Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

here's some moths that I found. If you know what they are please save me the work of looking them up :)

The male appears to die and shrivel up after they bump uglies, then the female flies away all fat and happy.

apatite fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisota_senatoria I think (orange striped oakworm moth)

schmagekie
Dec 2, 2003

apatite posted:

Dear god yes. But first I have to actually get the water supply setup and the bathroom&utility closet framed in. First objective is the water supply, obviously.

We will not be able to afford to have a well drilled for a long time, if ever. With the wife not working (building up more debt going to school, in fact) and my income dropping down so low plus a layoff/unemployment on the not-so-distant horizon, we are poor enough that my federal student loan payments were just dropped to "whatever you can pay per month, even if that's nothing" and apparently even qualify for food stamps or whatever they call it nowadays.

Without a well we are stuck with rainwater and the stream when it is running. Hence the giant tank on the porch. If I borrowed dad's pex crimper the kitchen sink could be plumbed in an hour, and if the bathroom were more than a twinkle in my eye that would take another couple hours to plumb. Until I can afford or scrounge gutters the water will have to come from the stream, but we already have a utility pump and enough hose to go from the tank to the stream. Will have to run the generator in order to use the pump though, so getting a rain water catchment system setup is a big ($$$) priority.

You should look into building a ram pump. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y_WWxWdn5A

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
With your toilet you basically have to move it regularly because you can only dig so deep right?

What animals have you killed and eaten out there?

All my friends and I ever did in college was talk about building a compound out in the woods and I have no idea why we are not doing so. The shipping container idea sound splendid.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kurt_Cobain posted:

With your toilet you basically have to move it regularly because you can only dig so deep right?

If constructed properly and sized for the expected number of users, and if the users aren't throwing in things like maxi pads or condoms, outhouses will naturally decompose everything inside them into extremely nutrient-rich soil, and you can just dig it out and put it on your garden (ideally not your food garden but there are ways to do that safely). You need at least a couple of months after the last use for everything to decompose, though, so you would need at least two alternating spots.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Loving this thread. I too have dreams of road-building and huge property in the woods-owning. I was thinking, for next winter, to avoid not knowing where the road really is, use some brightly coloured plastic sticks to stake out the boundaries before the snow hits too hard.

These get put up here before every winter

Should be easy and cheap to improvise something like that and save a lot of hassle and worrying when winter comes.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

apatite fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 21, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You are awesome and this is awesome. And I refuse to forgive you for that rusty ratty old truck because it is awesome too and I hope you aren't scrapping it.

You are doing what I would have done years ago if I had been able to figure out how to get a remote job lined up. At the time I was working for a tech company so I wanted to stay within a reasonable commute, so I bought a crappy fixer upper instead.

I know your pain well on the "existential crisis and no money to build anything... feeling lazy not doing anything" front... I have been there and hell, am probably there right now, which is why I'm surfing the internet instead of updating my drat thread.

Assuming I manage to finish my place and sell it, I'm aiming for the NEK, somewhere in NH, or somewhere in the Adirondacks next, probably pick up 100+ acres if I can afford it, on the eastern slope of a mountain or at least a drat large hill and build myself a little kingdom in the middle of nowhere.

Keep on going, you're making me want to look for land to buy again even though I literally couldn't buy gas to even get there right now. 5 years of plans, 5 days of money...

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

apatite fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 21, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

apatite posted:

On the waffle note - we have a cast iron waffle iron that is meant to be used over a fire or a woodstove, but it's too warm now to have a fire going in the woodstove. I dug out a bunch of clay last week for an attempt at an outdoor oven, but for now we use the electric waffle iron we got as a wedding present. This thing uses so much drat electricity we have to start the generator in order to run it, but the results are always so good it is worth burning a little gas :)

If you want to use it over fire without heating up the place, get a couple spare cans and build yourself a gasifier wood stove. I keep one in my camping pack for this, gets hot enough to boil water in a couple minutes on a handful of sticks, with almost zero waste heat and smoke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxODae_BS74

The video's building a fairly small one like I use for backpacking, but the concept scales perfectly fine, so a #10 can (like a coffee can) would be plenty big for most cast iron cookery.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

apatite posted:

So now we've got a bike on the back porch with the engine torn down

Funny story, my pickup is presently on my back porch (yep... :banjo:) waiting for me to have a spare minute to put the rear axle on jackstands and install the LSD I got for it. So far I've failed to do so for several days in a row.

