Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Upmarket Mango posted:

No, I have the retail version, and yes, I ran the game after patching it before installing the fixer mod and it worked just fine.

quote:

I fixed this error with going to "C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\" and giving the user "everyone" full control.

My best google result, condensed.

Edit: This too

quote:

1.) C:\programdata
2.) Right Click "Package Cache" -> "Properties"
3.) "Security"
4.) Select "Everyone" and then Click "Edit" below it (middle of the window).
5.) Check off "Full Control" under Allow (should check off everything) and click "Apply" > "OK"
6.) Click "OK" again to close the properties window.
7.) Reinstall Visual C++ Redistributable.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I don't have a "C:\ProgramData" folder. I reinstalled Visual C++ before posting here too.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Upmarket Mango posted:

I don't have a "C:\ProgramData" folder. I reinstalled Visual C++ before posting here too.

You need to enable showing hidden files and folders from the folder options in control panel.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Are you sure you installed the right Visual C++ Runtimes?

From the fixer website:

quote:

Make sure you've got the Visual C++ 2012 runtimes (if the application gives an error about 'MSVCRT110.DLL' missing) download here. Note that this 32 bit version is also right for 64 bit operating systems, as the game is a 32 bit executable. This update is required even for Windows 8!

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Ah, I installed Visual C++ 2010. I looked over the fixer website specifically for that info but I guess I still missed it. Thanks fellas, it works now. :)

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

McDowell posted:

What are you talking about? In Area 51 you have a choice of objectives leading to each ending. Button pressing is involved yes, but it was much better than HR where you defeat the boss and just have three buttons to choose.

I'd argue that both of them hosed up because both gave you choices of which ending you wanted, instead of letting your past actions dictate your available endings. This is more forgiving in the first game than the third, but it still would be a good way around the CYOA style endings that derail a character.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Last_Ranger posted:

I'd argue that both of them hosed up because both gave you choices of which ending you wanted, instead of letting your past actions dictate your available endings. This is more forgiving in the first game than the third, but it still would be a good way around the CYOA style endings that derail a character.

If I recall correctly, Warren Spector mentioned how they were torn between not wanting to lock someone into a path before they knew how it'd pan out and, well, not, in the post mortem.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

The Deus Ex: Nihilum mod was just released yesterday. It's set in DX's universe, and comes with full voice acting (and a great soundtrack too) I played it yesterday and really enjoyed my time with it - it's not exactly the same as DX but similar enough that I got crazy-immersed in it. Definitly give it a go if you want more Deus Ex mods (And man voice acting does make a huge difference)

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Time to reinstall Deus Ex... And to get it working at 2560x1440

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Carpet posted:

Time to reinstall Deus Ex... And to get it working at 2560x1440
Get those resolutions? But you were never properly trained in its operation.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

reagan posted:

One of us. One of us! Soon you will be replaying this every few years for the rest of your life.

I've started to do this with Human Revolution, which I'm pretty sure is the best compliment I can give it.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
It's been a while since I've played but how are Page and Simons able to be nano-augmented? The game explains that anyone without compatible genes would die if augmentation were attempted on them. And I somehow doubt Page and Simons just so happen to have the right genes. Did they have to do gene therapy or something?

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !

AHungryRobot posted:

It's been a while since I've played but how are Page and Simons able to be nano-augmented? The game explains that anyone without compatible genes would die if augmentation were attempted on them. And I somehow doubt Page and Simons just so happen to have the right genes. Did they have to do gene therapy or something?

Simons is almost certainly a clone just like Paul and JC, just a slightly different strand of the Agent P series. Agent P is almsot certainly based on Page's DNA. It's not so much that your DNA is tailored to accept nanoaugs, but nanoaugs are tailored to accept your DNA. I may have remembered this wrong, however.

Edit: Added spoiler tags because you never know.

Boogoose fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 30, 2013

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Simons being a clone makes sense, though that still doesn't explain Page's situation. And I don't think the nano augs could be tailored to fit any individuals DNA at that time. That was a major plot point in invisible war: being able to create biomods that could rewrite an individuals DNA so anyone could be augmented with them. If you could could have done that by the time of Deus Ex then you would have expected more of UNATCO's agents to be augmented besides just the Dentons. It would have been expensive, sure, but Page has money to spare.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Boogoose posted:

Simons is almost certainly a clone just like Paul and JC, just a slightly different strand of the Agent P series. Agent P is almsot certainly based on Page's DNA. It's not so much that your DNA is tailored to accept nanoaugs, but nanoaugs are tailored to accept your DNA. I may have remembered this wrong, however.

