Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midnightghoul posted:

The thread has now become centered primarily on why there are black characters in the game (based on a tanned looking legionnaire in a lower quality stream) and how much this inclusion is an "abomination". I love TWC so much.

It's pretty funny to see people who clearly never lived near the Mediterranean shocked that their Roman aryan heroes are as dark as a Moroccan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012

Mans posted:

It's pretty funny to see people who clearly never lived near the Mediterranean shocked that their Roman aryan heroes are as dark as a Moroccan.

I'm a white guy and I get pretty tan. If an Emperor commanded me to go to Egypt and start wandering around outdoors for 16 hours a day, then I'd get dark pretty fast too. Not to mention all the Iberians, North Africans, Syrians, Ethiopians and olive-skinned people that came to be folded into Rome. One of the saddest things about the racists that are flipping out about dark-skinned Legionnaires is that they're crying "HISTORICAL REALISM". I guess if they're allowed to cherry-pick whatever facts they want to believe in, then CA is equally excused to make concessions to realism to enhance gameplay.

As far as getting the CA reps interested in at least stopping by now and then, I'm not really sure. Should we send them an official e-mail? Buy an account and politely shove the login credentials politely under their doorstep? I want to get the ball rolling on this, but I'm not quite sure where to begin.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Mans posted:

What it sounds like that thread needs is the Moors scene from True Romance.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Space Wizard posted:

I'm a white guy and I get pretty tan. If an Emperor commanded me to go to Egypt and start wandering around outdoors for 16 hours a day, then I'd get dark pretty fast too. Not to mention all the Iberians, North Africans, Syrians, Ethiopians and olive-skinned people that came to be folded into Rome. One of the saddest things about the racists that are flipping out about dark-skinned Legionnaires is that they're crying "HISTORICAL REALISM". I guess if they're allowed to cherry-pick whatever facts they want to believe in, then CA is equally excused to make concessions to realism to enhance gameplay.

Make the Iceni black, please everyone.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Arcsquad12 posted:

Holy poo poo, the Uesugi are a tough nation to play. You even think about defending your vassal and suddenly the Date jump you with a doom stack. If not them, than the Takeda, or the Hojo, or the Imagawa.

Yeah I grabbed shogun 2 recently to get my total war fix and the uesugi might be the hardest start in any of these games I can remember. The best bet seemed to be jumping ikko ikki right away since you can get a monk first turn but if you want to use warrior monks with ikko ikki lands being your base you might as well just play ikko ikki.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dark skinned people in Rome? What's next? A Spanish Emperor? The Empire would collapse within a year!

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

tables posted:

I'm finally building a gaming rig and the battles are going to be glorious. Ultra everything, biggest unit sizes, all that. Are there any mods that make the unit sizes ridiculous for Napoleon?
Off the top of my head, DarthMod gives you the option to raise the unit limit to 40.

Unit size can be manually manipulated by changing the multiplier and is often changed slightly in different mods.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?566332-Unit-Sizes

Personally, for a number of reasons I'd stay away from DarthMod and check out LME instead. I'm having trouble increasing the unit limit though.

Space Wizard posted:

Quick edit for Victor: LME 4.1 is out and pretty good. Though if you're like I am, then you'll probably want to do something about their odd music choices.
Thanks for the heads up, Space Wizard. It does look like a great improvement.

But does anyone have a clue how you raise the unit limit in LME 4.1 for Napoleon?

I've tried checking the Wolves Armies Submod on the launcher, but the description implies that I'm missing some last manual step: "Activate this if you want to play LME with Wolves In The Throne Room´s increased unit limit submod. Please Note! You still have to enable the 40 unit armies feature yourself"

I've tried navigating the countless stickies on TWC, but there doesn't seem to be a step by step guide to help with this last step.

I'd really any appreciate any help!

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

PerilPastry posted:

But does anyone have a clue how you raise the unit limit in LME 4.1 for Napoleon?

I've tried checking the Wolves Armies Submod on the launcher, but the description implies that I'm missing some last manual step: "Activate this if you want to play LME with Wolves In The Throne Room´s increased unit limit submod. Please Note! You still have to enable the 40 unit armies feature yourself"

I've tried navigating the countless stickies on TWC, but there doesn't seem to be a step by step guide to help with this last step.

I'd really any appreciate any help!

I'm pretty sure that last step is a tickmark on the LME launcher.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Flippycunt posted:

I'm pretty sure that last step is a tickmark on the LME launcher.
Sadly, no. Supposedly, you need to edit your save game which I've tried with no luck whatsoever.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Is there a mod for Rome 1 or preferably Medieval 2 that adds replenishment ala Napoleon or Shogun? I really want to play one of the two after watching all this Rome 2 stuff, but the micromanaging of replacing losses is such a huge pain.

