Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panzerbat
Jun 14, 2013

Clanpot Shake posted:

In my IRL group last night things started coming to a head. We've infiltrated a secret facility where two of the planet's three major crime families / political powers are performing experiments using a warp artifact that fucks with time. This effort is lead by an immensely powerful psyker and it's heretical as all get-out.

Activating the warp artifact requires a dozen or so psykers who are basically disposable daemon-host vessels and a sacrifice of several thousand regular people. Since no mere mortal can activate the device, they've summoned and bound an incredibly powerful daemon into a daemonhost, who they instruct with very carefully worded legal contracts to do their bidding.

Through a series of grossly incompetent blunders we've mostly blown our cover, though they don't yet know we were sent there by the Inquisition. My character, an arrogant adept, has been separated from the rest of the group. They were taken into custody while I managed to escape. There's an APB out for me, but since it's a huge facility most people won't recognize me.

So, being basically screwed as everyone in charge of the inescapable facility has it in for me, I decide to try my best chance of survival: a deal with the daemonhost, Arcanthus. He had appeared to us before, and sent us to aid those who summoned him when some poo poo went bad, which was how the powers that be became aware of us in the first place. I wager that since he's obviously being held against his will, we can help each other - I'll free him in exchange for him killing the people out to get me.

Arcanthus has other plans though. He tells me he actually wants to be there, and that the device needs to be returned to the warp, an order from the Lord of Change himself (ruh roh). He will help me though. I agree to alter the orders before they're read to him so he can make off with the device, and he gives me a ritual that will transfer my soul to another body with just a scroll written in my blood containing my own name, the name of my new body, affixed to something that person holds dear.

There's a catch though. The ritual requires some questionable terms. It will summon a daemon who specializes in these kinds of soul transfers. I'll need to sell my soul to him (terms yet to be revealed), and then die. The daemon will then take my soul, swaddled like a precious babe, and place it in the target body, presumably evicting its current occupant and maybe dining on the delicious homeless soul. Apparently I just have to trust that this will go totally smoothly.

But I've got a plan. The leader of this crazy operation is incredibly driven, and the device is something she's poured an immense amount of energy and resources into. I'm going to write this scroll up, glue it to the device, and conduct the ritual. When they finally find me they'll probably execute me, at which point my soul will be whisked away into her body. Then I'll be able to do whatever the hell I want, including banishing Arcanthus and dismantling the project.

Foolproof.

This could lead to one of those great roleplaying stories you tell years from now.

Go for it and keep us posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saladin
Jan 31, 2009

Hey pussy

Clanpot Shake posted:

In my IRL group last night things started coming to a head. We've infiltrated a secret facility where two of the planet's three major crime families / political powers are performing experiments using a warp artifact that fucks with time. This effort is lead by an immensely powerful psyker and it's heretical as all get-out.

Activating the warp artifact requires a dozen or so psykers who are basically disposable daemon-host vessels and a sacrifice of several thousand regular people. Since no mere mortal can activate the device, they've summoned and bound an incredibly powerful daemon into a daemonhost, who they instruct with very carefully worded legal contracts to do their bidding.

Through a series of grossly incompetent blunders we've mostly blown our cover, though they don't yet know we were sent there by the Inquisition. My character, an arrogant adept, has been separated from the rest of the group. They were taken into custody while I managed to escape. There's an APB out for me, but since it's a huge facility most people won't recognize me.

So, being basically screwed as everyone in charge of the inescapable facility has it in for me, I decide to try my best chance of survival: a deal with the daemonhost, Arcanthus. He had appeared to us before, and sent us to aid those who summoned him when some poo poo went bad, which was how the powers that be became aware of us in the first place. I wager that since he's obviously being held against his will, we can help each other - I'll free him in exchange for him killing the people out to get me.

Arcanthus has other plans though. He tells me he actually wants to be there, and that the device needs to be returned to the warp, an order from the Lord of Change himself (ruh roh). He will help me though. I agree to alter the orders before they're read to him so he can make off with the device, and he gives me a ritual that will transfer my soul to another body with just a scroll written in my blood containing my own name, the name of my new body, affixed to something that person holds dear.

