commute every day.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? No.

What aspects are most important to you? reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, MPG

Of course they'd love a Toyota Corolla, but finding those in their price range in the area is impossible. A mechanic had recommended to them that they look at Hyundais. Any suggestions?

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
They should probably look at the Hyundai Elantra. It's surprisingly roomy for a compact car and should seat 5 relatively comfortably, gets over 30 MPG on the highway, and you should be able to find them with decent mileage in the ~$10K range. A bunch of my friends and my fiancee all drive Elantras and have had nothing bad to say about them.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

revengeanceful posted:

They should probably look at the Hyundai Elantra. It's surprisingly roomy for a compact car and should seat 5 relatively comfortably, gets over 30 MPG on the highway, and you should be able to find them with decent mileage in the ~$10K range. A bunch of my friends and my fiancee all drive Elantras and have had nothing bad to say about them.

Sounds good. They were thinking of the Elantra, so it sounds like that're going in the right direction. Thanks!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Psimitry posted:

Interesting. I went to Buick's website and couldn't find a record of the Buick's manual. Edmunds had it. Strange.

The Juke might be a strong possibility. And when I say "holding up" I'm referring to years 6-7 or even 8.

If I had to have a manual in your position I would really consider that Buick. I have a really long commute as well (160miles round trip), but I don't miss a manual transmission one bit.

At least go drive one and see if it would be worth bumping up your budget a bit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Psimitry posted:

You will be extremely hard-pressed to find a single brand-new car sold in the US that won't "hold up" for 8 years. Quality of cars has improved across the board over the last decades by leaps and bounds. You will of course need to do the manufacturer-recommended maintenance for any car, but especially since you're avoiding automatics I would not anticipate anything more major than a timing belt or, if you live in the rust belt, perhaps new brakes or something, in the space of 8 years for any new car.

Along a similar vein, you should expect any new car that isn't an exotic (like a lamborghini or something) to last at least 200k miles, and most should go 300k+.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Psimitry posted:

So I'm kicking around buying my first ever new car

Longshot, but you're looking at a Juke - the current crop of crossovers (Honda CR-V, Mazda CX-5, Ford Escape, Subaru Forester, etc) are more car-like than ever. I'm currently averaging 29.2 MPG over the first 3600 miles in my 2013 CR-V with lots of highway driving. You definitely don't mistake the CR-V for a Civic Si, but it actually can take a turn far more quickly than you would expect something that tall... I had mine up US179 / US89A this past weekend and while it doesn't exactly entice you to dive into a corner hard and fast, you don't have to be scared of them either.

Definitely a big swing away from sporty / towards utility, though.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
as an aside: your expense difference between premium and regular fuel is going to be pretty negligible unless you're doing some pretty crazy miles. So don't make that a big deciding factor, especially if you somehow end up choosing a more expensive vehicle because of it. (this usually only happens when people are considering a hybrid).

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

as an aside: your expense difference between premium and regular fuel is going to be pretty negligible unless you're doing some pretty crazy miles. So don't make that a big deciding factor, especially if you somehow end up choosing a more expensive vehicle because of it. (this usually only happens when people are considering a hybrid).

The fuel bit is far from a deciding factor, especially since Scion recommends 91 as opposed to 93 (I think the math worked out to like $60/year). It's the sticker price that keeps me out of that one.

I'm really leaning towards the Genesis coupe, but finding the one I want is not going to be easy in dealer stock. Likely I'm going to have to order one (and there goes any hope of invoice pricing or below).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Have you driven the Gen Coupe? I found it to be extraordinarily underwhelming. You're bench racing the poo poo out of all these cars. Go drive some.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Psimitry posted:

The fuel bit is far from a deciding factor, especially since Scion recommends 91 as opposed to 93 (I think the math worked out to like $60/year). It's the sticker price that keeps me out of that one.

I'm really leaning towards the Genesis coupe, but finding the one I want is not going to be easy in dealer stock. Likely I'm going to have to order one (and there goes any hope of invoice pricing or below).

Most of the premium fuel only vehicles are 91 octane, but 91 octane isn't all that common at most gas stations. I drive about 36k miles per year all over Florida for work and I'd say 10% or less of the gas stations I've stopped at ever have it, so I have to put 93 octane in mine. I'm definitely getting something that takes regular gas next time around. Even if it doesn't get better gas mileage I'll probably save at least $500 a year with how much I drive.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Have you driven the Gen Coupe? I found it to be extraordinarily underwhelming. You're bench racing the poo poo out of all these cars. Go drive some.

