Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, so for sections, we have:
1) Standard Catholic
2) Byzantine
3) Muslim
4) Republic
5) Pagans

Missing anything?

Zoroastrians. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

...but how? :psyduck:

Hover over her and see if it shows her lover.
I don't understand why the tooltip shows that frankly. :psyduck:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Broken Cog posted:

This happening over and over was the exact reason I gave up trying to play as Mali.

The only tip I could give you is to try and assassinate the leader of the Sultanate north of you to trigger a civil war, and gobble your way upwards during that.

Your only long-term defense is your swarms of African desert ninjas. You can't just murder Moroccans and hope for the best, you need to stop the Umayyad blob before it escapes containment. With intermittent dead Moroccans so they don't actually kill you before the Catholics or some other cataclysm take out the doomsday device in Cordoba.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

1) Standard Catholic
2) Byzantine
3) Muslim
4) Republic
5) Pagans

Missing anything?

Zoroastrians like one other dude said, and Vikings and Tengri play so differently than the defensive Pagans that it might be good to split those up too.

EDIT: It may be good to also have a game as Catholics where they start as a vassal rather than an independent, just to show off how the dynamics change.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Spiderfist Island posted:

Zoroastrians like one other dude said, and Vikings and Tengri play so differently than the defensive Pagans that it might be good to split those up too.
I was figuring whoever did Pagans would do them as Vikings. We don't have to hit everything, just all the unique playstyles and how to get started as each. So, revised:

1) Standard Catholic
2) Byzantine
3) Muslim
4) Republic
5) Pagan Vikings
6) Zoroastrian

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader
I feel like I'm playing some kind of bizarro version of crusader kings based on everyone else's reports here. Am I the only one whose world map has gone maximum christian? I've played up to the year 1150 or so. The norse conquered the british isles and formed a Britannia including those plus all of norway, then converted to catholicism. A reasonably historical catholic france exists and is even somehow ruled by the Capet dynasty (was amazed to see that when I randomly checked them around 1080). East of that is the holy roman empire which basically controls all of the germanic lands north of italy. And to the east of that there is a huge catholic kingdom of Ruthenia. There was a reasonably complete kingdom of Italy before I started taking chunks out of it as Croatia.

The Asturias did the reconquista in record time and have completely pushed the muslims out of Iberia, and formed the empire of Hispania for good measure. Byzantium is sitting on basically it's original borders if not slightly expanded, and northern africa is dominated by the two Berber Catholic kingdoms of Africa and Mauritania. Basically all the Muslims have is Arabia and Russia, and the pagans only have Sweden.

Of course now I have the problem that my reasonably succesful Croatia is surrounded on all sides by huge christian powers which is making my life really really difficult, but I figure this is better than being surrounded by angry Muslims.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think before The Republic whenever I played I would see the Christians in Spain getting their poo poo kicked in and I would eventually have to do some holy warring to check the Muslim advance.

I've played several games recently and now not only do the Spanish Christians pull off a pretty rapid reconquista, their Kingdoms have always merged into Castille. I don't know whether the AI is being really canny with marriages or whether everyone's just playing for keeps.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Minor Sonendar update:

Kingdoms of the Reichsmarch

The Reichsmarch used to form an empire that dominated most of West-Central Sonendar, in the lands surrounding Lake Sonendar. In former times, the Reichsmarch was an empire whose power rivaled that of the Yuan Empire in the East. It comprised primarily of four kingdoms: the Nordmark, the Easterreich, the Westerreich, Zührenheim, and had for a brief time even forced the Merchant King of Rozha to bow the knee as a vassal.

After the Nord invasions and the economic disruptions caused by the First Great Age of Piracy, the Reichsmarch suffered a succession crisis and broke up into the four original kingdoms from which it had emerged. The areas worst affected was the Nordmark, which simply ceased to exist and broke up into a chaotic realm squabbled over by petty Nord chieftains.

As a king of the Reichsmarch, you may have ambitions to reconquer the land and rebuild the former Empire. If you have Nord, Westermarker, or Eastermarker culture, you will be able to take a special ambition: Unite the Reichsmarch. As long as you have the ambition, you will gain the ability to wage a war of subjugation over all de jure members of the Empire of the Reichsmarch.

