Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
That was some pretty...(WEIIIIIIIRD) galaxy running there.

Seriously I dunno why that was so funny to me. Also loving goddammit piece of poo poo boxes YOU loving LAZY-rear end GEARMO :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Is it sad that I, too, was waiting for a Face Jam opening? :shobon:

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
I love the space-folding star. Definitely one of the cooler ghost galaxies.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
Where's the mushroom that turns mario into a photo-realistic lou albano?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
No, I'm sorry, that Fire Flower theme is absolutely god awful. Give me more whimsical classical themes or up-beat rhythms, not...weird chipmunk party music.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I like how all the power ups that are exclusive to the Galaxy series get almost no response from Lubba but a fire flower is absolutely amazing to him.

Enormatron
Dec 22, 2009

FinalGamer posted:

Also loving goddammit piece of poo poo boxes YOU loving LAZY-rear end GEARMO :argh:

It was a welcome change after a similar minigame in the first Galaxy, where in a couple levels Gearmo made you blow up garbage with bombs. The one in Galaxy 2 isn't the best minigame ever but at least the fireballs are easy to control.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

It fills me with so much joy whenever someone asks if we'll be playing as Luigi and Diabetus quietly says "nothing but".

Ropnolc
Mar 7, 2013
Gearmo will always welcome you to the no fun zone. :unsmigghh:
I never even got why he was in such a hurry to have the boxes busted anyway.
Maybe that was actually his job and he wanted to ask any schmuck that came by to do it for him while his coworkers weren't looking.

By the way I thought fanart of mario smashing a start was mandatory after that video so here it is.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Ropnolc posted:

Gearmo will always welcome you to the no fun zone. :unsmigghh:
I never even got why he was in such a hurry to have the boxes busted anyway.
Maybe that was actually his job and he wanted to ask any schmuck that came by to do it for him while his coworkers weren't looking.

By the way I thought fanart of mario smashing a start was mandatory after that video so here it is.

Oh man, it's like he's channeling Raiden there. :allears:

Gearmo's minigames are irritating, but it's not rubble/bomb explosion like in the first game, so eh.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Running around on a crescent moon that seesaws back and forth should not be so entertaining, but oh how it is.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

With the possible exception of Luigi's purple coins in the toy galaxy (SMG1 has become so irrelevant that I can't even get the galaxy names from it right anymore), the Gearmo trash bombing stars are the most infuriating in the game. Props to Nintendo for improving on it in SMG2.

Since the "Prankster Comet appears" cutscene doesn't show up after you finish a Bowser Jr./Bowser level, I checked previous worlds for comets after completing World 4. Turns out my favorite comet star is available.

Diabetus
Jul 5, 2004
(thanks Phiggle!)

:mario: Part XXIV - Slipsand Galaxy, Fleet Glide Galaxy :mario:

Baldurdash / YouTube
(guests: Phiggle & Dectilon)

:toot: Soundtrack :toot:
- Slipsand Galaxy theme
- Fleet Glide Galaxy theme

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I love how many spiral arm galaxies are in the background of world 5.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski
Mario punched things in Super Mario RPG. I remember because punching was his default attack, and you had to spend Whatever Points in order to jump. Between that and the isometric perspective I turned that poo poo off real quick.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME posted:

Mario punched things in Super Mario RPG. I remember because punching was his default attack, and you had to spend Whatever Points in order to jump. Between that and the isometric perspective I turned that poo poo off real quick.

Well that's just a terrible decision.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski
I can't loving stand isometric games, don't judge me :colbert:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
The isometric aspect isn't even a significant part of the game. It's sort of just there for the most part.

Terashell
Dec 19, 2007

Gaben-chan~

I am judging you so hard right now. Mario RPG is a nearly perfect SNES game.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Terashell posted:

I am judging you so hard right now. Mario RPG is a nearly perfect SNES game.

Yeah, not liking SMRPG because it's isometric is like not liking cute puppies because they're mammals.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Feinne posted:

Yeah, not liking SMRPG because it's isometric is like not liking cute puppies because they're mammals.

