Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Quick!
I've got a few bucks to spare and I want to upgrade my fairly lovely cartridge and stylus!
I listen to mostly rock/post-rock/metal (there IS some lighter stuff from time to time) on a SL1200Mk3.
I use headphones approximately 90% of the time.

What say you all?

Edit: I'm kind of leaning towards the Shure M97xE off Amazon for $78 and free shipping.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
The M97xE is a nice cart, though a lot of reviews says that the AT-120E is a much better upgrade in that price range. It's only $35 more if you can spare it.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I personally never liked the m97 on my SL-1200 through headphones. You can hear everything. Every pop and crackle sounds like it's front and centre. Sounds great on speakers. Maybe my cans aren't a good match for my amp or something.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Ron Burgundy posted:

I personally never liked the m97 on my SL-1200 through headphones. You can hear everything. Every pop and crackle sounds like it's front and centre. Sounds great on speakers. Maybe my cans aren't a good match for my amp or something.

I found the opposite, but I was upgrading from a cheaper Audio Technica cartridge.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Hi I did something stupid

I saw a Braun PS550 on ebay for 17$ and bid sniped it at 50$. The only thing wrong was one of the hinge pieces was missing, something I can make myself. It was described as 100% working order but I haven't tested it because I need either a 5 pin DIN to RCA/ground or just solder in a connector.

Unfortunately the seller sells bicycles on ebay and shipped it without much thought. Luckily they removed the platter and stuff and mostly secured it but pieces broke off the lid and now I have a lid that will probably never work. I have no idea if I can find PS550 lids for anywhere near cheap especially in america :(

On the upside this is loving beautiful :D Sorry for cell phone quality.

Cover off

Bork cover :(

Anyways I need a replacement stylus, its a shure m95g, I was thinking a pfanstiehl, I dunno who else sells m95 replacements? Does anyone know 5 pin DIN pinout for phono if I want to solder in RCA?

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 22, 2013

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Audio DINs are usually pretty standardised.

I would make an educated guess at

1 L+
4 L-
2 G
5 R-
3 R+

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Excellent thanks. Posting on Radio Museum/Audio Karma/Vinyl Engine for lid replacements.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

BANME.sh posted:

The M97xE is a nice cart, though a lot of reviews says that the AT-120E is a much better upgrade in that price range. It's only $35 more if you can spare it.
Thanks, this looks like a good option!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

iostream.h posted:

Thanks, this looks like a good option!

Unless you really want to spend more money, I'd actually suggest a cheaper option, the AT-95E (the E stands for elliptical), which is a really good match for the arm. The cheapest I've seen it go is under 30€ and you can upgrade to a Special Elliptical/Vital Line/Shibata stylus later if you feel the need to.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
Does anyone else have any love for 80s boomboxes--or "ghetto blasters," in the more colorful nomenclature? I was digging around in the garage for something unrelated and found my old Sony. It's pretty big and pretty cool I guess, but what I'd really like to have is one of these:

Behold, the rather unfortunately named Marantz PMS 6000. Do you think it is awesome? I think it is awesome. I'd love to rock that motherfucker on a beach or something (although the sand might be a bit worrisome). Also, check out these bad motherfuckers:

I'd use that one for a nighttime beach party.

Holy hot dicks, that fucker is huge!

Several Goons posted:

Cartridge/stylus recommendations

Thanks for these recommendations. I've always used the Mx97e for the SL1200. Maybe I'll try something else next time.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

izationalizer posted:

I found a really cheap and lovely knockoff of this design in my grandmother's basement. It had the flashing lights, but it was just a simple tape deck boombox with none of the fancy bells and whistles this one looks to have. Sound quality was awful too.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

izationalizer posted:

Does anyone else have any love for 80s boomboxes--or "ghetto blasters," in the more colorful nomenclature? I was digging around in the garage for something unrelated and found my old Sony. It's pretty big and pretty cool I guess, but what I'd really like to have is one of these:

Behold, the rather unfortunately named Marantz PMS 6000. Do you think it is awesome? I think it is awesome. I'd love to rock that motherfucker on a beach or something (although the sand might be a bit worrisome). Also, check out these bad motherfuckers:

Holy hot dicks, that fucker is huge!