I can only do this on some vehicles. As I can't currently drive a manual very well, it's tough to get a feel for one.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
After driving the 200, Fusion, and Mazda 6, I settled on the 6 last night. Thanks for your help, everyone, I really feel like I ended up with the best possible car for me.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Proposed Budget: <$16,000
New or Used: Used, preferably CPO
Body Style: 2 door preferred, hatch or coupe. Will settle for a typical 4 door sedan.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, to and from work and class. Probably averaging 30-45 miles a day. Occasional rare trips of 300 miles plus.
What aspects are most important to you?: I really just want something reliable/cheap to repair. Have had bad luck with cars in the past and this will be my first purchase of a newer car.

I was learning towards a CPO Hyundai or Kia due to the warranty carryover. Elantras and Forte Koups are in my price range and are not completely boring. I test drove a CPO Corolla and was not excited by the car but people seem to praise their reliability.

Anything I am over looking? Mitsubishi seems to have a good warranty as well, but I only ever hear negative things about their cars.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Diplomat fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 19, 2013

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I was 100% set on a 2013 Genesis Coupe until I actually went and drove one last year. It shattered all of my spec-comparing bench-racing excitement and I'm glad I went with a V6 Mustang over the Gencoupe.

I know everybody has different tastes, but something just doesn't click with the Genesis Coupe for me. Psimitry, it sounds like stretching your budget for a Focus ST is your best bet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Diplomat posted:

Anything I am over looking? Mitsubishi seems to have a good warranty as well, but I only ever hear negative things about their cars.

Stay away from Mitsubishi; for the most part their line is ancient and there are significant doubts that they will remain in the US long-term.

If low maintenance and long term warranty are your only primary concerns, it's hard to go wrong with something new or nearly-new in your price range (aside from perhaps Mitsu). This gets trotted out at least once or twice a page; nearly everything on the market (and especially everything that gets seriously recommended in here) will run for at least 100k miles with nearly zero non-scheduled maintenance, and to 200k with relatively little non-scheduled maintenance. You might want to consider new for the effectively longer factory warranty, unless $16k has to include taxes and fees; there are some damned decent cars that sticker in the $15-17k range.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Diplomat posted:

I really just want something reliable/cheap to repair.

This is a recurring theme in this thread. Almost any modern car manufactured in the last decade will be reliable to the 150,000 mile mark as long as the factory service schedule is followed.

If your owners manual says change the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles, and you don't do it, and your transmission blows up 6 years and 85,000 miles later, that really isn't the cars fault. A transmission fluid change runs about 200 dollars and people are too cheap to maintain their 20,000 dollar car. Same thing with timing belts. A timing belt is usually a 650 to 800 dollar job depending on where you take it. Most folks don't like spending that kind of money on car maintenance, but then the belt snaps and the engine gets hosed and they're out 3 or 4 thousand dollars. Same thing for not rotating the tires, or getting the brakes checked when they start to squeak. Moral of the story: Take care of your car and it will last a nice long time.

The Hyundai/Kia's are good cars, so are the Corrolla's and Ford Focus. Mitsubishi doesn't make a bad car really, they're just way out of date technology wise and when compared to other cars of a similar year they're just not as good. Not bad, just not as good. A couple years ago a guy I worked with bought a new Galant. Nothing wrong with it really other than the power train was about a decade out of date compared to other car manufacturers offerings. (Old tech 4 cyl engine and 4spd transmission)

CPO Corolla's are great choices, not sure what the used car market is like where you live but here the pricing on them is insane. 36K miles on a former rental going for 2K under MSRP. Might as well buy new at that point.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Sanity check needed:

I'm closing in on a deal for a new base 2013 Fusion. Negotiating at about 21k OTD which seems like a pretty good offer.

My anxious mind is now telling me to save $ and buy a used 2012 basic Mazda6. There are TONS on the market with about 20k miles that I could acquire for $14-15k OTD.

I'm not being stretched financially buying the new Fusion. But I can't help but think I'm paying $7000 just because its a new car. Am I making a sound decision by buying the Fusion?

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 20, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CatchrNdRy posted:

Sanity check needed:

I'm closing in on a deal for a new base 2013 Fusion. Negotiating at about 21k OTD which seems like a pretty good offer.

My anxious mind is now telling me to save $ and buy a used 2012 basic Mazda6. There are TONS on the market with about 30k miles that I could acquire for $14-15k OTD.

I'm not being stretched financially buying the new Fusion. But I can't help but think I'm paying $7000 just because its a new car. Am I making a sound decision by buying the Fusion?

Can you afford it? Do you like the Fusion more?

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Rhyno posted:

Can you afford it? Do you like the Fusion more?

Buying the Fusion would not cause financial heartache.

I do "like" the Fusion more, but can I really know till many months of ownership later? The Fusion also seems to be of higher quality interiors, safety ratings and reliability. and of course no mileage if its new. Is that worth $7000?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Fusion is a brand new car with brand new untested engines many of which use forced induction and direct injection. It's not really a given that the reliability will be better even versus a used Mazda6, given Ford's track record so far.

