Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hiding in his computer closet is the best way to defend Paul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Boogoose posted:

There's also the question of Adam's origins, as I believe at some point in HR you encounter an elderly woman who worked at the gene clinic at which Adam was "treated", and she seems to have some confusion about the year of his birth. Some people just dismissed this as an old woman misremembering, but I just assumed that the baby that was "treated" at the clinic likely died, and Adam was a replacement clone with his genes rejigged to accept augmentation. Whether or not his parents were complicit was another issue.

I got a real Blade Runner vibe from this moment when I first played. There's was a continuity error in the work print of the film where Deckared is corrected regarding how many replicants are left to take out, but the scene happens right after one was killed instead of before, making the "correct" number he tells him off by one, one of the things that made everyone think Deckard was a replicant when this work print was accidentally shown and started off the whole director's cut thing. That was left in in later releases intentionally to make peopel think and Eidos Montreal probably had this specific scene of the movie in mind while setting up that conversation in that it's meant to be vague and you could take it either way with equal authority.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Thanks for the tips.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is it true that every guard in the game will always turn to their left on patrol?

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."
They're not ambi-turners, OK?

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Okay so I'm replaying the game with shifter and biomod installed, and when I get to the point where I have to assassinate Lebedev, I refuse to do so because I'm a moral person, but short of killing Anna the game always credits me with the kill. I know it's a minor bit of detail but I want to hear JC's sassy backchat to Manderley. I'm guessing it's the one of the two mods doing this because I never remember it happening in vanilla. Bug or feature?

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Boogoose posted:

Okay so I'm replaying the game with shifter and biomod installed, and when I get to the point where I have to assassinate Lebedev, I refuse to do so because I'm a moral person, but short of killing Anna the game always credits me with the kill. I know it's a minor bit of detail but I want to hear JC's sassy backchat to Manderley. I'm guessing it's the one of the two mods doing this because I never remember it happening in vanilla. Bug or feature?

I think that's a feature in vanilla - even if you don't actually do it, they frame you for it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Boogoose posted:

It's a bug - Shifter updated to give Navarre a pistol that gibs Lebedev, which gibs him and makes the game assume you killed him. Turn on cheats and enter "set WeaponPistol bFallbackWeapon 1" in the console, which will make Navarre use her other gun, then after that type "set WeaponPistol bFallbackWeapon 0" and you'll be good.

Source.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It's a bug - Shifter updated to give Navarre a pistol that gibs Lebedev, which gibs him and makes the game assume you killed him. Turn on cheats and enter "set WeaponPistol bFallbackWeapon 1" in the console, which will make Navarre use her other gun, then after that type "set WeaponPistol bFallbackWeapon 0" and you'll be good.

Source.

Thanks for the fix, regular internet provided no answers that I could find.

I've gone back to playing what I consider the canonical JC. Platinum hair, strong sense of right and wrong, stealthy. When the game was new I never played it as anything other than a stealth game. I've run through it a couple of times recently as a rifleman murderer and it just seems like the wrong way of playing Deus Ex, even though it's a perfectly servicable shooting game.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
If you're not smacking dudes with just the baton, you're doing it wrong!

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU
What, you guys don't interrogate Lebedev fully, then jump in front of anna's bullets and prod him with the prod until he falls over? That way you can carry him back to UNATCO and toss him outside the fence so he can escape once he gets up. :haw:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
And leave him right next to UNATCO headquarters? The right thing to do is bring him to Tracer Tong's compound where he can finally be safe.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I completely forgot that Invisible War has a whole side plot where you essentially set up a gay borderline illegal three way (how old is Alex?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW18wekJ3jI

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
If the DX timeline is to be believed, he's 25 at the time of IW.

http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

I've tried to get through IW maybe 3 or 4 times. Everytime I start, I get underwhelmed before I clear the second area. I don't expect I'll ever play it. Maybe once I get a solid state drive to eliminate those loading screens completely (or nearly so).

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 24, 2013

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

jojoinnit posted:

I completely forgot that Invisible War has a whole side plot where you essentially set up a gay borderline illegal three way (how old is Alex?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW18wekJ3jI

Everytime I look at screens or videos of IW I always think its aged worse than DX1. Maybe its because i think low poly poo poo is inherently charming

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

eightpole posted:

Everytime I look at screens or videos of IW I always think its aged worse than DX1. Maybe its because i think low poly poo poo is inherently charming

It was an ugly game when it was new. DX1, even if it wasn't pretty, was functional. In IW I always felt like I was struggling to understand the visuals I was looking at; never had that problem in DX1.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

StickySweater posted:

If the DX timeline is to be believed, he's 25 at the time of IW.

http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

I've tried to get through IW maybe 3 or 4 times. Everytime I start, I get underwhelmed before I clear the second area. I don't expect I'll ever play it. Maybe once I get a solid state drive to eliminate those loading screens completely (or nearly so).

