Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
No, no, no, steaks are to be seared at high heat. Salt before, pepper afterwards, you don't want burnt pepper on your steak contributing a bitter flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
But you want to give the salt time to pull the pepper flavor into the meat!

At least we can agree that "steak sauce" is an abomination not to be borne, right?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Any word on being able to be in multiple guilds? I'd like to be in the goon guild, but I've got a group of non-goon friends I'd like to be able to share decks with and such

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Hex: Steaks of Fate. I'd eat it.

(Anyone who has ketchup on steak needs to be strung up :black101:)

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Cynic Jester posted:

Hex: Steaks of Fate. I'd eat it.

(Anyone who has ketchup on steak needs to be strung up :black101:)

I was taught that a really good steak should require no post-cooking seasonings or sauces, rather it should stand on its own.

And if it's not a little bloody, you're doing it wrong.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You're forgetting "Guild leaders abscond with all the cards in the guild bank" and "Everyone gets very angry about how everyone else is bringing the "wrong" deck to raids."
I don't think guild banks work that way based on how they've talked about it and with raids being only 3 people right now, it would probably be easier to just not raid with people who bring what you think is wrong.

The fact that people really do care about what other people do with their sauces and meats will never cease to amuse me. I eat my white beans and rice with mustard. Could that annoy people?

e: if you put your sauce of choice on TOP of the meat, I declare a pox upon your house! :supaburn:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pumpinglemma posted:

Rare, blue if it's good meat, with horseradish. It's the one true way.

The people who eat blue steak are the ones whose ancestors never could be bothered with this newfangled "fire" thing. :colbert:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Blazing Zero posted:

I don't think guild banks work that way based on how they've talked about it and with raids being only 3 people right now, it would probably be easier to just not raid with people who bring what you think is wrong.

Oh, I think it'll be a thing. Only so many people have the Raid Leader bonus, for one thing, and only so many of those will want to run any given raid at any given time -- most will be Grand Kings more interested in PvP, etc.

I expect a lot of "god dammit Alloy why do you keep running that lovely blood diamond deck, don't you know this boss is weak vs. rabbits" etc.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

You're forgetting "Guild leaders abscond with all the cards in the guild bank" and "Everyone gets very angry about how everyone else is bringing the "wrong" deck to raids."

edit: If your steak needs anything other than salt and maybe black pepper you're doing it wrong. And both those should go on the meat before it's cooked. Steak shouldn't hit the table needing anything.

Barbecue sauce. I will fight you if you say otherwise. :colbert:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

But you want to give the salt time to pull the pepper flavor into the meat!

At least we can agree that "steak sauce" is an abomination not to be borne, right?

I'm ok with egg and butter based sauces like hollandaise or bearnaise but too many people think steak sauce is A-1 or Heinz 57.

Let's not forget though that sauce necessity is inversely proportional to the quality of the steak. I will not hold anyone in contempt for using sauce on chicken-fried cubed steak.

Go RV! posted:

Any word on being able to be in multiple guilds? I'd like to be in the goon guild, but I've got a group of non-goon friends I'd like to be able to share decks with and such

After Guild Wars 2 I am highly interested in this as well, especially because I think cliques are unpreventable, and also not all my friends are goons.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
I will eat my steak with cat poo poo sauce if I please and you steak puritans can't stop me!

signalnoise posted:

After Guild Wars 2 I am highly interested in this as well, especially because I think cliques are unpreventable, and also not all my friends are goons.

Well, so long as your friends are okay with A-1... :glomp:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

signalnoise posted:

I'm ok with egg and butter based sauces like hollandaise or bearnaise but too many people think steak sauce is A-1 or Heinz 57.

Let's not forget though that sauce necessity is inversely proportional to the quality of the steak. I will not hold anyone in contempt for using sauce on chicken-fried cubed steak.

There's a saying in the cooking industry: "An ounce of sauce hides a multitude of sins." If you can't enjoy the natural taste of the meat, the real issue isn't what you're dipping it in! :colbert:

And I suppose this is as good a place as any to mention I have a co-worker that dips his poutine in ketchup...

