Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

This is true for every company regardless of nationality. Bad code isn't dependent on skin color. :colbert:
There's bad poo poo everywhere, but the Japanese are consistently horrible at writing code, and more so at designing UI's. I don't know why, they clearly have there poo poo together in plenty of other fields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

woot fatigue posted:

Yep, I think I'm going to go with the newer, black-knob version of the PC-Nikkor 35/2.8. It's got 11mm of shift and goes to f32 for under $400.

Well under $400. I got mine for $220 and sold it to pseudonordic for the same amount, I think.

edit: it was the black knob version.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

There's a bunch of em on keh right now (although I'm not sure if it's the exact model you're looking for though).

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

woot fatigue posted:

I'd rather spend more than deal with CA issues.

Buy a Leica M Monokrom

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

woot fatigue posted:

What's the consensus on mounting Nikon lenses on Canon? I'm looking at a PC-Nikkor 35/2.8 that gives 8mm of shift...
Anything except non-retrofocus fisheyes will be just fine. And I love some of my Nikon lenses, particularly the 105/2.5...

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 20, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Disclaimer: I'm a programmer at a Japanese company in Japan.

evil_bunnY posted:

Japanese are consistently horrible at writing code

I agree; a lot of Japanese programmers write spaghetti code and have no idea what style is, or good project management practices, or anything like that. Many of them are also not anywhere near up-to-date on current packages/libraries and like to use random things (PukiWiki, CentOS, Python 2.3) that hardly anyone else uses anywhere.

"If it works, don't fix it" is a pretty Japanese philosophy. You make something and if it works you never touch it again and do everything you can possibly do to avoid ever touching it again.

evil_bunnY posted:

the Japanese are consistently horrible at . . . at designing UI's. I don't know why, they clearly have there poo poo together in plenty of other fields.

Japanese UI design is... strange. It's often oriented at Japanese people.

In software, the prevailing philosophies I've seen are "users don't want to see a lot of stuff" and "users want to be told exactly what to do," which gets you these weird, limited interfaces with limited options and bullshit clicking everywhere to get anywhere, rather than a big list of options or whatever. I'm sure it's different in other places, but the domestic software for domestic audiences that I've seen is absolutely terrible because of that -- a great example would be the ISP setup stuff and router configurations here... or domestic cell phone stuff.

Fake edit: I just noticed that I'm not in the programming thread. Oops.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

Well under $400. I got mine for $220 and sold it to pseudonordic for the same amount, I think.

edit: it was the black knob version.

Can you ask for it back and I'll give you $300 for it? Beards & Hats wants $400 for the black knob version

Edit: Found a couple cheaper at Adorama.

Mr. Despair posted:

There's a bunch of em on keh right now (although I'm not sure if it's the exact model you're looking for though).

That's where I first looked, and the prices are tempting, but they're all the older silver knob version which has a different optical design (8 elements vs 7 in the newer version).

fivre posted:

Buy a Leica M Monokrom

I've never been tempted by the Leica bug. I'd be all for a monochrome Canon or MF back. I've been wanting to shoot black and white again but it feels so dirty throwing away 1/3rd of the resolution on an RGB sensor.

woot fatigue fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 19, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

woot fatigue posted:

Can you ask for it back and I'll give you $300 for it? Beards & Hats wants $400 for the black knob version

Edit: Found a couple cheaper at Adorama.

That's where I first looked, and the prices are tempting, but they're all the older silver knob version which has a different optical design (8 elements vs 7 in the newer version).

I've never been tempted by the Leica bug. I'd be all for a monochrome Canon or MF back. I've been wanting to shoot black and white again but it feels so dirty throwing away 1/3rd of the resolution on an RGB sensor.

Have you considered buying a sigma. SD1 would give you ~15 real megapixels of black and white :science:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

woot fatigue posted:

What's the consensus on mounting Nikon lenses on Canon? I'm looking at a PC-Nikkor 35/2.8 that gives 8mm of shift...

I have the 35 F/2.8 PC-Nikkor shift and have used it a few times on my 5D3. It's awesome once you stop it down. Got it from MrBlandAverage!

Edit: confirming black knob.

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 20, 2013

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

pseudonordic posted:

I have the 35 F/2.8 Nikkor-PC shift and have used it a few times on my 5D3. It's awesome once you stop it down. Got it from MrBlandAverage!

Edit: confirming black knob.

It's getting hot in here with all this talk about black knobs.

So what do you mean in terms of stopping down? Is it good around 5.6-11?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

woot fatigue posted:

It's getting hot in here with all this talk about black knobs.

So what do you mean in terms of stopping down? Is it good around 5.6-11?

I tend to stop down to F/8 or F/11 as I've mostly used it for landscapes and architecture. I also got a Hoya 400x 9-stop ND filter for it.

Here are some samples: http://imgur.com/a/ODIKj

First image is two exposures, one with the lens shifted 11mm left and one shifted 11mm right. It will shift up to 11mm only on the long axis of the shot. Short axis can shift 8mm without vignetting and the two 30 degree stops in between the cardinal directions can do 7mm of shift before it vignetting.

Second image is a 10s exposure with the Hoya filter on the lens.

