Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Dr. Doom saying fear is for lesser men is a great bit of dialog and characterization. Easily one of my favorite characters when written with complexity than cartoon villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Solomonic posted:

In the absence of context I like to think "Stand aside, Gretchen" was Doom being incredibly immature and addressing Shroud.

I assume Doom was out on a date with Gretchen, and the Shroud just showed up to crash it.

Ghost Who Walks
Jul 15, 2005

High Five.
Bangalla style.
That is a point. Is it established what Doom's views on Magneto are? That panel seems to imply some respect.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ghost Who Walks posted:

That is a point. Is it established what Doom's views on Magneto are? That panel seems to imply some respect.

I know he nearly crushed this little orphaned kid he viewed as a protege for suggesting Magneto was his equal once.

DOOM HAS NO EQUAL!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Lurdiak posted:

I know he nearly crushed this little orphaned kid he viewed as a protege for suggesting Magneto was his equal once.

DOOM HAS NO EQUAL!

He has a soft spot for Namor though. Or a possible dude crush:

(Sub-Mariner v1 #49)

Personally I think they're cute together.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 18, 2013

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

DarkCrawler posted:

He has a soft spot for Namor though. Or a possible dude crush:

(Sub-Mariner v1 #49)

Personally I think they're cute together.

Who was the writer on this?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Who was the writer on this?

Gerry Conway

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I remember when all the mystery around "Joseph" was happening, letter writers kept saying,"Please don't make him a clone, we don't want another Spider-Man clone-saga!" and Marvel's response was always,"Don't worry, he's not a clone!"

Then when the reveal finally came, it turns out he's a clone, and Joseph says,"So I'm a clone?" and whoever it was who cloned him says to the clone,"Nah, that's simplifying it, you're actually much more complicated than that really just don't ask me to explain how."

Metal Loaf posted:

I assume Doom was out on a date with Gretchen, and the Shroud just showed up to crash it.

Sadly from what I read, it seems Doom was a bit pissed off at the fact that Latverians now feared him instead of loving him, so decides to teach them a lesson by randomly kicking in some peasant's door (the peasants are upset but not surprised, it seems Doom does this fairly frequently) and declaring he's come to screw the guy's daughter as is his right as Monarch. I assume that doesn't happen in the end, but I guess the writers liked to remind us all every so often that Doom is supposed to be a bad guy and bad guys do stuff like that, right?

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
No clue on the source, but holy poo poo:

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???
I know this is a little late to the Taskmaster party but this is a page from Initiative #13, one of my favorite comics ever.

I'm also tempted to post the last two pages of the comic but I'm torn as to whether they'd go in this thread or the Touching Moments thread.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Majuju posted:

Doctor Doom is my favourite character. These two pages were one of my first posts on SA, but for posterity:

One of my favorite Doom moments isn't actually a Doom moment. There's a scene in DOOM 2099 where he shotguns a guard while simultaneously apologizing for having to kill him in such a crude, non-Doom fashion as his armor is currently damaged.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

thatinfernalpigeon posted:

I know this is a little late to the Taskmaster party but this is a page from Initiative #13, one of my favorite comics ever.

Kid's got a point. :colbert:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FredMSloniker posted:

Kid's got a point. :colbert:

Well, he can point out the flaw in your execution and what you need to do differently. "I'm going to shoot an arrow like Hawkeye, now I'm going to shoot an arrow like you, can you see the difference?"

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Dude has decades of teaching experience. He probably got them from watching and rewatching Coach Carter or something, but that's not the point.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm also tempted to post the last two pages of the comic but I'm torn as to whether they'd go in this thread or the Touching Moments thread.

Hey is one of the trainees one of the guys who found the old Spider-Man costumes from back when Spider-Man started being four different super-heroes at a time to avoid the baggage of being Spider-Man?

I can't believe I just wrote that sentence.

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013
He's been teaching AIM and HYDRA goons how to fight for years! Of course, none of those guys are actually any good...

Man, maybe that's Taskmaster's whole racket, selling his training schemes on his reputation while actually having no idea how to impart those skills into others, like some dodgy supervillainous pyramid scheme.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jerusalem posted:

Hey is one of the trainees one of the guys who found the old Spider-Man costumes from back when Spider-Man started being four different super-heroes at a time to avoid the baggage of being Spider-Man?

I can't believe I just wrote that sentence.

Yes, but if you like that character, don't go thinking it's worth reading Avengers: The Initiative just because he's in it.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

WordMercenary posted:

He's been teaching AIM and HYDRA goons how to fight for years! Of course, none of those guys are actually any good...

Man, maybe that's Taskmaster's whole racket, selling his training schemes on his reputation while actually having no idea how to impart those skills into others, like some dodgy supervillainous pyramid scheme.

