Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.

PittTheElder posted:

And probably the Gypsies I guess.

Probably? It's the one thing everyone agrees on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

I'm guessing they drink nothing but samogon in Belarus, but what the are they chugging in Armenia?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Countries in Europe not covered in heavy fog.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

redscare posted:

I'm guessing they drink nothing but samogon in Belarus, but what the are they chugging in Armenia?
A cursory search on Google leads me to believe its oghi, a fruit vodka, which is widely produced as moonshine. (And which is not the same as the oghi of the diaspora, which is basically like arak/raki/ouzu.) Must be pretty good given the quantities they're consuming.

Dusseldorf posted:

Countries in Europe not covered in heavy fog.
Hah. :haw: The fact that some countries simply disappear was on purpose though, I wanted to make the differences really stand out. Looks a bit silly on that map I suppose, given how few countries are really visible.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 17, 2013

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

redscare posted:

Oghi or arak/aragh. According to a journal posted online by an Armenian-American, it's pretty common, and gathering the fruit for it is something of a community activity, even in parts of what are now Turkey: http://www.road-to-armenia.com/scenes/journal3.html

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If it's just the various distilled liquors of each country, wouldn't it be under the spirits map instead of 'others'?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Fun map made by a prolific, but rather random, mapper of OTL thing on the Althist discussion board.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PrinceRandom posted:

Fun map made by a prolific, but rather random, mapper of OTL thing on the Althist discussion board.

Why is Sweden grey? It's had a few female monarchs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why is Sweden grey? It's had a few female monarchs.

I'm assuming monarchs don't count or else the UK would be purple.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

computer parts posted:

Yeah, I would guess it's probably elected HoG's. But I might be able to find where I got it from to clarify.

Edit: From his DA
(The above map shows countries that have or had Female Leaders, that is Elected or Appointed Heads of State and/or Heads of Government (IE not Monarchs) in modern history.)

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

PrinceRandom posted:

But there's never been a female Premier of the People's Republic of China.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

computer parts posted:

Why is China pink then?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

computer parts posted:

Canada too, and Belize and some others.

Also Japan, Hungary, the Netherlands, Spain, and Portugal would be pink.

Also a lot of other places depending on how far you want to go back.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Soong Ching-ling served as the President for number of times according to

http://www.wikigender.org/index.php/Female_Heads_of_State

Edit: Huh, apparently there is a wiki list and map.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_elected_or_appointed_female_heads_of_state

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 18, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Song Qingling for about served as an acting head of state a few times.

E;f,b

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Song Qingling for about served as an acting head of state a few times.

E;f,b

She was honorary president for 12 days in 1981.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Dusseldorf posted:

The wiki list also includes her almost 4 years as Co-Chairperson from 68-72.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Something to throw out when Hilary Clinton runs in 2016 and the media inevitably say "Hurp is Mrca ready for a female President?"

Yeah I think if all those Latin American, Asian, and even :siren:Muslim:siren: countries can handle it, the US can.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

What about Empress Dowager Cixi?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Plutonis posted:

What about Empress Dowager Cixi?

Not the PRC. Austria and Hungary get marked for Maria Theresa, after all.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

America needs to be pink to honor the legacy of Nancy Reagan, our worst female president.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Phlegmish posted:

Moldova is determined to be the worst European country in everything.

Not everything. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy1B3agGNxw

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ErichZahn posted:

America needs to be pink to honor the legacy of Nancy Reagan, our worst female president.

She's no Edith Wilson to be sure.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Dusseldorf posted:

The power structure of the PRC has occasionally been... complicated, to say the least. Essentially the presidency technically didn't exist for a couple decades because Mao was loving weird, but she and her co-vice chair performed many of the duties that had traditionally been performed by the president.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ah yes, Song Qingling's deathbed honorary presidency. A great moment for empowered women in China. She was 88 years old and already in bed dying when they gave her a meaningless title because she was Sun Yat-sen's widow and a symbol of legitimacy. To give you an idea of the importance of the title, it was created for that occasion, never used before or since, and has no authority or responsibilities. It was a title specifically created for an octogenarian dying in bed whose husband was important 50 years ago.

China has been moving backward on women's rights and women's empowerment ever since the 1980s unfortunately.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

If it's just the various distilled liquors of each country, wouldn't it be under the spirits map instead of 'others'?
I can only assume it's a way to make countries that have a tradition of making moonshine stand out. That's really the only thing that makes sense to me, because wouldn't everything technically fall under either beer, wine or spirits?

Yeah, Moldova is generally one of the better performers at Eurovision, even if they're not rewarded for it.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

Something to throw out when Hilary Clinton runs in 2016 and the media inevitably say "Hurp is Mrca ready for a female President?"

Yeah I think if all those Latin American, Asian, and even :siren:Muslim:siren: countries can handle it, the US can.

Yeah, but on the other hand it's Hilary Clinton.