But to get back on Hex, I'm hoping they support multiple guilds as well. I've got some non-goons interested in the game and it would be nice to jump over to their guild and help them out without penalty. Curious how that gets flagged. They've mentioned guild vs guild stuff I believe but was there any talk of how that works?

edit: VVVV I cook for a living so yes. But too often people reach for a sauce before they taste the meat. I used to be one of those 'well done with BBQ' kind of guys, but a good cut of meat that's seasoned properly and cooked correctly just lights up on the tongue.

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 20, 2013

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

thiswayliesmadness posted:

There's a saying in the cooking industry: "An ounce of sauce hides a multitude of sins." If you can't enjoy the natural taste of the meat, the real issue isn't what you're dipping it in! :colbert:

Dude. Egg yolk + red meat. Are you saying you've never tried this? Its loving delicious

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

BenRGamer posted:

Barbecue sauce. I will fight you if you say otherwise. :colbert:

Oh this is a whole separate :can:. If it's not a vinegar-based sauce you might as well just be pouring maple syrup over everything :P

signalnoise posted:

At that point we aren't discussing sauces any more; that's just health care. Of course I support universal health care.

signalnoise posted:

Dude. Egg yolk + red meat. Are you saying you've never tried this? Its loving delicious

If you must put sauce on your steak, try bearnaise.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 20, 2013

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
At this point, if the guild doesn't split down the middle into a thousand, tattered shreds over how to consume cooked cow, I will be severely disappointed. That being said, I am still a "well-done with ketchup" guy, so I will be trying out most of these suggestions.

In more related matters, has the full card list been spoiled yet? This thread exploded since the last time I looked, and I fear I've lost the link to whatever it was that the fans were putting together regarding a database of cards.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Biggest card list I'm aware of:

http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

The other main site seems to be this one - personally I like the interface a lot better, but each to their own. We're still missing a lot of cards, though, and we're missing equipment for most of the cards we do have.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I honestly can't wait to see what cards I end up fighting that are monster only

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah, some of the NPC only cards seem pretty crazy. I suspect that clone zone card is one.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, some of the NPC only cards seem pretty crazy. I suspect that clone zone card is one.

It isn't. It has equipmnent.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Oh, I think it'll be a thing. Only so many people have the Raid Leader bonus, for one thing, and only so many of those will want to run any given raid at any given time -- most will be Grand Kings more interested in PvP, etc.

I expect a lot of "god dammit Alloy why do you keep running that lovely blood diamond deck, don't you know this boss is weak vs. rabbits" etc.

Someone running a bad deck will be way more of a disadvantage than missing out on the Raid Leader bonus. Joining a guild is not a contract that you sign forcing you to group with everyone in it.

In a big enough guild, you'll find people that you like and people that you don't.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.
I've always felt that the proper way to eat a steak depended entirely on the quality of the steak. The best ones need nothing, but you better believe I was slathering my chow hall USDA Grade D steaks in A1 back when I was in the military.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Blazing Zero posted:

Ahaha! Please link me to something to read about this. For the record though, it's A-1 on the side. :colbert:

Exhibit A: every post after the list.

Now imagine everyone is on voice chat and yelling about it, and you have the great steak exile of 2008.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

signalnoise posted:

I'm of the opinion that you should be able to vouch for non-goon friends, and then if they're tools they get the boot.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Karnegal posted:

I'm of the opinion that you should be able to vouch for non-goon friends, and then if they're tools they get the boot.

Gotta agree with this. It was a problem in WoW strictly because there weren't enough guild slots to go around but I doubt it'll be a problem with Hex. The vast majority of goon-vouched people i've played with have been fine.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
"Neat, there must be some new news about Hex because there's like 30 new posts!"

Steak chat.

The one true steak is from glorious Nippon, or Japan for all you gaijin. The only beef that should be used for steak is Wagyuu beef. It's taste,... it's just so,... Moe~

Edit: Beta is like, what, September-ish? That feels like forever from now.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

BambooEarpick posted:

"Neat, there must be some new news about Hex because there's like 30 new posts!"