That toyota sounds like a beast set up that way. EFI swap should be fun, I actually just spent about half of today welding 2x6 box tube rock rails into another goon's 91 yota to replace the rotted rockers... next after I finish this we're going to stuff an engine that was never meant to go in it in there instead of the 3vze. He wants a 22re, but can't find one locally within budget.

I had a pile of axles that sounds about like yours does, but sold most of the ones I decided not to use... I only have 3 front dana 60s, a rear 60, a chrysler 8.25, and a pair of dana 30s "in stock" right now.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I know this is last page chat, but why don't they build log cabins, have simple 2x4 framing on the inside with insulation in them, and then cover with dry wall or paneling? Insulation is expensive I guess, but probably less so than building two log walls.

Audio Bitch
Dec 8, 2007
I love this thread! Keep up the good work, can't wait to see what progress you make over the warmer months.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

hayden. posted:

I know this is last page chat, but why don't they build log cabins, have simple 2x4 framing on the inside with insulation in them, and then cover with dry wall or paneling? Insulation is expensive I guess, but probably less so than building two log walls.

I think they do exactly that, in some log homes. Many people who go through the expense of building a log home want it to look like a log home on the inside as well, though.

I googled and found the attached image and this bit:

quote:

The propensity for moisture-laden air to move outside has been utilized in the past to make a log house better insulated. In the far north, where winter temperatures may stay below freezing for months, it was a common practice to seal the house from the inside. This was done by putting several containers of water on the stove and bringing them to a boil. The vapor traveled to the outside through the cracks. It immediately froze on contact with the outside air, effectively scaling the house until the outside air temperature again was above 32 degrees Fahrenheit. This cut down on drafts and made for a snug house, at least until the weather warmed up.

Read more: http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/log-home-insulation.aspx#ixzz2VZfdwPwu

:eng101:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

apatite fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 21, 2015

Widdershins
May 19, 2007
Not even trying

apatite posted:

Fast forward some indeterminable amount of time, and we're having what the National Weather Service calls a "long duration precipitation event" - aka it rained for loving ever. Now the stream is flooded to levels it hasn't hit since 3 or 4 years ago.

Beavers.

Let's hope this rainy weather doesn't continue or you may get some.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

apatite posted:

Good call! I've built a small one before but hadn't really thought about enlarging and using for every day purposes...

I've seen 'em done all the way up to 55 gallon drum size. They're really pretty efficient.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Liquid Communism posted:

I've seen 'em done all the way up to 55 gallon drum size. They're really pretty efficient.

...and here's how to use one to run your tractor:
http://www.woodgas.net/files/FEMA_emergency_gassifer.pdf

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

ulmont posted:

...and here's how to use one to run your tractor:
http://www.woodgas.net/files/FEMA_emergency_gassifer.pdf

It's my dream to build a woodgas powered electrical generator out of an old carb'd toyota 20r engine I have. Really need to build a shop to work in. Just need to build the gasifier and buy a generator head on ebay...

Check out the "Gasifier Experimenters Kit" (GEK) http://www.gekgasifier.com/ Even if you don't buy their stuff (which you can get from kit form to fully built computer controlled awesomeness) their forum is a wealth of knowledge. That FEMA article is great but people have real life experience to share with us and we should be building upon that experience.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
It's my dream to build a woodgas powered electrical generator out of an old Hercules ZXB engine I have. Really need to build a shop to work in ... after everything else that needs to be done/ built/ fixed.