Edit: Added spoiler tags because you never know.

According to the Deus Ex bible Simons had his immune system replaced to deal with the nanites; which resulted in the facial scarring that he has. When Page goes fully into nanoaugs to prepare for Helios the same thing happens to him.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Oh, I must be getting confused with some other game or film that deals with the same subject then, because I could have sworn that Page hi-jacks the Illuminati's nano projects, stealing formula for the Grey Death and using it to author nano augs and agents based on his own DNA. In the room at area 51 with the clone tanks, isn't Page listed as the DNA source for the empty JC and Paul tanks? The facial scarring I just attributed to the same kind of visibible augmentation JC and Paul have, just a slightly older/more comprehensive setup.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Boogoose posted:

Oh, I must be getting confused with some other game or film that deals with the same subject then, because I could have sworn that In the room at area 51 with the clone tanks, isn't Page listed as the DNA source for the empty JC and Paul tanks?

No, Paul was never A clone. Only JC was, of Paul. Here's the full text for the chamber where you find your tank (ignoring Alex Denton's completely erroneous info considering DX:IW's plotline). Simons and Page both had clones made of themselves should something go awry, apparently.

SUBJECT MJID-0056RQ9872
INCEPT DATE: 11/20/55
ASSIGNED BIRTH DATE: 11/20/33
ASSIGNED BIRTH NAME: Alex Denton
BASE GENETIC SAMPLE: XXXXXXXXXXX7V
PROFILE: AAAAAAA
VITALS: 61/72/0.96/31/1.2

[[[[[STASIS]]]]]

SUBJECT MJID-0003JC0189
INCEPT DATE: 3/17/54
ASSIGNED BIRTH DATE: 3/17/29
ASSIGNED BIRTH NAME: JC Denton
BASE GENETIC SAMPLE: XXXXXXXXXXX7V
PROFILE: AAAAAAB
VITALS: 50/75/0.98/25/1.4

[[[[[EXPUNGED]]]]]

SUBJECT MJID-56730P2809
INCEPT DATE: 2/25/54
ASSIGNED BIRTH DATE: 2/25/34
ASSIGNED BIRTH NAME: Wade Walker
BASE GENETIC SAMPLE: SIMONSWALTON32A
PROFILE: AABCAAB
VITALS: 45/80/0.89/33/1.2

[[[[[STASIS]]]]]

SUBJECT MJID-8392ER9203
INCEPT DATE: 5/13/52
ASSIGNED BIRTH DATE: 5/13/33
ASSIGNED BIRTH NAME: Nick Pausback
BASE GENETIC SAMPLE: PAGEBOB86G
PROFILE: BAABACA
VITALS: 51/72/1.02/20/2.1

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
I think there was an oversight there. In the first conversation with Paul, I think he remarks that JC and Paul Denton are code names, but they were happy to at least have the same fake surname.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The character creation screen has an option for JC's real name, it's just also JC Denton by default. If you change it, Paul will call you by your real first name in emails.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I thought the implication in HR is that Paul was a clone of Adam Jensen?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Paul isn't exactly a clone, but he was created from a tube and birthed from his mother. The research done on Adam made it possible to create babies like that, so it's almost more like Adam is Paul's father.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Momomo posted:

Paul isn't exactly a clone, but he was created from a tube and birthed from his mother. The research done on Adam made it possible to create babies like that, so it's almost more like Adam is Paul's father.

"A son? I never asked for this."

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fuzz posted:

I thought the implication in HR is that Paul was a clone of Adam Jensen?