I've also fleshed out the dynasties of most of the Western Sonendar kings, so that they will be a bit less prone to dissolution and succession crises. The exception to this is the Kingdom of Bregnac, whose rulers I've purposefully designed to be in an unstable and contentious state.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 19, 2013

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

CapnAndy posted:

1) Standard Catholic
2) Byzantine
3) Muslim
4) Republic
5) Pagans

Missing anything?

Muslim Republics aka own all of the holdings, all of them, and then murder all of your sons to avoid decadence invasions. It's a weird game.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Has vanilla fixed the thing where you would get decadence for family members outside your realm?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
How come I can't build trade posts as Amalfi at the 867 start? Tech not high enough?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
uh so I bumbled into my first kingdom - Bohemia. My brother kicked the bucket and his duchies plus my counties(and his inherited treasury!) let me form it, thanks bro!

First thing that happened to me was a rebellion from a noble with 2 counties, he was plotting so I tried to imprison him but failed. Now I've crushed his rebellion and he sits in my dungeon. I figure he's acted like a dickhead so I should revoke a title being king and all that, but I can not. It says that the HRE laws prohibit me, but on the laws screen the crown authority is Autonomous Vasals(I assume that is lowest level possible). It does look like the emperor is in the middle of trying to change the authority.

e:uh oh I may have accidentally supported the HRE emperor's bid to raise crown authority to 'limited'. Is it possible to change my vote? I was a new king without proper legal counsel and didn't know what I was signing!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=153834543

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 19, 2013

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
(re invader tags not actually invading in CK2+)

Flippycunt posted:

I know there was a vanilla bug that made this happen in the 1.10 patch with certain hordes (happened to me with the Aztecs). I couldn't figure out how to fix it, and I assumed Paradox took care of it. I dunno man.

I actually fixed this (well, the Paradox forums gave me the idea) - the problem is that the CK2+ Tribal Invasion CB requires you to neighbour the target or have a province in the same de jure kingdom, so when event invaders who don't have any land try to use it, it sputters and fails. Answer here is to either a) auto-give the event invaders a territory (which the forums suggested to that guy doing CK2+ bugfixes while Wiz is on vacation) or stick an exception in the tribal invasion CB (similar to the exception for landless mercenaries) allowing landless invader tags to use it.

I did the latter on my copy since I kinda hate the auto-gifting land mechanic, and now the Seljuks arrive and attack as normal.

...oh god what have I done.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

(re invader tags not actually invading in CK2+)

I actually fixed this (well, the Paradox forums gave me the idea) - the problem is that the CK2+ Tribal Invasion CB requires you to neighbour the target or have a province in the same de jure kingdom, so when event invaders who don't have any land try to use it, it sputters and fails. Answer here is to either a) auto-give the event invaders a territory (which the forums suggested to that guy doing CK2+ bugfixes while Wiz is on vacation) or stick an exception in the tribal invasion CB (similar to the exception for landless mercenaries) allowing landless invader tags to use it.

I did the latter on my copy since I kinda hate the auto-gifting land mechanic, and now the Seljuks arrive and attack as normal.

...oh god what have I done.

Ahhh so this is why the Seljuks never showed up. Oh well, I don't mind them not appearing really.

Still, I'd like the Mongols to crop up eventually. Would you mind pasting precisely what you changed in the files to fix it? I'm not good at fixing up CK2, even changing flags and things gives me trouble.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Sure, just drop this file into mod/CK2Plus/common/cb_types to replace the one that's already there.

(for those who care, the code I added is at lines 1670-1679)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/pllrp7

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

A purely fluff question: What would CK2+'s Outremer culture actually look like, and what would they speak? I always had it in my head that the Outremer language would be derived more from Old French than anything else, and mix in a confusingly high amount of Italian, Arabic and maybe Greek vocabulary, but beyond that I haven't the foggiest clue.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Haha, gently caress. In my Byzantine game, my greedy regents decided that they wanted to own some of my titles. I've never seen that before. When I died though, my heir didn't have claim to the remaining title the last regent took, so I took a tyranny hit, which seems bullshit.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Ofaloaf posted:

A purely fluff question: What would CK2+'s Outremer culture actually look like, and what would they speak? I always had it in my head that the Outremer language would be derived more from Old French than anything else, and mix in a confusingly high amount of Italian, Arabic and maybe Greek vocabulary, but beyond that I haven't the foggiest clue.