That makes a lot of sense and fits with the Marvelverse.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

WordMercenary posted:

I prefer to imagine just how terrible those goons would be if they didn't get Taskmaster's training.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

You started it here, finish it here. :colbert:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Metal Loaf posted:

Nope, it's canon now that Doom was referring to the Shroud as "Gretchen". Also canon is that Doom will be portrayed by John C McGinley in all comics, it's why he cares so little for Hugh Jackman.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Fat Cobra can't remember his past because of all the partying, so he got a biography written. He gets to the part where he begins winning all his battles. I think someone posted the eating contest recently, but I liked the entire sequence.

Immortal Weapons #1

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Double Post! Fat Cobra is skilled at fighting...

...and loving.

Immortal Weapons #1

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

And here's how it began:

Twelve words and we know:
  • He does not take orders from easily-pushed people.

• He goes where he pleases.

• He is a doctor.

• He has a flare for the theatrical.

• He rules his own country.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Lurdiak posted:

Yes, but if you like that character, don't go thinking it's worth reading Avengers: The Initiative just because he's in it.

No, but his scene in Civil War definitely was worth the price of admission. Basically getting publicly smashed and calling Stark out on the hypocrisy of fighting Captain America when concepts like Justice and Liberty are on the line, but mostly about being pissed off about either registering, having his civilian ID publicly known, thus defeating the whole purpose of a secret identity in the first place. I was hoping to see "I'm With Prodigy" T shirts appear on characters after that.

Lars Blitzer fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 19, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mr. Maltose posted:

Dude has decades of teaching experience. He probably got them from watching and rewatching Coach Carter or something, but that's not the point.

And now I read all of Dr. Doom's dialogue in the voice of Craig T. Nelson. Thanks Maltose.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mimir posted:

Twelve words and we know:
  • He does not take orders from easily-pushed people.

• He goes where he pleases.

• He is a doctor.

• He has a flare for the theatrical.

• He rules his own country.

Is this before of after he wears Hulk sweaters?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gatts posted:

Dr. Doom saying fear is for lesser men is a great bit of dialog and characterization. Easily one of my favorite characters when written with complexity than cartoon villain.

Doom is great because he is the platonic cartoon villain. Embrace it.

E the Shaggy posted:

No clue on the source, but holy poo poo:

That's the Star Jaws issues of Spidey Super Stories.

And have some bonus Spidey Super Stories from issue 56.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

Oh come on just because....

Oh. There's some solid Taskmaster explains it all though:

E: Initiative #35 and #31 respectively, whoops.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 19, 2013

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
That's some good villain writing. No "take over the world" stuff.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Gatts posted:

If you like that, you absolutely must read the Dr. Doom/Dr. Strange crossover "Triumph and Torment". It's easily the best Doom characterization ever made.

It also has the original line that that panel is riffing on: "Pain? Pain is like love... like compassion! It is a thing only for lesser men. What is pain to Doom?"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I remember seeing this guy's stuff on here before.

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Little-Ironman-379015900

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

As long as we're still on Taskmaster.

Agent X #6

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
please, post more taskmaster. I don't think we can get enough taskmaster in here.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Glad you asked the question of what makes Taskmaster qualified to teach people.

That was alreayd addressed by the late, Great Mark Gruenwald in Captain America #334, when USA Agent AKA Johnny Walker AKA Jack Daniels was being taught to replace Steve Rogers.

So yeah his skills can be used to teach people.

Now, speaking of Mark Gruenwald's Cap run, let's get onto some more of the funny parts.

A lot has been spoken about the infamous Cap-Wolf storyline. And yeah, it's fairly 90's. And Bizarre. Basically Dr. Druid and Captain America go to a town full of Werewolves and fight a guy called Moonhunter. And Star Wolf. And a mind controlled Wolverine. Then Cable and Shatterstar show up, because Feral from X-Force was there.

Also the art was....bad.

How bad?

This bad.

Oh well, here let's have a picture of Cap threatening Crossbones. It should be noted what sounds like a ridiculous threat, given who it's coming from and all the Skeleton themed villains he has fought, has some weight.

From Captain America #410.

That's enough for now.

Next issue: The Red Skull shows that he was into BDSM way before it became main stream. 50 Shades of Red Skull.)

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
More Taskmaster you say?

Daken: Dark Wolverine #12

And later...

If you like Taskmaster, DO NOT read Deadpool MAX.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

This is the third-weirdest Zardoz spinoff I've ever seen!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mister Roboto posted:

That's some good villain writing. No "take over the world" stuff.

After that he goes and hangs out with Osborn, almost dies, almost gets murdered afterwards by Osborn again, and takes entirely the wrong message from that:

Initiative #32

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
http://www.armagideon-time.com/?p=4411

• Locked thread