My Buddy had a Yorx that must have weighed 50 Pounds. It has a double cassette deck, a freaking B&W TV and a 3rd cassette deck you could detach from it and use standalone as a walkman. I've seen others with the 2+1 Cassette deck, but never one again with the TV in it as well.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Just got a gigantic upgrade package of turntable goodness.

Got myself a Rega RP6 demo/open box in perfect new condition for 25% off the usual price. The RP6 comes with the Rega TT external PSU standard. It actually won't even work without it -- the turntable lacks a built in power supply, which is awesome. It came fitted with a Rega Exact II cartridge as well.

To go with this absolutely gorgeous and fantastic turntable I ordered a set of kits from bottlehead.com. I got the Reduction phono pre and the S.E.x 2.1 headphone/loudspeaker amp with the c4s upgrade board. After it arrives, and a few fun nights of soldering and building, I will have a new tube amplification system to go with my RP6.

My vinyl is going to sound better than ever. This is a crazy upgrade from my current poo poo. Here's some stock pictures of the gear:

Rega RP6. 24v with RB303 Tonearm and Exact II Cartridge.

Rega TT External PSU (Also switches rotation between 33/45. No need to move the belt manually.)

Bottlehead Reduction

Bottlehead S.E.X 2.1

Speakers are next on the upgrade list, but that is way far off. I've spent too much money on this poo poo plus other unrelated gear and expenses recently. My speaker setup, while pretty budget, actually sounds drat good. I'm rocking some semi-custom built monitors. Dayton Audio 6 1/2" woofers / 1 1/8" tweeters. I got the kit from Parts Express. It's a pretty drat good set of monitors/bookshelf speakers. To my ears they sound great for the price. Each one is sitting on top of a Dayton Audio SUB-1000 for some low end.

Damo fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 16, 2013

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
Nice! I was just thinking this thread needed some more vacuum tube goodness after seeing that pair of MC30s.

I love my Rega P5 and Exact cartridge. Also got it as a demo unit a few years ago just before they were phased out for the new models.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Damo posted:

Just got a gigantic upgrade package of turntable goodness.

Got myself a Rega RP6 demo/open box in perfect new condition for 25% off the usual price. The RP6 comes with the Rega TT external PSU standard. It actually won't even work without it -- the turntable lacks a built in power supply, which is awesome. It came fitted with a Rega Exact II cartridge as well.

To go with this absolutely gorgeous and fantastic turntable I ordered a set of kits from bottlehead.com. I got the Reduction phono pre and the S.E.x 2.1 headphone/loudspeaker amp with the c4s upgrade board. After it arrives, and a few fun nights of soldering and building, I will have a new tube amplification system to go with my RP6.

My vinyl is going to sound better than ever. This is a crazy upgrade from my current poo poo. Here's some stock pictures of the gear:

Rega RP6. 24v with RB303 Tonearm and Exact II Cartridge.

Rega TT External PSU (Also switches rotation between 33/45. No need to move the belt manually.)

Bottlehead Reduction

Bottlehead S.E.X 2.1

Speakers are next on the upgrade list, but that is way far off. I've spent too much money on this poo poo plus other unrelated gear and expenses recently. My speaker setup, while pretty budget, actually sounds drat good. I'm rocking some semi-custom built monitors. Dayton Audio 6 1/2" woofers / 1 1/8" tweeters. I got the kit from Parts Express. It's a pretty drat good set of monitors/bookshelf speakers. To my ears they sound great for the price. Each one is sitting on top of a Dayton Audio SUB-1000 for some low end.

