Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I've seen pagans form kingdoms but only if they have absolutely every de jure county in it. In my Iceland game Sweden and Denmark formed quickly with all their territory but Ostandlet never formed Norway and just sat around until I Subjugated him despite having loads of money and all the territory required except for the little islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING
Nobody in CK2+ ever forms a title on their own, it feels like. I've seen big fat nations sit on easily-formed Kingdom titles for the full 50 years to integrate them (e.g. Persia in Azerbaijan). I've seen an Old Norse country take over all of Ireland and chunks of Scotland and England, yet despite Gavelkind succession and fifteen children per ruler remain consistently unified because it's still a single duchy. Wiz should just make an event for the AI which automatically makes the usurp/create any titles they have a majority control over and get the appropriate prestige.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I dunno, I'm seeing kingdoms and empires being formed in the mainland, but it's real loving weird:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972800155/screenshot/578992213585670617

From game start, Lotharingia was inherited by Lombardy, and they formed the Italian Empire. Somehow, in the next generation, Lotharingia (the title specifically) went to West Francia, which was cutting into Spain, and now they managed to form the Spanish Empire (which is currently collapsing) despite Asturias being the dominant Iberian power? It's a real mess down there.

Also, in all this time, only the East Francians managed to switch to Primogeniture. Probably the only thing keeping them together too. Gavelkind is really hosed right now, and the AI ought to be actively seeking to get out of it because it's the biggest thing holding them back.

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

What determines which "revoke the county of [X]" plots are available? I typically have one or two at any time, and they're usually for the same counties, no matter who the vassal count is.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

regularizer posted:

What determines which "revoke the county of [X]" plots are available? I typically have one or two at any time, and they're usually for the same counties, no matter who the vassal count is.

From what I've noticed it's almost always dukes that hold a county outside their de jure duchy.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I disabled Sunset Invasion and loaded my last save from before the Aztecs, I am much happier now. My grandson was now born as twins instead of a Quick awesome dude, which is too bad, but on the bright side I can get back to doing fun poo poo like slapping down a bitchy duchess who got too big for her britches and plotting against motherfuckers.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

regularizer posted:

You can do it against counts with more than one county, dukes with counties outside their duchy, dukes with no county titles and no count vassals inside the de jure duchy (target: duchy), and counts inside the same duchy as your capital.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

is there some kind of baby's first falkyrate guide so I can learn a bit about what I can do with reformed paganism?

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

I disabled Sunset Invasion and loaded my last save from before the Aztecs, I am much happier now. My grandson was now born as twins instead of a Quick awesome dude, which is too bad, but on the bright side I can get back to doing fun poo poo like slapping down a bitchy duchess who got too big for her britches and plotting against motherfuckers.

It's pretty much only there for the ultra-blobbers in the West so that they have something to challenge them. If you don't play games for world conquest it'll more or less gently caress you up.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dirty_Moses posted:

It's pretty much only there for the ultra-blobbers in the West so that they have something to challenge them. If you don't play games for world conquest it'll more or less gently caress you up.
I am playing for world conquest, just it's my first real game (the first two descended into chaos as I made rookie mistakes). I had Ireland, Wales, Brittany, Scotland, England, and France when the Aztecs hit, but that was only 80-90k men I could muster, tops. Not enough :(

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Should I be getting raided by other vikings as a reformed viking in CK2+?

This is because I edited CK2+ to let me raid as a reformed norse, isn't it?

Also, who should I be able to holy war against? I don't have it against any of my pagan neighbours.

Dirty_Moses posted:

It's pretty entertaining to watch the Aztecs do their thing if you aren't in their path of destruction.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

I am playing for world conquest, just it's my first real game (the first two descended into chaos as I made rookie mistakes). I had Ireland, Wales, Brittany, Scotland, England, and France when the Aztecs hit, but that was only 80-90k men I could muster, tops. Not enough :(

Did your vassals hate you? I was able to hold the Aztecs off with Spain and France which is about the same strength as Britannia+France I think, but I had to hand out my entire treasury as gifts and appease the poo poo out of my vassals.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

marktheando posted:

No this is actually normal, reformed norse and old norse can raid against one another in vanilla. Some idiot poo poo in iceland tried to raid me as the fylkir of Britannia and got a swift loving smackdown in the form of a holy war right on his rear end.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

marktheando posted:

You probably need to add a not clause:

code:
from = { not = { religion_group = pagan_group } }

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Domattee posted:

Did your vassals hate you?
No, I was popular -- more so after I got invaded and there was an external foe to rally around. I mean, 80 or 90k is a lot of guys, just not in this case. The HRE, and it's a goddamn monster in my game that's pressed right up against my eastern borders, can only bring 118k.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Reveilled posted:

No this is actually normal, reformed norse and old norse can raid against one another in vanilla. Some idiot poo poo in iceland tried to raid me as the fylkir of Britannia and got a swift loving smackdown in the form of a holy war right on his rear end.

That's reassuring. I just wish I (Norse Russia) had more boats so I could deal with them quickly.

SeaTard posted:

You probably need to add a not clause:

code:
from = { not = { religion_group = pagan_group } }

Wouldn't that mean I can't raid my non-norse pagan neighbours? Have to keep tormenting those guys, it lets them know that they are next to get conquered.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

CapnAndy posted:

Sunset invasion is supposed to be unfair and hard to stop. It's the reverse of what happened when Europeans descended on the new world - the Native American peoples were almost totally helpless against conquistadores and such. You're complaining about the DLC behaving exactly as designed. It's optional, you're never required to use it unless you want a more challenging game. It's definitely not something to use on babbys first long game.