Pour all your points into melee upgrades and never look back. The melee combat is fun, and after a couple upgrades you become an unstoppable badass. I don't think I ever even used a gun except to shoot out glass.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Man I forgot just how bad the interface was in Invisible War.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Little Blue Couch posted:

Pour all your points into melee upgrades and never look back. The melee combat is fun, and after a couple upgrades you become an unstoppable badass. I don't think I ever even used a gun except to shoot out glass.

Fun fact: You can put two points into melee strength as soon as you get access to upgrade canisters and get a baton, a fast-firing and powerful melee weapon, before you leave the tutorial area, which horribly breaks the game. There are also enough black market canisters in the first hub to let you max or near max out your melee strength against robots, which gets rid of your only weakness. Basically, you can easily become extremely powerful about halfway into the first hub.

Some points in increased speed and health regeneration, along with a rocket launcher for the power armor guys in the last two hubs, will make you literally unstoppable. You can get everything except the rocket launcher before you enter the modern part of the second hub, meaning you can become an unstoppable god around 1/3 into the game.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
IW's ugliness is even more baffling when you consider that a lot of the game's problems were the result of focusing on lighting and physics and texture models at the expense of everything else.

I love Deus Ex, but I'm dumbfounded that Warren Spector lucked out in making it since everything he's made since then is trash. The way that he's recently tried to spin himself as a "bad boy" of gaming who constantly criticizes the industry that has rejected him makes it even stranger.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

IW's ugliness is even more baffling when you consider that a lot of the game's problems were the result of focusing on lighting and physics and texture models at the expense of everything else.

I love Deus Ex, but I'm dumbfounded that Warren Spector lucked out in making it since everything he's made since then is trash. The way that he's recently tried to spin himself as a "bad boy" of gaming who constantly criticizes the industry that has rejected him makes it even stranger.

The more I read about Deus Ex's development, the more I think the entire game turning out so well was blind luck. There were so many dumb ideas that managed to get worked on, like a moonbase being the final area and an arena battle against Howard Strong. It seems budget and developmental problems forced them to can most of the dumb poo poo, which was a good thing.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

closeted republican posted:

The more I read about Deus Ex's development, the more I think the entire game turning out so well was blind luck. There were so many dumb ideas that managed to get worked on, like a moonbase being the final area and an arena battle against Howard Strong. It seems budget and developmental problems forced them to can most of the dumb poo poo, which was a good thing.

I love the Howard Strong fight because they talk about him in the game as if he's a big deal, even though he was never mentioned at all before your encounter and, despite having a name, drops like any unaugmented enemy.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I watched the a LP of IW and I couldn't believe how bad it looked despite the graphics being modded up so much.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
If you think that the moon base was dumb, I feel bad for you son. :cmon:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Like, Spector just went on some huge tirade about how the games industry is doomed and creativity is dead because nobody would give him 25 million to make a game. The fact that Epic Mickey was a disappointment on all fronts despite having a generous budget and one of the most recognizable characters on earth has nothing to do with it, of course.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

"Everything he's made since then" is, what, DX:IW, Thief: Deadly Shadows, and Epic Mickey? Yeah, that is pretty bad. Credibility-destroying bad for most people.

On the other hand, you're balancing that against:
- Ultima 6, 7, and Martian Dreams
- Ultima Underworld
- Wing Commander 1 and 2
- System Shock
- Thief
- Deus Ex
And while the most recent of those was 13 years ago (holy poo poo, has it really been that long?), a resume like that buys someone a lot of forgiveness. Barring some kind of massive PR shitstorm like Daikatana, Spector will probably be remembered as the living god who made Thief, System Shock, and Deus Ex, not the fool who made Invisible War, Deadly Shadows, and Epic Mickey.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Is Deadly Shadows regarded as being shite then? I thought it was really enjoyable...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Perfect Element posted:

Is Deadly Shadows regarded as being shite then? I thought it was really enjoyable...

