Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Doodles posted:

Can we shift the discussion to how the Aquabats show is bizarrely awesome? Or "Dan vs.", which isn't really a kid's show but still loving funny?

They're definitely the best shows on The Hub, so small wonder that they're treated like the redheaded stepchildren of the network.
I loved how in this week's Aquabats episode, Jimmy the Robot's backstory was done in the style of the Money for Nothing video. I'm glad it's bizarre in the same way Yo Gabba Gabba is, in that it's a great show for small kids, stoned teenagers, and adults who will get the 25-30-year-old pop culture references alike.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

El Tortuga posted:

Where can I watch Aquabats show online? I don't get The Hub and I know this show is something I'd lose my poo poo over.
The Hub's relatively loose with enforcement rules (for now) so you can find them on YouTube.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

El Tortuga posted:

Where can I watch Aquabats show online? I don't get The Hub and I know this show is something I'd lose my poo poo over.

The first season is on Netflix. Also what Doodles said.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

So I came across this watching cartoons with my kids last weekend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZM64h5T4Lc

This couldn't possibly have been made in the year 2013, right? Like, not only does it look like something that was made about 15 years ago, are there really any kids that could possibly identify enough with Pac-Man to make anyone believe this is a thing that people want? The Pac-Man cartoon barely had legs in the 80s when you could plausibly believe anyone would give a poo poo.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

This couldn't possibly have been made in the year 2013, right? Like, not only does it look like something that was made about 15 years ago, are there really any kids that could possibly identify enough with Pac-Man to make anyone believe this is a thing that people want? The Pac-Man cartoon barely had legs in the 80s when you could plausibly believe anyone would give a poo poo.

There's a new Pac Man game coming out that's a platformer and Namco is trying to pimp that franchise hard.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
It's already been renewed for a second season.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

raditts posted:

It looks like that terrible CGI Garfield show.

Neo Helbeast posted:

There's a new Pac Man game coming out that's a platformer and Namco is trying to pimp that franchise hard.
This can't possibly end well.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Y-Hat posted:

It looks like that terrible CGI Garfield show.

Garfield show wasn't that bad, not as bad as the DTV movies, but it was no Garfield and Friends.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Have you guys seen the previews for the new Mickey shorts? Because they're great. I'm really excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVo0Zl-bOBI

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Occupation posted:

Have you guys seen the previews for the new Mickey shorts? Because they're great. I'm really excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVo0Zl-bOBI

Great news!~

http://video.disney.com/watch/disneychannel-croissant-de-triomphe-4d7b3aae690a98650d776d97

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Are these going to be a regular thing? Because that was both gorgeous and awesome.

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

readingatwork posted:

Are these going to be a regular thing? Because that was both gorgeous and awesome.

Ever since I was a kid I've hated Micky Mouse, but I'll be damned if that doesn't look absolutely amazing. Charming humor mixed with such a gorgeous art style; I really hope it ends up as lovely as it seems it will.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
That's the first time I've been really impressed by a Flash cartoon. The animation is expressively fluid and I love that the detailed hand-drawn backgrounds use a more earthy palette instead of bright colors popping all over the place.

And then there was this, when the goat crashed into Mickey's scooter:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Have those really not started coming out yet? They released the first one back in March.
http://www.slashfilm.com/watch-disneys-new-mickey-mouse-short-film-croissant-de-triomphe/

Neo Helbeast posted:

Is it like those games they put out in the PS1 era? Because those were loving awful. With the exception of Pac-Man Vs. on the Gamecube of course, which for some reason they've refused to make a version for on any other console.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 23, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Heard a conservative radio morning zoo crew my parents listen to talk about Shezow yesterday. It was so dumb. I thought the Hub's shenanigans would manage to stay fairly on the down-low, but no, it's happening. Conservatives will protest the show because it involves gender switching. Liberals will support the show because they'll think it's some sort of really pro-trans show and "gently caress conservatives".

Everybody will overlook the heart of the issue, that being that it is a bad show.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

raditts posted:

Is it like those games they put out in the PS1 era? Because those were loving awful. With the exception of Pac-Man Vs. on the Gamecube of course, which for some reason they've refused to make a version for on any other console.

