Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Squidster posted:

Who's the artist? That's fantastically colourful and lively.
That is the phenomenal art team Gurihiru. The fact that they are not at the helm of an A-list ongoing is Exhibit A in the case against the modern American comics industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Choco1980 posted:

I love how the Richards kids don't even blink at Ben crashing through the wall while they eat lunch.

I like how they actually look like kids.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So...what's that book?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

DarkCrawler posted:

So...what's that book?

It is the backup story in the otherwise terrible "World War Hulks: Captain America vs. Wolverine" from the equally terrible World War Hulks crossover event, as penned by our own Hyperactive.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

I love this but I can't help but noticing that Johnny just disappeared into the wall between the first two panels.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Nilbop posted:

I love this but I can't help but noticing that Johnny just disappeared into the wall between the first two panels.

I would assume he flew out the open window you can see a few panels down behind Sue. So he turned and flamed on out of there.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hyperactive posted:

That is the phenomenal art team Gurihiru. The fact that they are not at the helm of an A-list ongoing is Exhibit A in the case against the modern American comics industry.

They're the guys who did those Power Pack minis, right? Then yeah, it's a drat crime that there's not more of their stuff out there.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Endless Mike posted:

I like how they actually look like kids.

Pretty much Gurihiru and Sana Takeda are the only ones who actually draw kids as kids and not really small adults.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

TwoPair posted:

They're the guys who did those Power Pack minis, right? Then yeah, it's a drat crime that there's not more of their stuff out there.

They're currently doing the art on Dark Horses' Avatar: The Last Airbender sequel minis; The Promise and The Search.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

TwoPair posted:

The ladies. But yes.

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???
The Funny Panels thread is on something of a Taskmaster roll at the moment and it reminded me to post this but this doesn't quite belong there. Avengers: The Initiative #13, for a criminal Taskmaster is something of a softy. Basically, the large guy is Butterball, a new Initiative recruit that Taskmaster has been doing his best impersonation of R. Lee Ermey only to be stymied at every turn by Butterball's invulnerability. However, when a bunch of C-list villains show up to kill Taskmaster he ends up pitching in during the fight only to be captured but at the same time giving a bunch of other Initiative members the chance to blast them and him both, leading to the villains running away. Afterwards, this happens:

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Butterball's pose in that picture really makes it for me. His confidence has just been shattered by his heroes, but the villains put him on top of the world.
That issue is really gets me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I want a Taskmaster/Constrictor buddy book right the gently caress now.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Written by Fraction, art by Aja. Those two got the touch, son.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
The photographic reflexes train keeps on rolling! (I guess it's kinda transparent who my favorite Marvel character is :v:)

I kind of want to post the fight with Redshirt from Taskmaster #4, but that'd pretty much spoil Unthinkable for anybody who wanted to read it (because it's not as much of an "oh my god :smith:" moment without context). I'm paralyzed by indecision. :(

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
Please go out and buy X-Men: Legacy. It's the best comic and it needs your love.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm with her on that last panel.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Rhyno posted:

I want a Taskmaster/Constrictor buddy book right the gently caress now.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Written by Fraction, art by Aja. Those two got the touch, son.

Get them in a crew with MACH V, Shocker, and Fixer(somehow), and you've got my $5 every month. Call it "Bro Team."

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

SynthOrange posted:

I'm with her on that last panel.

How do you mean?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

The reaction of "what?". I am also with her there

I would say it sounds more like crazy stalker talk than either
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

poly and open-minded fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 20, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Cabbit posted:

How do you mean?

I'm guessing he means in the sense of "That... that doesn't sound like a superhero declaration of love, David, that sounds like a supervillain declaration of love, what the hell are you talking about?" That's my guess.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
She thought he was breaking up because the challenges they face were too big. He's saying, "You don't get it, that just means the obstacles we have to overcome are just that much bigger." They're two teenagers in love - poo poo gets overly dramatic at times, yo.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Then the restraining orders come in

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lars Blitzer posted:

Get them in a crew with MACH V, Shocker, and Fixer(somehow), and you've got my $5 every month. Call it "Bro Team."

I think something with lightning... or thunder would have a better ring to it...

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Gaz-L posted:

I think something with lightning... or thunder would have a better ring to it...