It's not as good as T1/2, but it's still good. It's like IW in relation to Deus Ex (and plagued with similar loading issues), only the difference in quality isn't as drastic.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

closeted republican posted:

A moon base sounds like it could have been cool honestly. But the neuromancer parallels would have been as subtle as a jackhammer then.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Well in Neuromancer there wasn't any actual moon bases were there? Just near-Earth orbital habitats

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Deus Ex was all about getting into and undermining powerful conspiracies people have theorized since forever. Is there even 1 popular conspiracy theory about a moon base?
They could hardly end Deus Ex in a better location than Area 51. If you ask me, it's reality that got it wrong by building that data center in Utah. Close, but wrong state, morans.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The underwater base is the moon base, pretty much. They rolled all their assets and designs from the space station into it after the idea was scrapped.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's not as good as T1/2, but it's still good. It's like IW in relation to Deus Ex (and plagued with similar loading issues), only the difference in quality isn't as drastic.

In *some* ways, Deadly Shadows is my favourite of the trilogy - the sandbox/home base elements really added a layer of immersion for me. The funniest moment I have ever had in gaming came during that game totally organically from a combination of a scripted set piece and some hilarious AI, so I remember it very fondly.

I think that, if you can get people to be reasonable, it would be considered "quite good", but it's in the unenviable positions of being compared to The Dark Project (a very good game) and The Metal Age (an absolutely legendary game). It also fell victim to being the only one of the trilogy to be adapted for consoles, and it shows.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

I think that, if you can get people to be reasonable, it would be considered "quite good", but it's in the unenviable positions of being compared to The Dark Project (a very good game) and The Metal Age (an absolutely legendary game). It also fell victim to being the only one of the trilogy to be adapted for consoles, and it shows.

Yeah, totally. It is still a genuinely good game and 100% worth playing through, just to be clear - it also has one of the best levels ever made in video games, Shalebridge Cradle.

Reive
May 21, 2009

I just realized the last time I played DX I turned off the HUD to takes some screenshots, now I don't know how to turn it back on, any help?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Reive posted:

I just realized the last time I played DX I turned off the HUD to takes some screenshots, now I don't know how to turn it back on, any help?

There are keybinds to toggle each of the HUD elements - maybe check which keys are bound to each?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, totally. It is still a genuinely good game and 100% worth playing through, just to be clear - it also has one of the best levels ever made in video games, Shalebridge Cradle.

That level is truly the stuff of nightmares. I don't scare easily but don't enjoy *being* scared as some do, but anyone who has any interest in that type of game but hasn't played that level is doing himself a disservice.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I have a confession to make: I've never played Robbing the Cradle. It's not for lack of trying; I have, at this point, tried to play Thief 3 four times. Each time I've gotten a bit further, but I've never made it further than the start of The Sunken Citadel.

It's just...it's not fun. The sandbox-y intermission area is cool at atmospheric the first time you sneak through, and tedious and boring the fifth (at which point you are probably not sneaking, but running through it with a conga line of screaming guards chasing you because gently caress it, you just want to get this over with and start the next mission). The improved graphics are great, but the cramped levels and frequent loading screens make it hard to enjoy them. And the storyline left me completely uninterested.

After my most recent attempt, I was actually convinced that I no longer enjoyed Thief. Someone convinced me to try T2X: Shadows of the Metal Age, and playing that made me realize, no, I still loving love Thief. I just don't enjoy Deadly Shadows in the slightest.

I have a hard time saying that it's a bad game in its own right, but it's a really hard game to like after playing the first two.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ToxicFrog posted:

I just don't enjoy Deadly Shadows in the slightest.

Fair enough - games are about fun, fun is subjective, and if the player isn't having fun, then the game is simply Not Fun. I also didn't like some of the things that you mentioned, but I think that if Deadly Shadows had been made as it was without the presence of its predecessors, it would have been more favourable received. I have never played 2X, but it seems exactly what a "spiritual sequel" should be... going off in another direction of storytelling while keeping what made its parent game great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Goddamn you guys weren't kidding about IW. I'm one of those poor fools who wants to try to power through it just because of how good the original is, but the game's not making it easy on me - especially the part where every time it loads a new area I have to ctrl+alt+delete, shut down the game, and wait (sometimes several minutes) for a new instance to spontaneously pop back up like nothing happened, at which point it loads the new area. Google says to set the process to only use one core, but apparently Google is wrong because that doesn't seem to do anything. Anybody know a fix? At this rate I won't be able to make myself continue wasting precious minutes of my life on this reportedly-mediocre game, and may be forced to do something constructive with my time.