Congrats. That Bottlehead stuff you got there is some amazing stuff. When the time comes for speakers, I'd recommend http://blumensteinaudio.com/. My friend Clark makes them by hand out of really dense bamboo ply and uses all Bottlehead to demo his speakers. They pair really nicely. I listen to them through my Nelson Pass F5 solid state amp and they shine there, too.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
http://houston.craigslist.org/ele/3851584038.html

How would a Pioneer PL-5 with no dust cover for $40 be for baby's first turntable? Will it be very difficult / expensive to get a dust cover, should I wait for another deal? This is a really good deal compared to what's usually on CL around here. For $40 if it demos well it can't be too bad, I'm getting it unless someone chimes in here.

Edit: Assuming I do get it, my amplifier is modern and cheap and doesn't have a phono input. What's my best bet as far as a cheap phono preamp?

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 17, 2013

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
That's certainly pretty good for the price. The folks at audiokarma seem to think so too.

Dust covers are a pain in the rear end to track down, and you'll probably pay more than $40 for a replacement. You pretty much have to scour classifieds until you find another PL-5 for parts.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Weinertron posted:

How would a Pioneer PL-5 with no dust cover for $40 be for baby's first turntable? Will it be very difficult / expensive to get a dust cover, should I wait for another deal? This is a really good deal compared to what's usually on CL around here. For $40 if it demos well it can't be too bad, I'm getting it unless someone chimes in here.

Edit: Assuming I do get it, my amplifier is modern and cheap and doesn't have a phono input. What's my best bet as far as a cheap phono preamp?

The Behringer PP400 or Pyle PP444 will do the job at around $20. The TCC TC-400 and TC-700 would be nicer but for a little more money. All of these are available on Amazon.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Weinertron posted:

It's pretty similar to the PL-4 my parents had when I was a teen, the graphite tonearm looks like it's the same unit.
For $40, just on it before it's gone.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Retarded Pimp posted:

It's pretty similar to the PL-4 my parents had when I was a teen, the graphite tonearm looks like it's the same unit.
For $40, just on it before it's gone.

Thanks to everyone who replied, I got the thing. The seller told me that the cartridge on it is a good Audio-Technica with the stylus on the way out, so he threw in another cartridge, one that he warned me was a cheaper AT cartridge. He demo'ed it and showed me how to work the anti-skate, adjust the tracking pressure, and work the automatic arm and automatic return. I'm a newbie, so I really appreciated it even though I didn't ask. Now I just need to decide if I want to get a tiny phono pre-amp for now or get a receiver which has a Phono input, which I'm planning to do at some point in the next year anyway.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Weinertron posted:

Now I just need to decide if I want to get a tiny phono pre-amp for now or get a receiver which has a Phono input, which I'm planning to do at some point in the next year anyway.

If you're thinking of buying a vintage receiver, that's fine, but do you really want to wait a year before you use your new turntable?
If you want a modern surround receiver, you'll have to pay for a top-of-the-line model if you want phono inputs. I'd just go with a separate preamp. You could always sell it later, and they're not expensive.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
I know very little about turntables, so this seemed like the place to ask.

My girlfriend has a vintage belt-driven turntable that attaches to a pre-amp that feeds into my modern stereo receiver. She bought it about 2-3 years ago from a shop who specifically repairs old equipment so I assume it's been set up properly. When I have been playing records on it recently I am getting mono output from the right channel, despite the turntable itself having the left-right (red-white) RCA cables. I'm assuming the records I am using are stereo since they are all very recently produced.

Is the mono output due to a mono cartridge or is there something else? Is there a way to check if the vinyl itself is mono/stereo? If it is a mono cartridge is there any problem using it with a stereo vinyl?

There is also a small knob on the arm (not the counterweight) that can be twisted from 0-3 in both directions. I have no idea what this is supposed to adjust.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Unplug the left and then right cables- are you getting mono over both or mono over right, or what? It could be an issue with the cabling from turntable to preamp, the preamp, or the cabling from the preamp to the receiver. What's your receiver and what's the preamp?

