Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I finally got around to watching Into The Wild last night. I've caught a few scenes of it before on TV, but never put the time in to watch it all. The cinematography as well as his views of life where absolutely stunning. It's been out almost six years now and I cant believe it took my this long to get to it, definitely worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Zwabu posted:

If you want to watch a movie that is visually pretty and full of style, action and music but has very little in the way of substance otherwise, watch "Streets of Fire". It's basically a very stylish comic book set to film.

If you want an idea of what to expect, the movie poster pretty much conveys what the film will be like, a Google Image Search on the title will also pretty much show you what you'll be getting.

Bunraku kinds works in this way, but with more influence from pop-up books. There were a heck of a lot of things that could have been done better with the story, but it's neat to watch and see what they do with the presentation.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
"Streets of Fire" is amazing, if only for the climactic sledgehammer duel. Yes. Sledgehammer duel. It has that weird, '80s obsession with the '50s going for it, as well. Everyone has a duck's-rear end haircut and pleated pants.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

axleblaze posted:

I disagree on a few levels. On a basic plot level Tommy needs to be defeated to truly let go of the past. He's spent his whole life just fighting his past and he needs to be shown that that won't work. If Tommy had won, he would have taken the money and never looked back. Brenden needs to win. There's also no way Brendan won't help Tommy with his problems while Tommy wouldn't care if Brenden lost his house.

On a more broad level the movie really sets up Tommy as a villain and Brenden as the lovable underdog. Tommy has underdog characteristics and the things he's fighting for are legit but on a broad level he is shown as being the terrifying, silent rear end in a top hat that knocks people out in one punch leaving them half dead. Without all the backstory, he'd be the villain but the beautiful thing about Warrior is it gives us that backstory so we feel more conflicted.

I just can't support Brenden's goal. He's fighting to save his bourgie little American dream life while Tommy is there to provide for a fallen comrade's family. Which cause is more just, a mortgage or a widowed wife and child?

And you have to respect Tommy for staying with their mom while she died of cancer while Brenden left to marry his sweetheart.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Jay Dub posted:

If you've ever wanted to watch a bafflingly terrible Russian sci-fi movie about how advertising demons are taking over the earth, Branded just might be for you.

Everyone should see this movie not because it's important or smart, but because it's one of the most insanely ridiculous and self-righteous bad movies ever made.

The whole film is about a dude who goes crazy after bathing in cow blood and starts seeing advertisements as giant Pokemon. So he fights back against fast food chains by creating a vegetarian campaign that spawns his own dragon Pokemon to fight the other ad Pokemon. And if all that wasn't crazy enough, the film is narrated by a talking cow in the stars.

It's just begging for a Rifftrax.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

More kung fu mini-reviews:

Tai Chi Zero is awesome and crazy and seems like it could be made by Stephen Chow (Shaolin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle) but it's made by a totally different Stephen.

Muay Thai Warrior was a little slow but the mustachioed mowhawk badasses made up for it. Some pretty decent cinematography and choreography.

I've been holding off on Tai Chi Zero cause it looked iffy, I'll give it a watch.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

"Streets of Fire" is amazing, if only for the climactic sledgehammer duel. Yes. Sledgehammer duel. It has that weird, '80s obsession with the '50s going for it, as well. Everyone has a duck's-rear end haircut and pleated pants.

It's quite the strange concept:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJGo2rvfSuA

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

FrostedButts posted:

Everyone should see this movie not because it's important or smart, but because it's one of the most insanely ridiculous and self-righteous bad movies ever made.

The whole film is about a dude who goes crazy after bathing in cow blood and starts seeing advertisements as giant Pokemon. So he fights back against fast food chains by creating a vegetarian campaign that spawns his own dragon Pokemon to fight the other ad Pokemon. And if all that wasn't crazy enough, the film is narrated by a talking cow in the stars.

It's just begging for a Rifftrax.

Also one of the symptoms of society's decline is that there are fat people on TV and people aren't totally disgusted.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ammanas posted:

I just can't support Brenden's goal. He's fighting to save his bourgie little American dream life while Tommy is there to provide for a fallen comrade's family. Which cause is more just, a mortgage or a widowed wife and child?

And you have to respect Tommy for staying with their mom while she died of cancer while Brenden left to marry his sweetheart.

