Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ligur posted:

[STRIKE-CHAT]

The forehand uppercut is the best punch.

No way you can't follow it up with a glorious hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Novum posted:

Rear hand uppercut is my favorite because the guy who always uses them always tries to open with it, leading to easy and hilarious counter attacks.

I experimented with leading with my overhand for a bit til I talked to my coach and he said "NEVER LEAD WITH THE OVERHAND"

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

mewse posted:

I experimented with leading with my overhand for a bit til I talked to my coach and he said "NEVER LEAD WITH THE OVERHAND"

when you say "experiment" I mentally substitute "did a lot of jaeger bombs and picked a fight"

mewse
May 2, 2006

I admit most of my bright ideas come from drinking

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Kekekela posted:

Oh hey, I know that place, I thought it was just called Tampa Muay Thai. We had like four guys fight over there last year at one of the fight nights.

From what I understand, the actual gym goes by Tampa Muay Thai. But, they are an affiliate of the Khanomtom group run out of Thailand.

Ligur posted:

[STRIKE-CHAT]

My strike-chat musing: hooks, I HATE them. I don't see how you can generate any power from one. I get that the idea is to use a hook to get around the opponent's hands, but then what? You've landed with a punch that won't break an egg. Also, hooks hurt my hand something fierce when landing one on a focus mitt or bag. Then again, I've only been learning to throw punches for only a month now, so it's a safe assumption that I don't know what the gently caress.

Speaking of hurting hands, I'm still getting some pain when I connect with uppercuts too. Boxing is hard!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dolemite posted:

hooks, I HATE them. I don't see how you can generate any power from one. I get that the idea is to use a hook to get around the opponent's hands, but then what? You've landed with a punch that won't break an egg. Then again, I've only been learning to throw punches for only a month now, so it's a safe assumption that I don't know what the gently caress.
Every striker eventually gets hooks, and then it's totally different. Having bad technique will be exposed in your hook much more easily than with straight punches.

quote:

Speaking of hurting hands, I'm still getting some pain when I connect with uppercuts too. Boxing is hard!
Also, hooks hurt my hand something fierce when landing one on a focus mitt or bag.

Knuckles, or wrist, or elsewhere?

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kekekela posted:

Oh hey, I know that place, I thought it was just called Tampa Muay Thai. We had like four guys fight over there last year at one of the fight nights.

Dang, small world!

The actual story I think is that the founder/owner, Ray Cole, trained at Khanomtom62 under Khru Sakkedao, and then took the namesake when he founded it. Apparently "Khanomtom" is hard to pronounce for whitey (really now?) so everyone just calls it Tampa Muay Thai :shrug:.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dolemite posted:

My strike-chat musing: hooks, I HATE them. I don't see how you can generate any power from one. I get that the idea is to use a hook to get around the opponent's hands, but then what? You've landed with a punch that won't break an egg. Also, hooks hurt my hand something fierce when landing one on a focus mitt or bag. Then again, I've only been learning to throw punches for only a month now, so it's a safe assumption that I don't know what the gently caress.

Dude, hooks OWN, especially if you're a lefty, practice them a lot. Angel taught me how to hook a lot better so if you can go in the morning, go to one and ask him.

Also, you may be hitting the bag too hard, I know the exact pain you're describing and it sounds like you're loving up your wrist and jamming it. Wrap your wrist better and if you're using the gym's gloves still then try to get there early and get the better pairs. If you're going to make this a full time thing then get some real gloves, I got a good pair of Fairtex gloves and the wrist support is so much better. Just TAKE IT EASY on the power for a while, especially since you're totally green you should be doing basic technique, power comes WITH the technique.

E: are you becoming familiar with standard 4-count techniques yet? Roundhouse kick, hook, cross, switch kick or switch kick, cross, hook, roundhouse kick (for us southpaws at least). One drill you learn fairly early is round-hook-cross-switch-cross-hook-round-repeat. A ton of the mid and higher level techniques will revolve around 4-counts. Saying again, if you ever can, go to a morning class if you can at all! Morning classes are basically free private lessons. Also how are you doing on sprint kicks? Those were a bitch for me to get for a long time.