Paul was already born by the time HR rolls around, he was 9. Whether he was a product of genetic engineering or random happenstance is up for debate since Adam was modified by White Helix, one of the many subsidiaries of Versalife. There's nothing so far from any of the games to indicate that he wasn't just incredibly lucky genetically though. There is some stuff in the DX bible about how many clones were made of Paul besides JC to help further nanoaugs but they were all destroyed prior to your placement at Unatco.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 30, 2013

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
There's also the question of Adam's origins, as I believe at some point in HR you encounter an elderly woman who worked at the gene clinic at which Adam was "treated", and she seems to have some confusion about the year of his birth. Some people just dismissed this as an old woman misremembering, but I just assumed that the baby that was "treated" at the clinic likely died, and Adam was a replacement clone with his genes rejigged to accept augmentation. Whether or not his parents were complicit was another issue.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Momomo posted:

The character creation screen has an option for JC's real name, it's just also JC Denton by default. If you change it, Paul will call you by your real first name in emails.

One of the good things about Deus Ex is that your "real" name is very rarely used, so set it to something really stupid.

You'll forget what you did until about halfway through the game, when you read an email starting "Be on the lookout for JC Denton, aka Chesney Bumflakes..." or whatever.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I recalled from a while ago there were a couple of Deus Ex mods being made and went looking today. Decent timing because 3 days ago one actually got finished.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/nihilum

Downloaded it and the recommended New Vision game augmentation and I'm now ready to give it a go. :clint:
Anyone else seen/played this?

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Humans Among Us posted:

I recalled from a while ago there were a couple of Deus Ex mods being made and went looking today. Decent timing because 3 days ago one actually got finished.

Downloaded it and the recommended New Vision game augmentation and I'm now ready to give it a go. :clint:
Yeah, I bumped the topic with it earlier. It's pretty drat good and worth the time.

Poppleganger
Jul 29, 2004
AR$E

3Romeo posted:

I've started to do this with Human Revolution, which I'm pretty sure is the best compliment I can give it.

I've played HR too many times because I love the atmosphere and all that, but replaying it has made me hyper critical of the flaws. I'm replaying Deus Ex for the first time in a long time-some of the areas are taking me by surprise-and the difference in quality in some aspects is really striking. The writing in DX is yards above HR. the conspiracy unravels in a really organic way; I don't remember as much ambiguity as I'm discovering now, whereas in HR I felt like it was "illuminati bad sarif good". Level design is way better, which is especially obvious when you look at the work in Dishonored which was closer to DX than HR was in terms of design. Levels are smaller but it doesn't matter because there's so much more to the game's length as well as more little secrets to discover.
I think one of the most pleasant things about DX are how well mouse and keyboard work with the UI. If you're comfortable using a PC, it feels very natural and making it feel natural just makes it that much more immersive.
It's an amazing game, and playing it after maybe ten years has just added a new layer to my rose colored lenses. I just got HR for PC so I'm looking forward to trying that next and seeing how it feels vs. PS3.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Deus Ex is still the better game, don't get me wrong. The size and detail of its levels, the amazing amount of reaction to the player, and the combination of augs and skills makes each run a whole new experience. That's what makes it so goddamned replayable (besides being fun as hell).

HR, even though it has its faults (seriously, you get tired real fast of ransacking drawers for candy bars like some fatty with appetite augmentations) is, I think, just about as good as its predecessor. I absolutely love the feel of the game--it feels like a mystery you're unraveling (which it is)--and the amount of work put into the world and the backstory just pulls me in. And it nails the fear and worry of the late 2000's just as well as DX nailed the X-Files/conspiracy feeling of the 1990's.

I kinda waffle on which one I like more. But when I do I just play through both again!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Humans Among Us posted:

My friend made this mod and actually had asked me to lend some voicework to it. Sadly I didn't have the time and the few times I sat down to try to record something, it was way too noisy outside my apartment to get anything usable done. Kinda sad about that, but I'm curious to see how it turned out.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

3Romeo posted:

Deus Ex is still the better game, don't get me wrong. The size and detail of its levels, the amazing amount of reaction to the player, and the combination of augs and skills makes each run a whole new experience. That's what makes it so goddamned replayable (besides being fun as hell).

HR, even though it has its faults (seriously, you get tired real fast of ransacking drawers for candy bars like some fatty with appetite augmentations) is, I think, just about as good as its predecessor. I absolutely love the feel of the game--it feels like a mystery you're unraveling (which it is)--and the amount of work put into the world and the backstory just pulls me in. And it nails the fear and worry of the late 2000's just as well as DX nailed the X-Files/conspiracy feeling of the 1990's.

I kinda waffle on which one I like more. But when I do I just play through both again!

