Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cousarr
Apr 29, 2008

Only a king can make this face.
Sub JOs work really long hours and get poo poo on all the time. Make sure it's what you really want to do and you're okay with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Cousarr posted:

Sub JOs work really long hours and get poo poo on all the time. Make sure it's what you really want to do and you're okay with this.

By long hours, he doesn't mean civilian long hours like 50-60 hours a week. He means military long hours, which is upwards of 100-120 hours a week. That is a massive chunk of your life. You must be prepared to do nothing but work and sleep until you're qualified, at best, and then things might chill out to only 90 hours a week.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Cousarr posted:

This is the truth. I've seen carrier enlisted go submarine officer and not be able to hack it because of all the extra work required (submarine enlisted to submarine officer typically have higher success rate, at least in my sample size). The person who is going to see the upper end of that hours scale is usually the CRA (chemistry/radcon officer).

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

SpaceJustice posted:

This is the truth. I've seen carrier enlisted go submarine officer and not be able to hack it because of all the extra work required (submarine enlisted to submarine officer typically have higher success rate, at least in my sample size). The person who is going to see the upper end of that hours scale is usually the CRA (chemistry/radcon officer).

MPA and QAO(sometimes the same person) definitely worked the most on mine

CRA was bitch stuff imo

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
Nuc babies come up with awesome tattoo ideas:

Sadly this work of art got denied.

1337_ScriptKiddie fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 7, 2013

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Of course it did. The pants should have a flap, not a fly. :colbert:

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

mokhtar belmokhtar posted:

MPA and QAO(sometimes the same person) definitely worked the most on mine

CRA was bitch stuff imo

A lot depends on your ELTs. If they are marginal to bad, CRA is the worst job on the boat.

RL div doesn't have the numbers to cover for even one slacker...

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

Nuc babies come up with awesome tattoo ideas:

Sadly this work of art got denied.

Ask forgiveness, not permission.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Harmburger posted:

Ask forgiveness, not permission.

But then you get yelled at. :(

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
I'm at prototype in NY and want to get the standard minor surgery fix for ingrown toe nails. I usually clip them well but I messed it up last time and now one is swollen and infected so tomorrow I will call and make an appointment. I don't know how to interface with medical but ideally I want to get this done as soon as possible and then not really slip behind (I'm currently 10% ahead of the curve). Should I just schedule it for early in the morning and not go to work that day at all then try to go to work the next day? I'm p sure I can't make it to day 7, it hurts real bad.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

No advice for that situation specifically, but AFAIK the only way the navy fixes ingrown toenails is to rip the whole thing out. So, uh, good luck with that.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Harmburger posted:

No advice for that situation specifically, but AFAIK the only way the navy fixes ingrown toenails is to rip the whole thing out. So, uh, good luck with that.

gently caress. That. poo poo.

Time to bust out the Jack Daniels and get cutting

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The right answer is probably to call your TC or whoever staff is directly responsible for you and ask. Ballston Spa's a bit screwy for stuff like medical / sick call, but the staff should know the workings, and practically everything you do non-recreational outside of work you should at least give them a heads up.

Yan Bao Qin
Jun 18, 2008
You really need to tell your staff. We're not here to gently caress you. Let us help you, you dumb rat bastard.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
I told my TC and made an appointment and sure enough they're taking the whole nail. But at least I get out of work early for it!

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
oh god always tell your staff dude or they get hosed and then hate you for the rest of your time there

e: mention it to your staff advisor even if you told the TC or else your staff advisor might get buttfucked when he doesnt know where you are because the tc forgot because hes a dirtbag

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Is Charleston nptu really going to put me on fep for a sat pfa?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Sat?! C'mon, son. This poo poo ain't hard. And, probably. Most training commands I've ever dealt with require good low as a minimum.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
I was never going behind my staffs back or anything my sa and lpo knew I was making the appt

Edit: furthermore, when I asked my lpo how to go about making a medical appointment he told me, "first you use your hands to call em then your voice to tell them you need an appointment."

Fake edit: they are currently doing the yanking.

ChewedFood fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 18, 2013

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Sat?! C'mon, son. This poo poo ain't hard. And, probably. Most training commands I've ever dealt with require good low as a minimum.

Sat kept me off fep for A school and power school so rather than an extra trip to the gym I studied for an extra hour. I mean I was on 3 days a week command pt but not fep.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I don't even remember doing a PRT in Ballston Spa, nor do I recall where you'd do one. Not like you'd run around the facility.

camino
Feb 23, 2006
I was on FEP at BSpa due to failing the PRT in power school. I don't think we ever ran a PRT while we were there, we just had to hang out with the effeminate gym dude for an hour everyday before watch.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

I don't even remember doing a PRT in Ballston Spa, nor do I recall where you'd do one. Not like you'd run around the facility.

