Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Good Canadian Boy posted:

Hey guys, me and my buddy just started playing this game. We tried a Warrior & Mystic for a few levels, but dunno if they are for us. We're looking for two classes that will synergize really well together for levelling.

Also, myself personally prefer ranged/magic classes. When I played WoW I loved shadowpriest/druid/mage. What would be the best class for me to play that either does tons of dps or has tons of utility for levelling out of a caster or archer or priest/mystic? Also, I'm a sucker for cool looking skills, so whichever class has the neatest looking skills is probably #1 in my book.

Any suggestions?

Warrior/Mystic is a really good combo for leveling, in my opinion. You'll be able to take on a lot of BAMs early on with just the two of you, since he can pull all the agro, while you keep him alive. You could try Priest instead of Mystic for a similar combo, from what I can tell (I've never played mystic) you'll lose some utility, but get better healing and more offensive stuff. Priests need to be close in to actually do any damage though, which might be an issue for you. I also found with my priest that if I were try and start damaging things I'd rapidly burn through all my mana and not have enough to properly keep my partner alive in a serious fight.

You could try going Sorceror, they have big DPS and fairly flashy ranged skills, but you'll really want your partner to be a Warrior/Lancer if you're gonna fight BAMs. Sorcerers draw insane amounts of agro without a tank around, and you only have 3 dodge skills (2 of which share a cooldown) to stay alive if the BAM comes after you.

If you're not fighting BAMs, then at least at level 40 we've never really come across any normal mobs that pose a serious threat, so you may as well both choose whichever classes you like better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!

Good Canadian Boy posted:

When I played WoW I loved shadowpriest/druid/mage.

I would probably go with a Sorcerer if you want a decent mix of utility and flashy damage spells. The one thing I definitely wouldn't roll would be a Priest, unless you really liked healing because you can't do much else at endgame. An Archer might also be a good choice but I haven't played one to 60 to give you a better opinion.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Lancer/Sorceror is actually pretty good too. If you choose to quest level you can easily round up a bunch of trash and AOE down everything quicklike.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I just wasted a shitload of money to +12 conjunct gloves... for 5% more damage. Ugghhhhhhhhhh

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

I swear to god that gloves are cursed items. I don't think that I have ever managed to quickly MW, roll perfect stats and then enchant a single pair without considerable cost.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I'm not even mad about the monetary cost.

I'm mad that it's a loving 5% increase.

21k -> 22k HT crits against a +9 MW chest conjunct zerker. I want to cry.

(Then again, the HT is part of a combo op -> startling kick -> ht -> oh -> ms and zerkers take less damage than lancers in PVP)

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
At least you +12ed your gloves. Mine still aren't masterworked after 119 MES and well over 2000 CES. :>

Saving up more gold for another gigantic MES bonfire. Masterworking is easily the worst thing about this game.

I have nearly a full bank tab of gold chest/glove fodder. If only you could trade in your daily points (other than Agnitor) for MES scrolls...

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

WanderingKid posted:

Masterworking is easily the worst thing about this game.
As a very recent 60, this is exactly what I've been thinking as I look into what lies ahead. Kinda dreading the moment I get the weapon I should Masterwork and already thinking, "Ehhh, maybe I don't care what exactly all the bonuses are," just to get it done with slightly less agony.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Bonuses are more important than masterworking/enchanting to +12 :v

I mean you still should MW it but once you MW it you have to roll it properly too

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

WanderingKid posted:

At least you +12ed your gloves. Mine still aren't masterworked after 119 MES and well over 2000 CES. :>

Saving up more gold for another gigantic MES bonfire. Masterworking is easily the worst thing about this game.

I have nearly a full bank tab of gold chest/glove fodder. If only you could trade in your daily points (other than Agnitor) for MES scrolls...

Is there a guide that explains how this end-game enchanting stuff works? Cos I've read your post like 6 times, and I still have no idea it means :shobon:

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

KaneTW posted:

Bonuses are more important than masterworking/enchanting to +12 :v

I mean you still should MW it but once you MW it you have to roll it properly too
Maybe it'll all work out perfectly the first time for everything!