This is a great thread. Keep up the fantastic pictures.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 25, 2013

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Parting shot:

There is no way this plymouth ever made it up onto one of the tallest ridges on the property, so someone was probably using the hood as a sled to drag out firewood or maple sap :)

apatite fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 21, 2015

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Awesome update as always. How are you guys going to deal with the mosquitos when they're out in full force?

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

dreesemonkey posted:

Awesome update as always. How are you guys going to deal with the mosquitos when they're out in full force?

They have been out in full force for a while now, along with blackflies and deer flies. Only options are to be completely covered in clothing (sucks in hot weather), hide inside (sucks for productivity) or suck it up :) After a few days of being eaten alive each spring the bites stop itching for me, even if they are everywhere. YMMV and I may end up with some mosquito transmitted disease some day...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

DEET is an option too... 30% DEET bug spray kept me from being carried away whole and sucked dry by the mosquitos and black flies last summer.

It might make my skin fall off in 20 years but I still think it's worth it.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't mud deter Mosquitoes and the like from biting you?

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
I was on a tree-cutting rampage for a while; now have most of what we need for next winter stacked. This particular tree was kind of on the side of a cliff:

After talking about it for a half an hour, and tying some ropes on it, we decided to go for it.
It suddenly decided to fall about 90 degrees from the direction I wanted it to fall (away from the building behind it).

kind of close to the cabin?

It actually brushed the cabin on the way down. This is after cutting some branches away on the cabin side: It caused no damage to the cabin, but did take out a minor bit of outdoor plumbing I had to repair. I was going to change it anyway; that was the grey water outlet pipe that froze up last winter, so we couldn't use the kitchen sink or do laundry for about two weeks.

You can see in those pictures that Rockbottom is actually built on a huge loving rock.

It turned out that the tree is basswood, very soft, not very good for firewood. I haven't even cut it up yet.

The other big adventure lately was the dog coming home with porcupine quills in it's face, for the third time. This time she had quills inside her mouth and it was pretty bad and she put up a fight as I removed them.

The girlfriend had seen that the porcupine was up in a tree. She took me there with my .22 rifle, and I shot it.

I took it out of the tree in one shot, but it took several more shots to actually kill it.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

kastein posted:

DEET is an option too... 30% DEET bug spray kept me from being carried away whole and sucked dry by the mosquitos and black flies last summer.

It might make my skin fall off in 20 years but I still think it's worth it.

Good point, I don't touch the stuff myself but it does supposedly work very well!

itotaku posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't mud deter Mosquitoes and the like from biting you?

Not sure, will slather myself in mud like a little piggy and report back

Actuary X posted:

I was on a tree-cutting rampage for a while; now have most of what we need for next winter stacked. This particular tree was kind of on the side of a cliff:

After talking about it for a half an hour, and tying some ropes on it, we decided to go for it.
It suddenly decided to fall about 90 degrees from the direction I wanted it to fall (away from the building behind it).

kind of close to the cabin?

It actually brushed the cabin on the way down. This is after cutting some branches away on the cabin side: It caused no damage to the cabin, but did take out a minor bit of outdoor plumbing I had to repair. I was going to change it anyway; that was the grey water outlet pipe that froze up last winter, so we couldn't use the kitchen sink or do laundry for about two weeks.

You can see in those pictures that Rockbottom is actually built on a huge loving rock.

It turned out that the tree is basswood, very soft, not very good for firewood. I haven't even cut it up yet.

The other big adventure lately was the dog coming home with porcupine quills in it's face, for the third time. This time she had quills inside her mouth and it was pretty bad and she put up a fight as I removed them.

The girlfriend had seen that the porcupine was up in a tree. She took me there with my .22 rifle, and I shot it.

I took it out of the tree in one shot, but it took several more shots to actually kill it.

apatite fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 16, 2016

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I kinda like porcupines. They are so freaking cute. But on the other hand, I always keep my distance.

