Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Hypnolobster posted:

Floating yeast doesn't necessarily mean activity but it's likely. But only 6 days means you can easily let it go another 15 or more and let the yeast clean up after themselves before you worry about bottling.
I wasn't planning on bottling until the June 29, a total ferment time of 17 days.

I think I am going to brew this weekend (5.25 gallons):

14 lbs. Maris Otter
2 oz. roasted barley
2 oz. 2-row caramel 40L
0.75 oz. Simcoe @ 60 min.
0.75 oz. Amarillo @ 60 min.
0.75 oz. Citra @ 2 min.
US-05 Yeast
2 oz. Citra dry hop for 7 days
Single infusion 60 minutes, batch sparge.

Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Sirotan posted:

If doing a sour mash means I'd need to keep it at 90+ for a couple of days I don't think I could. It would mean leaving something on my stove all day when I'm not home which sounds like a good way to burn down my apartment building. I guess I'll just go back to my original plan and follow the directions in the recipe. Worst case scenario it just takes longer.

Just get renters insurance and let the pubby neighbors weep. Just kidding that's a bad idea, and renters insurance is kinda iffy too.

Maybe a corckpot (misspelled crock pot, the suggestion is crackpot) or two would work? Those are pretty reliable leave home alone machines.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Or just one of those coolers that is supposed to keep things cold for 5 days. I mean it won't be perfect, but you could leave it alone for quite a while and not lose a ton of heat.

Or build a sous vide dealie:
http://makeprojects.com/Project/Sous-Vide-Immersion-Cooker/471/1

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Isn't the 90 really just gravy? I've left spent grain overnight sitting in a pot to let it cool before trashing and its already a bit sour on the nose. Leave it a couple days in the tun at whatever ambient is, bonus for outside this time of year.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Yeah you don't need to actually keep a sour mash in the 90s, but if you do it'll supercharge the souring process. According to Wikipedia the optimum temp for growth for lacto is 99F, but I've had no problems growing it at room temperature. Just took a bit more time.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

So I didn't really do the maths, but the IIPA I posted about ended up at 1.100 - I pitched 2 liquid yeasts on top of that, have I messed up with not enough yeast or will it be ok? :ohdear:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

wildfire1 posted:

So I didn't really do the maths, but the IIPA I posted about ended up at 1.100 - I pitched 2 liquid yeasts on top of that, have I messed up with not enough yeast or will it be ok? :ohdear:

You're fine, relax. It's better to slightly underpitch than overpitch with IPAs anyway since flocculating yeast drags down hop particles with it, removing some of the flavor and aroma.

Only downside is you might experience a delay in (visual) fermentation starting, but not more than a day or so lag.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

Allahu Snackbar posted:

I finally hydro'd my saison and it's reading 1.002. That's, uh, done I think? Should I even worry about holding off another 2 days to bag that last .002? It tastes good.

Just following up to see if I need to wait two days to see if this budges, or if 1.002 is close enough to bottle condition. I just don't want to blow up a bottle

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Allahu Snackbar posted:

Just following up to see if I need to wait two days to see if this budges, or if 1.002 is close enough to bottle condition. I just don't want to blow up a bottle

I seriously doubt it'll go any lower. That's hella low. Bottle it when you can.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Allahu Snackbar posted:

That sounds appropriately dry for a saison. The reason you may want to do another one in two days is to make absolutely sure it is finished. Otherwise you may overcarb and end up with bottle bombs or superfizzysaisondrink.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
On a whim I popped into whole foods and got 5 gal of cider in the glass jars. It says juice,but its 100% unfiltered juice and its as cloudy as the cider next to it (which was spiced :/ )

I have proper cider yeast already smacked, a couple pounds of orange blossom honey to throw in,but the question is: I have access to a large can of cherry puree to throw in. Do it initially or wait a bit so I don't lose potential cherry flavor out the airlock?

I plan on having this sit for a while, then toss it into bottles if it makes any difference

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Let the yeast eat the cider and honey first.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

LeeMajors posted:

That sounds appropriately dry for a saison. The reason you may want to do another one in two days is to make absolutely sure it is finished. Otherwise you may overcarb and end up with bottle bombs or superfizzysaisondrink.

While I like my saisons at farmhouse levels of fizz, I'll let discretion ride for one more day. The flavor is absolutely spot-on though. I drank from the hydrometer jar like a mad scientist and I've never been so enamored by a flat beer before.

