Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Drone posted:

I've been thinking about getting into drawing for a long time now as a creative outlet -- the trouble is, I draw like a 12 year old. I recall a link here a few years ago from someone who was in a similar situation, essentially starting from scratch in his mid-twenties. He ended up uploading all of his sketchbooks in chronological order over a period of like three-five years to show the massive improvements he made over that time. Does anyone recall this and happen to have a link to it?

You're probably thinking of this, though the time is 9 years:
http://www.amusingplanet.com/2011/09/jonathan-hardesty-9-year-journey-from.html

In looking for that I also found this, a similar but faster digested progression:
http://twentytwowords.com/2013/02/15/an-artists-progression-from-2-years-old-to-25/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RasputinVarez
Nov 12, 2012
I irrationally support inferior conflict CPU's and refute any benchmarks presented to me because of "reasons".

If I'm giving PC advice, you should probably just ignore me.
Hi, i'm making an action film in the university break and am wondering how i can make "squib" like effects for gunshots without any explosives

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

RasputinVarez posted:

Hi, i'm making an action film in the university break and am wondering how i can make "squib" like effects for gunshots without any explosives

What specific effect(s) are you trying to duplicate?

RasputinVarez
Nov 12, 2012
I irrationally support inferior conflict CPU's and refute any benchmarks presented to me because of "reasons".

If I'm giving PC advice, you should probably just ignore me.

Besesoth posted:

What specific effect(s) are you trying to duplicate?

gunshot type effects, bursts of blood.

i'm thinking some kind of compressed air system

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just use a tube if you're too much of a wuss to play around with explosives.
Here's a decent guide:
http://youtu.be/ANXcNihpiwY?t=7m1s

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
Don't know if this is the correct thread, but I've been thinking about buying Naming the World: And Other Exercises for the Creative Writer for my kindle because I've always wanted to get into creative writing as a hobby, but I'm painfully aware that my writing ability is severely lacking. Anyway I just wanted to know if anyone knew if this book was any good and worth buying, or if there are some better books out there?

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009

d3c0y2 posted:

Don't know if this is the correct thread, but I've been thinking about buying Naming the World: And Other Exercises for the Creative Writer for my kindle because I've always wanted to get into creative writing as a hobby, but I'm painfully aware that my writing ability is severely lacking. Anyway I just wanted to know if anyone knew if this book was any good and worth buying, or if there are some better books out there?

The best books you can buy in order to improve your writing ability are bad books IMHO. That may possibly seem counter-intuitive, and it can be kind of a chore to struggle through bad books, but it's the single best way to learn what mistakes to avoid making. Pushing your way through 200 pages of annoying drivel will make you mindful of subjecting others to the same experience. As for what constitutes a bad book... that depends on the kind of "bad" you mean. There are writers with great technical ability who are simply horrible at making something interesting, as well as those with great ideas who lack the ability to adequately express them.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Illegibly Eligible posted:

The best books you can buy in order to improve your writing ability are bad books IMHO. That may possibly seem counter-intuitive, and it can be kind of a chore to struggle through bad books, but it's the single best way to learn what mistakes to avoid making. Pushing your way through 200 pages of annoying drivel will make you mindful of subjecting others to the same experience. As for what constitutes a bad book... that depends on the kind of "bad" you mean. There are writers with great technical ability who are simply horrible at making something interesting, as well as those with great ideas who lack the ability to adequately express them.

Well that isn't a real chore, me and a group of friends often buy the most ridiculous fantasy novels we can find and then read them. It's given us a few laughs over the years, so I've got a big pile of bargain bucket cliche fantasy.

I just went a head and bought the book for my kindle, it wasn't that expensive and I'm fed up of basically telling myself "You'll do something to improve your writing ability" every so often and then pretending that re-reading 100 years of Solitude for the umpteenth time counts as self-improvement. I want to actually set myself on some sort of concrete tangible plan towards improvement and this book seems like it might help to begin with.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Another manuscript question. Should I be underlining things I want italicized, or just go ahead and italicize? I heard underlining was the way to do it at one point, but I don't know if that's changed or not.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

Detective Thompson posted:

Another manuscript question. Should I be underlining things I want italicized, or just go ahead and italicize? I heard underlining was the way to do it at one point, but I don't know if that's changed or not.

When you're proofreading, it's single underline for italics. And double for small caps, triple for all uppercase, single zig-zag line for bold. But that's to be done by hand on the manuscript, so you'd be fine just putting the relevant words in italics to start off with. Doing any typographic work is a distraction though, better to just write plaintext and get the red pen out afterwards.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Color-related question for you designers out there! Is there some sort of tool and/or easy forumla I can use to convert a color from a hex (or RGB value) to a RGBA value with a set opacity?

Real world example: I have a hex for a blue (on the left). I want to convert it to the same value, but at 75% opacity. Here's what I was able to come up with by eyeballing it.