I'd imagine they would speak whatever the language was of whomever the Pope gifted the Kingdom of Jerusalem too with influences from Arabic. I wonder if it would be a regional dialect of the conquering people too, assuming say an Occitan Duke won the crusade over, say, a Norman.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I'd imagine they would speak whatever the language was of whomever the Pope gifted the Kingdom of Jerusalem too with influences from Arabic. I wonder if it would be a regional dialect of the conquering people too, assuming say an Occitan Duke won the crusade over, say, a Norman.
The Outremer culture events even turn someone like Gottfried von Habsburg into Jaufré de Habsbourg*, though-- in-game, the Outremer names are predominantly French-y, and the toponymic surnames are all "de [Place]". That seems to imply that even if the Kingdom of Jerusalem is won by a Norwegian, the influx of Frankish knights and Italian mariners quickly turns the ruling class into something culturally Romantic.

*Cultural localisations for dynastic names would be rad as gently caress.

Fardels Bear
Oct 27, 2006

Lookit me flash, boss.
Anyone else have their son come back from Mikelgaard like this?

Fardels Bear fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 19, 2013

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Fardels Bear posted:

Yep, more than I've had the good outcomes.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Top Hats Monthly posted:

How come I can't build trade posts as Amalfi at the 867 start? Tech not high enough?

Yeah, you need to get Trade Practices up to level 2 asap. Level 1 gives you a -100% bonus, level 2 is only a -50% bonus, and then level 3 gives you a 0% modifier to your trade posts. Every level after that gives a +10% bonus, so if you finally make it to level 8 you'll have a +50% modifier to your trade post limit.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Dallan Invictus posted:

Sure, just drop this file into mod/CK2Plus/common/cb_types to replace the one that's already there.

(for those who care, the code I added is at lines 1670-1679)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/pllrp7

Thanks man.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Fardels Bear posted:

At least he's not gay! :v:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Fardels Bear posted:

My son came "back" dead after being killed in personal combat so frankly I consider myself lucky. :v:

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I want to start as the Magyars and conquer Hungary, but that beginning war is impossible to win against Bulgeria. Help?

Hungary is my favorite country ever.Does anyone know why their language is so weird compared to other euro languages?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fardels Bear posted:

Greek love isn't for everyone. One moment of lapsed concentration, and BAM!

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

WYA posted:

I want to start as the Magyars and conquer Hungary, but that beginning war is impossible to win against Bulgeria. Help?

Hungary is my favorite country ever.Does anyone know why their language is so weird compared to other euro languages?

Hungarian is a Uralic language, quite different from the Indo-European languages that are most common in... well, Europe. It's not the only one, though, Finnish and Estonian are the two other big examples.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Raserys posted:

Hungarian is a Uralic language, quite different from the Indo-European languages that are most common in... well, Europe. It's not the only one, though, Finnish and Estonian are the two other big examples.

I went to Budapest last month and whenever someone spoke Hungarian it sounded made up, like a baby babbling, or running water. It was pretty adorable. Now I am in love with the Magyar and want to bring them to their homeland in CK2. Is it possible to win that first battle against the Bulgarians?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Ofaloaf posted:

The Outremer culture events even turn someone like Gottfried von Habsburg into Jaufré de Habsbourg*, though-- in-game, the Outremer names are predominantly French-y, and the toponymic surnames are all "de [Place]". That seems to imply that even if the Kingdom of Jerusalem is won by a Norwegian, the influx of Frankish knights and Italian mariners quickly turns the ruling class into something culturally Romantic.

*Cultural localisations for dynastic names would be rad as gently caress.

Huh! I didn't know the game did that! I fell in love with Islam a few patches back and haven't played as a catholic (or really taken the time to look at how Outremer Jerusalem was going). I absolutely agree with you, then, that the change in language must reflect an immigration shift from France. Shame that it always has to be a French Outremer, but at the end of the day ck2 is a video game and not a totally sweet medieval sociological simulation like I'd love it to be. Maybe that will change in 10 years once ck5 is out!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

WYA posted:

Really? I've yet to have a problem with it (in Vanilla, anyways). My advice is to rush. Rush like a motherfucker. You start off with a big ol' stack of bonus troops; capture a few territories and then with a few battle victories you ought to be at 100% warscore in short order.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
For Magyars be sure just to win the main holding and move on. It is all you need to get all the holdings.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

BillBear posted:

The only poo poo thing DLCs added is probably decadence for the Muslim rulers. Really wish they would remove it or improve on it.