E: and I checked the airlock which is finally remaining static over a 5 minute window. The time is close!

Allahu Snackbar fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 20, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
What do you mean by "Farmhouse levels of fizz?"

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I really don't know how to quantify that. Fairly active carbonation, big bubbles, a nice airy head.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

PBCrunch posted:

I wasn't planning on bottling until the June 29, a total ferment time of 17 days.

I think I am going to brew this weekend (5.25 gallons):

14 lbs. Maris Otter
2 oz. roasted barley
2 oz. 2-row caramel 40L
0.75 oz. Simcoe @ 60 min.
0.75 oz. Amarillo @ 60 min.
0.75 oz. Citra @ 2 min.
US-05 Yeast
2 oz. Citra dry hop for 7 days
Single infusion 60 minutes, batch sparge.

Any thoughts?

Looks good. I might personally scoot the citra addition to flameout, but it'd be slight. The 2 oz each of roast barley and caramel should darken it up a bit and look great, and you should get a really slight increase in body and maybe a tiny hint of a roasty flavor. A hair more caramel might not hurt, but I'd personally leave it where it is.

I'd brew/drink it. You're doing awesome to start all-grain with a SMaSH, and then move into this recipe. Everybody tries to get all crazy with recipes and it never helps.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Midorka posted:

What do you mean by "Farmhouse levels of fizz?"

"Hit your friend in the head with the cork from across the room".

But no really I have a visible mark in my ceiling from a DuPont cork.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

hellfaucet posted:

Question about turning a whiskey barrel into a sour barrel: Do I just brew the base beer with reggos yeast and then pitch bugs once it goes into the barrel and BAM sour barrel?

Short answer, yes. The much longer answer is already covered in numerous other blogs and I encourage you to search for them. A lot depends on the condition of your barrel when you get it. If it just held whiskey, then it's likely to impart a lot of that flavor into your beer and if it was empty for a long time before you got it, it might be a good idea to clean it with steam or a sulfur wick. Otherwise, you might have mold or acetobactor to deal with.

I believe most people ferment their beer with a neutral strain before putting it into the barrel. For one, it's a big mess to primary in a barrel and afterwords, there's a lot of liquid displacement and you'll have that beer sitting on that big yeast cake. You won't have to worry about autolysis if you use brettanomyces, because the brett will eat up most of the dead cells. So brewing with regular yeast and then pitching the bugs like you said it probably the best course. And yes, the barrel will become sour from then on as all those critters take hold deep in the pores of the wood.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Sirotan posted:

I've never done a no-boil OR a decoction but the recipe spells it all out. I guess if I want to reuse the yeast I'm going to add the Lactobacillus at secondary instead.
"
I'm gonna go ahead and say that you should pitch the lacto at least right away, if not 12-24 hours before you pitch the yeast. That is what gives BW it's "edge". Since you are no-boil anyway, there are going to be some other fun guys too. I strongly recommend re-using the yeast cake, it can make some awesome beers. But know that you are going to have some tartness and maybe even some light funk.

Think "malty session beer". I've had good luck with 9.5# 2-row (MO if you want to be awesome) and 0.5# Crystal 120 (you could probably put whatever you like in, I'm a sucker for 120) with 0.5oz finishing EKG or 50% pils, 50% munich with 0.5oz Spalt (Spalt hops are under appreciated and totally amazing) finishing hops.

I'm sure you could tweak pretty much any recipe you wanted. Just don't pitch on the cake (the yeast outcompetes the lacto pretty much entirely), just take a portion, like a medium mason jar. Maybe favoring a more liquidy bit. Supposedly, one of the big vendor's Lacto is hop resistant. I don't know which one, because I've never really tested it but I've gone up to 1oz Cascade as FWH in a BW with Wyeast and had plenty of tartness to go around. So maybe it is Wyeast?

I've never done it but a buddy of mine brewed a monster Imp. Stout on a BW cake. I didn't drink any, can't vouch for it, but he really liked it.

Also, how hard is your water? No boil BW in areas with super hard water are really good. The tartness still comes though but it really enriches for a really good, fruity bouquet.

Sorry to sperg. I've just moved and found a great brew buddy after one year of only brewing once every other month. I'm super excited to get back into the swing of things.

Edit: Plus I just LOVE BW. It is pretty much my favorite kind of beer. So much variety. So much fun.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 20, 2013

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I realized after pouring all these bottles that the whole foods cider bottles are glass,and very close to carboy shaped.