Probably because:

A) The game wouldn't work without the GBA Link-up, how would it be fair if the Ghosts could see where Pac-Man was or if the entire maze was always uncovered? (Granted with the Wii U there's no excuse as to why there's not a new version of it.)
B) The game was co-developed by Nintendo and had Mario doing voice-over work so there's that too.

I don't see where you're getting at with saying Pac-Man World was awful though, it wasn't the greatest game ever but it wasn't a terrible game by any stretch of the word.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

TwoPair posted:

Everybody will overlook the heart of the issue, that being that it is a bad show.
Well, not everybody. The fact that the show is lousy hasn't escaped folks here. Though I will confess that I'm willing to keep anything around that throws the uber-right into conniptions. The show may suck, but watching the frothing retards on Fox & the like is loving hilarious entertainment.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

superkittenhugs posted:

Ever since I was a kid I've hated Micky Mouse, but I'll be damned if that doesn't look absolutely amazing. Charming humor mixed with such a gorgeous art style; I really hope it ends up as lovely as it seems it will.

Basically in the same boat, but I find if I watch like, 1930s-50s Mickey cartoons I really enjoy them just because they're really charming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCdpEr_WAag
Classic Donald being a dick.

Coincidentally ranked #3 best cartoon of all time (after What's Opera, Doc and Duck Amuck)

e:
this one is also quality:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iaOlMcJvyU

Sockser fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 24, 2013

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

Sockser posted:

Basically in the same boat, but I find if I watch like, 1930s-50s Mickey cartoons I really enjoy them just because they're really charming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCdpEr_WAag
Classic Donald being a dick.

Coincidentally ranked #3 best cartoon of all time (after What's Opera, Doc and Duck Amuck)

e:
this one is also quality:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iaOlMcJvyU

Wow, that first one is especially good. I think my hate of the Mouse is mostly due to the way he has been represented in the past 25 years. I don't like the character design (especially the flesh toned face), and the art style in general is...I'm not really sure how to put it. It reads very young? I mean, you certainly want a cartoon character to appeal to children, but even at age 6 I was like "what is this preschool looking poo poo?". Micky always felt very sanitized, but in the earlier cartoons as well as these recent ones it doesn't seem to have that tone.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

superkittenhugs posted:

Micky always felt very sanitized, but in the earlier cartoons as well as these recent ones it doesn't seem to have that tone.

In his first appearance he was vaguely trying to rape some girl which is why disney's official stance is "plane crazy? what's that!? you mean steamboat willy!?"

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

raditts posted:

Have those really not started coming out yet? They released the first one back in March.
http://www.slashfilm.com/watch-disneys-new-mickey-mouse-short-film-croissant-de-triomphe/

The first one airs Friday night, although Disney has put it up on its website.

ETA: This looks like it will be far better than any of us could have expected it to be. I couldn't stop laughing at NOW I'M IRON MAN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-rKOtImwVw

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 25, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Neo Helbeast posted:

I just don't understand that mindset.

I think that you could push yourself as something to put on IPhones, IPads, Droids, then yeah Pac Man makes sense there.

Upgrading the arcade version for bars could make sense too.

If NAMCO was smart they'd be focusing pretty heavily on those two avenues.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

superkittenhugs posted:

Wow, that first one is especially good. I think my hate of the Mouse is mostly due to the way he has been represented in the past 25 years. I don't like the character design (especially the flesh toned face), and the art style in general is...I'm not really sure how to put it. It reads very young? I mean, you certainly want a cartoon character to appeal to children, but even at age 6 I was like "what is this preschool looking poo poo?". Micky always felt very sanitized, but in the earlier cartoons as well as these recent ones it doesn't seem to have that tone.

...when has Mickey not had a "flesh-toned" face, aside from I guess when he was in black and white? I'm not sure what you're getting at with any of this, because up until like the early 2000s I think most of his appearances have had a lot of character. Especially when you compare that Mickey to the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse version, where he just seems like he's been lobotomized the way nothing stops him from doing everything with a smile and a pleasant demeanor.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Probably because:

A) The game wouldn't work without the GBA Link-up, how would it be fair if the Ghosts could see where Pac-Man was or if the entire maze was always uncovered? (Granted with the Wii U there's no excuse as to why there's not a new version of it.)
B) The game was co-developed by Nintendo and had Mario doing voice-over work so there's that too.