There's a catch though. The ritual requires some questionable terms. It will summon a daemon who specializes in these kinds of soul transfers. I'll need to sell my soul to him (terms yet to be revealed), and then die. The daemon will then take my soul, swaddled like a precious babe, and place it in the target body, presumably evicting its current occupant and maybe dining on the delicious homeless soul. Apparently I just have to trust that this will go totally smoothly.

But I've got a plan. The leader of this crazy operation is incredibly driven, and the device is something she's poured an immense amount of energy and resources into. I'm going to write this scroll up, glue it to the device, and conduct the ritual. When they finally find me they'll probably execute me, at which point my soul will be whisked away into her body. Then I'll be able to do whatever the hell I want, including banishing Arcanthus and dismantling the project.

Foolproof.

This can only end terribly. Deliciously, deliciously terribly.

Go for it!

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
I don't know if anyone has posted this in any of the 40K threads yet:

http://io9.com/captain-harlock-may-be-the-most-awesome-scifi-flick-of-513791011

I do not understand the crazy moon language being spoken in the trailer but it sure looks a lot like Rogue Trader: The Anime to me.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If you didn't know, the Captain Harlock anime and its variants have been around since 1978 (well, 1953, but he only got a proper series in the 70's). The Captain Haarlock of the FFG series is obviously inspired by the guy. But yeah, it's definitely RT the Series, and anyone who likes playing RT should give one of his many series a go (I recommend Space Pirate Captain Harlock and its sequel, Endless Odyssey, though that might just be my nostalgia talking).

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I've been running RT for a few sessions and there's something I'm having trouble with. Weapon ranges. On a reasonably sized map all combat will occur at 'short range' and even shotguns will generally find themselves to not be limited by range. When a lasgun has a range of a hundred meters you'd need a physical battle map of several meters for range to matter. We're running on Roll20 but that doesn't really handle huge maps very well and either way it's not very fun to have tiny tiny tokens strewn on a humongous mostly empty map.

If I'm getting the rules right, to make matters worse all weapons actually have a range double that listed in the armory. A little counterintuitive! 'Long range', a -10 penalty, only occurs when you fire at more than double the listed range... So even a shotgun has a range of 60 meters (a 60x60 grid is huge!) and a lasgun reaches out to 200 meters with no penalty. 'Long range' runs up to four times the listed range so you can fire up to 400 meters mostly fine. It's only after that you get a -30 penalty.

This isn't a problem if you don't mind that range isn't a concern but I'd rather it be. Have I missed something or will I just have to houserule the ranges down or come up with something else?

Elukka fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jun 19, 2013

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

It's range increments, so the same as D&D and stuff.

A range of hundreds of meters for long-range shots with a rifle that is unlikely to hit is pretty reasonable though. Shotguns do have a range of 60 but they have a special quality, Scatter, which only works at point blank range and penalises you at long range. Shooting a shotgun at 120m or whatever is totally doable but it'll probably be shrugged off as you've got a big penalty to hit, low damage and they get an armour bonus.

All combat occuring at 'short range' is totally reasonable if you're moving building to building or in most of the situations you find yourself in an RPG. Range isn't going to be a concern in most of those scenarios. If you want range to be a problem then, yeah, you're probably looking at a bigger battlefield scenario with open area to move or units in between where you are and who you want to shoot.

I think the thing you've missed is that being out of range should be really unusual. If you want to emphasise range as a concern you need more than big corridors or something, maybe try having the characters looking to assault a fort with a defined killing ground around it or some fields and open things they need to cross. You don't really need to map that all out as well, you can just say "The giant runways sized to support landing ships fit for regimental transport is over 300m wide, you and your bros can see the badguys set up with nothing in between you except the wrecked remains of a Leviathan and a scattering of potholes". Then you can break out the map for the up close combat stuff I guess? It might be just a Roll20 issue but for longer range stuff you can abstract the map a lot more since individual movements of a few m left or right doesn't really matter.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Also don't forget that all ships and such in WH40k are absolutely massive, with even a frigate measuring several km long. So if there's a spinal corridor, it would be super lengthy. Moreso for a bulk transport or whatever, the cargo bays would just be cavernous.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

mkultra419 posted:

I don't know if anyone has posted this in any of the 40K threads yet:

http://io9.com/captain-harlock-may-be-the-most-awesome-scifi-flick-of-513791011

I do not understand the crazy moon language being spoken in the trailer but it sure looks a lot like Rogue Trader: The Anime to me.

