Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012
That Q&A pretty much confirmed what reasonable people know already. Ragdoll battle animations are not final, there won't be capture points in every battle and the unit cards stay. TWC can finally stop having tantrums throwing all of their toys out of the crib. For now.

The mention of baggage trains for armies cought in a forced march sounds cool though! How the hell am I supposed to wait until September third?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Space Wizard posted:

That Q&A pretty much confirmed what reasonable people know already. Ragdoll battle animations are not final, there won't be capture points in every battle and the unit cards stay. TWC can finally stop having tantrums throwing all of their toys out of the crib. For now.

The mention of baggage trains for armies cought in a forced march sounds cool though! How the hell am I supposed to wait until September third?

But Syracuse still won't have a siege map. :qq:

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
This is pretty drat cool.

quote:

Craig: We've decided to focus Rome II's multiplayer on the stuff that we know will deliver a great experience out of the box. You might have seen we've added in a couple of cool features. The one where you can select any co-ordinate on a map and jump into a land battle online which will be generated from there is pretty awesome.

You can then take those coordinates, so if you find a really cool battlefield based on an area of the world map you can share it with the rest of the community.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

quote:

Q: How cool are the Iceni?

The Iceni are extremely cool. In test, the first ever properly completed game of Total War: ROME II was accomplished by the Iceni by way of cultural victory.

Anyone else notice this or did I miss some info about cultural victories?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Odobenidae posted:

Sid Meier's Rome 2 Total War: Civilization

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Lord Tywin posted:

This is pretty drat cool.

This sounds like some marketing jibba jabba to me.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Seems the Avatar system won't be returning, ah what a shame.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Azran posted:

Seems the Avatar system won't be returning, ah what a shame.

Maybe we'll have it in that Multiplayer spin off?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Odobenidae posted:

The mechanics have not been explained yet, but economic and cultural victories are in and I'm hoping will be awesome. It will be badass to be able to carve out an empire and then become a mercantile powerhouse.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Seems like it'd be a step backwards if they didn't let you design how your general and your banners look in multiplayer fights. That map feature does sound really good though. Does it mean a potentially unlimited amount of maps or have they said that everywhere on the campaign map is already battle mapped out?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Trujillo posted:

Seems like it'd be a step backwards if they didn't let you design how your general and your banners look in multiplayer fights. That map feature does sound really good though. Does it mean a potentially unlimited amount of maps or have they said that everywhere on the campaign map is already battle mapped out?

The campaign map IS the battle map. The exception is sieges which have their own maps.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The campaign map IS the battle map. The exception is sieges which have their own maps.
Waht where'd you get that impression? The campaign and battle maps are still entirely different things.

I highly doubt they mapped out the entirety of the ancient world; it's probably going to be procedurally generated like Rome and Medieval 2 but hopefully better.

And they just said the Avatar Battle system isn't returning which could mean anything really; it could just be referring to there not being a multiplayer map thing to work through with unlocking units and all that poo poo. What with singleplayer customization being a big touted feature I highly doubt they'll remove it from the multiplayer.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 18, 2013

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Koramei posted:

Waht where'd you get that impression? The campaign and battle maps are still entirely different things.

I highly doubt they mapped out the entirety of the ancient world; it's probably going to be procedurally generated like Rome and Medieval 2 but hopefully better.

And they just said the Avatar Battle system isn't returning which could mean anything really; it could just be referring to there not being a multiplayer map thing to work through with unlocking units and all that poo poo. What with singleplayer customization being a big touted feature I highly doubt they'll remove it from the multiplayer.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...=1#post12887797

Unless I am misreading this, the campaign map is one big map where where you fight is based on what you see beforehand.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

WoodrowSkillson posted:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...=1#post12887797

Unless I am misreading this, the campaign map is one big map where where you fight is based on what you see beforehand.

Oh I see what you meant. I thought you were saying battles were fought on the campaign map :iiam:.

So I guess it'll differ from Rome and Med2 in that the campaign map isn't quite so much of an abstraction anymore, but we'll still probably find crazy procedurally generated nonsense sometimes. Which I did somewhat miss.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Maybe we'll have it in that Multiplayer spin off?

They said they'd be granting a "better persistent MP experience" in Arena, yeah. I just hope it's not a MOBA, because it's going to die under Dota 2 if that's the case.

Honestly, I only care about the banner/general customization. Vets were a nice idea, but random drops/unlocking base units could be a goddamn chore sometimes. They'll have my money as soon as I know they are keeping the aspect I mentioned.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Gamefly has a bunch of TW titles on sale right now. Shogun 2 and Shogun 2:FOTS are $5 each, and the older titles are $3 or less (Medieval 2, Empire, Napoleon, Rome). They're all Steam codes too.

So you can buy it for your friend/significant other who you keep bugging to play with you. And then he/she will never play with you anyway.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Azran posted:

They said they'd be granting a "better persistent MP experience" in Arena, yeah. I just hope it's not a MOBA, because it's going to die under Dota 2 if that's the case.

Honestly, I only care about the banner/general customization. Vets were a nice idea, but random drops/unlocking base units could be a goddamn chore sometimes. They'll have my money as soon as I know they are keeping the aspect I mentioned.
I think it will be a MOBA in name only, since they have said that each player will control upwards to 500 soldiers in different units so it's probably just cooperative total war battles.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
gently caress me, TF2 items? why is it I always get an urge to pre-order for those when I haven't played in a year?

the pyro armour is pretty good.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lord Tywin posted:

I think it will be a MOBA in name only, since they have said that each player will control upwards to 500 soldiers in different units so it's probably just cooperative total war battles.

Total war maps with 10v10 but each player limited to only 3 units, last time they talked about it.

edit: so not really a MOBA at all.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Sharkopath posted:

Total war maps with 10v10 but each player limited to only 3 units, last time they talked about it.

edit: so not really a MOBA at all.
So we have to find all the TWC spergs to be on our team because they'll be the only ones willing to charge their units forward while everyone refuses while trying to circle each other's units to try and flank one another but just end up with all sides having winded units duke it out for a minute and rout?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Sober posted:

So we have to find all the TWC spergs to be on our team because they'll be the only ones willing to charge their units forward while everyone refuses while trying to circle each other's units to try and flank one another but just end up with all sides having winded units duke it out for a minute and rout?

They fixed problems like that by adding objectives in shogun 2 mp. I don't see why they wouldn't carry something similar over for Arena. I'd rather have regular people on my team because TWC spergs will probably be too busy arguing with each other over what skin color their troops are or rrying to set up fights that will be one era vs. another so there aren't any historically inaccurate fights to fry their brains.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The people on TWC don't play multiplayer; they are the players who camp it up in a corner of a map or bridge with 8 artillery, then post on the forums how the AI is poo poo. They probably try the drop in battle once, lose, reload their save and never play another person again.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Are there any Victorian-era or Civil War-centric mods for any of the TW games that are in a suitably runnable and complete state? I am not good at sorting through everything that's out there, and keep on coming across projects that died years ago.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Nanban trade worth it for the Uesugi? The guns are tempting, but it seems like the christian influence would go against the Uesugi's religious beliefs and their super monks.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So long as you build a couple buddist temples in your towns (which you should be, for the monks) that should counter the effects of the Christianity.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah, a single monestary should be enough to counter the effects. Keep in mind though that imported matchlock ashigaru are pretty worthless unless you're Otomo or Christian, especially since you as the uesugi get the second best ranged unit in the game. European cannons are great for sieges though, and actually surprisingly useful in the field too.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is Nanban trade worth it for the Uesugi? The guns are tempting, but it seems like the christian influence would go against the Uesugi's religious beliefs and their super monks.

Well, unless want to absolutely destroy on the sea, I honestly don't think that Christianity is worth it period. In terms of the Uesugi, your warrior monks can go toe to toe with virtually any unit so long as it isn't a hero unit - therefore, switching to Christianity may be a poor choice. As for the guns, well. Matchlock units can't arch over friendly units like warrior monks, so you have to deploy them into flanking positions meaning they'll get murdered if you don't pay attention to them. The cannon are really only useful in sieges,as the fact they can't move makes them useless unless you're defending.

Honestly, if you just want the only good parts about Christianity, sacrifice a whole fleet to get the Black Ship and then just leave it at that. That bad boy can take on Cannon Bune no problem :getin:.And you won't have to have 5 Christian priests roving around getting assassinated/executed left and right.

Edit: Man, I knew I should've paid attention to reading comprehension. On the Nanban trade, I'd say yes. Most of your ports basically sit around neglected, so just build a Monastery/have a monk chilling nearby to counteract the Jesus. Come to think of it, this also a really good way to level up Monks - let the Christians get to around 30%-40% and then send the monk and get him leveled up.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 19, 2013

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

canyoneer posted:

Gamefly has a bunch of TW titles on sale right now. Shogun 2 and Shogun 2:FOTS are $5 each, and the older titles are $3 or less (Medieval 2, Empire, Napoleon, Rome). They're all Steam codes too.

So you can buy it for your friend/significant other who you keep bugging to play with you. And then he/she will never play with you anyway.

invalid product code in steam, for MTW2.

or I'm doing it wrong. Which is quite possible.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 19, 2013

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Has there been any mention of how Rome 2's load times are? I often burn out of fighting battles because the load times plus the time spent waiting for armies to walk into range of each other is so great.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

DiHK posted:

invalid product code in steam, for MTW2.

or I'm doing it wrong. Which is quite possible.

It appears I am mistaken. I guess it's only Napoleon, Empire, and Shogun series that activate on Steam.
I'll go commit seppuku to preserve my honor.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

A White Guy posted:

Well, unless want to absolutely destroy on the sea, I honestly don't think that Christianity is worth it period. In terms of the Uesugi, your warrior monks can go toe to toe with virtually any unit so long as it isn't a hero unit - therefore, switching to Christianity may be a poor choice. As for the guns, well. Matchlock units can't arch over friendly units like warrior monks, so you have to deploy them into flanking positions meaning they'll get murdered if you don't pay attention to them. The cannon are really only useful in sieges,as the fact they can't move makes them useless unless you're defending.

Honestly, if you just want the only good parts about Christianity, sacrifice a whole fleet to get the Black Ship and then just leave it at that. That bad boy can take on Cannon Bune no problem :getin:.And you won't have to have 5 Christian priests roving around getting assassinated/executed left and right.

Uh yeah this is wrong. Christianity is basically always worth it unless you're Uesugi or Ikko Ikki (or an inland clan with no plans for sea trade). You're really underselling the "absolutely destroy with navies" part- nanban trade ships are the difference between the naval aspect of this game being incredibly irritating and actually fun. They sail much farther than bunes, they make your trade nodes untouchable, and naval battles with European ships are actually pretty entertaining. It turns the sea from unrelenting whack-a-mole into "watch lots of flimsy ships get smahed by cannons"- and since wind becomes a major factor they're much more tactically interesting too. And even aside from all that, the Chi mastery bonus is considerable, and a Nanban Quarter will explode town growth (if you can grab Sado or Iwami early, put a nanban quarter on them, cut their taxes and get markets and post roads and so on, you can get a 10,000koku/turn province come realm divide). Christinity slows down your expansion a bit, and if you switch the wrong moment it completely fucks you over, but once the transition is complete you become a complete powerhouse.

This isn't to say "always go Christian"... but sort of, yeah, always go Christian. Except it does pretty well define how you play so it gets really boring to do that every game.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 19, 2013

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
Here is an approximate campaign map, based on the screenshot we saw in the E3 demo.

And here is the same map in an MSPaint-editable version.

If I had to guess, I'd say we might see a DLC faction on Iberia (probably the Lusitani) and one in Mesopotamia/Southern Iran.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

As an interest check: I was thinking about setting up some goon FFA's through the steam group and the Camping The Stairs mumble. Would any of y'all be interested? I still need to get Empire (not that anyone would want to play it) and Shogun II (which I'll pick up over the steam sale), but I want to make sure people are at all interested in the first place.

E; for cogency

brocretin fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 20, 2013

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I've taken the opportunity to make a historically revision because the current map has maliciously neglected to recognize one of the great ancient powers!

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Why is the province name still "Caledonia et Hibernia", seriously.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

I've taken the opportunity to make a historically revision because the current map has maliciously neglected to recognize one of the great ancient powers!

Not enough Bulgarias. You need at least 3, including one that is both Old and Great.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

brocretin posted:

As an interest check: I was thinking about setting up some goon FFA's through the steam group and the Camping The Stairs mumble. Would any of y'all be interested? I still need to get Empire (not that anyone would want to play it) and Shogun II (which I'll pick up over the steam sale), but I want to make sure people are at all interested in the first place.

E; for cogency

Not a bad idea, when Rome II comes out goons will naturally want to play with people who actually get how these games work like in the past.

I'm one of the Admins of Goon Total War group, busy these days to do things but if goons are up for organizing stuff for the up coming game and others I'll give them the group permissions and junk if needed.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I didn't want to come across as rude or anything, so I haven't add you yet Shako, but could you send me an invite to the group? :v:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Azran

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Yeah, can I get an invite to the group? http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198065275548

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
There's a thread in PGS for that guys. Not that active anymore but then neither is the Steam group :v:.