:(

PhantomBowie
Sep 3, 2009

"I always had a repulsive need to be something more than human."
I'm looking to get back into this game again. I haven't played since release. What are some major changes I can expect? I know its free to play, but I just saw an old checking account get charged a monthly fee....so I assume i get some sort of benefit for probably having a premium account? (Assuming this is like SWTOR)

Are the lower lvl areas still lively and kicking?

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Gerblyn posted:

Is there a guide that explains how this end-game enchanting stuff works? Cos I've read your post like 6 times, and I still have no idea it means :shobon:

http://nezroy.com/tera-guide/

At some point when you are level 60 you will have endgame gear and you will enchant it to +9. Each level you enchant increases the base stats and at +3, +6 and +9 usually gives you can extra ability. i.e. I have got an extra line on my gloves at +3 which gives +4.5% healing on my Mystic which is pretty nice.

+9 is the maximum level you can enchant an item to. Some items can be enchanted to +12 and these are called masterwork items. Aside from increasing base stats further, you also get a separate line of abilities on +10, +11 and +12 and these are usually very significant. For example, my masterwork robe gives +2 endurance on +10, +11 and +12 for a total of +6 endurance. It makes the difference between getting one shot by a boss monster or another player and surviving long enough to self heal etc.

You can make normal items into masterwork items by sealing them and unsealing them (randomizing the stats) using Enigmatic Scrolls. Think of it like unIDing an item and IDing it again. Each time you do this, there is a small chance that the item will become masterwork. For Master Enigmatic Scrolls (MES) this chance is said to be 3%. For Common Enigmatic Scrolls (CES) this chance is said to be 0.05%. CES costs about 5g each. MES costs around 300g each so if you are unlucky, you can flush a fortune down the toilet and get nowhere.

Some people get lucky and masterwork an item in a few scrolls. Some people are very unlucky and use hundreds of MES and thousands of CES (tens of thousands of gold) and do not masterwork. Thats what the title of this thread refers to. Some people masterwork the wrong item on the wrong class with the wrong race i.e. KaneTW who masterworked a visionmaker blade for his Amani Slayer when he should have masterworked a visionmaker disc for his Amani sorc (which he should have race changed to an Ellin). Cough. :shobon:

Once you masterwork an item it just unlocks the ability to enchant an item to +12. You still need to enchant it up to +12 using a very expensive catalyst (Masterwork Alkahest at roughly 1100g per attempt on tier 14 gear) and a "fodder" item - usually gold and usually around 300g per attempt.

Enchanting can fail often but I don't find it too bad since even if it takes you 30 attempts to go from +9 to +10, you feel like you have made some progress. Your item is a little bit better and you unlock an extra ability line. It may be much more expensive and time consuming than you had hoped but you feel like you are going forward albeit slowly when you gain +1 enchantment level.

Masterworking happens or it doesn't. There are no increments and it feels very arbitrary because its blind luck. I think this game is very fun and is easily the best free to play game I've played but masterworking endgame gear can be a withering experience. There are few things less enjoyable in this game than playing for weeks, saving up 50k gold and burning all of it on MES rolls which all fail to masterwork.

To rub salt in the wound, you'll sometimes hear someone on the EME forums or in /guild chat talk about how they masterworked their weapon in 6 scrolls and enchanted to +12 in 5 attempts. RNG is RNG.

One thing is pretty certain though. If you want to pvp, you have to be rolling in all +12 gear or you will get :siren: loving facerolled :siren: by all the +12 visionmakers and full conjuncts that like to queue arenas even at low ELO.

I've kept track of the number of scrolls used to masterwork my gear so far:

Weapon - 81 MES and 216 CES (masterworked with a MES)
Boots - 60 MES and 85 CES (masterworked with a CES)
Gloves - 143 MES and more than 2000 CES (masterworked with a MES)
Robe - bought this pre masterworked from someone in DGKK. Thank loving god. I got +9% enchantment correction on this going from +11 to +12 which means I failed to enchant many times.
PvP Robe - 40 MES (still not masterworked)

Sometimes you hear about people with luck so bad, its like they have been cursed. like over 300 MES dumped into one item that failed to masterwork. And then they get a 15% correction trying to go from +9 to +10. GG.