Thunderbros.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Mister Roboto posted:

Thunderbros.

Thunderbrolts!

still not quite right...

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Lars Blitzer posted:

Throw in Bullseye, Juggernaut, and Deadpool. Deadpool has great chemistry with Bullseye and Taskmaster and I miss Identity Disc.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

Throw in Bullseye, Juggernaut, and Deadpool. Deadpool has great chemistry with Bullseye and Taskmaster and I miss Identity Disc.

They could be subcontractors of Heroes For Hire: Dirty Deeds, Done Dirt Cheap or something.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Lars Blitzer posted:

They could be subcontractors of Heroes For Hire: Dirty Deeds, Done Dirt Cheap or something.

Pfft, with those guys? More like Dirty Deeds, Done Quite Expensively.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

I suppose. And having them do jobs to "Earn their redemption" or something would just put it back into Thunderbolts territory, never mind blackmailing or otherwise coercing them. DC fanboys would be howling about the Suicide Squad ripoff before the first issue hits the stands.

It really is a shame because I enjoyed the riffs on Ocean's 11 and The Usual Suspects Marvel did. I also followed Villains United/Secret Six, so I suppose I'm into bad guys or former bad guys trying to do good.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
From a April 1950 PSA in a Superman Issue
Truth, Justice, and The American Way.
http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/topic/17533/KNOW-YOUR-PUBLIC-SERVICE-ANNOUNCEMENT-ADS#.UdG7DPnVAWZ

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 2, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

gfanikf posted:

From an April 1950 PSA in a Superman Issue
http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/topic/17533/KNOW-YOUR-PUBLIC-SERVICE-ANNOUNCEMENT-ADS#.UdG7DPnVAWZ

Nineteen fifty-two.

The worst part is, I'm pretty sure DC got a lot of hate mail about that page.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
Superman will have brotherhood or by god he will dig up the bodies of your forefathers and show you all that in the grave you all look the same.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Colon V posted:

Nineteen fifty-two.

The worst part is, I'm pretty sure DC got a lot of hate mail about that page.
Even more so since directly points out the sacrifices of American war veterans, which makes any hate mail it generated even more odious.

I really do like it though, nicely done, and the message is something really in line with Superman's own philosophy vs Superman gives a lecture on farm safety.

Awesome Andy posted:

Superman will have brotherhood or by god he will dig up the bodies of your forefathers and show you all that in the grave you all look the same.

A bit blunt perhaps, but sometimes it's what's needed.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 1, 2013

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

gfanikf posted:

I really do like it though, nicely done, and the message is something really in line with Superman's own philosophy vs Superman gives a lecture on farm safety.

Hey, it's not like he isn't qualified to talk about farms. Really, you've inspired me to think of a one-shot where Superman illustrates safety on the farm and in other highly-dangerous industries a la Staplerfahrer Klaus, except instead of him getting wrecked the equipment does. He regrows the super-mullet and doesn't tie it back when working near an industrial fan, wears loose-fitting clothing working a table saw, forgets to disconnect the power to a lawnmower while cleaning it, and so forth.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ManiacClown posted:

Hey, it's not like he isn't qualified to talk about farms.

Gah, of all the better examples I could have picked, why did I use farm! Okay lets say Superman teaching STD stuff.

quote:

Really, you've inspired me to think of a one-shot where Superman illustrates safety on the farm and in other highly-dangerous industries a la Staplerfahrer Klaus, except instead of him getting wrecked the equipment does. He regrows the super-mullet and doesn't tie it back when working near an industrial fan, wears loose-fitting clothing working a table saw, forgets to disconnect the power to a lawnmower while cleaning it, and so forth.
That would be awesome, but don't forget Shake Hands with Danger either!

I just want to add that people should take a look at the PSA pages, lots of really neat ones.
Title for this one does give a person an unintended chuckle though.

Mental Health and PTSD in 1952

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 1, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

gfanikf posted:

I... wait a second, is this thing saying that Jimmy Olsen was at Iwo Jima?!?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
That's far too nice a suit for Jimmy Olsen.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Who do you think took the picture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

gfanikf posted:

I was kind of confused for a second by the wording in one of those panels and thought Superman brought back the ghost of the racist kid's brother. Maybe he did considering how surprised racist kid is to see his brother.