If your antiskate is set too far on either side you'll probably get wonky sound in either channel, antiskate keeps the cart traveling in the center of the record groove. Turning it to either 0 or 3 will have it riding on one side of the groove, either left or right.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Weinertron posted:

Now I just need to decide if I want to get a tiny phono pre-amp for now or get a receiver which has a Phono input, which I'm planning to do at some point in the next year anyway.

If you're planning to hold off until you find your 'dream receiver,' a good alternative to the temporary pre-amp is to just dig around for a cheap '80s-'90s receiver on craigslist/in the attics of family members or friends. Almost every receiver produced until 1998 (very rough generalization) is going to come with a 'Phono' input- if it does, you're in business.

If you can get over the dated "90s appliance" aesthetics, it's not particularly difficult to score a half-decent receiver (one that will at least let you hear your turntable through your speakers) for very little/no money. Your parents probably have one in their garage.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

BitterAvatar posted:

I know very little about turntables, so this seemed like the place to ask.

My girlfriend has a vintage belt-driven turntable that attaches to a pre-amp that feeds into my modern stereo receiver. She bought it about 2-3 years ago from a shop who specifically repairs old equipment so I assume it's been set up properly. When I have been playing records on it recently I am getting mono output from the right channel, despite the turntable itself having the left-right (red-white) RCA cables. I'm assuming the records I am using are stereo since they are all very recently produced.

Is the mono output due to a mono cartridge or is there something else? Is there a way to check if the vinyl itself is mono/stereo? If it is a mono cartridge is there any problem using it with a stereo vinyl?

There is also a small knob on the arm (not the counterweight) that can be twisted from 0-3 in both directions. I have no idea what this is supposed to adjust.
Playing a mono record or playing with a mono cartridge (if such a thing even exists) should still give you equal output on the two channels.

What you're most likely dealing with is a contact that's oxidized or something. Easiest to check and most likely culprit will be the contacts beween the cartridge and the arm. Post a picture if you're not sure how to remove it.

The small knob is probably the anti-skating. I don't understand it very well either; not enough to start explaining it anyway, but at least that's a term you can google.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

The small knob is probably the anti-skating. I don't understand it very well either; not enough to start explaining it anyway, but at least that's a term you can google.

When a record plays, the needle wants to pull towards the center of the record (centripetal force?). This obviously causes distortion and could possibly cause the needle to skip or "skate" across the surface. Anti-skate is usually just a spring mechanism (in most cases) that counterbalances that pulling force. :science:

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Not an Anthem posted:

Unplug the left and then right cables- are you getting mono over both or mono over right, or what? It could be an issue with the cabling from turntable to preamp, the preamp, or the cabling from the preamp to the receiver. What's your receiver and what's the preamp?

If your antiskate is set too far on either side you'll probably get wonky sound in either channel, antiskate keeps the cart traveling in the center of the record groove. Turning it to either 0 or 3 will have it riding on one side of the groove, either left or right.

I appear to be getting the full sound in just the right channel. I tried unplugging the right cable that goes from the pre-amp to the receiver and there was no sound at all. I believe the anti-skate is currently set less than 1 so I don't think it's on either extreme and the sound that I did get from the right channel sounded very nice to me.

Flipperwaldt posted:

What you're most likely dealing with is a contact that's oxidized or something. Easiest to check and most likely culprit will be the contacts beween the cartridge and the arm. Post a picture if you're not sure how to remove it.

Could a contact have oxidized quickly? Since we purchased it not that long ago and I assume that's something the shop would check for when they maintain it for re-sale it seems odd it could happen so soon.

I'm not sure if there's any good way to test the cabling since there isn't any obvious distortion in the sound, just a lack of left channel.

Edit: My reciever is a Pioneer VSX-1022k. I'm not home right now so I can't confirm what the turntable and pre-amp models are.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
So I'm trying to put together a little system for my living room, and I really love the idea of getting a receiver with an 8-track built in to it. I found this Lloyds R745 that I really love the look of, but I have no idea about the quality of it. Has anyone handled one of these before?

I'm sure, having never heard of Lloyds, this is likely not a particular good sounding unit, but any suggestions of receivers w/ 8 tracks that have a similar look would be much appreciated!