Edit: there is now a raid instance in the game called Kelsaik's Nest XX which can drop endgame (Regent equivalent) gear that masterworks easily. The chance to masterwork is on the order of 10x higher or more. However this raid is difficult to organize and can one shot players in full +12 super endgame pve gear if they make a mistake.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 17, 2013

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Thanks, that was helpful! I assume this is why the OP says I should start saving gold early then...

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Yeah. Sort of. Early on its more about not having anything to spend gold on that will help you very much (or for very long), so you might as well just hang on to it until the cash will make a difference for more than a 5 hours game time. The main (red) quests give you a steady stream of gear upgrades that will frequently make your previous (enchanted) gear obsolete.

Its not necessary to pick up every pile of copper and silver from every trash mob and horde your pennies. Your money making ability will be nothing compared to what it will be when you are level 60. For example, I had about 8k gold saved from leveling 1 to 60 and I spent most of it on jewelry with zyrk slots.

At level 60 you can do daily quests/Nexus for decent gear. These take about 75 minutes and give you 2.5k+ gold per day before you even spend faction points (which you can trade in for expensive zyrks, gold fodder, MES etc). This does not include drops. When you have Jax/UTI/Nexus gear you'll have an easier time running the late game dungeons which get you even more gold.

The rng crapshoot that is masterworking/enchanting typically makes it cost prohibitive to attempt on anything except endgame gear. Unless you have multiple alts and are rich as gently caress, you probably wont enchant leveling gear higher than +6 and you will never attempt to masterwork it.

At level 60 the cost of buying your gear will very likely be dwarfed by the cost of masterworking and enchanting it, and way down the line, locking stat lines with spellbinds + rerolling to get perfect stats.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 14, 2013

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

It's OK the quill selling income will give me the money to make an orbicular in no time!! (Buff slayer PvP pleeeeeaaaase)

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

KaneTW posted:

It's OK the quill selling income will give me the money to make an orbicular in no time!! (Buff slayer PvP pleeeeeaaaase)

Since I've done MCHM only about 10 times and only during double drop, how often do you see them drop now? Cause I went like 5 runs during double drop + rookie buff without one.

Straithate fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 15, 2013

Marceline Abadeer
Oct 14, 2012

Straithate posted:

I swear to god that gloves are cursed items. I don't think that I have ever managed to quickly MW, roll perfect stats and then enchant a single pair without considerable cost.

Seems to be that way. I don't know why RNG thinks my sorc needs every rerollable stat on her conjunct gloves to be +healing, but by god does it refuse to budge on the decision.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
So we have a pretty huge patch coming on July 2. Nobody seems to be forthcoming about posting what's in it, though, so here's what I've gathered from browsing through the official forums until I couldn't take it anymore. I'm likely missing a lot, so if anyone could add what they know, that would be appreciated.
    • Archers are getting an across the board 20% buff to the base damage of their skills, except Arrow and Arrow Volley, which are getting more.
    • Archer stances no longer decrease attack/move speed, but actually increase them by a small amount, in exchange for the stances only granting 20 instead of 50 power.
    • Heals can crit for 1.5x damage. Heals with multiple ticks can crit on individual ticks.
    • Mystics are getting thralls that aren't lovely (what)
    • Some sort of nebulous priest buff that makes them actually competitive with mystics at endgame dungeons that aren't KNHM (something to do with energy stars?)

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

So we have a pretty huge patch coming on July 2. Nobody seems to be forthcoming about posting what's in it, though, so here's what I've gathered from browsing through the official forums until I couldn't take it anymore. I'm likely missing a lot, so if anyone could add what they know, that would be appreciated.
    • Archers are getting an across the board 20% buff to the base damage of their skills, except Arrow and Arrow Volley, which are getting more.
    • Archer stances no longer decrease attack/move speed, but actually increase them by a small amount, in exchange for the stances only granting 20 instead of 50 power.
    • Heals can crit for 1.5x damage. Heals with multiple ticks can crit on individual ticks.
    • Some sort of nebulous priest buff that makes them actually competitive with mystics at endgame dungeons that aren't KNHM (something to do with energy stars?)