You can tell this isn't Rogue Trader: The Anime, because it appears to only have one giant skull in it. If it were truly RT, there would be at least 25 skulls in the trailer, and at least one of them would be an enormous skull pauldron.

Edit: I just realized that a bunch of people have Jolly Roger's on them, but I don't think fabric skulls count. :colbert:

Still looks rad, though.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
After reading this thread and having nobody to play with in my area, I'd really, really like a goon rolld20 40k game.

Would anyone be interested in that sort of thing?

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
I'd definitely be interested in giving it a try, finding locals for a 40K game is really challenging.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Does anyone have any tips on running Tau? So far they've just been getting mowed down by the Kill-Team and I need to make them "feel" more threatening once they reach the main force instead of just scouting groups.

Firstborn posted:

After reading this thread and having nobody to play with in my area, I'd really, really like a goon rolld20 40k game.

Would anyone be interested in that sort of thing?

I know I'd like to do it.

Heh, three no avis.

What a lovely bunch are we.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Elukka posted:

I've been running RT for a few sessions and there's something I'm having trouble with. Weapon ranges. On a reasonably sized map all combat will occur at 'short range' and even shotguns will generally find themselves to not be limited by range. When a lasgun has a range of a hundred meters you'd need a physical battle map of several meters for range to matter. We're running on Roll20 but that doesn't really handle huge maps very well and either way it's not very fun to have tiny tiny tokens strewn on a humongous mostly empty map.

If I'm getting the rules right, to make matters worse all weapons actually have a range double that listed in the armory. A little counterintuitive! 'Long range', a -10 penalty, only occurs when you fire at more than double the listed range... So even a shotgun has a range of 60 meters (a 60x60 grid is huge!) and a lasgun reaches out to 200 meters with no penalty. 'Long range' runs up to four times the listed range so you can fire up to 400 meters mostly fine. It's only after that you get a -30 penalty.

This isn't a problem if you don't mind that range isn't a concern but I'd rather it be. Have I missed something or will I just have to houserule the ranges down or come up with something else?

In addition to what everyone else has said, you can change the distance that one tile represents in the map option screen in Roll20.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm very familiar with the setting, and the type of nerd to read most of the 40k novels and play the video games and all, but not confident enough to run as storyteller. I think if one of you guys wanted to, we would only need like 1 more to give it a go.

Assuming nobody else wanted to get in, we could recruit from Roll20, too.

My e-mail is shishioh @ rocketmail dot com, mail me, we can get on AIM or something and discuss further (I don't have PM).

I'm getting a little irrationally excited about playing Roll20 40k with you guys. Any other gentlegoons want to get in?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Miruvor posted:

I'd definitely be interested in giving it a try, finding locals for a 40K game is really challenging.

Don't pitch it as a 40k game. Pitch it as a dystopian sci-fi (investigative | action | space opera) game. The 40k lore is great, but for people who don't know it joining a game where everybody does can be kind of intimidating.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Dirty_Moses posted:

Does anyone have any tips on running Tau? So far they've just been getting mowed down by the Kill-Team and I need to make them "feel" more threatening once they reach the main force instead of just scouting groups.

Crisis Suits with 1+ plasma weapons are The Real Deal and a Broadside hit is dodge-or-burn-a-FP for a lot of characters.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Firstborn posted:

I'm very familiar with the setting, and the type of nerd to read most of the 40k novels and play the video games and all, but not confident enough to run as storyteller. I think if one of you guys wanted to, we would only need like 1 more to give it a go.

Assuming nobody else wanted to get in, we could recruit from Roll20, too.

My e-mail is shishioh @ rocketmail dot com, mail me, we can get on AIM or something and discuss further (I don't have PM).

I'm getting a little irrationally excited about playing Roll20 40k with you guys. Any other gentlegoons want to get in?

I feel like we should keep it in house, personally. But that's just me, I don't mind too much.

Karandras posted:

Crisis Suits with 1+ plasma weapons are The Real Deal and a Broadside hit is dodge-or-burn-a-FP for a lot of characters.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. What I mean though is how do I roleplay, as the GM, the Tau to the players to make them more threatening?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Dirty_Moses posted:

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. What I mean though is how do I roleplay, as the GM, the Tau to the players to make them more threatening?