T.S. Smelliot fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 19, 2013

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

No way you can't follow it up with a glorious hook.

What are you talking about, you can easily do lead-uppercut to lead-hook. Tyson did it all the time.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Yeah, just do that thing Mike Tyson did, jeez

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
can I do the thing where my forehead touches the floor while weaving around 4 punches in a row? Because thats the coolest ever.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Xguard86 posted:

can I do the thing where my forehead touches the floor while weaving around 4 punches in a row? Because thats the coolest ever.

Only if you follow it up with that John Smith single where you put your shoulder on his ankle.

E: Paging Lt. Shiny-sides - Any summaries or abstracts on the impact upper back/trap strength has on punching? I used to talk with a boxing ref who swore up and down that it was obvious Tyson didn't hit as hard in the 90s because his back was so much smaller.

Julio Cesar Fatass fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 19, 2013

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah, just do that thing Mike Tyson did, jeez

Lots of people in boxing use the lead-uppercut/hook combo, I just like tying my boxing references to Tyson or Floyd because it makes it harder for KidDynamite to disagree with me.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Left upper->Left hook is just something that makes my rotator cuff cry. I'm also having trouble seeing an application for the combo over left upper->straight. The hook off the left upper will also be less powerful than a hook thrown after a right upper thus making it less glorious, unless it's left upper->feint->left hook but to me that's an entirely different combination. :colbert:

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Every time I saw Tyson doing it he was throwing against a guy cowering behind his gloves with no will to do anything beyond that. Also Tyson was fast as a motherfucker.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

Left upper->Left hook is just something that makes my rotator cuff cry. I'm also having trouble seeing an application for the combo over left upper->straight. The hook off the left upper will also be less powerful than a hook thrown after a right upper thus making it less glorious, unless it's left upper->feint->left hook but to me that's an entirely different combination. :colbert:

You can get a full power hook off the left upper if you don't fully shift your weight on the upper, which means the upper won't be as powerful, but it doesn't need to be because the purpose of it isn't to be a full power shot in and of itself but to raise your opponent's head to set them up for the subsequent hook.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

fatherdog posted:

You can get a full power hook off the left upper if you don't fully shift your weight on the upper, which means the upper won't be as powerful, but it doesn't need to be because the purpose of it isn't to be a full power shot in and of itself but to raise your opponent's head to set them up for the subsequent hook.

chessbox'in right here.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Muay Thai is god-king of all striking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reXwXRH0j4s

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

Doubling up on one side owns bones. I find a lot of people really struggle to throw them because they don't get how to rotate their hip that little bit to get some torque into both punches.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'll double up with a hook off the jab or hooks to head then body or whatever combination. Those play nice with shoulders. But like fatherdog pointed out you have to take a bit off the upper to get a powerful hook after it. I don't think there's a way to blast full power left upper->left hook unless you've got latex bands instead of labrum in your shoulder.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
[STRIKE-CHAT]

The backhand hook is the worst punch. >:[

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
uh... I never have or had a problem throwing a left hook after a left straight (jab) without full power? Also, sometimes you need that hook just to tag him so you can hit him hard with the right? Just throw the first hook, then throw the second hook. Load it up as normal. ("bam, BAM" if you make sound effects)

Am I not understanding the strikechat?

mewse
May 2, 2006

the best punch is the pimp slap

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Spinning back elbow was always the hardest for me, which sucks because dang does it look cool.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

mewse posted:

the best punch is the pimp slap

I'll raise you the GERMAN pimp slap

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Knuckles, or wrist, or elsewhere?

It always ends up at the wrists, but sometimes, I get pain in my middle two knuckles.

Israfel posted:

Dude, hooks OWN, especially if you're a lefty, practice them a lot. Angel taught me how to hook a lot better so if you can go in the morning, go to one and ask him.

Also, you may be hitting the bag too hard, I know the exact pain you're describing and it sounds like you're loving up your wrist and jamming it. Wrap your wrist better and if you're using the gym's gloves still then try to get there early and get the better pairs. If you're going to make this a full time thing then get some real gloves, I got a good pair of Fairtex gloves and the wrist support is so much better. Just TAKE IT EASY on the power for a while, especially since you're totally green you should be doing basic technique, power comes WITH the technique.