Pretty sure I stopped it down to F/11 for both shots.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Thanks a whole lot, guys. Just ordered a 35/3.5 and adapter. Of course this is a test step to see if I like the focal length enough to get the sigma.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

torgeaux posted:

Thanks a whole lot, guys. Just ordered a 35/3.5 and adapter. Of course this is a test step to see if I like the focal length enough to get the sigma.

I'm still full-steam ahead getting the Sigma in August for my birthday. :catdrugs:

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

torgeaux posted:

For a moment I thought you were referring to the PC-Nikkor and refreshed the Adorama used page in a panic.

@psuedonoraidakic - Thanks! Those shots look great.

woot fatigue fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 20, 2013

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Just bought my first full frame camera, a used 5D (mk1? classic?).

Here is a cat picture:

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

5D OG

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
well poo poo guys maybe I need a 35 now

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
How long does it normally take for Canon to put bodies on their refurb program? I really want a cheaper 6D.

wanghammer
Mar 24, 2001
DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH COCK I HAD TO SUCK TO GET THIS CUSTOM TITLE? A LOT!

mAlfunkti0n posted:

How long does it normally take for Canon to put bodies on their refurb program? I really want a cheaper 6D.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140989457252

Apparently this is a reputable store.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Yeah, I am just hoping for a refurb in Canon for cheaper .. it probably won't happen, but I CAN DREAM CANT I?

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009

That's where I got my 6D. It's cheap because it's actually a 6D + 24-105 f/4 kit with the lens removed.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

Instrumedley posted:

That's where I got my 6D. It's cheap because it's actually a 6D + 24-105 f/4 kit with the lens removed.

How does this affect the warranty? I know when I got my rebel years ago the shady rear end company that sold it to me pulled this and there was no warranty card. When I complained they told me that I would have to get it "warrantied through them."

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Inf posted:

How does this affect the warranty? I know when I got my rebel years ago the shady rear end company that sold it to me pulled this and there was no warranty card. When I complained they told me that I would have to get it "warrantied through them."

As long as the warranty card for the body itself is still present it shouldn't affect it at all. The card being missing is the problem. They held your poo poo hostage.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Per admin suggestion, I'm cross-posting this from the My First DSLR thread.

quote:

I am interested in getting into photography beyond my old P&S camera. Looks like Canon has a refurbished Canon T3i with a 18-55mm IS lens kit for $394, which is looking very appealing. Any thoughts on that price and bundle?

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-rebel-t3i-ef-s-18-55mm-is-ii-lens-kit-refurbished

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Hughmoris posted:

Per admin suggestion, I'm cross-posting this from the My First DSLR thread.

I see a current bids on ebay on a non-refurbised, used T3i with kit lens for around the same price. Pull the trigger. What you have is a good deal considering it's also refurbished.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
That's a great deal.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's a great beginner kit if you're comfortable with the handle shape of canons.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
That's what I have. Great kit for a beginner/broke person.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
GOD. loving. DAMNIT.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-7...=item5657813681

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Can't imagine those 261 that sold were around long at that price.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
^^^Those went fast.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
There were a couple dozen left when I looked, hence my dilemma. Eh, what do I care, I'm saving up money for a 5dm3 anyways.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

gently caress me, the Autofocus on the Mk 3 really owns

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
What have I done ... I sold my Tamron and 40D this week.

And spent way too much money this morning and bought a 6D off eBay. My wallet feels so much lighter now. :(

Fart Car '97 posted:

gently caress me, the Autofocus on the Mk 3 really owns

It better be at over $3000.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 27, 2013

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

mAlfunkti0n posted:

What have I done ... I sold my Tamron and 40D this week.

And spent way too much money this morning and bought a 6D off eBay. My wallet feels so much lighter now. :(

It better be at over $3000.

Factoring in the discounts I got along with the value of the lens, my 5d3 body cost me closer to $2300.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

bobfather posted:

Factoring in the discounts I got along with the value of the lens, my 5d3 body cost me closer to $2300.

Where?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Amazon.com, last December.

The price worked out to:

$3299 for body + lens
-$750 (if you wanted) by selling the lens
-$120 by buying $600 of Amazon gift cards at 20% off via a special promotion at a local grocery store
-$65 for 2% Amazon rewards offered at the time
-$135 in credit card cashback (5% cashback on $2699, which was the total price after applying the $600 in discounted gift cards)

Now that I'm redoing the math I paid $2229 for the 5d3 body if I had chosen to sell the 24-105 (I didn't).

bobfather fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 27, 2013

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
If the refurbished ones ever go for 20% off again, they will also be about $2300.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

bobfather posted:

Amazon.com, last December.

The price worked out to:

$3299 for body + lens
-$750 (if you wanted) by selling the lens
-$120 by buying $600 of Amazon gift cards at 20% off via a special promotion at a local grocery store
-$65 for 2% Amazon rewards offered at the time
-$135 in credit card cashback (5% cashback on $2699, which was the total price after applying the $600 in discounted gift cards)

Now that I'm redoing the math I paid $2229 for the 5d3 body if I had chosen to sell the 24-105 (I didn't).

Now that's some smart shopping there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Don't know how reputable this place is (the ad appeared in my gmail sidebar), but this place is selling them for a bit over $2300:

http://www.rythercamera.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=42083&gclid=CMCLuY3zhLgCFQik4AodlUgAHg