Serious answer:

The Tau have crazy advanced tech in a lot of ways, so your killteam might come across traps and stuff they just don't understand. If you want to go more subtle with it, the scariest thing about a Tau to a YES BROTHER marine is probably how reasonable they can be. Your killteam might run into humans who the Tau have straight-up assisted with no obvious tradeoff, Tau who want to parlay, etc. I think that's probably the way to go with it because, while they make for a really effective conventional shooting military, the Tau are the least physically intimidating main enemy in 40k.

You could add some Kroot, though; they can be pretty intimidating. poo poo, they're space marines, throw a greater knarloc at them.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'd also be down for a Roll20/OpenRPG/etc. 40k game. I've been looking for people to play one for the longest time, and I can't seem to find anyone local or online who'd be willing.

I kinda really want to play Only War.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I'd love to play some Deathwatch. I kind of really want to just blow poo poo up and get my limbs replaced with better ones.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I'd play anything, preferably something with a mechanicus class :allears:

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I would definitely agree the greatest threat the Tau pose is ideological. They are reasonable, honorable, and xenophobia in the face of the help they can give could result in significant military setbacks against the Stigmartus or Dagon.

But they shouldn't be pushovers either! The Tau have a couple ways of dealing with things like a rampaging Kill-Team. The first and most frequent tool is going to be redirection. There's tons of double-agents throughout the Crusade on both sides, and the Tau also have ways of manipulating the perceptions of machine-spirits. Kill-Teams can find themselves thrown off course, lured away from critical objectives, and facing tough decisions about just which conflicting intelligence reports to believe. Redirection can take more insidious forms, too - the Kill-Team could find itself framed our outed for any real or imagined acts of collaboration with the xenos at any time. Ebongrave himself is paranoid enough to order hits on anyone whose actions he can't predict, even without interference from the Tau.

Even outside the psychological realm, the purely physical threat the Tau pose are going to take two forms, patience or all-out assault. The Tau approach warfare, fundamentally, from a hunting mindset. Depending on the circumstances, including their own disposition and composition, they are likely to try to use a combination of patient traps and aggressive assaults to force favorable engagements - once they get wind of the Kill-Team. Think of fox hunters using extreme mobility to force their prey to run into a trap, or hell even buffalo hunters running their prey off a cliff. Alternatively, the Tau might let the Team come to them, letting them wander into a carefully constructed free fire zone and unleashing a hellacious barrage from a kilometer away.

In either case, the Tau are unlikely to act in a way that's "fair" to the Kill-Team. They will use tricks and deceit to force the Team to waste ammunition, fuel, and other resources. They will create carefully composed traps and spring them on a hair trigger. One of the ways that you as game-master can use them more "fairly" is for the Tau to act forcefully in ways that render the Kill-Team operationally ineffective if not personally dead. That way the Kill-Team can still "lose" without necessarily ending up dead.

When they've been caught flat-footed, they might try to leverage the Team's honor against them, by offering single duels they have no chance of winning to buy time for their comrades.

Ultimately, the Tau are just as likely to attack the mission rather than the operatives. Then, when the Kill-Team is defeated, they might present their ultimatums or attempt to negotiate.

The only time these aloof aliens will act recklessly are when their leaders are truly at risk, at which point discipline and meticulous planning give way to suicidal aggression.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Use superior mobility against them. Attack to draw the Kill-team out, then withdraw as soon as they arrive. If they don't take the bait, then the Tau attack succeeds and there's a massive pressure on them to respond next time. If you can force them to be constantly relocating, always having another crisis halfway across the battlefield to respond to, you can deny them downtime they need to recover and reconsider their tactics. They don't need to be dead to lose.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Also I don't know if the Tau have anything like this already statted, but a Tau sniper team with the pulse equivalent of a long las would be dangerous as hell. You could make that into a neat encounter that's less about killing power and more about just finding the little bastard and closing on him without getting shot or letting him relocate.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
So who wants to ST this behemoth? Let's get an actual tally of who wants to play, and try and set-up a meet at least to discuss settings and any character restrictions, or whatever.

The first step would be probably signing up for Roll20 and opening a game.