I read that they are very tasty though. And since you just happen to have one on hand... maybe you could try some porcupine for science and the curiosity for random people on the internet. Report back and let us know.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

apatite posted:

As far as the porcupine, that's a hard lesson to learn and I guess we should make sure everyone reading this understands as well:

IF YOU ARE GOING TO SHOOT A PORCUPINE DO NOT USE A .22LR! Most times it will be a horrific experience for both you and the porcupine and you would have better luck spearing it to death... I should have put a big disclaimer somewhere in the beginning of this thread. The first one I shot on the property met a tragic end at the muzzle of a .22 rifle and it was far from ideal. At this point it is medium caliber rifle like a .223 (don't shoot up into the air, these things can go a long way) or a 12ga shotgun with buckshot. People might not agree with killing porcupines (I don't agree with them slaughtering entire stands of timber) but hopefully they can at least agree that IF they are going to be killed it should be done in the quickest and most painless manner. [/rant]

I'd go further and say don't shoot a .22 in the air at all - if you do that here you can lose your firearm certificate quick fast, and also everyone will hate you. Even though they seem like toy rounds, they can kill and wound at surprising distances. Shotgun and buckshot are ideal for tree shooting.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

apatite posted:

This is an "adz" which is my preferred tool for getting rid of roots and tire poppers.

Interesting, around here we call this a Pulaski. Although maybe it's different.

African AIDS cum fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 19, 2013

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

apatite posted:

IF YOU ARE GOING TO SHOOT A PORCUPINE DO NOT USE A .22LR! Most times it will be a horrific experience for both you and the porcupine and you would have better luck spearing it to death... I should have put a big disclaimer somewhere in the beginning of this thread. The first one I shot on the property met a tragic end at the muzzle of a .22 rifle and it was far from ideal. At this point it is medium caliber rifle like a .223 (don't shoot up into the air, these things can go a long way) or a 12ga shotgun with buckshot. People might not agree with killing porcupines (I don't agree with them slaughtering entire stands of timber) but hopefully they can at least agree that IF they are going to be killed it should be done in the quickest and most painless manner. [/rant]

Well, I have a .22 and I have a .30 carbine. I had a .223 AR-15, but I sold it before moving to New York because it is illegal here (assault weapon ban). I suppose I should get a shotgun.

The porcupine was 30 or 40 feet up in the air, so spearing it was not really an option. I of course agree that it should be done as quickly and painlessly as possible when it is necessary.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

vaginal culture posted:

Interesting, around here we call this a Pulaski. Although maybe it's different.

That picture is a Pulaski. :colbert: The vertical blade is an axe. An adz is just a tool with a cutting blade at a 90 degree angle to the handle like a hoe. For dealing with rocky rooty NYS clay, I love a miner's pickax, which is one of the most useful tools known to man:

Digging tool sperging aside, this thread continues to be awesome and inspiring. Thanks to all of the contributors!

edited for confusing myself within my own sperging

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 19, 2013

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

apatite posted:

Not sure, will slather myself in mud like a little piggy and report back

http://survival.outdoorlife.com/blogs/survivalist/2012/08/how-prevent-mosquito-bites-4-deet-free-solutions

I don't know how accurate this is but apparently these are all good deet free solutions.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

stealie72 posted:

That picture is a Pulaski. :colbert: The vertical blade is an axe. An adz is just a tool with a cutting blade at a 90 degree angle to the handle like a hoe. For dealing with rocky rooty NYS clay, I love a miner's pickax, which is one of the most useful tools known to man:

Digging tool sperging aside, this thread continues to be awesome and inspiring. Thanks to all of the contributors!

edited for confusing myself within my own sperging

Pretty sure it's a mattock, at least in the UK

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

itotaku posted:

http://survival.outdoorlife.com/blogs/survivalist/2012/08/how-prevent-mosquito-bites-4-deet-free-solutions

I don't know how accurate this is but apparently these are all good deet free solutions.

Funny, I just read that garlic doesn't do anything but that good, fresh catnip is almost as effective as DEET.

