Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Alright, little help. It's Canadian, probably released in the early to mid 90s. The plot deals with a free-spirited and rather angry young redheaded woman who stops (driving a red car) in a remote Canadian town where the landscape is BARREN and all the houses are painted SUPER bright. There's a French Canadian guy there who says, at one point "DON'T. . . touch the paint." Later she accidentally leaves a dress in his apartment and when he calls after her she says "It wasn't mine anyway!" Eventually, she falls for him, and when they first sleep together she says "Speak your French to me. Do it now." There's a young Asian girl in the plot too, all I remember about her is that she kneels down in a field of tall reeds that reminds her of bamboo. Eventually the redhead makes as if to leave the town, only to decide to stay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
This is kind of hosed up, but bear with me.

I remember watching a movie when I was little, I think it was either spanish or italian, it took place in what was probably the early 1900s. The hosed up thing is, that the only part I remember is a scene where a young girl is milking a cow and her grandfather(?) comes out and wants her to milk him too and she proceeds to do so... yeah... I watched this with my parents too.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

That's the title.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Polka_Rapper posted:

That's the title.

Cheers.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Trump posted:

a scene where a young girl is milking a cow and her grandfather(?) comes out and wants her to milk him too and she proceeds to do so

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm looking for a movie I'm not even sure exists. I've noticed a cliche in a lot of japanese horror media where there are plans for a dam to be built that would flood a rural village and force everyone to move. This causes bad things to happen. I've always wondered if there was one movie or something that inspired the cliche or if it was just something that built up over time.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Not Japanese, but the Three Gorges Dam project in China has caused a ton of problems. Japanese filmmakers may be drawing inspiration from that. The project figures heavily in Jia Zhang-Ke's terrific film Still Life.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

FitFortDanga posted:

Not Japanese, but the Three Gorges Dam project in China has caused a ton of problems. Japanese filmmakers may be drawing inspiration from that. The project figures heavily in Jia Zhang-Ke's terrific film Still Life.

That isn't it, because some of the stuff was made before that. Also, another thing that links them together is that they are set in the 80s and a god or demon is usually involved. I'm guessing there isn't one movie that inspired that cliche, and it was just something that slowly happened over time. Its just odd that there is a lot of Japanese media that share these common elements.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Demond Pond? The Shinoda version, which i think was based on a novel and a kabuki play, so maybe perhaps more those.

El Graplurado fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 18, 2013

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I remember watching a movie as a kid (so... mid to late 80s), where a swashbuckling hero had to save the girl from the clutches of a pirate. She was kept as a prisoner on the pirate ship, while the hero and villain fought on the beach with swords. It was most definitely in color.

Any idea?

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

Red posted:

I remember watching a movie as a kid (so... mid to late 80s), where a swashbuckling hero had to save the girl from the clutches of a pirate. She was kept as a prisoner on the pirate ship, while the hero and villain fought on the beach with swords. It was most definitely in color.

Any idea?

You have maybe partly forgotten The Princess Bride!

Inconceivable!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Chewy Bitems posted:

You have maybe partly forgotten The Princess Bride!

Inconceivable!

If this is the case that's loving awesome but Wesley was the pirate and while there was a kidnapped woman and some beaches, well poo poo Wes fought Inigo on sand, except that the sand was on top of a cliff.

Bet you're right actually.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

syscall girl posted:

If this is the case that's loving awesome but Wesley was the pirate and while there was a kidnapped woman and some beaches, well poo poo Wes fought Inigo on sand, except that the sand was on top of a cliff.
Yeah, but I took a leap based on the logic of maybe parts are remembered a bit jumbled up. and also because I want to bring up The Princess Bride all the time.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Red posted:

Any idea?
Is it this horrible thing?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

It most definitely is *not* The Princess Bride.

I can't imagine it was a comedy like The Pirate Movie, but maybe I'll check that out. Does it have a beach sword fight?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
That whole movie is on youtube.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Schweinhund posted:

That whole movie is on youtube.

Wow, yeah, no. That's not it at all.

(Who thought that was a good idea? :stare:)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Chewy Bitems posted:

I want to bring up The Princess Bride all the time.

I feel the same way.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Red posted:

I told you it was horrible :colbert:

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Red posted:

Any idea?

Maybe the Peter Pan remake Hook?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Red posted:

"Let's update the Pirates of Penzance with modern stars that'll appeal to the kids, especially since the play had just had a very well received revival a couple years ago."

There are worse ideas.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

regulargonzalez posted:

Couple lines of dialogue that are stuck in my head. 80s or 90s movie, probably action, scene is where main character (white guy) is getting ignored or bad customer service from minor character (black guy)

Main char: You're very good at your job (dryly sarcastic)
Minor char: I know this.

I swear I just saw this recently.... "Sorry, I don't mean to get angry at you- you're very good at your job."

Coming To America is the only movie I can think of watching recently with a fast food counter though, and the cast is all black so maybe?

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

Chewy Bitems posted:

Sounds like either your Dad imagined the most American film ever made or he saw this:

In Pursuit of Honor - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Pursuit_of_Honor

I sure that's exactly what he's talking about. As soon as he said killing war horses I imediately thought of this movie. It's brilliant, but very sad.