Interested:
DreDee2
VanSandman
Babe Magnet
Dirty_Moses
Miruvor
Myself

More than enough people, I think!

Edit: An IRC chat would suffice for set-up.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 19, 2013

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Okay, sounds awesome. Thanks everyone. Play it subtle, force the Space Marines to think outside of the box and deal with an intellectual threat as well as a physical one. As of now, they've only really fought Pathfinders and Stealth Suits, though I think a surprise Auxiliary attack from Kroot, Vespids, and Humans would shake things up before they realize the Tau tricked them into heading to the wrong planet and launched a full fledged invasion just a planet or two away.

But anyway, while I'd love to play pretty much any of the 40k RPG's, I'm already running one in real life and can't see myself running another one. Sorry, but I'll have to be strictly a player if we get something together.

Only War, Black Crusade, and Rogue Trader are probably my favorites though.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I'd play anything, preferably something with a mechanicus class :allears:

I think they all have some sort of admech class. Which is of course awesome.

e: I'm actually running Deathwatch tonight ironically enough, so I can't set up anything just yet. At least nothing voice required. I can dick around textually via laptop no problem.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I think it'd be better in text, honestly.

Edit: Really, it doesn't even have to be Roll20. It would be an AIM conference or Skype for all I care. We can do rolling by the honor system is rollers don't exist for wherever we end up going.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 19, 2013

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Hell, I'd be up for a 40k game of some description. I can't do it on Fridays or Sunday nights, though.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Does anyone here feel comfortable enough being the storyteller for a game? Anybody?

In the event that absolutely NOBODY steps up, I will run an Only War campaign, but be warned it'd be my first game as a ST in WH40k. I've run plenty of World of Darkness (old and new) and D&D games, but never WH40k before. I'm very familiar with the lore, that sort of thing, and would probably need a week or so in order to brush up proper on ALL THE RULES.

If nobody takes the position before the day is out, I begrudgingly will FOR THE EMP'RAH.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 19, 2013

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Firstborn posted:

Does anyone here feel comfortable enough being the storyteller for a game? Anybody?

Two things:

1. Whoever DM's, it's no pressure, really. It isn't so bad, I'll help you out and I'm sure the other players will too.
2. Feel free to run a published adventure path. Doesn't bother me any.

On topic:

What exactly are the changes to combat that Black Crusade and Only War made? I want to utilize them in the earlier games but every time I try to comb through the books in question to look for differences my eyes fog up and my brain gives out.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
If I ran a campaign, the first one would probably be a pre-generated adventure. I hope that'd be okay with everyone. Just to cut my teeth on.

Everytime I've done this, I've always adjusted them in various ways, so it wouldn't be exactly the same, but probably use a lot of the same beats and NPCs and stuff.

Edit: It'll be either Only War or Deathwatch, I'm thinking.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'd be wiling to join but I'm European so there might be some time zone issues.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Can you guys hop on IRC so we can talk about scheduling and stuff?
irc://ircnet/goonhammer

If you don't have it, Chatzilla is an easy one-step add-on to Firefox.

Just join when you can, or send me an e-mail. Again, still looking for an ST, but I will run it if we can't find anyone in a pinch.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 20, 2013

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Dirty_Moses posted:

Two things:

1. Whoever DM's, it's no pressure, really. It isn't so bad, I'll help you out and I'm sure the other players will too.
2. Feel free to run a published adventure path. Doesn't bother me any.

On topic:

What exactly are the changes to combat that Black Crusade and Only War made? I want to utilize them in the earlier games but every time I try to comb through the books in question to look for differences my eyes fog up and my brain gives out.

Off the top of my head.

Several specialized skills were folded into more general ones. You can find a list in any of the core books;

Parry is now a skill;

Righteous Fury lets you roll 1d5 on the critical table instead of adding 1d10 to the damage;

Base attack is +10, so with an aim action you get +20 and a full aim gives you +30;

Semi-Auto gives you a -10 malus to hit, Full Auto is -20 (counting from the base +10). This is to make people make a choice between extra potential damage or precision;

I think a few things have turned into half-actions instead of full ones, but I can't name one right now;

A handful of Talents have changed how they work, but most of them are still the same. Just make sure to double-check them when a player picks one;

The Primitive Trait now has a number rating. Instead of doubling the effects of armor they have a cap on their damage;

Some weapons have tweaked stats, but that's not necessarily contraditory (and you can use the DH/RT tables), just treat those as different models of the guns.