If I can find a stopper to fit them I think I just stumbled on 5 1gal carboys to play around with. I can split this batch up and try a few different things (like hops) in a small scale.

That names the price of each a little more bearable

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Lambic Mead Update The bottom bubble doubled in size overnight. Sorry for the bad photography. Im standing on my toes leaning, and holding the camera with a flashlight in the other hand. I had to rely on Autofocus which can be exceptionally wonky. Enjoy!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I have been drinking this coffee lately that is seriously blowing my mind. Its not astringent at all, has great flavor, oh man I want to make a coffee beer. Problem? It is the summer.

Is there anything that could go alright with coffee that is even mildly appropriate for the summer time?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

ChiTownEddie posted:

I have been drinking this coffee lately that is seriously blowing my mind. Its not astringent at all, has great flavor, oh man I want to make a coffee beer. Problem? It is the summer.

Is there anything that could go alright with coffee that is even mildly appropriate for the summer time?

gently caress the haters, make a coffee hefeweizen.

Also, I've heard of a coffee IPA you can buy now, not sure how I feel about that though.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

internet celebrity posted:

gently caress the haters, make a coffee hefeweizen.

Also, I've heard of a coffee IPA you can buy now, not sure how I feel about that though.

hahahaha. Coffee dunkelweizen maybe :)
Actually how did I forget. I've had Dayman before, it was...weirdly good, the type of drink that you expect every sip to be bad but you just keep sipping because its so...different and interesting. Not sure I'd want to experiment with that because I feel like it'd be hard to make a coffee IPA not terrible.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

hahahaha. Coffee dunkelweizen maybe :)
Actually how did I forget. I've had Dayman before, it was...weirdly good, the type of drink that you expect every sip to be bad but you just keep sipping because its so...different and interesting. Not sure I'd want to experiment with that because I feel like it'd be hard to make a coffee IPA not terrible.

Please use Dunkin' donuts coffee for that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
What isn't summerfull about coffee stout. Cold, sweet, acid, tannins. Sound like anything else you drink for summer?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

zedprime posted:

What isn't summerfull about coffee stout. Cold, sweet, acid, tannins. Sound like anything else you drink for summer?

What is Iced Tee? for 500 dollars

EnsignVix
Jul 11, 2006

ChiTownEddie posted:

Breakfast stouts are a fine way to start a summer weekend morning, especially if you get up early enough and it's still a little chilly out.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Please use Dunkin' donuts coffee for that.

My first fall beer...check.
E: DunkinWiezen fosho.

EnsignVix posted:

Breakfast stouts are a fine way to start a summer weekend morning, especially if you get up early enough and it's still a little chilly out.

I think I'll make a 2gallon batch of one in the end. Partly to practice for the cooler seasons and partly because Founders Breakfast Stout is one of my all time favorites. MmmMMmmmm.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Shbobdb posted:

"
I'm gonna go ahead and say that you should pitch the lacto at least right away, if not 12-24 hours before you pitch the yeast. That is what gives BW it's "edge". Since you are no-boil anyway, there are going to be some other fun guys too. I strongly recommend re-using the yeast cake, it can make some awesome beers. But know that you are going to have some tartness and maybe even some light funk.

Think "malty session beer". I've had good luck with 9.5# 2-row (MO if you want to be awesome) and 0.5# Crystal 120 (you could probably put whatever you like in, I'm a sucker for 120) with 0.5oz finishing EKG or 50% pils, 50% munich with 0.5oz Spalt (Spalt hops are under appreciated and totally amazing) finishing hops.

I'm sure you could tweak pretty much any recipe you wanted. Just don't pitch on the cake (the yeast outcompetes the lacto pretty much entirely), just take a portion, like a medium mason jar. Maybe favoring a more liquidy bit. Supposedly, one of the big vendor's Lacto is hop resistant. I don't know which one, because I've never really tested it but I've gone up to 1oz Cascade as FWH in a BW with Wyeast and had plenty of tartness to go around. So maybe it is Wyeast?

I've never done it but a buddy of mine brewed a monster Imp. Stout on a BW cake. I didn't drink any, can't vouch for it, but he really liked it.

Also, how hard is your water? No boil BW in areas with super hard water are really good. The tartness still comes though but it really enriches for a really good, fruity bouquet.

Sorry to sperg. I've just moved and found a great brew buddy after one year of only brewing once every other month. I'm super excited to get back into the swing of things.

Edit: Plus I just LOVE BW. It is pretty much my favorite kind of beer. So much variety. So much fun.

Thanks for the tips, I've never saved or reused yeast before but I think when I hit the store tonight I'm going to pickup some mason jars and do just that. I may make ChiTownEddie's raspberry wheat recipe first so I can use uninnoculated yeast, then re-pitch into the berliner weisse after it's had a day or two with the lacto.

And hell, I might have to buy another carboy to store all the beer I'll have brewing simultaneously. :homebrew:

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

I have a buddy who wants to learn how to make mead for his birthday on Saturday, so I'm going to show him the ropes and we are going to make a batch at my place with my equipment on Saturday. He mentioned the possibility of making a lavender mead, which seems interesting to me, however I've never used lavender in a mead/beer. Anyone have any experience with using lavender? Is there an amount that I should be cautious of so it doesn't wind up tasting like soap?

Nothing worse than drinking alcoholic soap.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

hellfaucet posted:

I have a buddy who wants to learn how to make mead for his birthday on Saturday, so I'm going to show him the ropes and we are going to make a batch at my place with my equipment on Saturday. He mentioned the possibility of making a lavender mead, which seems interesting to me, however I've never used lavender in a mead/beer. Anyone have any experience with using lavender? Is there an amount that I should be cautious of so it doesn't wind up tasting like soap?

Nothing worse than drinking alcoholic soap.

well its likely the kind of thing to go in a secondary dry-hop style; so you don't cook anything off to sanitize it. Others have used it like a tea, and steeped it in hot water for 30 minutes or so. I would start with an ounce or two for 5 gals (lots of edits lowering the amount as I read brew logs). Apparently Lavendar is exceptionally potent stuff.

Edits for amounts of lavendar. You can also look into lavendar honey!

Marshmallow Blue fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 20, 2013

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Marshmallow Blue posted:

well its likely the kind of thing to go in a secondary dry-hop style; so you don't cook anything off to sanitize it. Others have used it like a tea, and steeped it in hot water for 30 minutes or so. I would start with an ounce or two for 5 gals (lots of edits lowering the amount as I read brew logs). Apparently Lavendar is exceptionally potent stuff.

Edits for amounts of lavendar. You can also look into lavendar honey!

Ok, word. I read a few recipes that called for the steeping way, but that seemed like it would be really intense. Barring that, maybe I'll just do an orange creamsicle style mead and use oranges and vanilla bean. vOv

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Just as a warning there are two very very different common types of lavender in most stores. One is fruity and floral and one is a bit smokey and almost mentholy. I can't remember which is which but I almost made the mistake of using the wrong one once in an experimental small batch but caught it at the last second.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
i should know better because its only been 24hrs.. but even though i had activity in that cider smack pack, left sitting for 3 hrs, i feel that i should have done something different or added a starter to my cider + honey. Im hoping it wasnt TOO high for the yeast to start in.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Roundboy posted:

i should know better because its only been 24hrs.. but even though i had activity in that cider smack pack, left sitting for 3 hrs, i feel that i should have done something different or added a starter to my cider + honey. Im hoping it wasnt TOO high for the yeast to start in.
The only thing that comes to mind is yeast nutrient - neither apple juice nor honey are naturally very well equipped.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more
I have a big yeast cake of Wyeast 3522 I want to reuse next week. What do you guys think about this for a Belgian Golden Strong recipe? The inspiration is mostly La Chouffe but I wanted to do something a little bit different with the NZ saaz like hops. Also is it worth maybe discarding half of the yeast cake so I don't overpitch?

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/196270/belgian-golden-strong

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Just Oxi'd and delabled 130 bottles for our big bottling day tomorrow. Wanted to kill myself.

Thanks had to vent.

@Bobsledboy recipe looks good! I've never used that particular yeast but I use the regular Belgian strong all the time and I like to under pitch a bit to get more of the fruity flavor, but if you want it to be a bit cleaner like Duvel I'd say just slam it on top of the whole cake.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!
Welp, took a hydro sample then dry hopped the farmhouse. Tasted it after, and it was pretty loving spot on. Lovely floral hops though, so I'm not paranoid.

Also: I want to brew that Coffee Wheat. Love me some iced coffee in the summer time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Coffee Wheat sounds very interesting. I didn't actually know that was a thing.