Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Rurik posted:

Funny, this book I read spoke about two Caliphs.

While we risk a derail, you're correct in that two Caliphs were (probably) killed by Ismailis, but both had been deposed and captured (one by Turks, the other fled to Persia) by the time they were killed. I'm not sure that necessarily counts as an assassination. Most of the reputation of the Hashashin sect is played up by modern romanticism and the way the word morphed into assassin in Italian.

Mr.48 posted:

People talk about Logen being a really big guy, but I always understood that to mean that he is tall and very heavily muscled. That drawing on the other hand makes him look like a giant the size of Fenris, which I dont think is right at all.

While I think Logen as big ugly brute works, I hate this 80s D&D Monster Manual look for him.

HeroOfTheRevolution fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Menses at Work posted:

What did you guys move on to after finishing Abercrombie's books? In my eyes, his stuff is 10/10. "Epic fiction" is usually really cringeworthy, and I dread having to dig through a whole bunch of poo poo to find another peanut. How does Scott Lynch compare to Abercrombie?

I think Richard K Morgan's Land Fit for Heroes series is the most similar fantasy to Abercrombie. There's two novels so far, The Steel Remains and The Cold Commands. It's definitely worth reading. http://www.npr.org/books/titles/166488730/the-steel-remains That's a link to an excerpt from The Steel Remains, book 1 in the series.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

dongsbot 9000 posted:

It makes sense that there's over a foot of height difference between Logan and Shy. The picture looks like it's closer to one and a half feet than one foot so Logan's probably pretty tall and Shy's pretty short.

Maybe its the perspective but it looks to like like he would be almost 3 feet taller than her in that drawing if he were to stand up straight.

Edit:
The Book Barn > Say one thing for Joe Abercrombie, say Logen is a big dude.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 18, 2013

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Let's keep in mind that that image is fanart. It's done by a professional artist, but it's still fanart.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 658 days!)

Logen looks like Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler, except bigger and uglier.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Not My Goodies posted:

I was gonna say he looks Kevin Sorbo in Hercules: The Legendary Journeys except all cut to bits, but this is actually a much better description by far.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 658 days!)

Down With People posted:

I was gonna say he looks Kevin Sorbo in Hercules: The Legendary Journeys except all cut to bits, but this is actually a much better description by far.

Oh, and he's pale as gently caress. I know it's silly to complain about but it seems so hard to gently caress up and I'm really irritated that graphic novel Logen is an animu prettyboy with feathered hair.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Not My Goodies posted:

Holy poo poo.

Morgan's fantasy is really interesting, but aggressively confrontational about you trying to get into it. Like, the tone and speech is all wrong (deliberately) and if you think Prince of Thorns is unpleasant then you ain't seen nothing.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Evfedu posted:

Red Country spoiler
[/timg]

That's what Logen looks like in my brain. Dumb sexed up version of Shy though.[/spoiler]

Logen is a little too grotesquely huge for my liking here. He's around 6'6 from what we know, which is huge, but unless Shy is utterly tiny he's a bit too massive there. The face isn't bad, as I look at it closely. In colour it would look pretty good. Now that I recall, I find it funny the Northerners didn't seem to comment on his size much other than being a big guy. They are used to huge tough manly men I guess.

Shy looks nothing like I imagine her.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
That looks like the Bloody-Nine, not Logen, if you know what I mean.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

I always imagined Logen looking like Jared Allen (who's 6'6" 270) but with graying hair and a face covered in scars.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I always imagined Logen looking like Jared Allen (who's 6'6" 270) but with graying hair and a face covered in scars.

Yeah, me too pretty much. Logan always struck me as just a big guy with a ton of mileage. Nothing really unique about his appearance except the missing digit.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Blue Raider posted:

Yeah, me too pretty much. Logan always struck me as just a big guy with a ton of mileage. Nothing really unique about his appearance except the missing digit.
Yeah, he always struck me as something of a Pratchett character - a fairly typical-looking big, old, scarred barbarian with nothing (except the missing finger) that really sticks in your memory. Until you think for a moment about how if a barbarian is THAT old and THAT scarred and still up and around then he's probably someone with that you really don't want to gently caress with.

Isn't a fairly common reaction in the TFL trilogy when people meet him to say "Him? HE'S the legendary Bloody Nine?"?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

FMguru posted:

Yeah, he always struck me as something of a Pratchett character - a fairly typical-looking big, old, scarred barbarian with nothing (except the missing finger) that really sticks in your memory. Until you think for a moment about how if a barbarian is THAT old and THAT scarred and still up and around then he's probably someone with that you really don't want to gently caress with.

Isn't a fairly common reaction in the TFL trilogy when people meet him to say "Him? HE'S the legendary Bloody Nine?"?

I think it is a reasonably common reaction (among Northerners--he looks terrifying to anyone who hasn't seen Northmen before), and certainly this is the image of Logen I tend to carry around in my head.

Hey, did Abercrombie ever "reveal" how Logen lost the finger? Per Abercrombie style, I imagine it would be something really small and insignificant, but it's interesting that it's not revealed and nobody asks (if that is, in fact, the case).

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

onefish posted:

Hey, did Abercrombie ever "reveal" how Logen lost the finger? Per Abercrombie style, I imagine it would be something really small and insignificant, but it's interesting that it's not revealed and nobody asks (if that is, in fact, the case).

