Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
efb goddamn it gladstone

here my post anyways fucker

₮ĦųΠđĘЯ†ΉΈΊ₣ (@THNDRTHF) has shared a Tweet with you:

"Navjosh: Hip Hop N More: Video: Freddie Gibbs - 'Eastside Moonwalker' http://t.co/30g8WwxD0e"
--http://twitter.com/Navjosh/status/346810826361016320

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
What's this thread's opinion on Cage? I really really like his verse on this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpZ5OHt38b4 but I haven't really heard much of his own stuff. What's a good album of his to get into?

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Previous Jesus posted:

What's this thread's opinion on Cage? I really really like his verse on this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpZ5OHt38b4 but I haven't really heard much of his own stuff. What's a good album of his to get into?

Hell's Winter is one of my favorite albums, so I'd start there. Also leak bros I guess but that's more of an acquired taste.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Not the Killa Season 2 I was hoping for.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I said last week that I wasn't sure if there was a best rapper in the game right now. Who was I kidding? It's obviously Gangsta Gibbs.

DinoCzar
Jun 29, 2011

He just came up to me and was like: Byoop!
Eastside Moonwalker is amazing.

I'm just now getting really serious about exploring hip-hop and Gibbs is showing me promise in my search. However, any other recommendations of some artists that are really good right now? Like I said, I'm pretty new to this hip hop ordeal, but I've fell in love with ScHoolboy Q, A$AP Rocky, Odd Future, and Kendrick Lamar which I realize are pretty mainstream artists, but its a fine place to start. I'm sure there are better things if I dig deep, but I'm just wondering where I should start digging.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Afrika Bambaataa / Zulu Nation

good place to start.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
RiFF RAFF is the best rapper of the year so, he's a good place to start too.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

DinoCzar posted:

I'm just now getting really serious about exploring hip-hop and Gibbs is showing me promise in my search. However, any other recommendations of some artists that are really good right now? Like I said, I'm pretty new to this hip hop ordeal, but I've fell in love with ScHoolboy Q, A$AP Rocky, Odd Future, and Kendrick Lamar which I realize are pretty mainstream artists, but its a fine place to start. I'm sure there are better things if I dig deep, but I'm just wondering where I should start digging.

Danny Brown, action bronson, joey badass, Raider klan, Kevin gates, flatbush zombies, underachievers, chance the rapper, currensy. Try looking at the producers from your favourite songs and check out other poo poo they've done or just check out the features. A lot of older artists have released good albums recently too (ghostface, rugged man, prodigy)

E. Big Krit, Lil B. Blah there's way too many but I reckon that's a good list to get you started

asap-salafi fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 18, 2013

Gladstone
Dec 13, 2010

DinoCzar posted:

Get Jay Rock - Come Back Home

He's my favourite black hippy.

Bout it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmsP6U-UkpI
Hood Gon Love It - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOpjusxCSJY
Say Wassup - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2XmMQm5F_0

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Jay Rock is severely underrated. I think he had my favorite verse of last year on Money Trees.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
All they want is Gunplay! I listen to a lot of him and a lot of Lil' B (whose new mixtape drops today!).

http://www.datpiff.com/profile/LilBtheBasedGod

A Concrete Divider fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 18, 2013

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Obligatory "Gibbs totally owns" post.

Professor Funk posted:

Jay Rock is severely underrated. I think he had my favorite verse of last year on Money Trees.

Really? I listened to his only album and found it underwhelming, though code red is a sick beat. Are his mixtapes better?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Omerta posted:

Really? I listened to his only album and found it underwhelming, though code red is a sick beat. Are his mixtapes better?

Black Friday (2010 mixtape) is really good. He really kind of came into his own after Black Hippy formed in 09.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um5T1CLkx6Q

Gladstone
Dec 13, 2010

Omerta posted:

Jay Rock - Yola

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBylbdJI0oQ

Rock owns.

e: Freddie Gibbs - Rep To The Fullest (ft. Jay Rock): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWAWeMI_8s8

Gladstone fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 18, 2013

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

I like Rock a lot because he's so different stylistically from the other guys in Black Hippy. Unfortunately, that's kind of why he gets overlooked, because he's so different that people sometimes just forget he's associated with them.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Professor Funk posted:

I like Rock a lot because he's so different stylistically from the other guys in Black Hippy. Unfortunately, that's kind of why he gets overlooked, because he's so different that people sometimes just forget he's associated with them.

Yeah agreed. He also frequently kills it as a feature. One of my fave Jay verses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqaICbBS3ng

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Jay Rock definitely killed it on Money Trees. God, that is such a great song.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

thathonkey posted:

Jay Rock definitely killed it on Money Trees. God, that is such a great song.