I think dismissing "losing your home and having to move your family because your daughter was sick" as bourgie is a little cold. Tommy's goals are probably more noble but the movie doesn't really make it about who deserves it more. As I said if Tommy won, none of his problems would have really gone away and he wouldn't really have grown at all as a person. the movie makes it so losing there is the only way he can really move forward. The widow gets money if Tommy wins, but that's the only problem in the movie that gets resolved through that

Regarding the second point, Tommy left, not Brenden, when they left his mom wasn't dying and Brenden didn't even know she was dying until she was dead. He was a kid and was given an instant decision of throwing away his life to help his mother. It's not a scenario that has an easy "he did the right/wrong thing answer".

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Haha that's awesome. I need to see more 80's action movies with cheesy bands.

Miami Connection delivers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVtyOwcQo-w

Buckaroo Banzai of course:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbBMzGUlIRw

Purple Rain, not really action but too awesome not to consider:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKVDdm-bpKY

What else is there? :)

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

Yeah I hope some people will see it based on recs here. I saw it on the big screen as a kid and that's the best place for it, it's a big entertaining spectacle.

"Streets of Fire" also features Diane Lane right in the wheelhouse of her being the Hollywood "It" girl, in the same couple years as "Outsiders" and "Rumble Fish" and "Cotton Club". So it's worth it for that alone, as well as Willem Dafoe being a hammer wielding, motorcycle riding villain, and awesome looking 50s cars and sharp musical numbers.

I'm biased because of nostalgia factors, but I just saw it again this weekend and it's pretty drat entertaining, you could do a lot better watching this than a lot of dreck that gets discussed in this thread. Again not deep, but very memorable visually, and entertaining.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Netflix recommended Bloodfist to me for liking Miami Connection. God drat they were right on the money.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Miami Connection may be the perfect movie.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Samfucius posted:

Miami Connection may be the perfect movie.

So you're against the ninja?

I only wish I managed to catch it when it was out in theatres last year.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

Khorne Flakes posted:

I finally got around to watching Into The Wild last night. I've caught a few scenes of it before on TV, but never put the time in to watch it all. The cinematography as well as his views of life where absolutely stunning. It's been out almost six years now and I cant believe it took my this long to get to it, definitely worth watching.

If you enjoyed his life views then you really need to read the book, I caught the movie first and was uninterested and Alex came off as pretentious, I was surprised when I went back and checked and the Actor wasn't James Franco.

The book I couldn't put down though.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Escape From LA is up. Even one of the worst Kurt Russell movies is still a Kurt Russell movie.

IIRC there's surfing on lava and a slam dunk competition to the death, not to mention a John Carpenter soundtrack.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Tsunami surfing!

Also: Pam Grier!

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

So you're against the ninja?

I only wish I managed to catch it when it was out in theatres last year.

I drove two hours for a midnight showing, one of the best times I've had in a theater. Everyone in the room was crying from laughter, it was beautiful.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Escape From LA is up. Even one of the worst Kurt Russell movies is still a Kurt Russell movie.

IIRC there's surfing on lava and a slam dunk competition to the death, not to mention a John Carpenter soundtrack.

More like surfing on water and a shooting competition to the death, but still legit nonetheless.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I remember the soundtrack was excellent when it came out. Orange 9mm, Civ, Sugar Ray before they turned into some weird Jimmy Buffet band...

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I guess that means it's been too long.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Escape from LA may be no Escape from New York but it does have this scene in it-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue8TvvYik74

And it's still a lot better than its modern knock off, Lockout.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Don't rewatch it. Keep that memory alive.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I like to watch both Escape movies and see which things are actually coming true.

Those horribly disfigured plastic-surgery addicts from Escape from LA came true in a big way.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Mrens posted:

If you enjoyed his life views then you really need to read the book, I caught the movie first and was uninterested and Alex came off as pretentious, I was surprised when I went back and checked and the Actor wasn't James Franco.

The book I couldn't put down though.

The book is great because Jon Krakauer is alternately admiring and admonishing of him. On the one hand you get "Isn't this awesome? He's living the dream" and on the other it's "How could you be so loving stupid". It's also interesting that McCandless mentioned how close he and his sister was etc and then when she's interviewed she's basically "I dunno, we didn't talk for years".

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I like to watch both Escape movies and see which things are actually coming true.

Those horribly disfigured plastic-surgery addicts from Escape from LA came true in a big way.

Plus the hilarious conservative parody of them finally getting their dream of being able to exile whores, gays and other desirables to a lockdown island.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Don't rewatch it. Keep that memory alive.

I rewatched it earlier today. I definitely like New York better: darker tone, better synth, crazier cast. The sequel is fun in it's own right though. It approaches the peak campiness of 90s action.