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but in the decade or so since the Gamecube came out there's been this really big popularity boom in online gaming. Unless you're suggesting that it won't work for some reason unless all the players are in the same room. (Also, they did actually put it on the DS in one of the Namco Museum titles, if I remember correctly, but I can't remember if it was local-only or not and I wasn't counting handhelds there as far as consoles go.)

I would assume that they'd be okay to put it on non-Nintendo consoles if they removed the totally unnecessary Mario voice-overs. You'd think they could at least make a networked arcade version, seeing as Namco still seems to make those and has no problem with re-releasing Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, and Galaga every 5 years or so.

Conversely, I want to see a home version of Pac-Man Battle Royale so hard, because lord knows I'm never going to see an arcade version of it in the wild. But I've taken this derail far enough.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

raditts posted:

...when has Mickey not had a "flesh-toned" face, aside from I guess when he was in black and white?

Did you actually watch the two cartoons linked above you (before The Band Concert was removed)? I don't think the more "powder white" facial coloring in those really counts as flesh toned.

Also, while this does kinda continue the derail, it's just a small thing.

raditts posted:

Conversely, I want to see a home version of Pac-Man Battle Royale so hard, because lord knows I'm never going to see an arcade version of it in the wild. But I've taken this derail far enough.

Namco-Bandai is actually going to do that soon, they're planning on releasing the Pac-Man Museum collection through Digital Download services (PSN, XBL, 3DS and WiiU eShop, PC). No actual release date is set on it though.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FuzzySkinner posted:

I just don't understand that mindset.

I think that you could push yourself as something to put on IPhones, IPads, Droids, then yeah Pac Man makes sense there.

Upgrading the arcade version for bars could make sense too.

If NAMCO was smart they'd be focusing pretty heavily on those two avenues.

There is a lot of "vintage arcade licence? easy money" that goes around, it turns out that companies actually aren't just stupid, late 70s/early 80s videogames actually don't sell very well or make any money. All the legacy arcade companies have been trying for at least a decade to figure out a way to make money off owning the most important videogame licences in history and over and over come up with failure every time.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There is a lot of "vintage arcade licence? easy money" that goes around, it turns out that companies actually aren't just stupid, late 70s/early 80s videogames actually don't sell very well or make any money. All the legacy arcade companies have been trying for at least a decade to figure out a way to make money off owning the most important videogame licences in history and over and over come up with failure every time.

Let's make a Pac-man platformer! Nevermind that even Nintendo rarely does 3d platformers anymore, I'm sure ours will be a bestseller.

I could have sworn there's a new one coming out soon in which he terrorizes and devours basically the entire population of an innocent city of ghosts. Looked vaguely sonic-like.

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010

raditts posted:

...when has Mickey not had a "flesh-toned" face, aside from I guess when he was in black and white? I'm not sure what you're getting at with any of this, because up until like the early 2000s I think most of his appearances have had a lot of character. Especially when you compare that Mickey to the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse version, where he just seems like he's been lobotomized the way nothing stops him from doing everything with a smile and a pleasant demeanor.

Volfogg posted:

Did you actually watch the two cartoons linked above you (before The Band Concert was removed)? I don't think the more "powder white" facial coloring in those really counts as flesh toned.

I guess we have differing opinions about what constitutes a lot of character? I mean, I'm not sure what you want me to say. I just don't think he has a personality. Donald Duck is a bit of a dick, Goofy is slow in the brains but has a kind soul, and Micky is....what? I guess he says "Ho ho" a lot? He doesn't even seem to be one dimensional.

Moving on, I decided to give Gravity Falls and Phineas and Ferb a shot due to all the praise surrounding them. I watched the first two episodes of Gravity Falls last night, and I was beyond impressed. The pacing is great and it was genuinely funny (especially the first episode). I don't normally laugh out loud at cartoons, but GF definitely got me more than a few times.