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 19, 2013

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Lloyds is all over the place. They were typically sold in department stores (think the Wal-Marts or Best Buys of the past), not really hi-fi stores. They outsourced the manufacturing to various other companies throughout the years, so it's hard to determine if the piece you have is quality or not. It looks pretty beefy with plenty of knobs, so yours could be one of the higher end ones. But who knows :)

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
If you already have something but want a good 8track, check out the Pioneer H-R100 or the H-100. I've played with both, the R100 has Dolby noise reduction and really cleaned up some crusty 8tracks I had laying around. H-100 sounded good, but the R100 is worth it.

Also this thread is funny, dead for like weeks, then bunch of action at once.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Not an Anthem posted:

Did some testing and looks like the pre-amp is broken in the left channel. Plugging the turntable directly to my receiver gets both channels, just obviously no power behind it. Time for a new pre-amp!

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

BANME.sh posted:

Lloyds is all over the place. They were typically sold in department stores (think the Wal-Marts or Best Buys of the past), not really hi-fi stores. They outsourced the manufacturing to various other companies throughout the years, so it's hard to determine if the piece you have is quality or not. It looks pretty beefy with plenty of knobs, so yours could be one of the higher end ones. But who knows :)

It ended up only costing $40, so I just went ahead and bought it. Worst case scenario, I hate it and sell it for at least that and just pony up for a Marantz 2250B or something.

quote:

If you already have something but want a good 8track, check out the Pioneer H-R100 or the H-100. I've played with both, the R100 has Dolby noise reduction and really cleaned up some crusty 8tracks I had laying around. H-100 sounded good, but the R100 is worth it.

I don't know why I hadn't thought of this, that's a great idea too.

Thanks guys!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Picked up a Linn Sondek LP-12 (mid 80s black ittok tonearm 58k serial #), and a Lounge Audio phono pre.

Heaven.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Holy poo poo, that model even has its own wiki entry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linn_Sondek_LP12

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
They still make them today, but they've upped the price to around 3 grand new, and have a fancier motor, power supply, and plinth. Although, I do like the plinth that came with mine more. It sounds fantastic, and I couldn't imagine what something "even better" would sound like. I'm content and really enjoying it.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 4, 2013

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

RaoulDuke12 posted:

It ended up only costing $40, so I just went ahead and bought it. Worst case scenario, I hate it and sell it for at least that and just pony up for a Marantz 2250B or something.

The barbershop I go to has a similar console, they gutted theirs and installed a good turntable, amp and speakers. It goes pretty well with their old time-y shtick.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I picked up a Sony TA-F40 amp today but it appears to be dead. The only sign of life it shows it that things I plug in to the pass-through outlet on the back will still work (both switched and non-switched). Is there any way of identifying what's wrong with this and fixing it? I see a lot of people talk about capacitor replacement but I wouldn't know where to start with that. Is it usually the power supplies?

I would just toss it but I have the matching FM tuner with it and I really like how the pair looks. Plus I don't have any other amp at the moment.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Doomy posted:

The barbershop I go to has a similar console, they gutted theirs and installed a good turntable, amp and speakers. It goes pretty well with their old time-y shtick.

I finally got it a few days ago, it works and looks really nice, but it sounds pretty lovely unfortunately. I might keep it around just to utilize the 8 track setup and visuals, but you get what you pay for I guess.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Estate sale of a lady that owned a massive antique store up the road from us and found this for $50.

It works, radio plays but needs a needle for the record player.
It cleaned up well, right now its being used as a TV/AV stand and is tall enough to keep everything out of reach of our 8 month old daughter's inquisitive hands.

Really other than plugging it in to see if it worked and cleaning it up I have not done anything to it or even researched about it. I can tell you it weighs a ton...

Long term plans are to repair or replace the record player. Super long term plans are to mount a receiver inside of it, mount a HTPC in it, upgrade the speakers and add a TV mount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
You should paint it and replace the hardware as well. It can end up looking pretty nice: