Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Popped the nut off, sanded it down, and filed the low and high E strings to get rid of some buzz on the zero fret. Plays open chords much better now. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Ordered a S-S-S set from GFS, no bridge p/u and two necks :( I could've even lived with two necks and no middle. But Dang.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Sockington posted:

and filed the low and high E strings to get rid of some buzz on the zero
Huh? How does this work?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Remulak posted:

Huh? How does this work?

Yeah, I had never played a zero fret guitar before. I actually kind of like this old girl. The pickups make some nice noises still. :unsmith:

The zero fret maintains tension on the spring and sets the intonation. The nut simply guides the strings to the zero fret.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
You got to clean the bridge and trem really badly. What do you think will cut that corrosion? Probably shine up pretty nicely, it's just crud, but I don't know what the underlying metal is. Wiring all works? Hit it with a shot of that cleaner, the electronics cleaner stuff.

Juche - dude, bummer, send 'em an email, that majorly sucks.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 17, 2013

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

juche mane posted:

Ordered a S-S-S set from GFS, no bridge p/u and two necks :( I could've even lived with two necks and no middle. But Dang.

That's hardly the end of the world. Strat pickups aren't such wildly different animals in a S-S-S configuration, with respect to impedance. As long as they're somewhere between 5.5 and 6.5, I think you'll be fine.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Nah, send 'em back and get the right set. I've had a couple screwups from GFS and they're really good about fixing it. No biggie, other than having to wait a few more days.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
http://www.zzounds.com/item--SCEBJSLSC1S

Any thoughts on this for jazz fusion and textural guitar work (Michael Brook)? I tried out an 8 string and it just wasn't for me :shobon:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah sure go for it. At the very least a sustainer is a cool toy. At best, it's an amazing tool.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Yeah they've already said that they're sending out a bridge and I don't even have to send the dupe back. Great service.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Man that Chinese Hofner I have sounds amazing.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Visually at least I made the right choice. Going to wait until I get the new scratchplate to do the wiring as I can't fit 3 pots and a 3way switch on this one. Plus need to tweak the trench cavity a bit as the pickup screws are about 7mm too long.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Verizian posted:

Visually at least I made the right choice. Going to wait until I get the new scratchplate to do the wiring as I can't fit 3 pots and a 3way switch on this one. Plus need to tweak the trench cavity a bit as the pickup screws are about 7mm too long.

Custom work is always fun. :allears:

I picked up my Jazzacaster(?)today. I love it. You guys were right, everyone needs a Tele. Headstock apologies to those into that sort of thing.

Got the guitar and Road Runner case for $350 cash. Couldn't be happier.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Anyone play one of the MIM Cabronita teles? They seem interesting but I hear the bridge placement is kinda wonky and the high E is too close to the edge of the board.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Verizian posted:

Oh yeah that looks nice, but can't you just cut the screws instead of routing the trench?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Either way I've got to buy/borrow the tools to do it. Was just going to drill out six recesses at 8mm depth and 10mm diameter but if I can cut the screws without gumming up the threads with scrap metal I'll do that instead.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Depending on how thick they are you could always use some bolt cutters to snip them and a small file to smooth out the start of the threading.

By the way, how hard would it be to mod a regular tele to have a humbucker in bridge position? I'm thinking you'd need a new bridge plate but not sure if you'd need to route the body to fit the humbucker.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Standard 3-saddle bridge plates don't hide a humbucker route too well on a tele. Also I haven't found a plate that fits a humbucker combined with the traditional 3-saddle setup.

You can get cheap tele copies with a post2010 6-saddle bridge plate that hides a humbucker route behind the scoil though.

Alternatively buy Artec telebuckers

Verizian fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 19, 2013

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Francostein posted:

Depending on how thick they are you could always use some bolt cutters to snip them and a small file to smooth out the start of the threading.

By the way, how hard would it be to mod a regular tele to have a humbucker in bridge position? I'm thinking you'd need a new bridge plate but not sure if you'd need to route the body to fit the humbucker.

A lot of the wood is cut out already so it'd be pretty easy to rout it but there are lots of single coil sized humbuckers so I don't know why you'd bother

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Declan MacManus posted:

A lot of the wood is cut out already so it'd be pretty easy to rout it but there are lots of single coil sized humbuckers so I don't know why you'd bother

I have a single coil sized humbucker in my strat (hot rails) and it's pretty meh in my opinion* so I just wanted to slam a humbucker into a really lovely tele and set it up for B standard. I thought it'd be a fun easy project to just gently caress around with one weekend.

*Way too much midrange, and I loving love midrange so that's saying something.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
You could always get a cutaway or hardtail bridge and use a mounting ring in a pinch.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Sockington posted:

Custom work is always fun. :allears:

I picked up my Jazzacaster(?)today. I love it. You guys were right, everyone needs a Tele. Headstock apologies to those into that sort of thing.