20% buff to base damage? I thought it was just 10%! Nice.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Does anyone have any low level gear they mind parting with to a newbie? I've seemed to have outleveled my gear and can't afford any of this low level crap on the broker. I'm level 19 and the gear for lvl 17-19 stuff is 10-55g which is a crazy amount for me right now.

EDIT: I'm a sorc.

John Q. Sixpublic
Oct 8, 2008
If you just keep leveling in about half an hour you will have better gear. Don't buy anything off the broker while leveling is my advice.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Mux posted:

Does anyone have any low level gear they mind parting with to a newbie? I've seemed to have outleveled my gear and can't afford any of this low level crap on the broker. I'm level 19 and the gear for lvl 17-19 stuff is 10-55g which is a crazy amount for me right now.

EDIT: I'm a sorc.

The Bastion of Lok dungeon should be unlocked for you (otherwise it unlocks at lvl 20), just do that a few times and you'll be over geared as all hell. You don't even need to to yell in LFG chat about it, just use instance matching to look for a group then keep playing, it'll teleport you into the dungeon when it's got enough people.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Don't forget the most important part: They're taking our horses and turning them into glue.

RIP White Stallion.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

John Q. Sixpublic posted:

If you just keep leveling in about half an hour you will have better gear. Don't buy anything off the broker while leveling is my advice.

I've been grinding on mobs like pretty much everyone else suggests for fast leveling. My gear never seems to keep up unless I'm doing a BAM group and the queue for instances never seems to pop. I've been in queue for about 45 mins now for Sinestral Manor. :smith:

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Mux posted:

I've been grinding on mobs like pretty much everyone else suggests for fast leveling. My gear never seems to keep up unless I'm doing a BAM group and the queue for instances never seems to pop. I've been in queue for about 45 mins now for Sinestral Manor. :smith:

I wouldn't suggest that you grind mobs if you don't already have a lot of gold from leveling another character or selling EMP or something. To do it effectively you really need to be able to get the best in tier gear at certain levels, otherwise, it is going to be slow.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Mux posted:

Yeah, on a first character you should probably quest, even if you're capable of grinding, so you can build up gold.

Expect queues like that forever on a DPS, though. Just do other things, they will rarely be faster unless you're partied with a tank or healer.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Yeah, on a first character you should probably quest, even if you're capable of grinding, so you can build up gold.

Expect queues like that forever on a DPS, though. Just do other things, they will rarely be faster unless you're partied with a tank or healer.

The weapon gift boxes help - they're enchantable and I think best-in-tier outside from some super rare dungeon drops. When did they start those? I don't remember them on my first character but all my alts have them.

Honestly it's best to glance at quest rewards - if it drops better EQ than you have, do it.

Edit: It'd be nice if they did something for jewlery, I junk extra pieces since they're completely worthless.

There's like a half dozen in the entire game that have any value.

Harik fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 16, 2013

Kantom
Nov 22, 2010
I've just decided to give this game another go and there are a few things which aren't immediately obvious or answered by 30 seconds of googling.

Is crafting the only source of healing potions? I got 40 odd of the Healing Elixir II but those really don't cut it as my level increases and my instance of soloing all the BAMs has left me with none left.

In dungeons, is there any way of seeing if I am being utterly useless or not? It's quite nice to not have someone linking recount every 2 minutes but for all I know I'm being carried through these dungeons. One thing I've noticed is that in the 3 dungeon runs I've done so far everyone else seems to lose stamina a lot faster than me, does it go down faster the more damage you take?

Speaking of stamina, what is the point of it? I mean from the view of the game developers why is it in the game and why is it a good thing?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

It's a Korean thing to prevent people from grinding for hours without pause.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

KaneTW posted:

It's a Korean thing to prevent people from grinding for hours without pause.