Also, as others have noted, the Golden Horde does the exact same thing to rulers on the eastern edge of the map.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, and I mean, there's no shame in that. It isn't meant to be fair. It's meant to be an incredible challenge for hard-rear end vets :colbert: or some such. Or funny, if you're right between the Mongols and the Aztecs.

I always save before they show up and play two timelines- one with them, one without- just in case they sodomize me.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

HotCanadianChick posted:

It's definitely not something to use on babbys first long game.
Yeah, that's why I'm happier with it off.

On another topic, should we maybe put together a new tutorial LP since the old one's so out of date? Split it up into sections, showing how to play and get your first kingdom as a catholic, as a muslim, as a republic, and as a pagan?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

On another topic, should we maybe put together a new tutorial LP since the old one's so out of date? Split it up into sections, showing how to play and get your first kingdom as a catholic, as a muslim, as a republic, and as a pagan?

I'd be down for that. Maybe it could be a collaborative LP where each person shows off a different expansion or time period/region?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Spiderfist Island posted:

I'd be down for that. Maybe it could be a collaborative LP where each person shows off a different expansion or time period/region?
That's what I was absolutely thinking, we divide it up so one person does one section.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Spiderfist Island posted:

Have to wait for 3 months to elapse after the Old Gods release because of LP rules.

I was thinking of starting a succession game when that happened, actually.

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

CapnAndy posted:

I made an attempt at one a few months back that I ended up abandoning because of general life issues, but I still have all of my explanations on the Muslim UI and starting out that I could throw into this. Or if it's basic stuff we're doing I wouldn't mind starting over to contribute.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
If we do a collaborative tutorial LP I call dibs on Republics, I've been having an absolute blast with them recently. If I do their segment though, I don't think I'd be able to resist a mini-section showing how disgustingly rich you can get as a Norse Republic using ridiculously huge retinues to turn Rome and Byzantium into renewable piñatas. Though, that might change by the time the three month rule wears off.

Byzantium's section almost deserves one of those giant multiplayer games where every Byzantine duke is a human player scheming against everybody else and some poor bastard's stuck as the first emperor.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Would Byzantium deserve it's own section to cover the nuances of Orthodoxy, etc?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Dirty_Moses posted:

Would Byzantium deserve it's own section to cover the nuances of Orthodoxy, etc?
Yeah, probably.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
Has the Republic CB of seizing a coastal county been removed in the last patch? Playing as Pisa and even though I've successfully snagged cities, I can't seize the county the the city is in. Needless to say, this is frustrating.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, probably.

I'd love to do that then. I've a bit of a soft spot for the big ol byz. :getin:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Daeren posted:

Byzantium's section almost deserves one of those giant multiplayer games where every Byzantine duke is a human player scheming against everybody else and some poor bastard's stuck as the first emperor.

Multiplayer LPs never quite work but I would kill to see this happen. Kind of like the Dominions LPs but with more incest.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
What benefits(if any) exist from helping my liege in a war?

Obviously I indirectly help him because he calls up my levies in his armies, but I mean if I were to then call on my own vassals and march off with my own army helping to beat up dudes.

Being part of the HRE I've been involved a lengthy list of wars started by my duke or the HRE emperor and I've been calling up my dudes to go help thinking it might score me some brownie points. But as time wears on I feel like I don't see any benefit from assisting, plus I didn't start the war, so I'm starting to just watch from the sidelines.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Captain Beans posted:

Obviously I indirectly help him because he calls up my levies in his armies, but I mean if I were to then call on my own vassals and march off with my own army helping to beat up dudes.

Being part of the HRE I've been involved a lengthy list of wars started by my duke or the HRE emperor and I've been calling up my dudes to go help thinking it might score me some brownie points. But as time wears on I feel like I don't see any benefit from assisting, plus I didn't start the war, so I'm starting to just watch from the sidelines.

It can help, depending on who you are. If you and your liege are being crusaded upon or invaded, it's usually a good idea to help out because at the very least, your new liege is going to be of a different culture, and probably a different religion.

On the other hand, wars to grab some county aren't really worth it, unless he's pressing your claim.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Captain Beans posted:

Depends on the war, and what your goals are. Helping your king crush someone who is a possible threat to you or your land is probably in your interest. Maybe your intervention means a neighbour has their armies massacred so you can easily beat them up and press some claims after the war ends. But in general there usually isn't a reason to raise your levies for your liege's battles.

opblaaskrokodil
Oct 26, 2004

Your morals are my morals. Your wishes are my code.
Well you can also get prestige/gold by helping your liege if you are sieging down enemy holdings for him, right?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I took an Orthodox concubine to get my leader the option to convert to Orthodoxy, but I don't see it anywhere in the intrigue menu--is it someplace else I'm missing, or was it removed from CK2+?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Okay, so for sections, we have:
1) Standard Catholic
2) Byzantine
3) Muslim
4) Republic
5) Pagans

Missing anything?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

marktheando posted:

Wouldn't that mean I can't raid my non-norse pagan neighbours? Have to keep tormenting those guys, it lets them know that they are next to get conquered.

That is correct. If you want to make it so it's just non-norse you could, but I simply made it non-pagan. I think it helps them hold out against the Catholic onslaught, especially because I play Shattered World and there are almost no pagans at game start. This way they aren't beating up each other, they focus on the larger threat.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, so for sections, we have:
1) Standard Catholic
2) Byzantine
3) Muslim
4) Republic
5) Pagans

Missing anything?

There's also Zoroastrians, I guess..

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

...but how? :psyduck:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Ofaloaf posted:

...but how? :psyduck:

Your daughter isn't telling you who she is having sex with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

Multiplayer LPs never quite work but I would kill to see this happen. Kind of like the Dominions LPs but with more incest.

How does multiplayer work in CK2?

• Locked thread