Got the guitar and Road Runner case for $350 cash. Couldn't be happier.

Honestly, it looks much better in your pic than the stock photo. Ordinarily I only like those on the Tele Deluxe, but it vibes with that particular model.

muike posted:

Anyone play one of the MIM Cabronita teles? They seem interesting but I hear the bridge placement is kinda wonky and the high E is too close to the edge of the board.
I'm pretty sure if you had a problem with string placement, you could get a threaded saddle instead of a notched one and just move it over a space. Also make sure the neck is aligned correctly, because that can change things too

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've often wondered would an angled humbucker take less work to fit than a straight one in Tele bridge route?
It looks like it would and the absurdity of it has always put it towards the top of the list of stupid guitar mods I want to do someday.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I know the guy from green day used to use one https://www.google.com/search?q=bil...qBKbUyQGtpYGIAg so you can imagine how it sounded from old green day recordings.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
^^^yup, it'll work, but whether it'll be everything you dreamed of and more is a crapshoot

Specter posted:

I've often wondered would an angled humbucker take less work to fit than a straight one in Tele bridge route?
It looks like it would and the absurdity of it has always put it towards the top of the list of stupid guitar mods I want to do someday.
Humbuckers don't respond well to angling

Note how the pole pieces don't all go under the strings once it's tilted. Gibson/Epiphone had to make a special humbucker for their Nighthawk guitars which have an angled humbucker

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Just use a rail humbucker if you're going to angle it. I thought about doing it with those Dragonfire quadrails but EMG's Dimebuckers, L500's or anything like them would work.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Slap two noiseless singles next to each other and offset accordingly :haw:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Lil-Puncher-XL-Three-Versions-Available_p_465.html

Oh. Look.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

TopherCStone posted:

^^^yup, it'll work, but whether it'll be everything you dreamed of and more is a crapshoot

Note how the pole pieces don't all go under the strings once it's tilted. Gibson/Epiphone had to make a special humbucker for their Nighthawk guitars which have an angled humbucker

Twangbucker

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

TopherCStone posted:

This isn't entirely accurate. Angled humbuckers sound just fine, they just have a slightly different sound to them. Back before there were tremspaced and F-spaced humbuckers, the only way to align the poles with the wider spacing of Fender and Floyd Rose tremolo bridges, whether it meant only one pole lined up or not, was to angle the pickup. That's why Van Halen's Frankenstein guitars had them angled. There's a little more lows present as well due to the poles on the bass side being moved towards the neck.

Mr. Talent
Feb 25, 2013
Really wanted a telecaster to compliment my les Paul custom and ended up deciding on a squier classic vibe in butterscotch. Going to be a looooong wait until it gets here Thursday. Anyone else have a classic vibe?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
If this Chappers video is anything to believe, you should be very impressed by it. :)

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Which Telecaster pickup am I supposed to use and when?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mr. Talent posted:

Really wanted a telecaster to compliment my les Paul custom and ended up deciding on a squier classic vibe in butterscotch. Going to be a looooong wait until it gets here Thursday. Anyone else have a classic vibe?

I got the exact same guitar recently. Plays like a dream and feels like a guitar you'd get for triple the price. They may be made in china but the overall quality is much better than your average made in the USA guitar. Long story short congrats dude you've got an amazing noisemaker coming.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
So I've heard a lot of good things about modern Squiers, I'm glad that's holding true. Especially since I've been thinking about getting something kinda Fendery lately, and not a Strat.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Pretty sure my next guitar is going to be an '85 Telecaster. It'll be as old as me. Preferably sunburst. Absolutely beat to hell.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

muike posted:

So I've heard a lot of good things about modern Squiers, I'm glad that's holding true. Especially since I've been thinking about getting something kinda Fendery lately, and not a Strat.

They're like "hold on to this for 20 years and make a few guitars worth" good (that could be totally wrong but I can see it happening). It's really nice to see since the industry is full of jacked up prices. From what I understand Leo was a penny pincher and these guitars feel like something in that true style. Amazingly simple, sturdy, assembled well, and backed with unique sounding wood. Nothing extra to add cost or distraction. I would feel terrible if I didn't tell someone looking for a cheap guitar to check these out.

I swear I don't work for fender.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Nah. Squier makes good stuff. I plan on getting the Vintage Modified offset line they introduced last year. I really want a Mustang. And a Jag. Will get a Jazzmaster while I'm at it.

The Squier Vintage Modifed tele that was posted earlier is also a killer deal, as is the cheaper Squier tele that has 3 pups, one a mini hum in the neck.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

GuitarToolkit (Universal iOS app) is on sale for $4.99 today, the cheapest it's ever been.

I already use Tempo for a metronome app but I think it might be useful to have an app that has a chord library and chord finder, so I'll probably pick this up and hope that I actually get some use out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I played a Squier '50s vibe tele and really liked it. I think it was about two hundred dollars, and I regret not picking it up.