Everyone likes puppies until they throw up all over you.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Mario's ability to punch stuff actually appeared in Super Mario World, but he could only punch while he was climbing on a wire fence. :spergin:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Mario could punch in Super Mario 64, right? Just press B.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
God, I can't see how I had as much trouble as I did with that battleship Fluzzard stage. That was maddening.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

God, I can't see how I had as much trouble as I did with that battleship Fluzzard stage. That was maddening.

It is MUCH more difficult than the video makes it look.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

The Fluzzard controls are really the worst part about SMG2.
It's like the bird controls in Skyward Sword, only worse and those weren't good to begin with. Not being able to gain height and just slowing descending against a wall is frustrating and I hate how you have to angle the wiimote down to go really fast. :argh:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

It's cool, I can understand why certain visual styles can annoy the poo poo out of someone, I'm like that too. But I'm still going to judge you hypocritically for not liking Super Mario RPG :v:
Also, I now demand Diabetus since "Crash Into Me" at some point, that was wonderful :allears: and hey, Mario WAS a wrestler, remember the great portrayal of him by the great great Captain Lou Albano.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
Man, Squizzard's boss theme sure is great!

ZLF Aurora
May 4, 2012
Not sure if anyone else felt the same, but the Fluzzard segments reminded me of the glider segments from Ratchet And Clank (Either 2 or 3, I can't remember)

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Considering it's the Faceship, wouldn't keelhauling be more like a mustache ride? :staredog:

VainRobot
May 28, 2013

Mr DJB posted:

Man, Squizzard's boss theme sure is great!

I do actually kinda like how picking up the fire flower mixes the regular fire flower theme with the boss theme. Don't get me wrong, the fire flower music is still god awful, but I thought it was a neat touch.

Enormatron
Dec 22, 2009

ZLF Aurora posted:

Not sure if anyone else felt the same, but the Fluzzard segments reminded me of the glider segments from Ratchet And Clank (Either 2 or 3, I can't remember)

The glider was in 2, and it was brought back in Tools of Destruction for PS3. You flew it in the latter using the Sixaxis controls, and while it didn't control THAT well it was better than Fluzzard and the bird thing from Skyward Sword.

Now that I think of it, Jak and Sly also had hang gliders for some parts. I suppose things like that are fun in platform games, but they have yet to make them work well when you're using motion controls.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Enormatron posted:

You flew it in the latter using the Sixaxis controls, and while it didn't control THAT well it was better than Fluzzard and the bird thing from Skyward Sword.

Someone here never checked the options menu.

I don't mind the Fluzzard levels too much, there's only two in the game and neither is very long. And the second one has the advantage of both looking and sounding fantastic.

KKoserYaks
May 4, 2012

And what you call chaos is my beauty.
If you talk to Lubba while he has the star in his word bubble, he says something like "Oh, you have 77 stars. You're super lucky!"

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski
Has Diabetus gone in the chimney yet? It's not really worth doing, but it is something you can do!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, I asked for that in this post and he showed it off one or two updates after that, I think.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Superschaf posted:

The Fluzzard controls are really the worst part about SMG2.
I don't think that the Fluzzard rides are that bad, it just takes some getting used to. It's kinda fun overall.

Orb riding, however, can gently caress right off. We already saw it in Rolling Masterpiece Galaxy but there's at least one other galaxy where we see that horrible mechanic.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

I don't think that the Fluzzard rides are that bad, it just takes some getting used to. It's kinda fun overall.

Orb riding, however, can gently caress right off. We already saw it in Rolling Masterpiece Galaxy but there's at least one other galaxy where we see that horrible mechanic.

Nah ball riding is really fun. Maybe the Wii MotionPlus make it more responsive? But I aced each of them on the first try and had a lot of fun.

I finished getting all 120 stars today, so both are still fresh in my mind.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Edit: Scratch, I'm dumb. I don't think Galaxy 2 has any Motion+ features, but from the way the ball rolling mechanic works I don't think it would make any difference if it did.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I don't care if it's a great galaxy, you should never name anything "Squizzard's Sandy Sinkhole".

• Locked thread