I agree. I love both games to death, and I think HR was a worthy successor. I don't even care which was "better" in any sense; they were both well-written and extremely fun.

It's kind of like the original Star Wars movies. When I was a kid, ROTJ was my favorite. As I got older, ESB took the lead. The only wrong answer to which was greatest is any of the prequels. (Likewise, Invisible War....)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

My friend made this mod and actually had asked me to lend some voicework to it. Sadly I didn't have the time and the few times I sat down to try to record something, it was way too noisy outside my apartment to get anything usable done. Kinda sad about that, but I'm curious to see how it turned out.

Wait, is this the one where they have a cinematic trailer, and the UNATCO boss asks Mad Ingram if he wants something to eat, and he says "No thanks, I had a ham sandwich in the chopper?"

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

Wait, is this the one where they have a cinematic trailer, and the UNATCO boss asks Mad Ingram if he wants something to eat, and he says "No thanks, I had a ham sandwich in the chopper?"

Yup! :allears:

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
That guy likes ham sandwiches as much as Gunther likes his orange soda.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I was dying from laughter at the briefing from the chief and when you keep talking to him he says a bunch of useful stuff but man... There's no dialogue choices at all :(
Kinda bums me out but even tho you don't get to pick your witty remarks, the default talk is still hella funny. And the world the guy made seriously reminds me of HR's downtown. It certainly looks very good.

Ingram asks the chief if he should get to a chopper to get to the mission area and the guy just gets increasingly angrier in speech and basically tells you that they blew the helicopter budget already and you'll be brought there by van. Doesn't stop Ingram from being a smug motherfucker.
After that i was exploring and some vendor mentions he can get you a key to the underground subway or something and you can buy it or trade him an ambrosia vial for it. I walk around and loot some dudes apartment and accidentally find a vial at random. Nice. Then i spend 3 hours getting lost in the city. Still looking for the first contacts in order to start the mission proper but hey.. It looks nice!

E: Ingram sounds like some sort of weird robotic British Arnold Swarzenegger xD

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 31, 2013

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Ingrams voice seems to change slightly with each conversation. Most of the voice acting thus par has been pretty poor, but thats the only real complaint. For an amateur project this is fantastic so far.

Also I just noticed lamp has a mustache. Was that in DE too?

Edit:

And a face on the base. If you look at it as a whole its a robot face with an extending mustache.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I really should get back to playing this. I'm really early on, at the point where I'm at Paul's apartment and have been declared a traitor to Unatco, so I must flee the city. I've defeated the bunch that storms the apartment, but there's a ton of them in the lobby. I've tried fighting them, but it's not very effective, even though Paul comes out to join in the fighting. If I die, I wake up in a cell, so I guess it's not exactly game over. Is it worth trying to kill all the people in the lobby? Will Paul be okay later on if I get caught (killed) in the lobby of the Ton?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I really should get back to playing this. I'm really early on, at the point where I'm at Paul's apartment and have been declared a traitor to Unatco, so I must flee the city. I've defeated the bunch that storms the apartment, but there's a ton of them in the lobby. I've tried fighting them, but it's not very effective, even though Paul comes out to join in the fighting. If I die, I wake up in a cell, so I guess it's not exactly game over. Is it worth trying to kill all the people in the lobby? Will Paul be okay later on if I get caught (killed) in the lobby of the Ton?
Really all you have to do is not leave the window in Paul's apartment and just leave the fighting to Paul. Ironically enough he can defend himself if you stay with him.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 19, 2013

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The only reason to fight your way out and into the streets instead of just smoking 10 packs to suicide into your jail cell is so that you can go to the subway and kill Anna Navarre if you haven't done so already. Just make sure not to leave out the window, whatever you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Like above, you can just die and as long as you don't go out the window Paul will live. But if you want to feel like a badass and take the hotel, there's no reward for it, but after this sequence you're going to have a major change to your inventory, so feel free to burn some resources killing people. Grenades and LAMs are extremely effective here, as are any other weapons that can hit an area (right now that should just be the flamethrower and the GEP, whichever you have). Remember that most of the troops there are going to be carrying assault ammo, so don't be afraid to play this like Quake and just run and gun. Except that, unlike Quake, that might get you killed. It's still fun, though.