Steak chat.

The one true steak is from glorious Nippon, or Japan for all you gaijin. The only beef that should be used for steak is Wagyuu beef. It's taste,... it's just so,... Moe~

Edit: Beta is like, what, September-ish? That feels like forever from now.

Yeah September. The Wagyuu steak I had one was easily the best steak I've ever had. Also, I didn't have to pay for it because it was from a grad school interview.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm mostly a rare with salt and pepper guy, but mixing together equal parts bleu cheese and butter and melting them over the top is amazing from time to time.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Go RV! posted:

Yes. From a Kickstarter mail sent to me during the Kickstarter funding period:

quote:

You can only be in one guild at a time

Sorry.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I wonder if the guild thing is designed to foster guild rivalries. Since they're actually rewarding high performing guilds (guilds who put people in top 8's), I suppose they want to avoid everyone being in Giant Guild X in addition to their "real" guild so that the can benefit from the rewards.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Oh, there's actually mechanical benefits for being in a successful guild? I wonder if that's done by average placing, or by how many good placings the guild can field. If it's the latter, you could have any number of people get "carried" by a much smaller number of skilled players consistently t8ing.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 21, 2013

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.
I think that's more likely, because the alternative is people throwing guildmates out for not being good enough and bringing the rest of the guild down, which will just create a toxic environment in the game.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

cheetah7071 posted:

Oh, there's actually mechanical benefits for being in a successful guild? I wonder if that's done by average placing, or by how many good placings the guild can field. If it's the latter, you could have any number of people get "carried" by a much smaller number of skilled players consistently t8ing.

I believe what has been said so far is that your guild will get test decks from specific big events if you have a member who preforms at a certain high level. I don't think it's based on average performance so much as having a single member who preforms well in an event. This makes a lot more sense from a financial perspective because if your guild has one good player who wins you a set of test decks, then you can encourage other players to buy the actual cards for those decks post-testing in order to compete in the next big event.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lone Goat posted:

Someone running a bad deck will be way more of a disadvantage than missing out on the Raid Leader bonus. Joining a guild is not a contract that you sign forcing you to group with everyone in it.

In a big enough guild, you'll find people that you like and people that you don't.

Yeah, I was more implying that I would be the bad Raid Leader running the bad deck!

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I play pet decks in Magic all the time, Alloy. You can do raids with me.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Yeah, I was more implying that I would be the bad Raid Leader running the bad deck!

Then people won't group with you if you stink. The system works! :toot:

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
Two updates today. First is some Vennen art and the second is some underworld pvp champions.

http://hextcg.com/art-feature-the-vennen/
http://hextcg.com/pvp-champions-underworld/

I am really liking the art today in both updates compared to the furry art last time.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.
Huh, I never realized that there were threshold requirements on champion charge powers.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Niedar posted:

Two updates today. First is some Vennen art and the second is some underworld pvp champions.

http://hextcg.com/art-feature-the-vennen/
http://hextcg.com/pvp-champions-underworld/

I am really liking the art today in both updates compared to the furry art last time.

The Shin'Hare Warlock charge power looks really neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Seriously though what kind of loving barbarian eats well-done steaks.

I usually find that slow life-drainy decks in magic are poo poo (which is a shame cause I love the black/white color combo but Orzhov presses that needling stuff really hard), cause it always seems like there are better things to devote resources to than little incremental life drains, like removal and card advantage and poo poo that actually enhances your position. But I gotta say that the Necrotic lifedrain champions look pretty interesting. Having that as something that's passive, always available, and doesn't interfere with any of your other resources sounds great. If I don't have to dedicate a card in my deck/hand to a little 1/1 dude who I can tap to drain 1 life, having that in my deck actually seems like it might be worthwhile. Or hell, even making a dedicated life drain deck, since it'll always have some form of gas with these guys.

I'm really digging champions overall. They're a very elegant little mechanic.

• Locked thread