Also what are the goto mods for those two? Is stainless steel still the way to go?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Xenoborg posted:

Is there a mod for Rome 1 or preferably Medieval 2 that adds replenishment ala Napoleon or Shogun? I really want to play one of the two after watching all this Rome 2 stuff, but the micromanaging of replacing losses is such a huge pain.

Also what are the goto mods for those two? Is stainless steel still the way to go?
I've been playing Rome 1 again to get hyped for the sequel, and this is all I could think about. That and EB's units are delicate as all hell.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Do you guys still use the goon Steam group?

EDIT: Nevermind!

Azran fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 16, 2013

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

So my Napoleon broke. The main screen ui isn't appearing, only the background, so I can't do poo poo. I've reinstalled and verified the cache. Any ideas?

Pic: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=153370118

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Clear out the scripts folder in %AppData%\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Napoleon. If that doesn't work clear out the whole Napoleon folder, but back up the saved game folder if you want it.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So I have both, but I was wondering, for epic campaigns and freeform dickery, which is better? Napoleon, or Empire?

I've gotten most of the fun I can out of the base Shogun 2 game, but I barely ever dipped my feet into those two games due to the lackluster response both got at certain points in the past. My brief experiences with Empire made me think it's better for sandbox dickery, but from what I understand Napoleon has better gameplay mechanics?

On another note, I also just discovered the wonders of Medieval 2 modding. All I have to say is holy poo poo there's an insanely large modding community to that game. Everything from a Game of Thrones, to Lord of the Rings, and even stuff as insane as Zelda: Total War is present there.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 17, 2013

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.
Napoleon is Empire on a smaller scale but otherwise better in every way.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

All you really 'lose' in scale in Napoleon is an inconsequential North Americas map and an India map that should really have been the subject of it's own mini-campaign to do it justice. Oh and the tech tree is changed so that you don't have to research how to shoot properly.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Napoleon is limited in scope in that the campaigns all feature 2-4 huge factions each- but all of the great mods mentioned lately in the thread feature some kind of grand campaign that has many other factions enabled which feels more like a big traditional total war game instead of the small scale expansion campaigns that Napoleon resembled, to me at least, right out of the box.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Alchenar posted:

All you really 'lose' in scale in Napoleon is an inconsequential North Americas map and an India map that should really have been the subject of it's own mini-campaign to do it justice. Oh and the tech tree is changed so that you don't have to research how to shoot properly.

No trade theaters, either. And no India means you can't sail several boatloads of elephants to America to fight the Iroquois, which is always awesome. I don't really feel like the New World is inconsquential, either. Instead of fighting huge stacks of troops to gain already-profitable provinces, you fight smaller armies to gain poor provinces that you can build into economic powerhouses over time. Adds a bit of variety to the game, I think.

Mostly I just love the grand scale of Empire, even if it's rough around the edges compared to Napoleon.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Europe is larger scale and more involved in Napoleon to make up for the loss of the other theatres. It doesn't feel small at all, for me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Archonex posted:

even stuff as insane as Zelda: Total War is present there.

Oh you've barely scratched the surface.

We have such sights to show you.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I am surprised nobody hasn't pounced on a Lets Play of that mod.

John Charity Spring posted:

Europe is larger scale and more involved in Napoleon to make up for the loss of the other theatres. It doesn't feel small at all, for me.

Pretty much. I despise Empires Tiny Europe, which by 1725 is occupied by one great power.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Jerusalem posted:

Oh you've barely scratched the surface.

We have such sights to show you.

Is that...
Is that a T-Rex attacking a line of Cookie Monster axe infantry?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

canyoneer posted:

Is that...
Is that a T-Rex attacking a line of Cookie Monster axe infantry?

while being ridden by the hulk

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

And that really is just the tip of the wonderful creative insanity.

So, LME is it worth it for Napoleon? How long are the battles?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I haven't had that many yet, but battles in LME seem take about the same time as vanilla. I can't say if units have more morale total, but it takes a lot more to get them from routing (i.e. white flashing flag) to broken (no flag at all). So even mass-routs time may recover in time, especially with the help of a general. On the flipside most fire (especially from artillery) seems to be a fair bit more deadly, so it kinda balances out.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Sounds reasonable. TROM battles took something like 25-30 minutes each and we're too drat draining.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Perestroika posted:

I haven't had that many yet, but battles in LME seem take about the same time as vanilla. I can't say if units have more morale total, but it takes a lot more to get them from routing (i.e. white flashing flag) to broken (no flag at all). So even mass-routs time may recover in time, especially with the help of a general. On the flipside most fire (especially from artillery) seems to be a fair bit more deadly, so it kinda balances out.

This is what I like most about LME. Troops will run, but as long as you have your general alive and a reserve to hold the enemy off, you can usually get them back into the fight. It also means battles tend to ebb and flow over different parts of the map instead of fighting in one spot until 90% of everyone is dead.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
That's something I never figured out in Shogun 2. Does setting a rally point only work if I manually force a fall-back? If the unit breaks on their own they head for the hills and might disband, right?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Shumagorath posted:

That's something I never figured out in Shogun 2. Does setting a rally point only work if I manually force a fall-back? If the unit breaks on their own they head for the hills and might disband, right?