Purno
Aug 6, 2008

On the same topic, I made this:

Interesting to see the US and UK rank behind such progressive nations as Iraq, Afghanistan and Sudan.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Purno posted:

On the same topic, I made this:

Interesting to see the US and UK rank behind such progressive nations as Iraq, Afghanistan and Sudan.

Iraq, Afghanistan and Sudan have quotas that force the government to allow women into parliament. In Afghanistan, at least sixty-eight members of the lower house must be women. In Iraq and Sudan, at least a quarter of parliament must be female. There are similar quotas for ethnic and religious minorities.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The US should be Red because it doesn't have a parliament.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

computer parts posted:

That's not really true. America doesn't have a parliamentary system since the executive branch is not entirely dependent on the legislature, but the United States Congress is still a (bicameral) parliament in the general sense of the word.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 18, 2013

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

computer parts posted:

A lot of countries don't by that narrow definition.

Japan? Diet
China? National People's Congress
Mexico? Congress of the Union

Or you could use the other meaning as "any legislative body" and not simply something from the Westminster system.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phlegmish posted:

That's not really true. America doesn't have a parliamentary system since the executive branch is not entirely dependent on the legislature, but the United States Congress is still a (bicameral) parliament in the general sense of the word.

I was being cheeky but specifically the Congress is a reaction to the idea of a Parliament. It's a legislative body but strictly is not a parliament.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

computer parts posted:

I was being cheeky but specifically the Congress is a reaction to the idea of a Parliament. It's a legislative body but strictly is not a parliament.

How is it not?

Edit- is this another one of those American things where they refuse to use the normal definitions of words like "America is a republic not a democracy".

marktheando fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 18, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

marktheando posted:

How is it not?

Edit- is this another one of those American things where they refuse to use the normal definitions of words like "America is a republic not a democracy".

No, the Parliament is meant to be the end-be all legislative body. A Congress is a collection of self governing bodies who meet and (occasionally) agree to follow certain actions. Basically like the UN, except more formalized with some balance of power.

The idea is that the states are individual...well, states (countries) which make a body to govern, while a parliament is by definition the highest form of law making in the country.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

marktheando posted:

How is it not?

Well, going of the OED's definitions:

1. A formal conference or council, esp. an assembly of magnates summoned (usually by a monarch) for the discussion of some matter or matters of general importance. Now hist. except as an earlier stage of sense 2, into which, in later use, it merged. (This is labeled "historical" and does not apply)
2. The supreme executive legislature of the United Kingdom, consisting of the Sovereign, the House of Lords, composed of peers and bishops, and the House of Commons, composed of the elected members. (clearly not applicable to the U.S. Congress).
3. The title of the corresponding legislative bodies in other countries. Formerly: applied to the legislative assemblies of Scotland and Ireland, and the local deliberative assemblies of some British colonies (now hist.). In modern use: the title of the legislative bodies of certain other countries (esp. former British dependencies, as Australia, Canada, etc.). Also applied to the modern Scottish assembly, and, more generally, to the legislative assemblies of other countries, as France, Germany, Russia, etc. (cf. also sense 5). (European Parliament n. at European adj. and n. Special uses 2b.)

These are then followed by several irrelevant definitions. The meaning I get from their definitions is that they consider legislative bodies called "Parliament" to be parliaments. Their definition for "congress" is similar and they do discuss many of the behaviors of Congress (e.g., two year terms). So, while a country is free to call its legislative assembly whatever it wants, it seems there are some typical properties of parliaments and congresses that differ. Parliaments tend to exist in systems with separate heads of state and government, the executive is dependent on the legislature, and a given parliament exists for an indeterminate term. Congresses tend to exist in systems with a unified executive (although there are counter-examples) that is independent of the legislature and the congress tends to have a fixed term.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

PrinceRandom posted:

Including France is not really right, Edith Cresson was named Prime Minister by President François Mitterand, and since it wasn't a cohabitation he was the one who really had power.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

computer parts posted:

No, the Parliament is meant to be the end-be all legislative body. A Congress is a collection of self governing bodies who meet and (occasionally) agree to follow certain actions. Basically like the UN, except more formalized with some balance of power.

The idea is that the states are individual...well, states (countries) which make a body to govern, while a parliament is by definition the highest form of law making in the country.

...OK so it is an American definition. In the UK the House of Commons (parliament) is the lower chamber and the House of Lords can send bills back. For much of history the monarch could refuse to sign a bill into law. There is also the Scottish parliament which has its power limited to certain areas. The word parliament implies nothing about being the highest form of power. In theory the UK parliaments gets all its power from the monarch anyway.

Yes the short version is that they are two words meaning the same thing, an assembly of politicians who meet to vote on laws and things.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Nobody cares what you call your particular poorly arranged legislative body in whatever country it exists in, they are likely all terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

marktheando posted:

Yes the short version is that they are two words meaning the same thing, an assembly of politicians who meet to vote on laws and things.

Yes, the same way pickup-truck and wheelbarrow mean the same thing, a wheeled container for transporting things.