It's close, but still a bit off. And I have enough colors to deal with that it's going to be a huge pain to eyeball every single one. Any help?

e: Web design thread in Cobol found a formula, however I'd still be interested in a handy tool if anyone has one!

kedo fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 30, 2013

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Do you have access to Google Docs? I just wrote out a spreadsheet formula that takes a foreground, background and alpha cell in A2, B2, and C2 (respectively):

code:
=dec2hex(hex2dec(mid(A2,2,6))*C2+hex2dec(mid(B2,2,6))*(1-C2))
Where A2 and B2 contain hex preceded by octothorpes like #FF00FF, and C2 contains a number between 0.0 and 1.0

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

Do you have access to Google Docs? I just wrote out a spreadsheet formula that takes a foreground, background and alpha cell in A2, B2, and C2 (respectively):

code:
=dec2hex(hex2dec(mid(A2,2,6))*C2+hex2dec(mid(B2,2,6))*(1-C2))
Where A2 and B2 contain hex preceded by octothorpes like #FF00FF, and C2 contains a number between 0.0 and 1.0

I do and would love to check that out (I am terrible with spreadsheet formulas and basically have no clue what all that means). Can you share the doc so I can see it in action? ian [an at sign] colorcrate [a dot] com

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

kedo posted:

I do and would love to check that out (I am terrible with spreadsheet formulas and basically have no clue what all that means). Can you share the doc so I can see it in action? ian [an at sign] colorcrate [a dot] com

I shared it with you. Feel free to email or gchat me if you have any questions.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ayo is there an equivalent to Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain/Loomis books for painting? I may finally have space to paint seriously for the first time ever in august. Oil, acrylics, watercolor, whatever. Lay em on me.

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011
What's the best way to say my dick looks like a potato in this short story i'm writing?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

stupid newbie 003 posted:

my dick looks like a potato

e: Or maybe just potatodick.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

You know how Hemingway would say his dick looks like a potato?

His dick looks like a potato.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Just look up how they handled it in the old Spud Johnson series

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
My dick is lumpy, brown, dirty, smells like earth, and sprouting little white nubs. In short, my cock is a potato. Every time I look at it, I have to fight the urge to peel it.

Or just go simple:

I got a tater dick.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'm working on a DVD cover design, and they say they need some kind of "small parental advisory logo".

Now, when I think of a parental advisory logo, I think of that black & white sticker that used to be on CDs in the 90s. But that's for music, what should I do in this case for a DVD cover? Come up with something original, or just stick with the classic? Or do I need to get permission to use the well-known one?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

triplexpac posted:

I'm working on a DVD cover design, and they say they need some kind of "small parental advisory logo".

Now, when I think of a parental advisory logo, I think of that black & white sticker that used to be on CDs in the 90s. But that's for music, what should I do in this case for a DVD cover? Come up with something original, or just stick with the classic? Or do I need to get permission to use the well-known one?

You should let them know that their lawyers should check out http://www.riaa.com/toolsforparents.php?content_selector=parental_advisory if they want the standard B&W logo. If they say "yeah, go for it" but haven't supplied an actual file for you to use, you can grab an SVG from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Parental_Advisory_label.svg.

The page that the SVG is on states it's in the public domain, but I wouldn't trust that on its own since H&R Block can go after you if you use the wrong shade of green with something financial-related. I doubt it's trademarked (since there's not actually a TM on there), but with the record giants, who knows what they will do with something that technically involves IP rights. Having the email chain of you asking about using the specific file and them saying "yes" should be good enough to CYA, at least.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Thanks, that's a big help! I'm going to toss it back to the client side, tell them that if they want to use the actual logo get their lawyers to figure it out. Otherwise I'll just put an original "don't let kids watch this" message on there somewhere.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My friend totally not me :ninja: is kinda dumb and painted with oils for the first time. He's not dumb for painting with oils, but for not knowing what to do afterwards. I had suggested that he actually needs to varnish it to make it stop being wet because I'm dumb too. He hasn't taken my advice yet.

So, how long should he give the painting to let it dry? He hasn't done anything yet besides leaving it in his room. with the A/C on. It is on canvas, but I can't tell you what brand it is, if that matters.

Duck Party
Feb 26, 2013

There ain't no Party like a Duck Party
With oils you should generally always be mixing a medium into your paint. Oil medium is any mixture of oil (linseed or walnut), mineral spirits (turpentine), and varnish. The varnish will help the oil dry and the mineral spirits will evaporate out of the paint. having a varnish in your medium will make it generally very toxic, and smell really bad. Some premixed varieties aren't as stinky, but you can also just work with straight oil or oil and mineral spirits mix and add a couple drops of a drying agent. I used cobalt dryer but there are others, read instruction and do not touch the pure stuff, its all kinds of deadly toxic.