That said, I was really let down by Phineas and Ferb. Now, to be fair I did just pick an episode at random on Youtube, so maybe it was just one of the worse offerings. I can't remember the title, but the first half involved the boys building a roller coaster, and the second part dealt with their sisters birthday at Mt.Rushmore. I found the platypus adorable when he was playing dumb, and there might have been a handful of moments that made me sort of smile. Overall though...it just seemed totally ordinary. Can anyone fill me in on if this episode was just a poor choice to introduce me to the show, or is this just not going to be something I can get into?

Also, the art looked incredibly bad in P&F, almost to the point that I felt like I was watching something someone animated in an afternoon. If there is some sort of intent behind that sort of art direction then I can get behind it; if it's supposed to be from the point of the boys it might make sense for it to look poorly drawn. Even if it does just look like that, I can get past it if the writing is good enough. So yeah, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

superkittenhugs posted:

That said, I was really let down by Phineas and Ferb. Now, to be fair I did just pick an episode at random on Youtube, so maybe it was just one of the worse offerings. I can't remember the title, but the first half involved the boys building a roller coaster, and the second part dealt with their sisters birthday at Mt.Rushmore. I found the platypus adorable when he was playing dumb, and there might have been a handful of moments that made me sort of smile. Overall though...it just seemed totally ordinary. Can anyone fill me in on if this episode was just a poor choice to introduce me to the show, or is this just not going to be something I can get into?

What you watched was the very first episode, so like most shows at that point it's still a bit rough around the edges.

I haven't watched the show in over a year, so I'm sure others can give their suggestions, but mine is It's About Time, if only for how they twist Doofenshmirtz and Perry's nemesis relationship.
Finding Mary McGuffin, Nerds of a Feather, Road Trip, and Dude, We're Getting the Band Back Together! were all pretty good as well.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I know this thread usually trends towards cartoon discussion, but I saw this link about the first official gay couple to appear on a Disney Channel show, and figured it'd be relevant.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Disney-Channel-Same-Sex-Couple-1066972.aspx

Pretty interesting news. Are they the first of the Nick/Cartoon Network/Disney trifecta to have a gay couple appear in any capacity?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Soup du Jour posted:

I know this thread usually trends towards cartoon discussion, but I saw this link about the first official gay couple to appear on a Disney Channel show, and figured it'd be relevant.

Pretty interesting news. Are they the first of the Nick/Cartoon Network/Disney trifecta to have a gay couple appear in any capacity?

Holy poo poo some of the comments

quote:

Regardless of your stance on gay rights, some subjects aren't for children. Homosexuality is reality but so are cigarettes, alcohol, and war.

Disney has the audacity to put families in a situation where kids WILL ask questions but aren't mature enough for the answers. "Why can't I have two mommies?"

:psyduck:

Plus all the ones that are like "those drat libs. disney never would've allowed this" as if they matters

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mr. Fowl posted:

Let's make a Pac-man platformer! Nevermind that even Nintendo rarely does 3d platformers anymore, I'm sure ours will be a bestseller.

I really honestly feel like they know it's dumb, Old arcade properties are a really weird thing a lot of companies struggle with. They are such big deals they don't want them to rot on a shelf but there is literally nothing worth doing with them.

Like, pacman has absolutely massive name recognition and was a cultural phenomenon, but there is almost literally nothing non stupid that could ever be done with him.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Soup du Jour posted:

I think they are the first. My Gym Partner's A Monkey on Cartoon Network was rumored to have "gay tendencies" in season 1 from Jake, the money character, towards Adam, the human character. So, in season 2, it was changed so it wasn't perceived as such.

It was kind of weird though. Everyone constantly asked if Jake was gay and he WAS practically flirting with the human so (even going so far as to being jealous when Adam would go out on a date with a girl stating how he should always put him (Jake) first over a girl).

...That whole show was weird so this is kind of normal compared to the rest of the content. But, like I said, they toned it down considerably in a later season(s).

Disney's the first to actually admit they're lesbian and not hide it though.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think they are the first. My Gym Partner's A Monkey on Cartoon Network was rumored to have "gay tendencies" in season 1 from Jake, the money character, towards Adam, the human character. So, in season 2, it was changed so it wasn't perceived as such.

It was kind of weird though. Everyone constantly asked if Jake was gay and he WAS practically flirting with the human so (even going so far as to being jealous when Adam would go out on a date with a girl stating how he should always put him (Jake) first over a girl).