The only time I think its been address is in Before They Are Hanged, when they are sitting around the campfire telling stories. If I recall, Logen talks about how he was trying to tear Carleon down with his bare hands and when he woke up, his finger was gone.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For some reason I think I remember a Shanka bit it off, but I don't have the books on me to confirm.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
It gets taken off by a spear in his first battle, it's what he gets Named for.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I think you might be miss-remembering the spear part. Nine Fingers specifically said he went into battle and came out without the finger. He didn't recall how he lost a finger. This sparked the conversation of how he could not remember something like that and he replied that he was run through with a spear during a duel once and didn't notice till the end.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

quote:

For some reason I've always pictured Logen as a bulkier version of Ron Perlman.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I think we've all met guys like Logen in real life. Tall, beefy, ugly, dumb-looking... and surprisingly wise and articulate, well-versed in literature or history or able to make clever turns of phrase or always win arguments. Sometimes they're really smart fuckups, or sometimes life just treated them like poo poo and they did the best they could with the meager resources they had available. Throughout most of history, it meant being a farmer or mercenary. In first-world cases, it means crappy construction/factory jobs. If that means being the funniest guy on the jobsite rather than being a Harvard professor, so be it; it helps stave off the misery of life.

On-topic, though, thirding the Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler look. Scuzzy-looking motherfucker with a surprising amount of depth.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Most of the Northerners in the books are rather thoughtful and introspective (and surprisingly tolerant when it comes to other peoples and religions and cultures) - it's one of the slier aspects of Abercrombie's writing.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Clinton1011 posted:

I think you might be miss-remembering the spear part. Nine Fingers specifically said he went into battle and came out without the finger. He didn't recall how he lost a finger. This sparked the conversation of how he could not remember something like that and he replied that he was run through with a spear during a duel once and didn't notice till the end.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Run through by Harding Grim. His death was the only one that truly affected me emotionally. I know it is a grimdark world where a brutal death is the norm but damned if I wasn't routing for Harding to find a better end.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ganthony posted:

I just finished the Black Company series, two days ago...going to go ahead, and join the chorus of folks suggesting it. If you enjoy Abercrombie, you'll likely enjoy Cook's series. I even really enjoyed the weird directions that it went, once I got over missing the narrator of the first three novels.

The first Tor Omnibus, The Chronicles of The Black Company, is absolutely amazing and could be a stand alone trilogy with a satisfactory ending. After that the books get considerably stranger culminating in some really bizarre stuff that I can't imagine Cooke had planned when he wrote the first. The massive success promoted him to write more, and he's said he plans to continue the series, but it's been quite a while.

The early books were written during the mid '80s, and were the start of dark low fantasy focusing on mortal men in a dark and gritty world. Each successive book strayed further and further until it was completely thematically different.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Regarding that earlier chat about who Ninefingers looks like, I finally figured it out who I imagined him to look like. Mick Foley. Especially this picture just shouts "the Bloody-Nine".

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I'm sticking with Rory McCann, who plays The Hound in Game of Thrones.

Maybe a shave and a more even scar spread, but that's the guy.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Rurik posted:

Regarding that earlier chat about who Ninefingers looks like, I finally figured it out who I imagined him to look like. Mick Foley. Especially this picture just shouts "the Bloody-Nine".

That particular picture also works for Black Dow. As in, that's pretty much exactly how I imagine Black Dow looking.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I thought Black Dow shaved his head?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't know who Black Dow looks like, but in my head he sounds exactly like Al Swearengen from Deadwood.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Fire Safety Doug posted:

I'm sticking with Rory McCann, who plays The Hound in Game of Thrones.

Maybe a shave and a more even scar spread, but that's the guy.

Yup. He's got the acting chops to do it too.

The other Clegane would look the part but he's just a big guy and not a big guy actor.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

I also imagined early 90s WWF when I think of the Northmen so the Dogman is Hulk Hogan, Logen is the Undertaker, and Shivers was one of those new age guys like Triple H

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

docbeard posted:

I don't know who Black Dow looks like, but in my head he sounds exactly like Al Swearengen from Deadwood.

I always pictured him as looking like this guy from that Black Death movie.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I don't know about looks, but Black Dow will always be Northern Irish for me.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Northern Irish?

Yeah, I could see it.

Pierce Brosnan

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
Yeah, Logen is basically Mickey Rourke to me. The character he played in The Wrestler is even a lot like Logen in lots of ways.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

savinhill posted:

I always pictured him as looking like this guy from that Black Death movie.

Don't you think that's pretty unassuming for one of the darkest reputations in the North?

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

This was pretty much my Black Dow. Except plus scars, and minus ear.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Neurosis posted:

Don't you think that's pretty unassuming for one of the darkest reputations in the North?

I always thought Black Dow looked like an average grizzled northman and didn't have his intimidating reputation because of his size or looks, but had it due to his ruthlessness and remorselessness.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
The side of his face is all scares, his ear is missing, he shaves his head and has a habit of grinning at dark poo poo.

I always pictured him as an evil looking fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Clinton1011 posted:

The side of his face is all scares, his ear is missing, he shaves his head and has a habit of grinning at dark poo poo.

I always pictured him as an evil looking fucker.

Huh, I must've totally glossed over whatever description he got in the novels once I had my own version of him established in my head.