I remembered it correctly as one of my least favorite Kurt Russell movies, being only slightly better than Captain Ron.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I watched Knuckleball! this afternoon and it was pretty decent. Kind of similar to the 30 for 30 series. It follows Tim Wakefield and R.A. Dickey through the 2011 baseball season and shows them as sort of the last of a dying breed of knuckleball pitchers. My only complaint is that it was released before Dickey won the Cy Young and probably saved the knuckleball.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

The Vice documentary about Snoop Lion (nee Dogg) Reincarnated recently got added and I've been meaning to check it out. It was really well put together and had some real heart, and ended up being more emotionally powerful than I expected it to. Definitely recommend.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

axleblaze posted:

The only thing that really bothers me in Warrior (and this might seem silly), is that Brendan's wife shows up to support him. She's really right in the movie at pretty much every point and when she gives him that speech before he leaves it really feels like him doing this is hurting her but that's just kind of forgotten because he's winning so all that subtext and all that emotional stuff just gets thrown out the window so she can support him. It just felt like they took a shortcut there.

Seriously, this almost ruined the movie for me. It does so many things right, and then that. It really really pissed me off, the movie goes from presenting the characters as in a relationship to 'Whatever who cares he is winning!" bullshit. I think I would have liked it more if she had just stayed with the students or something.

Luckily, the rest of the movie mostly made up for that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FrostedButts posted:

Branded is one of the most insane, stupid movies I've ever seen that its writer/directors were clearly convinced was brilliant and important. I could feel the :smug: radiating off the film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I thought Branded was more goofy than smug.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My feeling was that the creators were making an attempt to spread an important message and stopped one step shy of calling the viewers "sheeple".

But it was goofy, too.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It has high amounts of both.

It's so darn goofy because it has an awful lot of CGI creatures for a movie about the evils of advertising and so darn smug for the worst written dialogue.

The movie actually ends with the Russian government declaring "a ban on all advertisements."

The only way this movie could be anymore over-the-top smug and goofy is if they also passed laws banning fast-food, smoking, being a Republican, not driving an electric card and eating too many calories.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I just saw Super and loved it. I especially liked Crimson Bolt's rant to Kevin Bacon right before stabbing him to death. It's like a better, braver Kick rear end.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

FrostedButts posted:

It has high amounts of both.

It's so darn goofy because it has an awful lot of CGI creatures for a movie about the evils of advertising and so darn smug for the worst written dialogue.

The movie actually ends with the Russian government declaring "a ban on all advertisements."

The only way this movie could be anymore over-the-top smug and goofy is if they also passed laws banning fast-food, smoking, being a Republican, not driving an electric card and eating too many calories.

There are places that have a ban on advertising, though. Like, right now. Sao Paulo, Brazil has had it as a law for over 5 years and it's been almost universally praised by everyone who isn't a billionaire or an ad exec.

It probably says a lot about how ingrained advertising is in our culture that it's considered one of Are Freedoms :negative:

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

quote:

hefty half-vampire Blubberella sets her always-ravenous sights on a Nazi leader who's concocting a diabolical plan: to create an army of undead soldiers to help his Führer conquer the globe.

How in the hell can you gently caress up a movie with THIS INCREDIBLE a description?

One star. I'm heart broken. I can't watch it. But goddamn it sounds awesomely awesome. Horrible.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Blubberella/70217954?trkid=8264336

Oh my GOD the Trailer looks so awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faASWINSgJY

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 20, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

magnificent7 posted:

How in the hell can you gently caress up a movie with THIS INCREDIBLE a description?

One star. I'm heart broken. I can't watch it. But goddamn it sounds awesomely awesome. Horrible.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Blubberella/70217954?trkid=8264336

Oh my GOD the Trailer looks so awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faASWINSgJY

If you don't already know the story of the movie's production it's funnier than the actual movie: Uwe Boll was shooting a Bloodrayne sequel set in Nazi Germany, and he re-used the sets and actors to make an almost identical movie only as a comedy with a fat girl as the lead.

Then he used those same sets to make a serious movie about Auschwitz.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It probably says a lot about how ingrained advertising is in our culture that it's considered one of Are Freedoms :negative:

Even coming from Canada, when I got to the US I'm always initially taken aback by the amount of advertising that is plastered absolutely everywhere. We certainly have our fair share of public advertising up here, but the States turns it up to 11 for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

AgentHaiTo posted:

I just saw Super and loved it. I especially liked Crimson Bolt's rant to Kevin Bacon right before stabbing him to death. It's like a better, braver Kick rear end.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'd been meaning to watch that again. :D

• Locked thread