Are your units SHATTERED or BROKEN? Broken units still appear in the card display, and will sooner or later reform to fight. Shattered units dissapear, and will exit the map.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I think I've finally got my footing with the Uesugi. I gave up my vassal, allied with the Mogami (who surprisingly obliterated the Date and kicked out the Hojo). Then I allied with the Ikko-Ikki to use them as a buffer against the Takeda and the dudes with the green circle banner. Once I'd ripped up the Satomi, killed off the Takeda and the Oda, and then turned on the Ikko Ikki, I think my frontier is set, with only allies behind.

Now if only I could get Echigo back from my allied Yamouchi.... it's hard being the DRAGON OF ECHIGO if you don't even own the province.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Don't worry they'll turn on you sooner rather than later. Emergency vassals are extremely effective for disrupting enemy movements and giving yourself time to patch up, but never expect it to be a long time thing; if they're on your rear, through you is the only way they can expand, and if they're at your front they're easy pickings for everybody else. But those temporary vassals combined with trying to get a peace deal whenever you win a decisive victory really help me through rough spots in campaigns. Don't worry about getting tied down by them, the AI will always betray you- and with the peace deals it'll almost always be before the honour break too, so everybody will end up hating them too which is always nice.

The Uesugi are crazy to play, but I think you've gotten past the hardest parts if you have territory from coast to coast. Make sure you grab Sado and Izu (the two provinces with gold near you) or you'll be in a lot of trouble come realm divide though- and you have some pretty good natural borders in that part of the map, so don't overextend yourself.

And the green circle banner clan is the Hatakeyama by the way, you'll remember their name pretty soon; they start with provinces in three different parts of the map so they always make it to the late game. (And always hate us)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pulled an excellent play against the Hatakeyama. Kenshin had diverted east from Kai to assault the Satomi, who were pushing up through Yamouichi territory towards Etchu. I managed to draw them back south by attacking Musashi and Hitachi. Problem was, the Hatakeyama decided to attack the relatively unguarded Kai region with a full stack of samurai and generals. I fought with limited garrisons, whittling them down even as they sacked Kai and stormed east for Musashi. Musashi fell next, with Kenshin on his way back from conquering Hitachi. By this point, the Hatakeyama had lost about half their troops, so I laid siege for a turn, hoping to draw them into a field battle.

The ploy worked, and a half strength stack went up against my elite army with Kenshin himself leading. Massacred the Hatakeyama family by killing all three generals in the stack and obliterating them. This caused so much damage to their military that I forced them to sue for peace, and break their alliance with the Takeda, holed up in Kaga. Between myself and the Ikko-Ikki madmen, the Takeda were vanquished, and the Hatakeyama military power has been broken ever since.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Flippycunt posted:

This is what I like most about LME. Troops will run, but as long as you have your general alive and a reserve to hold the enemy off, you can usually get them back into the fight. It also means battles tend to ebb and flow over different parts of the map instead of fighting in one spot until 90% of everyone is dead.

I'm sold then.

It is kind of sad how useless the broken morale and rally stuff is in default considering the other things like casualties and stamina are heavily stacked against them.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm sold then.

It's not bad, but LME does have its annoyances:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

It's not bad, but LME does have its annoyances:

I've come to accept this sort of thing since ETW to be fair.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
This Egypt campaign in Napoleon is so rad.

I just took one of the mission objective cities wayyy out in the desert in the southwest. It's located 2-3 turns travel time deep into an attrition desert area, and I took the city with entirely native units (Libyan Bedouins and Dromedary Cav).
The defenders outnumbered my units about 3 to 1, but were entirely melee units (two camel melee cav units and a bunch of sword infantry). I pulled in units one or two at a time using the camels as skirmishers into the firing lines and scored a heroic victory. They just couldn't hold up to a bunch of measly peasants with muskets. A handful of enemies ended up closing to melee range and cleaning house though.

What a thrill.

Are there any mods or texture packs to make this game look less... 2010?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

There are texture packs and mods that are dedicated to making NTW look slightly more pretty, the same really with Empire.

Just don't expect any total conversion style mods, or mods that alter the general campaign map outside appearinces.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

PerilPastry posted:

Sadly, no. Supposedly, you need to edit your save game which I've tried with no luck whatsoever.

Have you followed these instructions exactly? (The last post). I've unlocked 40 units for all sorts of Napoleon/empire/shogun mods by editing the save.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?463295-40-units-per-army-and-LME/page4

And I think because Rome 2 is the same engine we should be able to unlock 40 also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Post E3 Q&A http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/69006-Official-Q-amp-A-Post-E3?s=a38eabca1767096ac028ff7c198f2e8e , I'm really intrigued about about what the new multiplayer will be and hopefully CA can make something really good,