Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

The_Hat posted:

Oh yeah, who gives a poo poo what the broadcasters are wearing, I'm pretty sure Len Kasper for WGN is always wearing some sort of Cubs shirt.

I would legit buy suits from a Vin Scully collection, dude is dapper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
My favorite fact is that Hawk Harrelson is a former White Sox General Manager. That just blows my freakin' mind every time I think about it

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

My favorite fact is that Hawk Harrelson is a former White Sox General Manager. That just blows my freakin' mind every time I think about it

He is generally considered one of the worst ever at both.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The_Hat posted:

Oh yeah, who gives a poo poo what the broadcasters are wearing, I'm pretty sure Len Kasper for WGN is always wearing some sort of Cubs shirt.

Len's always wearing a WGN or CSN polo.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
Apparently (this is something I've heard from people that would know) the White Sox FO still asks Hawk for his opinions on operations decisions. The White Sox did not employ a defensive overshift for like four seasons because Hawk doesn't believe in it.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

jeffersonlives posted:

He is generally considered one of the worst ever at both.

That has to be one of those categories that'll never be topped. No one will ever hit 2 grand slams in an inning off the same pitcher again, no one will ever be as bad at being a GM and an announcer for a team ever again.

No one will ever be a GM and an announcer for the same team ever again.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I like to dream that the Steinbrenners will snap and let John Sterling run the team if he agrees to a low enough salary

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

I like to dream that the Steinbrenners will snap and let John Sterling run the team if he agrees to a low enough salary
Then he can compare people who criticize his GM work to Nazis.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Crazy Ted posted:

It would mostly be Yankees fans, so he'd be pretty much right.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

MourningView posted:

John Sterling is hot garbage for the most part, but Artie Lange had a great story about him on his last stand up CD. Artie was down on the field at Yankee Stadium doing some segment for "The Best drat Sports Show" and Sterling asked him how he got down there. Artie told him "I won a Suzyn Waldman lookalike contest." Sterling fired right back with "Well there is a resemblance!"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
So he just repeated the same joke Artie told? You're right, that is quite the wit.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

MourningView posted:

So he just repeated the same joke Artie told? You're right, that is quite the wit.

It was more that Artie thought Sterling would get pissed off for him making GBS threads on his co-host like that.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
The best joke on that Artie CD was him describing the first televised court case at the Vet

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Crazy Ted posted:

Ahem, that was Mr. Michael Kay, who would also be a brilliant GM!

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Banned from Yankee clubhouse:
-Long hair
-Beards
-Soup

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

hcreight posted:

-Long hair
-Beards
-Soup

All food items at the ballpark are replaced with Chicken Parmesan.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Or they offer nothing but Eggplant Calzones

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

hcreight posted:

-Long hair
-Beards
-Soup
Which is a shame because at one time they offered a fantastic Mulligatawny.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

seiferguy posted:

This would be fantastic.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Vertical Lime posted:

Or they offer nothing but Eggplant Calzones

Those replacing turkey chili in a bowl made out of bread, as Big Stein got tired of looking down after lunch and seeing nothing but the table.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Column: The Wizards shouldn't give John Wall a contract because he said he didn't have tattoos before and now he has them.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I didn't know that Colin Cowherd did guest columns for The Post.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Yeah, you wouldn't want John Wall spoiling all the other things the Wizards have going for them, like ______________, ______________, and ____________.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

You can't prove to me that's not written by Jason Whitlock.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Astonishing idiot from the Washington Post posted:

[Lebron] James...never tried to sell mass-appeal images to the public.

AHAHAHAHAHA. Wow. No, not at all, well except if you count pretty much every day since he's been in loving high school. Holy poo poo.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Michael Kay and Jon Sterling prove that, against all common sense and capability, showing up to work every day without fail will Get You Places

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Robert Lipstye has his first ombudsman column on ESPN

http://espn.go.com/blog/ombudsman/tag/_/name/robert-lipsyte

This is going to be fun :munch:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Man this HBO Real Sports thing about Jay Williams is making me feel bad for someone from Duke. Worth watching if you catch it sometime.

e: It'll pass, I feel a little less bad every time Coach K is on screen.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I dunno if you're not licensed to drive a motorcycle and specifically banned from doing so by your contract maybe don't go around pretending to be Evel Knieval.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It sucks he never got to enjoy a long NBA career but he ended up a millionaire, has a nice gig, and gets to date Charissa Thompson. His life is still real good.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Rick Reilly may have topped even himself with this one. This could actually be the worst article I have ever read.

Stupid poo poo posted:

Let's Say ... the most famous air ball in history -- Dereck Whittenburg's last-second, 25-foot, 3-point try in the 1983 NCAA title game -- travels just 6 more inches. Let's Say ... it bounces off the front of the rim, instead of settling into the hands of teammate Lorenzo Charles, who can't catch it and dunk it at the buzzer to win the title for 6-seed North Carolina State.

Then ... Jim Valvano doesn't run around the court looking for somebody to hug. Which means ... he doesn't become the most huggable college basketball coach ever. Which means ... he isn't a national celebrity when he contracts cancer 10 years later, and he's probably not at the ESPYS to give his unforgettable never-quit speech, and the $100 million The V Foundation for Cancer Research has raised on the strength of that speech doesn't exist.

:suicide:

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page/whatif/tinkering-sports-history

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 1, 2013

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

Rick Reilly may have topped even himself with this one. This may actually be the worst article I have ever read.

That's chaos.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Professor Funk posted:

Rick Reilly may have topped even himself with this one. This could actually be the worst article I have ever read.

Well at least the end of the article was something nice to imagine...

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

BasicFunk posted:

Well at least the end of the article was something nice to imagine...

He stops writing?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Rick Reilly gets run over by a bus and dies? I'm just guessing since there is no way in hell I am reading anything written by that fuckhead.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Badfinger posted:

No one will ever be a GM and an announcer for the same team ever again.

Matt Millen?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Toffile posted:

Matt Millen?

As I understand it he got that GM job in large part because people thought he was so good as an announcer. I mean it's difficult to believe and I have this suspicious feeling that I'm fabricating the whole story but I'm pretty sure that was a part of things.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

As I understand it he got that GM job in large part because people thought he was so good as an announcer. I mean it's difficult to believe and I have this suspicious feeling that I'm fabricating the whole story but I'm pretty sure that was a part of things.

I think he also had a rep as a smart player but in general yes, that's a thing that happened. The lions didn't get this way by accident.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Cowherd is getting his own TV show on Sunday mornings

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/07/01/colin-cowherd-is-getting-his-own-weekly-tv-football-show-on-espn/

Because we didn't have enough lovely Sunday shows already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Benne posted:

Cowherd is getting his own TV show on Sunday mornings

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/07/01/colin-cowherd-is-getting-his-own-weekly-tv-football-show-on-espn/

Because we didn't have enough lovely Sunday shows already

I miss Dick Schaap :smith: