Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Just ordered a jet kit, longer shifter, 47t sprocket, case savers and a steel brake line for the front. Planning on doing the 3x3 mod too. This DRZ is gonna transform! Very excited for the power boost, the PO just slapped a FMF pipe on there and called it a day, so the thing is pretty anemic and backfires everywhere. Wheelies take an armful of throttle in second gear while traveling about 10mph to get up, so it definitely could get more juice going. Also the front brake pretty much takes a whole hand to do an emergency brake, so endos are off the table at the current set up.

Also, does anybody have any suspension advice for a 150lb rider? I've been doing some jumps and noticed the bike wants to endo like a goddamn horse. What can I change to fix that? I made sure the suspension was totally stock, and the sag is actually within spec (3-4 inches). Should I just stiffen the compression rebound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
More preload and blip throttle in the air to bring the back wheel down. Position your weight farther back, too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

More throttle on jumps once you're in the air, since you're like the perfect weight for stock drz suspension.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
I'm sure I'll regret it, but not unlike Z3n's issue selling the best bikes ever I'm seriously considering selling my 2009 690smc. Located in central Iowa, bike has been outstanding but I'm in the middle of a 'motorcycle reset'. Has around 4300 miles but still currently riding it. If anyone is interested shoot me a pm.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

More throttle on jumps once you're in the air, since you're like the perfect weight for stock drz suspension.

Diggin' the new avatar.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Also, does anybody have any suspension advice for a 150lb rider? I've been doing some jumps and noticed the bike wants to endo like a goddamn horse. What can I change to fix that? I made sure the suspension was totally stock, and the sag is actually within spec (3-4 inches). Should I just stiffen the compression rebound?

Be on the gas off the jumps.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Do you have any daughters? You could try to trow them in the pot as well and hope he goes for it.

God I want a SMR. Gonna have to wait until next year at the earliest to make that happen though.

No children fortunately (unfortunately in this case?) :)

I cruised over to check the SM-R out tonight. It's in fantastic shape. The owner is a super cool older guy with a handful of other bikes sitting around in various states - apparently he restores them. Several old Harleys and he mentioned a Speed Triple. He obviously is an enthusiast and mechanical dude, which while wonderful in relation to the shape of the 690 unfortunately meant that he chuckled politely at my $5500 cash I had brought along. "I don't need to sell it, I'm just makin' room!"

Damnit. What do you guys think on his asking price of $6500? It's a 2007 w/8800miles, very clean. It's only been listed two days, so there might be wiggle room if it lasts longer but yeah.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Eh I'd pass. 6500 is SMC money. SM-R isn't as nice as the SMC.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Z3n posted:

For the uninformed, what are the differences?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Smc has more power due to a larger airbox from the underseat gas tank. It's also ~30 pounds lighter.

Oh and better, longer travel suspension, iirc.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 15, 2013

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

OK I need help because my brain is fried. I was putting a jet kit in my '09 KLX250, and after installation the bike won't idle. I took the carb off/apart again to see if the pilot jet was clear, and I could see through it. I replaced the needle with the Dynojet piece, with the clip and washers set where they called for in the instructions. I am using the recommended size main jet and stock pilot for my application. Why won't this loving thing idle? I spent 5 hours on this damned project tonight including a second tear-down and re-install.

I will definitely pull the carb again but what should I look for? Pilot could def. have crud in it even though I checked it earlier, and check diaphragm? Soak the pilot in cleaner? I

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 16, 2013

npn
Mar 7, 2006

Imperador do Brasil posted:

OK I need help because my brain is fried. I was putting a jet kit in my '09 KLX250, and after installation the bike won't idle. I took the carb off/apart again to see if the pilot jet was clear, and I could see through it. I replaced the needle with the Dynojet piece, with the clip and washers set where they called for in the instructions. I am using the recommended size main jet and stock pilot for my application. Why won't this loving thing idle? I spent 5 hours on this damned project tonight including a second tear-down and re-install.

I will definitely pull the carb again but what should I look for? Pilot could def. have crud in it even though I checked it earlier, and check diaphragm? Soak the pilot in cleaner? I
Did you adjust the air screw? You have to remove a little plastic cap on the bottom of the carb to get at it.

Screw it all the way in then 2.5 turns back out is the normal setting on KLX250's with the snorkel out and after market exhaust. There's a thread in here somewhere with a spreadsheet full of settings that have worked with various setups.

I'd also check you don't have any air leaks - make sure the inlet manifold and airbox rubbers are properly seated on the carb and the other end as they're easy to mess up.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

npn posted:

Did you adjust the air screw? You have to remove a little plastic cap on the bottom of the carb to get at it.

Screw it all the way in then 2.5 turns back out is the normal setting on KLX250's with the snorkel out and after market exhaust. There's a thread in here somewhere with a spreadsheet full of settings that have worked with various setups.

I'd also check you don't have any air leaks - make sure the inlet manifold and airbox rubbers are properly seated on the carb and the other end as they're easy to mess up.

Yeah I took the air mix cap off and adjusted it. I jetted it according to Dynojet and the KLX threads on ADVRider and the Kawasaki Forums. After sleeping on it I think maybe the pilot jet is still too restricted with dirt and/or a possible air leak. I double- and triple-checked the boots, but it was late and I was tired. I will take a couple of days off to reflect before I go back to it...

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

needknees posted:

I'm sure I'll regret it, but not unlike Z3n's issue selling the best bikes ever I'm seriously considering selling my 2009 690smc. Located in central Iowa, bike has been outstanding but I'm in the middle of a 'motorcycle reset'. Has around 4300 miles but still currently riding it. If anyone is interested shoot me a pm.

PM Sent.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

What do you guys think on his asking price of $6500? It's a 2007 w/8800miles, very clean. It's only been listed two days, so there might be wiggle room if it lasts longer but yeah.

Z3n posted:

So the seller called me today and said he'd let it go for $6000; he's "tired of people offering him refrigerators and you seem like a responsible rider"

Getting warmer? Let him sit a day and offer 5750?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You have a chance to test ride it? It's up to how much you like the bike as to if that's worth it.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
I need help learning to back it in :(

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

invision posted:

I have to dismount first.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

So the seller called me today and said he'd let it go for $6000; he's "tired of people offering him refrigerators and you seem like a responsible rider"

Getting warmer? Let him sit a day and offer 5750?

I feel dumb for paying $6800 for my '09 530 EXC. At the time it seemed worth it and I love riding it a lot but sometimes (when I'm not riding it) I regret paying the price.

edit:

invision posted:

Don't afraiding to drop it.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Did a bunch of wheelie practice today, I've been popping them up pretty good and have been trying to hold them longer. At a certain point though I start losing my confidence though, like I've risked enough for today and don't give it enough juice and have lovely BP. Also learned I pop them up much better without the double revs, just rev pop and go, though it's scary to commit. Also tried my first stoppie on grass (50-50 tires) a couple days ago. It did not go well, though I learned locking the front tire is not necessarily a catastrophe, which is nice.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

invision posted:

45mph, pull in the clutch and get hard on the front brake, down shift twice, dump the clutch(feather it out if you don't have a slipper clutch). The rear end should break loose and waggle around a bit. Now do it again with a little lean angle and you'll be backing it in like a pro*

*This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Did a bunch of wheelie practice today, I've been popping them up pretty good and have been trying to hold them longer. At a certain point though I start losing my confidence though, like I've risked enough for today and don't give it enough juice and have lovely BP. Also learned I pop them up much better without the double revs, just rev pop and go, though it's scary to commit. Also tried my first stoppie on grass (50-50 tires) a couple days ago. It did not go well, though I learned locking the front tire is not necessarily a catastrophe, which is nice.

Yeah I was the same way...I'd lose confidence and don't want to wheelie anymore because they're scary and you don't want it bad enough anymore. Eventually though, they stop being scary and you can wheelie all the time!

I used to get stressed out at work and end the day by going to a deserted stretch of road and wheelieing around for 30-45 minutes. I knew I was getting good when I nearly ran myself out of gas because the trip said I was only getting 16 miles to the tank.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

Yeah I was the same way...I'd lose confidence and don't want to wheelie anymore because they're scary and you don't want it bad enough anymore. Eventually though, they stop being scary and you can wheelie all the time!

You hit it right on the head.

quote:

I used to get stressed out at work and end the day by going to a deserted stretch of road and wheelieing around for 30-45 minutes. I knew I was getting good when I nearly ran myself out of gas because the trip said I was only getting 16 miles to the tank.

Ha! that's awesome.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Zool posted:

45mph, pull in the clutch and get hard on the front brake, down shift twice, dump the clutch(feather it out if you don't have a slipper clutch). The rear end should break loose and waggle around a bit. Now do it again with a little lean angle and you'll be backing it in like a pro*

*This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.

Bolding this for importance. If you have a regular clutch, don't let it out all the way or you'll lock up the rear wheel and die a painful death*. If you have a slipper clutch just go for gold, they're like back-it-in cheat-mode.

*Death not guaranteed, actual amount of pain may vary.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
A little wheel hop never hurt never killed isn't that big a deal, as long as you're upright.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Backing it out on-throttle out of corners is how the pros do it :dukedog:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I now own an MZ Baghira Black Panther.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I don't think anyone in this thread can actually back a bike in. Requesting video evidence of anyone in here actually doing it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

n8r posted:

I now own an MZ Baghira Black Panther.

Nice, spent a good deal of time on one of those. They're big but they're bulletproof.

I dont back it in because I'm a street rider and its pointless.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

n8r posted:

I don't think anyone in this thread can actually back a bike in. Requesting video evidence of anyone in here actually doing it.

Oh snap :cmon:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Yeah, I gently caress around and will downshift two and drop the clutch but on the DRZ all you get is the back end to wag all around. There's no loving way I trust city streets to be clean / safe enough to actually lean it in. It also helps to have a bike that weighs 40 pounds less that is also equipped with a slipper clutch and 20 more hp.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Adding the last few posts to shitty_excuses.txt

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

n8r posted:

Adding the last few posts to shitty_excuses.txt

For some reason your link to you backing it in isn't showing up in your posts. I'll check my Youtube settings, maybe it's just not appearing correctly.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

This thread seems to be a cesspool of people claiming to 'hoon' and 'back it in' yet I see nothing other than text in here. I make no claims about my riding ability - feel free to check my post history.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

JP Money posted:

Yeah, I gently caress around and will downshift two and drop the clutch but on the DRZ all you get is the back end to wag all around. There's no loving way I trust city streets to be clean / safe enough to actually lean it in. It also helps to have a bike that weighs 40 pounds less that is also equipped with a slipper clutch and 20 more hp.

Wait I'm a little confused, I haven't ridden a sumo in about 5 years but wouldn't a slipper clutch make it harder or impossible to spin the rear up via downshift? Even if you dump the clutch lever the clutch it self would automatically slip itself right?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I've got this one corner on my way that I manage it on sometimes if I want it enough. Give me 2 months and 10 days and I'll try and borrow a camera.

HNasty posted:

Wait I'm a little confused, I haven't ridden a sumo in about 5 years but wouldn't a slipper clutch make it harder or impossible to spin the rear up via downshift? Even if you dump the clutch lever the clutch it self would automatically slip itself right?

No. A slipper clutch only slips the clutch enough so the engine doesn't compression lock. You still get maybe 90-95% of engine braking.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 20, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I commute on my sumo, which is also why I own a DRZ

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

HNasty posted:

No, Like RBL said you still get most of the engine braking but you take away all the skipping so that it's a lot smoother.

As far as hooning, some people just like to gently caress around and try to ride wheelies and jump stupid poo poo. I'm certainly no sumo star nor do I claim to be good at anything but I can say without a doubt compared to all my sportbike friends who ride from Pt. A to Pt. B I do a lot more stupid poo poo.

Maybe you're reading into the posts a bit much. Everyone that has a supermoto talks it up like that because it really is more fun than a sportbike for messing around. You don't have to be the next big French star on a race-ready CRF450 to mess around and have fun.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

n8r posted:

I back into my parking spot every day, what of it? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I tried to do one on the way home but I couldn't manage it. I even got some Skindred playing on the ipod but I don't think I was pedaling fast enough :(

• Locked thread