Now because your friend obviously did not paint with a dryer, its going to take a really really long time to dry on its own. Some colours will dry faster then others based on the chemical properties of the pigments. I would not suggest varnishing it the paint can smear (spray varnish may work if it doesn't get all runny). You can get spray on drying agents, but it will only penetrate so far into the paint, so if the paint is thick it may not work so well. Well ventilated room or outside is a must cause you don't want to breath in drying agents.

Dryers and mediums are usually sold right beside the the oil paint in the art supply store, though you can get cheapo construction quality linseed oil from the hardware store.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
This is probably a stupid question. I studied textiles and fibers in college and I'm looking at some related positions. I have a lot of experience with textile design but no actual portfolio of designs, just a couple of left-over finished products.

I'm not sure the best way to go about building my portfolio up. Personally, I always did initial designs with gouache and didn't use the computer too much, which I know isn't the popular way to do things anymore. Is it worth getting all the initial designs made into samples? I didn't have any intentions of going into textile design in college, so I'm pretty unfamiliar with the portfolio process.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

BirdOfPlay posted:

My friend totally not me :ninja: is kinda dumb and painted with oils for the first time. He's not dumb for painting with oils, but for not knowing what to do afterwards. I had suggested that he actually needs to varnish it to make it stop being wet because I'm dumb too. He hasn't taken my advice yet.

So, how long should he give the painting to let it dry? He hasn't done anything yet besides leaving it in his room. with the A/C on. It is on canvas, but I can't tell you what brand it is, if that matters.

The finishing varnish should be added when the painting is completely dry - depending of the paint, it can take a very very long time, weeks or months even.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
A question for anyone with background in filmmaking. I'm a big fan of 16mm film, having a collection of old short films in that format, and even shot some stuff with a 16mm camera.

Anyway, I'm hoping to upgrade to Super 16mm someday. I'm eyeing on Bolex, which I hear is pretty good. I want to use it to shoot animation, so...

Anyone have experience with using Bolex? What's the best price I can get for the Super 16mm compatible camera?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Probably a dumb question but does anybody ever get depressed when drawing sometimes? I was a complete downer while I was drawing yesterday. Has anyone ever had a similar problem?

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Photoshop/Illustrator question: I downloaded a program over a year ago that enabled me to make seamless tessellations in any of the 17 wallpaper groups. The computer I did my work on is now deceased and I cannot track down the program for the life of me. I know it was free, it ran through Photoshop and/or Illustrator, and it was easy enough to pick up and experiment with (short learning curve, step by step instructions). Here are two tiles I built using the program, for reference:

(here I took a screenshot, the main body of work is completed within that triangle which is then repeated throughout the canvas)

Googling any number of keywords or phrases has been a crapshoot, surely some of you know the program specifically?

scarycave posted:

Probably a dumb question but does anybody ever get depressed when drawing sometimes? I was a complete downer while I was drawing yesterday. Has anyone ever had a similar problem?

I sometimes get depressed during the course of my work, usually due to feelings of inadequacy. I often feel that I'm not as far along in my skill set as I should or would like to be. Your situation might be similar, or you might have other things to be depressed over that you only start to comprehend during a tedious exercise (drawing).

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Shot in the dark - http://vectips.com/tutorials/amazing-free-seamless-pattern-generator-templates-for-illustrator/

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Wow, thanks friend. That is spot on.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Does Photoshop have a function to resize an image to a target file size? The save for web feature lets you target a file size but it adjusts the compression quality to achieve it.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

There are so many different ways to achieve a certain file size that any tool that did so would be just as complicated as the file size dialog, probably.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I don't think it would need to be complicated and frankly being complicated would not be a problem. I suppose it can't be done, though.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

What's a good the best resource for poses? I am incapable of drawing anything that remotely resembles a human without a model, but there seem to be roughly eleventy billion pose sites on the internet.

I'm willing to pay a little bit of money if it's worth it, but would prefer a free resource.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I have had this site bookmarked for a really long time and it has a pretty exhaustive collection of poses: http://www.posemaniacs.com/

un1d3f
May 7, 2013

by T. Finninho
I got ripped off by comedy central real bad... I sent them a dozen or so pilots and movies along with hundreds of show pitches and movie pitches and they refuse to even let me talk to them on the phone... what do I do?

unidefshizzle def drizzle

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

un1d3f posted:

I got ripped off by comedy central real bad... I sent them a dozen or so pilots and movies along with hundreds of show pitches and movie pitches and they refuse to even let me talk to them on the phone... what do I do?

unidefshizzle def drizzle

Wait, so you just sent them a bunch of stuff out of the blue and they're not replying to you... and you think that means you're getting ripped off?

Maybe you should quit stalking comedy central.

e:

Corla Plankun posted:

I have had this site bookmarked for a really long time and it has a pretty exhaustive collection of poses: http://www.posemaniacs.com/

By the way, thanks!

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Usually places like that have notices on their site saying they do not accept unsolicited material and won't even read it, that way they somewhat cover their asses legally.

But this is probably just us being trolled or something, dumb question.