He JackRabbitStorm, Everybody is steering you to Gladiator, but that seems a little too obvious to me and it's a very memorable movie, what with all the Oscars™. But I just saw something a few days ago that may also fit the bill. only not Gerard Butler or Russell Crowe, but Michael Fassbender. It's called Centurion and it starts off with the big fight scene in the woods and giant rolling pots of burning pitch. After the battle, there's only a half dozen guys left alive and they break out and try to make it back across enemy lines. I don't know about if his family is dead or not.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Pweller posted:

I swear I just saw this recently.... "Sorry, I don't mean to get angry at you- you're very good at your job."

Coming To America is the only movie I can think of watching recently with a fast food counter though, and the cast is all black so maybe?

You might be right, or it might be the guy who said Falling Down. Or it might be something else entirely :(

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I saw a short film when I was very young, early elementary school. I saw it in school twice, in fact, in two separate grades. It's set in a world where it rains nonstop. A young girl somehow figures out that the rain is going to stop for a short time, but she's a weird-rear end that no one likes, so they don't listen to her. They lock her in a closet one day at school just to gently caress with her, and while she's locked in the closet, the rain stops and it's suddenly a gorgeous, sunny day. The kids all go out and play and bask in the sun, until the rain starts again and they all have to run back inside, where they suddenly remember the poor girl in the closet. They all look really sorry for being such dicks to her, and I think one of them hands her a flower.

Any ideas? This is about thirty years ago.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

DangerDummy! posted:

I saw a short film when I was very young, early elementary school. I saw it in school twice, in fact, in two separate grades. It's set in a world where it rains nonstop. A young girl somehow figures out that the rain is going to stop for a short time, but she's a weird-rear end that no one likes, so they don't listen to her. They lock her in a closet one day at school just to gently caress with her, and while she's locked in the closet, the rain stops and it's suddenly a gorgeous, sunny day. The kids all go out and play and bask in the sun, until the rain starts again and they all have to run back inside, where they suddenly remember the poor girl in the closet. They all look really sorry for being such dicks to her, and I think one of them hands her a flower.

Any ideas? This is about thirty years ago.

It sounds like an adaptation of the Ray Bradbury story "All Summer in a Day". There was a version made for PBS in 1982. That's probably it.

edit: it's on Youtube

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

That's totally Ray Bradbury's short story All Summer in a Day. Wikipedia says PBS adapted it for an episode of WonderWorks in 1982.

E: :ughh:

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

regulargonzalez posted:

Couple lines of dialogue that are stuck in my head. 80s or 90s movie, probably action, scene is where main character (white guy) is getting ignored or bad customer service from minor character (black guy)

Main char: You're very good at your job (dryly sarcastic)
Minor char: I know this.

The weird way "this" is used reminds me of Cosmopolis but that's from just last year, not action, and probably the least sarcastic film ever made.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

quote:

All Summer in a Day

Awesome! Thanks, folks.

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
Oh Gosh, I'm so glad this thread exists.
It's a kung fu action comedy movie.
Here's what i remember:
-A scene where some guy goes 'i'm going to teach you a lesson' and teaches the recipient the HOMES method for remembering the great lakes
-There's a (french?) bad guy at the end who insists on taking off his pants

I think someone gets kidnapped. God, if anyone remembers this but me I'll be so happy.

Heisanevilgenius
Sep 2, 2007

Krakox posted:

Here's what i remember:
-A scene where some guy goes 'i'm going to teach you a lesson' and teaches the recipient the HOMES method for remembering the great lakes

I think someone gets kidnapped. God, if anyone remembers this but me I'll be so happy.

Is the movie Chinese? It sounds Chinese.

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012

Heisanevilgenius posted:

Is the movie Chinese? It sounds Chinese.

I think there were Asians in it, I'm unsure if it was chinese. I mean, it had the Homes lake thing, so i'm assuming it's an american film.
I also think it was made in the 80's. searching "80's kung fu comedy movies" only really get me Big Trouble and The Last Dragon.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Krakox posted:

Here's what i remember:

Sounds like Kung Phooey!

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012

You're fantastic! Thank you.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I saw this movie in Mexico and in Spanish so I don't remember/know the title. It's a home invasion movie with a family with at least one teenage girl. There's some high tech involved (sketchy on this). At least two teenage boys are the invaders. One of them is or goes crazy and is set on fire. There's a stakeout with the police.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

pospysyl posted:

I saw this movie in Mexico and in Spanish so I don't remember/know the title. It's a home invasion movie with a family with at least one teenage girl. There's some high tech involved (sketchy on this). At least two teenage boys are the invaders. One of them is or goes crazy and is set on fire. There's a stakeout with the police.

Sounds like it could be Hostage.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0340163/

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

pospysyl posted:

Could be Trespass?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
All I remember about this film is that there were a bunch of different criminals all trying to pull off a robbery in the same high-rise building. It was like some sort of competitive event, the crook who actually got the MacGuffin would be selected for something and there's much killing each other off. It wasn't a comedy.

Edit: Might be Mean Guns. I'll take a look, thanks.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 26, 2013

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Phanatic posted:

All I remember about this film is that there were a bunch of different criminals all trying to pull off a robbery in the same high-rise building. It was like some sort of competitive event, the crook who actually got the MacGuffin would be selected for something and there's much killing each other off. It wasn't a comedy.

Mean Guns?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119642/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Phanatic posted:

Smokin' Aces?