It's extremely easy to remove Decandence yourself. Go into the defines.lua file and edit this part:

code:
NDecadence = {
	BASE_EMPEROR_GAIN = 0.1,
	BASE_KING_GAIN = 0.08,
	BASE_DUKE_GAIN = 0.06,
	BASE_COUNT_GAIN = 0.04,
	BASE_BARON_GAIN = 0.02,
	BASE_UNLANDED_GAIN = 0.01,
	EMPEROR_HOLDING_REDUCTION = -0.1,
	KING_HOLDING_REDUCTION = -0.08,
	DUKE_HOLDING_REDUCTION = -0.06,
	COUNT_HOLDING_REDUCTION = -0.04,
	BARON_HOLDING_REDUCTION = -0.02,
	HAS_JOB_REDUCTION = -0.2,
	ON_JOB_REDUCTION = -0.2,
	REALM_SIZE_MULTIPLIER = 0.005,
	DEMESNE_FRACTION_MULT_POS = 0.5,
	DEMESNE_FRACTION_MULT_NEG = -0.8,
}, 
Just change all the GAINs to 0 and all the reductions to like -1 or -10 if you want and presto, you will only be able to gain decadence from events and if you do it will burn off instantly.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

TjyvTompa posted:

It's extremely easy to remove Decandence yourself. Go into the defines.lua file and edit this part:

code:
NDecadence = {
	BASE_EMPEROR_GAIN = 0.1,
	BASE_KING_GAIN = 0.08,
	BASE_DUKE_GAIN = 0.06,
	BASE_COUNT_GAIN = 0.04,
	BASE_BARON_GAIN = 0.02,
	BASE_UNLANDED_GAIN = 0.01,
	EMPEROR_HOLDING_REDUCTION = -0.1,
	KING_HOLDING_REDUCTION = -0.08,
	DUKE_HOLDING_REDUCTION = -0.06,
	COUNT_HOLDING_REDUCTION = -0.04,
	BARON_HOLDING_REDUCTION = -0.02,
	HAS_JOB_REDUCTION = -0.2,
	ON_JOB_REDUCTION = -0.2,
	REALM_SIZE_MULTIPLIER = 0.005,
	DEMESNE_FRACTION_MULT_POS = 0.5,
	DEMESNE_FRACTION_MULT_NEG = -0.8,
}, 
Just change all the GAINs to 0 and all the reductions to like -1 or -10 if you want and presto, you will only be able to gain decadence from events and if you do it will burn off instantly.

I like CK2+'s take on decadence, though it also changes a lot of other stuff not all of which I agree with. I'm thinking about using the above edit then putting decadence_events.txt from it into my mod folder to get the new system without the baggage, any idea if that would work?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

WYA posted:

I didn't really have a problem with it. In fact, I had the opposite problem, where it was way too easy to curbstomp all of Europe.

That's me, the biggest nation in the world, holding both Romes by the time the 900's have started. I'm actually a bit smaller than I was under Arpad himself, thanks to granting independence to large christian factions.

In the war itself, only focus on the actual land you want to grab, and raise your initial levies.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I'd be very interested to see those specific tutorials. I recently bought all the DLC, and while I'm not a complete idiot playing a Christian nation anymore, all the new nuances from Republics and Muslims etc. are pretty hard to understand.
So I'm looking forward to those LPs! Maybe be careful and not get too specific though.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I'm playing as the Trade Republic of Jerusalem under the Roman empire. I must say Orthodox is the most boring religion after mending the Shism.

Lately I gave my son another Kingdom level republic and this happened:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Rejected Fate posted:

Have to wait for 3 months to elapse after the Old Gods release because of LP rules.

Does Dev permission allow you to LP earlier? Cause if so I entirely endorse a tutorial LP.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Does Dev permission allow you to LP earlier? Cause if so I entirely endorse a tutorial LP.

It does for indie titles... I'm not really sure if you guys count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Rejected Fate posted:

Have to wait for 3 months to elapse after the Old Gods release because of LP rules.

Surely that's for spoiler purposes.

• Locked thread