I guess I just don't care for the new Fusion. Have you test driven the new Mazda6 and the Accord?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CatchrNdRy posted:

Yes buying the Fusion would not cause financial heartache.

I do "like" the Fusion more, but can one really know, till many months of ownership later? The Fusion also seems to be of higher quality interiors, safety ratings and reliability. and of course no mileage if its new. Is that worth $7000?

None of us can answer that question.

The new Fusion is an awesome car though, I'd be pretty torn as well.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

CatchrNdRy posted:

Sanity check needed:

My anxious mind is now telling me to save $ and buy a used 2012 basic Mazda6. There are TONS on the market with about 20k miles that I could acquire for $14-15k OTD.

You also might wanna check out a brand-new Mazda6. All indications are that they're a hoot to drive, although they're using new and untried engines like the Fusion, so again, reliability might possibly be a concern. Plus their decently-equipped bottom trim level is cheaper than the Fusion.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 20, 2013

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Rhyno posted:

None of us can answer that question.

The new Fusion is an awesome car though, I'd be pretty torn as well.

Aww dammit, I was hoping to return to this thread with either "A new 2013 Ford Fusion is DEFINITELY not worth -10% off invoice against a used 2012 Mazda6" or the opposite.

Friar Zucchini posted:

You also might wanna check out a brand-new Mazda6. All indications are that they're a hoot to drive, although they're using new and untried engines like the Fusion, so again, reliability might possibly be a concern. Plus their decently-equipped bottom trim level is cheaper than the Fusion.

Throatwarbler posted:

The Fusion is a brand new car with brand new untested engines many of which use forced induction and direct injection. It's not really a given that the reliability will be better even versus a used Mazda6, given Ford's track record so far.

I guess I just don't care for the new Fusion. Have you test driven the new Mazda6 and the Accord?

Well the base model Fusion I'm interested in only has the tried and true 2.5L of the old Fusions. I have not driven the new 6 or Accord, I feel confused enough already. I do like the snub nose of the Fusion and interior look.

For me, its inherently a more philosophical question of selecting a "unique looking new car" vs "much more inexpensive, blander but perfectly acceptable used car".

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 20, 2013

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
You're setting yourself up to have buyer's remorse no matter what. :(

If you like the Fusion, have the money, and like the deal, pull the trigger. There's nothing obviously terrible about the car, and if money concerns aren't a big deal, I'd advise anyone who isn't a gear head to go new.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Weinertron posted:

I know everybody has different tastes, but something just doesn't click with the Genesis Coupe for me. Psimitry, it sounds like stretching your budget for a Focus ST is your best bet.

Actually, it's not really maxing out my budget. As I looked at the configuration I had, I had it including all the top-end options. Once I brought it down to the midgrade, it became affordable.

I really need to get out and do some test-driving. Right now it's down to the FR-S and the Focus-ST

(of course, that can change at a moment's notice, depending on how my mood strikes me or whatever new grand scheme I come up with)

Edit: so on the subject of learning one's first manual, how does one go about that? None of my friends have one for me to practice on. I am... KIND of capable with one (a buddy of mine had one when I was 16 (nearly 20 years ago) in the day that I practiced with) I'm sure I would need about 2 hours with one to become competent with one.

How do I go about getting to the point where hopefully I could at least drive my shiny new car back from the lot without having to have my girlfriend do it for me?

Psimitry fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 20, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Psimitry posted:

Edit: so on the subject of learning one's first manual, how does one go about that? None of my friends have one for me to practice on. I am... KIND of capable with one (a buddy of mine had one when I was 16 (nearly 20 years ago) in the day that I practiced with) I'm sure I would need about 2 hours with one to become competent with one.

How do I go about getting to the point where hopefully I could at least drive my shiny new car back from the lot without having to have my girlfriend do it for me?

There is an entire industry around teaching people how to drive. Call up any driver's ed place and tell them you want to learn stick.

Or for more fun, find your local racetrack and see if there's a performance driving school that has their own cars. Expect to pay at least a couple hundred bucks, but it will probably be more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CatchrNdRy posted:

Buying the Fusion would not cause financial heartache.

I do "like" the Fusion more, but can I really know till many months of ownership later? The Fusion also seems to be of higher quality interiors, safety ratings and reliability. and of course no mileage if its new. Is that worth $7000?

That's up to you. I personally like new cars and choose to spend a portion of my disposable income on them. It's not a smart financial decision academically speaking. The sweet spot is buying 2 to 3 year old used/cpo vehicles and dumping them after 2 to 3 years. Years 3 to 6 tend to be very reliable mechanically speaking, but easy on the depreciation curve.