The last bar of that verse is my favorite on the entire album

"In the streets with a heater under my dungarees / Dreams of me gettin shaded under a money tree"

So perfect

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Really? Kanye is going to sell more in the first week than the two of them combined do over a year. Kanye's expected to sell 500,000 this week.

That's really sad, considering he released an album 10 songs long.....and that J Cole's album is already better than his and I'm only on track 3.

(New Slaves is totally one of my favorite songs though)

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Yuzenn posted:

That's really sad, considering he released an album 10 songs long.....and that J Cole's album is already better than his and I'm only on track 3.

Born Sinner might be a better rap album, but in no way is it a more interesting release than Yeezus is.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Ye's album is definitely more interesting of an album, but this is no MBDTF...it's more like a very dark 808's and Heartbreaks.

Some tracks are overly auto-tuned, and he really dropped the ball on Strange Fruit, it feels like Otis in the fact that he could have taken a classic and really put his own stamp on it, even take it in a New Slaves direction. Unfortunately (and believe me, I still like Otis) it just feels off pace with the rest of the album and very strangely paced.

I Am a God is also pushing the limits of how much hubris I can take from a rapper. I grew up on the NY bravado drenched rap, and still no one went this far.

On the other hand, Cole's album is so much more relate-able to all different types of people. Power Trip, Crooked Smile and other songs all paint a picture for the vast majority of people on this planet who are just looking to find their way in life and he is acknowledging not only the struggle, but the fact that we are all not perfect. Plus he is rhyming with a passion I don't remember hearing since Reasonable Doubt.

This album is really Cole's masterpiece, and the only other album that's gonna top it to me is Jay-Z's Magna Carta. (I know Yeezus will sell more, but that doesn't tell the truth).

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 18, 2013

animal drums
Jul 8, 2010
Its sad that people are tricked into thinking that Kanye is the real hip hop artist changing the game right now, the mainstream will never know what they are missing with J. Cole and Jay Z, who are the real voice of the underground rap community.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

animal drums posted:

Its sad that people are tricked into thinking that Kanye is the real hip hop artist changing the game right now, the mainstream will never know what they are missing with J. Cole and Jay Z, who are the real voice of the underground rap community.

This is the best post.

Also, at the risk of starting a Kanye debate, I think you missed the point of "I Am A God" Yuzenn. Also, I imagine Kanye is getting the exact reaction he wanted to the use of the Strange Fruit sample. I do really like Born Sinner, though.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 18, 2013

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Professor Funk posted:

The last bar of that verse is my favorite on the entire album

"In the streets with a heater under my dungarees / Dreams of me gettin shaded under a money tree"

So perfect

I concur. Dreams of me getting shaded under a money tree. It's perfect.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

gently caress me, the new Gibbs stuff from the last few pages is amazing, Eastside Moonwalker :drat:
Dude is killing it, wouldn't expect anything less after #BFK.

Been listening to that new Kanye, pretty cool. Mad poo poo.

New Lil B today, tape is 34 tracks long :allears:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Deniro Farrar just released The Patriarch II for $1 :catstare:

http://denirofarrar.bandcamp.com/

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Professor Funk posted:

This is the best post.

Also, at the risk of starting a Kanye debate, I think you missed the point of "I Am A God" Yuzenn. Also, I imagine Kanye is getting the exact reaction he wanted to the use of the Strange Fruit sample. I do really like Born Sinner, though.

Oh I would love a good debate! My issues with the song mostly revolve around the chorus:

"I am a god
Hurry up with my drat massage
Hurry up with my drat ménage
Get the Porsche out the drat garage
I am a god
Even though I'm a man of God
My whole life in the hands of God
So y'all better quit playing with God"

He's played with the duality of being a very "god" like figure in music, while being a man of god before....but Jesus Walks was done SO much better than this. Sometimes Ye loses self control and hubris takes over and his mouth gets away from him. This track has that feeling.

And with the Blood on the Leaves song, the Bridge goes in a direction that I just don't understand and the lyrics just don't highlight the subject matter and visual emotion that Strange Fruit intentionally put across way back in 1939. It strikes me as an Amber Rose dig, and after 808's and Heartbreaks, I think we got the point. Instead of moving towards the New Slaves and Black Skinhead themes that this album quickly and masterfully created that strive to keep racial and socioeconomic struggles in the forefronts of our minds, he takes a sharp diversion in both two back into angry place about his own success and lavish lifestyle. It becomes quickly unrelate-able and falls into the usual and easy hip hop trap about money cars and girls that is poisoning the genre. All of those things are intertwined in rap but they are over-done and cheap.

Again, I really do like these songs but I have the feeling these could have done SO much more and been so much better....

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Yuzenn posted:

Oh I would love a good debate! My issues with the song mostly revolve around the chorus:

"I am a god
I am a god

He's played with the duality of being a very "god" like figure in music, while being a man of god before....but Jesus Walks was done SO much better than this. Sometimes Ye loses self control and hubris takes over and his mouth gets away from him. This track has that feeling.