Been lurking this thread since the beginning (as I do with so many threads) and living my mountain man dreams vicariously through you. What do you do for ticks, especially since you're in the area where Lyme Disease is present? Just wear good clothing coverage and then comb over yourself when you get home? I've got a tick issue in my backyard and every time after I do some work in the tall grass I've got at least 2-3 ticks on me, and since Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is around this area I've been pretty paranoid about the little nasty things.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

apatite posted:

Sucks to just let it rot

Fallen wood rotting on the forest floor is a natural and important part of a forest ecosystem. While I understand not wanting to let a useful resource go to waste (and if you have a use for your wood, go for it!), it is actually good for your environment to have a certain amount of rotting wood scattered around; it creates habitat for a wealth of microorganisms, insects, fungi, spiders, and other critters, it fertilizes the soil, and all those critters and stuff living in the wood feed the lovely birds and animals that you enjoy having around too. It also tends to trap moisture, which keeps soil wet longer through dry/hot periods.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Laminator posted:

Been lurking this thread since the beginning (as I do with so many threads) and living my mountain man dreams vicariously through you. What do you do for ticks, especially since you're in the area where Lyme Disease is present?
There are a lot of ticks around, but it seems like it was worse earlier in the Spring and is not as bad now. I'm kind of paranoid about them and keep checking. I've taken some off the dogs and the cat, as well as myself. The cat doesn't even go outside, but had a big one on her back.

Leperflesh posted:

Fallen wood rotting on the forest floor is a natural and important part of a forest ecosystem. While I understand not wanting to let a useful resource go to waste (and if you have a use for your wood, go for it!), it is actually good for your environment to have a certain amount of rotting wood scattered around; it creates habitat for a wealth of microorganisms, insects, fungi, spiders, and other critters, it fertilizes the soil, and all those critters and stuff living in the wood feed the lovely birds and animals that you enjoy having around too. It also tends to trap moisture, which keeps soil wet longer through dry/hot periods.
Oh my god you have no idea how much wood is lying around rotting. Yes, it is a very important part of the ecosystem, but lack of rotting wood is in no way a problem here. (Sixty four acres of land, about one acre is cleared, the rest is forest.)

Actually, when I think about rotting wood, I start worrying about the cabin.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
For ticks, you could always get some guineas and free range them. They are known for keeping the tick and insect population under control.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Laminator posted:

Funny, I just read that garlic doesn't do anything but that good, fresh catnip is almost as effective as DEET.

Been lurking this thread since the beginning (as I do with so many threads) and living my mountain man dreams vicariously through you. What do you do for ticks, especially since you're in the area where Lyme Disease is present? Just wear good clothing coverage and then comb over yourself when you get home? I've got a tick issue in my backyard and every time after I do some work in the tall grass I've got at least 2-3 ticks on me, and since Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is around this area I've been pretty paranoid about the little nasty things.

If you are a believer in naturopathy you could try what we use for hunting trips in Panama. There is a tree called Cedrón (simaba cedron, also known as bitter cedar or bitter bitter) which produces very bitter seeds. After drying them in the sun, you scrap some of the seed into hot water, let it rest for a minute as it cools down and then drink it. Its bitterer than aspirine and will take at least 8 hours to start acting but I find it very effective in keeping insects away. You may repeat the dose the next day but you should be careful as it is also used as antipyretic and has many other uses.

http://archive.org/details/101209002.nlm.nih.gov

Its unfortunate that medical companies have not dedicated more money into investigating folk traditions about herbal remedies.

This plant cured my brother of an odd skin rash that he developed whenever he ate seafood. http://www.stuartxchange.com/Kakawati.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

ShadowStalker posted:

For ticks, you could always get some guineas and free range them. They are known for keeping the tick and insect population under control.

I second the suggestion for guinea fowl. They do a really good job of clearing out ticks. I had four of them (have since given them to my neighbor since she loves them). They not only cleared out my 5 acres, but they also cleared out all my neighbor's properties. Probably close to 100 acres altogether.

I just free ranged them during the day and penned them up at night with the chickens. They started eating ticks close to home and then started wandering further and further during the days so find more tasty, tasty ticks. Awesome birds. Crazy sounds. Extremely entertaining. Absolutely voracious tick hunting machines. Pure awesome.

• Locked thread