E: are you becoming familiar with standard 4-count techniques yet? Roundhouse kick, hook, cross, switch kick or switch kick, cross, hook, roundhouse kick (for us southpaws at least). One drill you learn fairly early is round-hook-cross-switch-cross-hook-round-repeat. A ton of the mid and higher level techniques will revolve around 4-counts. Saying again, if you ever can, go to a morning class if you can at all! Morning classes are basically free private lessons. Also how are you doing on sprint kicks? Those were a bitch for me to get for a long time.

I definitely want to get the hang of hooks for sure. Especially if they're a great weapon for lefties! I prob do hit the bag a bit hard. I warm up first, I start off just tapping the bag and focusing on technique. Then, I ramp up the power while still trying to use good technique. I guess I need to calm down a bit and quit trying to kill the bag. It seems counter-intuitive that not trying to kill the bag will make your punches better!

I'm using the gym's gloves right now, but I plan to pick up some gloves when I save up a bit more cash. I'm not familiar with the four-count combos you've listed off. We've actually never drilled those in the month and a half I've been training. The combo drills are usually punching only drills. Or, we work on a specific skill.

I'd like to get to the gym early enough to take a 6am class. It's pretty hard to do that living across the bridge in St. Pete. I think the instructors at the gym are getting hip to the fact that the early classes are free private sessions. Now, students are being requested to post up on Facebook if you'll be making it.

[EQUIPMENT-CHAT]
I was looking at gloves on Amazon last night and there's a bunch of different gloves out there! Competition gloves, sparring gloves, bag gloves, lace ups, etc. There doesn't seem to be a general purpose type glove out there. Ugg! I know I don't want lace ups since we're constantly taking gloves on and off to put on protective gear, grab a drink of water, etc. But I dunno what kind of gloves to get. I need a pair that will primarily be used on heavy bags, Thai pads, and focus mitts. But, will hold up when I go sparring months (or even a year) from now.

I would assume that means I would be best served by bag gloves. But will they fall apart after one sparring session?

Also, I'm looking at MT style shorts - do you all have any brands you love? Brands that make piss poor shorts? Same goes for gloves, any brands to avoid? I understand that for gloves at least, Fairtex is worth the money and hype.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Buy a pair of Twins leather gloves and a pair of pink Top King shorts, never look back.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Cael Sanderson teaches you a single. We worked this at my last wrestling class -- it's a very cool and simple setup (kind of like an arm drag), and you can take the back even if they sprawl successfully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3m10z6-lzc

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Syphilis Fish posted:

uh... I never have or had a problem throwing a left hook after a left straight (jab) without full power? Also, sometimes you need that hook just to tag him so you can hit him hard with the right? Just throw the first hook, then throw the second hook. Load it up as normal. ("bam, BAM" if you make sound effects)

Am I not understanding the strikechat?

You're misunderstanding we're talking about a hook after an uppercut.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Cael Sanderson teaches you a single. We worked this at my last wrestling class -- it's a very cool and simple setup (kind of like an arm drag), and you can take the back even if they sprawl successfully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3m10z6-lzc

I've never been able to shoot correctly. I can't get my forward knee to drop ever. Not sure if it's due to ankle inflexibility or some other factor how do people get that part right?

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 20, 2013

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

You're misunderstanding we're talking about a hook after an uppercut.

I've never been able to shoot correctly. I can't get my forward knee to drop ever. Not sure if it's due to ankle inflexibility or some other factor how do people get that part right?

Are you a big or fat guy? Bigger guys tend to have really lovely balance when they're low. Aside from just drilling shots until you can do them you can try stabilization exercises like split squats, lunges, bosu ball squats, etc.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dolemite posted:

[EQUIPMENT-CHAT]
I was looking at gloves on Amazon last night and there's a bunch of different gloves out there! Competition gloves, sparring gloves, bag gloves, lace ups, etc. There doesn't seem to be a general purpose type glove out there. Ugg! I know I don't want lace ups since we're constantly taking gloves on and off to put on protective gear, grab a drink of water, etc. But I dunno what kind of gloves to get. I need a pair that will primarily be used on heavy bags, Thai pads, and focus mitts. But, will hold up when I go sparring months (or even a year) from now.