And I think those are all the major changes.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

ZearothK posted:

Base attack is +10, so with an aim action you get +20 and a full aim gives you +30;

Semi-Auto gives you a -10 malus to hit, Full Auto is -20 (counting from the base +10). This is to make people make a choice between extra potential damage or precision;

How does this work in practise in Only War? Do people willingly use full-auto weapons, or is it all about best high damage/pen single shot weapons they can get?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Full auto only works out at being -10 to your BS, and weapons with full auto normally have range enough to remove the problem of range penalties. Then there's a talent for Heavy weapon specialists that allows their comrade to improve their aim, and pinning is more effective with full auto suppression. Pinning can be really important.

Of course, it's not like they have the chance to pick weapons very often anyway. You're a grunt, you get what you're given and have to justify every reload.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug

jammu posted:

How does this work in practise in Only War? Do people willingly use full-auto weapons, or is it all about best high damage/pen single shot weapons they can get?

As I understand it, this definitely helps cut out the complete full-auto spam that was kind of characteristic with the original Dark Heresy rules. The biggest issue remains the balancing between normal weapons and anything with the Accurate quality that can grant up to +2d10 more damage. Haven't really run enough scenarios to see how this works out.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Miruvor posted:

As I understand it, this definitely helps cut out the complete full-auto spam that was kind of characteristic with the original Dark Heresy rules. The biggest issue remains the balancing between normal weapons and anything with the Accurate quality that can grant up to +2d10 more damage. Haven't really run enough scenarios to see how this works out.

It's still quite powerful. Ratlings in Only War or anyone specialized as a sniper in the other games can reliably instakill most opponents, though they are less useful against hordes and the like. This was something already present in the previous iterations, and it's even stronger with the new ruleset.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

goatface posted:

Of course, it's not like they have the chance to pick weapons very often anyway. You're a grunt, you get what you're given and have to justify every reload.

Miruvor posted:

Yeah. I'm more familiar with Rogue trader and it's relatively ease of getting the weapon you want. In our RT-group it is a choice between high-end Full Auto & Plasma/melta/H-Weapon.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

ZearothK posted:

No offense, but I just want to reword this part because I think the way you said it is a little bit confusing.

Single attack gives +10, Semi-auto/Swift Attack has no modifier, and Full Auto/Lightning Attack gives -10.

Aiming for a half round gives +10; devoting a full round to aiming is +20. You can aim any attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ZearothK posted:

You described it correctly, but to avoid confusion- Single shot is +10, Semi-Auto is +0, and Full Auto is -10. Also note that because of the timing changes discussed below, most people can benefit from an extra +10 Aim Half Action that they would not have been able to before.

quote:

I think a few things have turned into half-actions instead of full ones, but I can't name one right now;

A handful of Talents have changed how they work, but most of them are still the same. Just make sure to double-check them when a player picks one;
Important ones would be- semi-auto, full-auto, swift attack, and lightning attack are now all half-actions. And Swift Attack and Lightning Attack function like semi and full auto bursts respectively, with a maximum number of hits equal to your Weapon Skill Bonus. These changes make combat more mobile, melee more appealing, and weapons with full auto not far and away the best choice.

Also, as pointed out the changes to Righteous Fury can potentially make things a bit weird. I like the new system a lot better (fun crits!), but it definitely gives Accurate weapons a huge leg up in terms of dealing damage to hard targets. On the other hand, Only War definitely provides some tools to boost damage- with squad support and Hammer of the Emperor Talents you can pretty easily have your humble Lasgun doing something like three shots that do 1d10+13 before adding any damage from variable power setting.

edit: Note that the Long Las can get the same bonuses and push its damage up to really high numbers too. The point was more that you can get damage values high enough that multiple shots can put on serious hurt if you're not attacking things with aggressively high T+AB values. Things like the Get Them! sweeping order and Mighty Shot effectively get multiplied over the number of your attacks, so if you'd otherwise be at least doing some damage on a hit you can do equivalent/superior damage with semi- or full-auto weapons.

LGD fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 20, 2013