We did a PRT at the end of off crew in the literally freezing rain. They subtracted a full minute from everyones run time though.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

Sat kept me off fep for A school and power school so rather than an extra trip to the gym I studied for an extra hour. I mean I was on 3 days a week command pt but not fep.

lol :rolleyes:

its gonna own how fat you panel sitting types get when you get to a ship if you cant even be bothered to not be a fatass in school lol

mokhtar belmokhtar fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 18, 2013

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

its gonna own how fat you panel sitting types get when you get to a ship if you cant even be bothered to not be a fatass in school lol

I work in admin, I work out more (and so do the YNs) than I normally do because yeah they are the 'sit around at a computer' so yeah, work out more

(And at Balston we ran around site, they secured the entrance, ran from the parking lot to the entrance and back.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What makes you think I am a fat rear end? The fact that it took me 15 seconds longer to to run a mile and a half than some magical Navy wizard dictated it should take me to be "good". I just suck at running. I am a mechanic so I do not think I am going to be a panel sitter.

I have never failed a PFA, poo poo just isn't easy for me.

1337_ScriptKiddie fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 18, 2013

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

What makes you think I am a fat rear end? The fact that it took me 15 seconds longer to to run a mile and a half than some magical Navy wizard dictated it should take me to be "good". I just suck at running. I am a mechanic so I do not think I am going to be a panel sitter.

I have never failed a PFA, poo poo just isn't easy for me.

that excuse doesn't really work for me since i went into the navy almost overweight and never had ran over a half mile in my life, eventually got down to a sub 10 minute 1.5 miles because running helps running, thats all there is to it. Seriously ~not good at running~ is a stupid excuse because you're being lazy

And i was more laughing at the fact that apparently you don't have an extra 3 hours or whatever in a week

Not caring is cool but I just laugh at people's excuses when they suck at doing the PRT :)

mokhtar belmokhtar fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 18, 2013

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

that excuse doesn't really work for me since i went into the navy almost overweight and never had ran over a half mile in my life, eventually got down to a sub 10 minute 1.5 miles because running helps running, thats all there is to it. Seriously ~not good at running~ is a stupid excuse because you're being lazy

And i was more laughing at the fact that apparently you don't have an extra 3 hours or whatever in a week

Not caring is cool but I just laugh at people's excuses when they suck at doing the PRT :)

I was skinny and slow. I don't like running. I suck at it. I like the stopping portion at the end. I was always at the very low end of passing the 1.5mi.

Then I started to get fat. So I decided to get over myself and run more. Now at age *cough* I'm faster on the 1.5mi than I was at 20.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

I was not great at power school, in order to do well enough to keep a 2.8 GPA I would literally stay in the Rickover until it was time for bed, wake up and do it again. I would do 8+ hours on the weekend, so the other 40 hours of the weekend I would catch up on sleep and hang out with my wife. Very sorry I did not go get an extra two runs in and achieve your level of success.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

Very sorry I did not go get an extra two runs in and achieve your level of success.

don't bitch about it if you won't put in the effort

it's almost like ive heard your excuses a million times before~

camino
Feb 23, 2006

The good news is when you get out, you'll totally get a better job because you can run faster.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

camino posted:

The good news is when you get out, you'll totally get a better job because you can run faster.

look i dont care if you fail every single one because ~why do i need this to do my job~ or whatever but just don't make stupid rear end excuses is all i'm saying i hope this has been spelled out well enough for you cool person!

edited so i don't get reported for being rude

mokhtar belmokhtar fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 19, 2013

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Is it actually possible to be put on FEP for passing? I thought that was reserved exclusively for failures?

edit: For the sake of argument, I'm lazy(but not fat), so I don't run super fast. I plan to run 3 miles a year in the future.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Except I never bitched. I was just trying to figure out what my fate will be in an information thread.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Harmburger posted:

Is it actually possible to be put on FEP for passing? I thought that was reserved exclusively for failures?

edit: For the sake of argument, I'm lazy(but not fat), so I don't run super fast. I plan to run 3 miles a year in the future.

Training commands frequently have it in their local FEP/PRT instruction that anything below a good-low will result in placement on FEP. It's a common thing at training commands. It's not as common in the fleet, but still can happen.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

Except I never bitched. I was just trying to figure out what my fate will be in an information thread.

pouted* sorry again

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Thanks Mr. Meowlins. I am going to take what you said and file the fep for sat rumor as plausible.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
They didn't take my whole nail because I asked them not to! They also didn't give me any meds even though I asked them to.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

At least they didn't cut your toe off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho

Mad Dragon posted:

At least they didn't cut your toe off.

At least they didnt cut his other toes off*

• Locked thread