These are all you will ever need for anything and everything at the gym (in 16 oz so you can spar with them) http://www.muaythai-fighting.com/fairtex-muay-thai-boxing-glove-bgv-1.html

If you want to down the road, get a Boon belly pad, Top King shin guards, and Fairtex/Boone thai pads to train on your own. You've probably noticed the stock thai pads in the gym are fairly nice as well for the money.

You can also buy gloves in the gym shop iirc, you might be able to get a discount. The site I linked has been used by myself and several other goons with no issues, so they're a good seller as well.

Also I meant the 9 am classes, not the russian gulag labor PT sessions run by Dato at 6. Either Dato or Angel teach 9 am, alternating with Angel mon-weds-fri if I recall correctly.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

you just have to do a lot of shooting drills up and down the mat to get the strength and coordination. I couldn't do it either but drilled it enough that now its fairly natural.

azreal
Sep 2, 2011

Dolemite posted:

It always ends up at the wrists, but sometimes, I get pain in my middle two knuckles.

I definitely want to get the hang of hooks for sure. Especially if they're a great weapon for lefties! I prob do hit the bag a bit hard. I warm up first, I start off just tapping the bag and focusing on technique. Then, I ramp up the power while still trying to use good technique. I guess I need to calm down a bit and quit trying to kill the bag. It seems counter-intuitive that not trying to kill the bag will make your punches better!

I'm using the gym's gloves right now, but I plan to pick up some gloves when I save up a bit more cash. I'm not familiar with the four-count combos you've listed off. We've actually never drilled those in the month and a half I've been training. The combo drills are usually punching only drills. Or, we work on a specific skill.

I'd like to get to the gym early enough to take a 6am class. It's pretty hard to do that living across the bridge in St. Pete. I think the instructors at the gym are getting hip to the fact that the early classes are free private sessions. Now, students are being requested to post up on Facebook if you'll be making it.

[EQUIPMENT-CHAT]

I would assume that means I would be best served by bag gloves. But will they fall apart after one sparring session?

Also, I'm looking at MT style shorts - do you all have any brands you love? Brands that make piss poor shorts? Same goes for gloves, any brands to avoid? I understand that for gloves at least, Fairtex is worth the money and hype.

For gloves, I use Ringside IMF Techs. They are good all leather boxing gloves for sparring or bag work.

azreal fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 20, 2013

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Are you a big or fat guy? Bigger guys tend to have really lovely balance when they're low. Aside from just drilling shots until you can do them you can try stabilization exercises like split squats, lunges, bosu ball squats, etc.

Right now yes but even when fit in high school and on the wrestling team I was unable to do it correctly. My coach could never figure it out and we worked on it until I started winning and he was like you're a senior do what works.

Dang harsh but probably true!
VVVV

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 20, 2013

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

Right now yes but even when fit in high school and on the wrestling team I was unable to do it correctly. My coach could never figure it out and we worked on it until I started winning and he was like you're a senior do what works.

I think I figured it out, the reason you can't do a single is because you've had lovely coaching

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Guess whose gym got onto Gilt deals?
http://www.giltcity.com/boston/redlinefightsports
They used a pic of me. :3:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Guess whose gym got onto Gilt deals?
http://www.giltcity.com/boston/redlinefightsports
They used a pic of me. :3:

haha I see the Winning headgear! Enjoy the newbies, treat them well. Or pound them if they are butts.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

More proud of the Boons I got from poster JeromeLouis.

How's that headgear working out? I have a pair of Lonsdale gloves if you want them, but they're weird and might not provide wrist support for others, too.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

This one kid who was deathly afraid of sparring has made good progress wearing it. It took some mental block off getting hit for him. We've explained he'll have to get weened off it to make sure he can go into a fight and he seems like he'll be able to make that step just fine. Thanks again dude. Can't be said enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

azreal posted:

For gloves, I use Ringside IMF Techs. They are good all leather boxing gloves for sparring or bag work.

I'm a big fan of Fairtex, Twins and punchtown, I use the latter at the moment and haven't had any issues.

• Locked thread