...That whole show was weird so this is kind of normal compared to the rest of the content. But, like I said, they toned it down considerably in a later season(s).

Disney's the first to actually admit they're lesbian and not hide it though.

There was an episode of that author spin off that buster went around to different families that had lesbian parents. It was banned from air in most markets and possibly never aired again even the places it aired. But it existed!

edit: In January 2005 Margaret Spellings, United States Secretary of Education, criticized the show for exploring same-sex marriage. Episode #33, "Sugartime!", which features Buster visiting Hinesburg, Vermont to learn about the production of maple sugar, includes Buster meeting several children who have lesbian parents. Vermont was one of the first states to legalize civil unions for same-sex couples. In the episode, the word lesbian or homosexual is never said, and the episode — like all Postcards episodes — has no sexual content. Buster meets the children and comments, "Boy, that's a lot of moms!"

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
There was also that Frederator promotional video for an Adventure Time episode that basically stated that Princess Bubblegum and Marceline were in a lesbian relationship (the actual episode said nothing about that).

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Soup du Jour posted:

Now see, this is a lot like She-zow where I want to be like, "oh yeah cool great job guys really paving the way there" but it's such a lovely loving show that I can't bring myself to care at all.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
Since Namco using animation to promote its properties was brought up, mention should be made of their ShiftyLook initiative, which features a number of interesting web comics based on some of their more obscure properties. ShiftyLook recently launched a web series based on their Bravoman comic which is of surprisingly good quality for a webtoon. Although of course not a animated TV series on a kids cable network, I think it's worth mentioning both as a addition to the Namco promotional derail and the fact that it wouldn't be out of place in terms of humor and style on Kids WB in the late '90s. (The fact that Rob Paulsen does most of the voices helps with that.) Here is an amusingly relative sample.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kLPzHha4f0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMn5wlSliEg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xfkMmGB4gM

Soup du Jour posted:

This is probably the first fictional representation. As the article points out, Disney had a real gay couple make a brief appearance in an interstitial about a real-life boy and his love of filmmaking. When introducing himself, the boy quickly introduces his life and "my moms". Much like the aforementioned Postcards from Buster situation that had the Department of Education involved (and, I assume, the upcoming Good Luck Charlie episode), it was very brief and had no mention of the words "gay" or "lesbian", but fueled strong commentary from both sides of the debate, with the gay rights movement calling it a step forward for representation and the opposing side, as usual, blaming the gay agenda or what have you.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Sockser posted:

Now see, this is a lot like She-zow where I want to be like, "oh yeah cool great job guys really paving the way there" but it's such a lovely loving show that I can't bring myself to care at all.

Regardless of the show's quality, it's a progressive step forward. From what the article says it seems like the characters will just be parents who happen to be a lesbian couple. This is good because it'll show children at an early age that same-sex couples are no different from their families, they have play-dates, they have kids of their own, and they engage in story-lines that are devoid of mentioning the fact that they are gay.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Dunno if it been mentioned in the thread, but out of the blue the Disney Movie Club has added the second half of season 2 of Gargoyles!

Season 2 Part 2

Looking, they also added the final episodes of Tail Spin too. Here hoping Darkwing Duck gets the treatment soon.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Has Disney said anything about putting their old cartoons on netflix? I know they signed a deal for movies a while back but it just seems like dusting off Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Tailspin, and whatever would make sense especially since Cartoon Network jumped on that bandwagon with their old cartoons.

I guess I don't understand the point of sitting on Gargoyles and Aladdin forever when all you have to do is send them to netflix and collect a check. You don't even have to market them or produce DVDs or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Has Disney said anything about putting their old cartoons on netflix? I know they signed a deal for movies a while back but it just seems like dusting off Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Tailspin, and whatever would make sense especially since Cartoon Network jumped on that bandwagon with their old cartoons.

I guess I don't understand the point of sitting on Gargoyles and Aladdin forever when all you have to do is send them to netflix and collect a check. You don't even have to market them or produce DVDs or anything.

The bad thing is, the UK Netflix DOES have Ducktales already. Dunno if the others were put up there, but I saw people point that out in the Netflix thread.