Combat panacea / cleric of restoration are so cheap as to make that pointless. Although I guess if kTERA has master alks available for gold they wouldn't have the hilariously terrible inflation problem we have here.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Can I get a "BAM soloing for dummies" tutorial in here? I know about learning patterns and such, but should I have the most expensive gear on the broker to even consider it? How many levels above the BAM should I be? I do pretty decently with my Sorcerer, but it's a slow process, and the second I get hit I'm instagibbed.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Having a gear and level advantage will make it go faster. Eventually you'll get enough defence/endurance from your gear to not take any damage at all and you'll get enough attack/power to one shot BAMs that you are like 10 levels above.

In general you probably shouldn't solo BAMs for exp unless you outgear/outlevel them because the exp you get for the time and effort invested is not worth it. I left all BAM quests until I was much higher level and then just went back and one/two shot all BAMs up to level 40.

Fighting BAMs is good practice for learning boss archetypes. Its still better to learn them in a party where you have a tank controlling aggro.

For instance, against dragon BAMs you want to do the "standard dragon strat". i.e. if you don't want to get hit, you need to position yourself about 15 to 18 metres either side of the rear leg, never at the front or rear.

For Giant BAMs you want to be within 7 metres to the rear, or rear left/right, not at the sides and never at the front.

Getting the positioning down will help you learn how to deal with the unique bosses later on.

i.e. For Meldita (last boss of Argon Corpus), you always want to be 6-7 metres out and always at a diagonal to Meldita's "eye". If you do this you will not get hit by any of its attacks except the random ice "circle" (which you need to iframe or evade on reaction).

95% of the people instance queuing Argon Corpus do not understand this and make a real meal out of it, when it should be an easy boss to defeat.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

How can people die on ACNM meldita in ACNM period? Even in a jax chest cloth can eat everything.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I've asked myself the same thing, but they still manage it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Can I get a "BAM soloing for dummies" tutorial in here? I know about learning patterns and such, but should I have the most expensive gear on the broker to even consider it? How many levels above the BAM should I be? I do pretty decently with my Sorcerer, but it's a slow process, and the second I get hit I'm instagibbed.

The most important thing I learnt while fighting BAMs as a sorcerer is that you want to only backstep/teleport/glacial retreat once the BAM actually gets to you. If you evade while the BAM is closing on you, then you'll just make a bit of distance and he'll keep chasing, however if you do it just as he gets to you, he'll actually stop and do an attack, giving you some breathing room to attack him and let your evade skills cool down.

Also, be aware of which skills have a casting time, and which don't. Some skills like Flaming Barrage have just enough of a casting time to get you in trouble if you cast them at the wrong time, while others, like Magma Bomb and Ice Needle are fast enough that you can usually get away with them whenever you like.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

KaneTW posted:

How can people die on ACNM meldita in ACNM period? Even in a jax chest cloth can eat everything.

You wouldn't believe how many people die to Meldita in acnm when instance queuing. Its really amazing. You are just standing still with 1 finger on iframe/evade hotkey (because all you literally need to do is stand on a diagonal and jump out of the red circle), whilst your 4 team mates are running around like headless chickens, with purple health bars of varying length, but all of which are near death.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 18, 2013

Marceline Abadeer
Oct 14, 2012
Had a sorc in one run who died five times to the laser/red circle combo. I stopped rezzing him.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

KaneTW posted:

Being slow as poo poo to get to your feet, basically. Meldita likes to knock you down then do the ice AOE. Couple that with the first worm spawning and it's really easy to die if you end up on your rear end.

Once you get the positioning down you're unlikely to be hit by more than one attack in a row though.

Another big problem is DPS classes don't get to do quest instances more than once - there's literal hours of queueing for them. I had no idea how much better a lancer had it - if I want to do SM, I click "Do SM right now" and teleport into the dungon 5 seconds later. It's crazy. I'm getting so much more boss practice now than I did bringing Rab up to 60. Soloing all the questline/story quest BAMs and two-manning vanarch bams.

Edit: Oh I dropped about 7500 PP in last night, turn off PvP again and give us more tears.

Harik fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Harik posted:

Edit: Oh I dropped about 7500 PP in last night, turn off PvP again and give us more tears.

PvP was indeed turned off, and I was present in Arcadia at the time. I tried to screenshot some of the ridiculous, hilarious bitching but none of them saved.

• Locked thread