I think the point of the track is that it's a crazy, paranoid pep talk to himself. Hence the incoherent screaming at the end.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
As far as Magna Carta Holy Grail goes, I'm curious to see how it's received. If this deal with Samsung is deemed a success by both parties, then this could change the way albums are distributed in the future.

Jay's deal with Samsung was a $20 million Roc Nation deal, and it cost then $5 million to buy a million copies of his album, so presumably theyre going to do something similar in the future with either Jay or another Roc Nation artist?

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Is there a reason as to why Jay Rock did not release an album last year like the rest of BH? Dude missed out on some serious publicity.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Yuzenn posted:

Again, I really do like these songs but I have the feeling these could have done SO much more and been so much better....

I feel the same way except Blood is my favorite track, though you have a good point about it being a weird departure from the earlier themes of the album. But does it necessarily cheapen the experience? When another song has "eatin asian pussy / need sweet and sour sauce" as a line, I am inclined to say no. That line sounds like some poo poo that would wind up on Action Bronson's cutting room floor as not clever nor funny enough.

But a lot of people are eating it up in the Kanye thread so :shrug: who am I to judge?

Gladstone
Dec 13, 2010
Freddie Gibbs' ESGN artwork and tracklist
http://howflyhiphop.com/2013/06/18/freddie-gibbs-esgn-artwork-tracklist/

Jay Rock Feature

:getin:

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Yuzenn posted:

"I am a god
I am a god

He's played with the duality of being a very "god" like figure in music, while being a man of god before....but Jesus Walks was done SO much better than this. It's not even close at this point

Don't just listen to the lyrics, listen to the music. It is not a triumphant song. It's not an arrogant song. If anything, it's a song about Kanye's insecurity and self-doubt. He's saying "I am a God" as though he is trying to convince himself and others of his greatness. He's not saying "I am a God," there's a difference. The folks at Grantland compared the song to Kanye waking up in the morning, looking at himself in a mirror, and saying those words over and over again, which I think is perfect. Musically, the song isn't really the picture of self-confidence or bravado either, with Kanye's insane screams perforating the instrumental and the dark, droning synth tracks.

quote:

And with the Blood on the Leaves song, the Bridge goes in a direction that I just don't understand and the lyrics just don't highlight the subject matter and visual emotion that Strange Fruit intentionally put across way back in 1939. It strikes me as an Amber Rose dig, and after 808's and Heartbreaks, I think we got the point.

Yes, the sample is about lynchings in the Jim Crow South, and the song is about a bad breakup. It's a startling gap between source content and subject matter, which is probably the point. Kanye uses heightened -- mostly racial -- imagery throughout the album to describe relatively inconsequential things. In "New Slaves," he talks about fashion honchos not respecting him unless he "picks the cotton himself." In "I'm In It" he fists a girl "like a Civil Rights Sign" and compares a girl taking her bra off to a famous portion of "I Have a Dream." In "Black Skinhead," he gets his "by any means on" and compares white people coming to see him in concert to visitors going to ogle King Kong locked in his cage. Later on in "Blood on the Leaves" he compares keeping his wife and mistress separated at a basketball game to Apartheid. It goes on and on.

The point is that there's really nothing to this album except Kanye. Even when he seems to be spreading these subversive messages about "new racism" and what not, it's really all about him. Had Kanye used the Strange Fruit sample and made Blood on the Leaves a track about racism, sexism, or other social ills, it would have been completely out of place on the album. Is it a startling, potentially offense, move? Yeah, absolutely. Does Kanye give a gently caress? Nope, it's his album, and this one more than any of his other ones is about Kanye.

(I suggest we move this to the Kanye thread since I don't want to dominate this one with posts like this)

Edit: That Gibbs tracklist looks awesome.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 18, 2013

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Parachute Underwear posted:

Deniro Farrar just released The Patriarch II for $1 :catstare:

http://denirofarrar.bandcamp.com/

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK YES

Had no idea this was coming. The Patriarch is top 5 of the year so far for me.

Thanks for the heads up.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Gladstone posted:

Freddie Gibbs' ESGN artwork and tracklist
http://howflyhiphop.com/2013/06/18/freddie-gibbs-esgn-artwork-tracklist/

Jay Rock Feature

:getin:

20 tracks yessssss

Eastside Moonwalker loving owns and Gibbs in that video can be unironically compared to Pac I think.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wale's album is streaming on iTunes. First track isn't completely horrible.

Trevor Weedheart
Jan 9, 2009

naruto headband rockin ice niggas

doctor thodt posted:

Wale's album is streaming on iTunes.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeeaaahhh, I gave up on track 3. Don't know why I even bothered when there's new Deniro to check out.

• Locked thread