Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Boss is taking a year off for Mom stuff soon... that's great! No obvious replacement though, messy. She's a pretty important person around here all things considered.

And Boss's Boss Mr VP is quitting too! No one to report to at all soon. :saddowns:

We're a pretty technical/vital bunch so they're probably scrambling for a decent solution, so things don't collapse entirely... right?

Sure they are: we're being sectioned off and put under HR supervision for a year. :cthulhu:

Hoping Boss lady actually rejoins us to pick up the pieces after her leave, because i kinda like it here otherwise.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Boss is taking a year off for Mom stuff soon... that's great! No obvious replacement though, messy. She's a pretty important person around here all things considered.

And Boss's Boss Mr VP is quitting too! No one to report to at all soon. :saddowns:

We're a pretty technical/vital bunch so they're probably scrambling for a decent solution, so things don't collapse entirely... right?

Sure they are: we're being sectioned off and put under HR supervision for a year. :cthulhu:

Hoping Boss lady actually rejoins us to pick up the pieces after her leave, because i kinda like it here otherwise.

Use this as an opportunity to make them understand how important your group is and gain some new allies over the course of that year. It's going to suck at the beginning as they're trying to understand what it is that you actually do, but keep educating and in the future they'll be able to better support and advocate for your needs.

In the mean time, if you gently caress up, they won't know the difference.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

Use this as an opportunity to make them understand how important your group is and gain some new allies over the course of that year. It's going to suck at the beginning as they're trying to understand what it is that you actually do, but keep educating and in the future they'll be able to better support and advocate for your needs.

In the mean time, if you gently caress up, they won't know the difference.

That's pretty constructive advice. If we are handed a fresh boss from HR with proper responsibilities and all the bells and whistles it would make sense to make the best of things.

But it seems HR will just be signing off our time sheets, we'll be more [un]supervised than anything.

So we're being made Bossless for a year. I'm more worried than exited... I know of at least two departments that are gonna get quite uppity when the cat's away. They will certainly notice our gently caress-ups! Probably slap us around and take our lunch money too.

(there will likely be plenty of gently caress ups, Boss has been able to keep them to a minimum with hard work, for which there is no substitute)

Positive development: There's an idea of setting up a little local Boss-replacing Troika, but we might be getting ahead of ourselves. :D

e: if it seems like I give Boss too much credit, it's because she performs a few pretty vital functions for the team (and for the company) - besides managing us, which is simple enough I hope.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 11, 2013

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Threadkiller Dog posted:

That's pretty constructive advice.

That was purely accidental, I assure you!

quote:

If we are handed a fresh boss from HR with proper responsibilities and all the bells and whistles it would make sense to make the best of things.

But it seems HR will just be signing off our time sheets, we'll be more [un]supervised than anything.

So we're being made Bossless for a year. I'm more worried than exited... I know of at least two departments that are gonna get quite uppity when the cat's away. They will certainly notice our gently caress-ups! Probably slap us around and take our lunch money too.

(there will likely be plenty of gently caress ups, Boss has been able to keep them to a minimum with hard work, for which there is no substitute)

Positive development: There's an idea of setting up a little local Boss-replacing Troika, but we might be getting ahead of ourselves. :D

e: if it seems like I give Boss too much credit, it's because she performs a few pretty vital functions for the team (and for the company) - besides managing us, which is simple enough I hope.

Ugh, I work in the kind of department that needs a strong manager to deflect problems otherwise we'd be hosed. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I was appointed to lead safety training and compliance for our plant, so I feel like I should comment when someone zips by with a "hey Epoxy check out my new bike! :haw:" but I just can't bring myself to scold a grown man for riding a bicycle indoors. I ended up reminding him that warehouse vehicles must meet certain specs and to park his until it does.

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 11, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I was appointed to lead safety training and compliance for our plant.

I've been thinking that working for a lead mine would really be good on a resume.
Everyone would have titles like "Lead miner", "Lead safety trainer", or "Lead drill inspector."
So much leadership in that mine.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
It looks like I might actually get overtime this week as long as they don't try to send me out early on Friday.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

I don't know. At my workplace, I've noticed basically 100% correlation between people who use inspirational quotes in their signatures (or have them posted on their desk) and people who are completely incompetent at their jobs.

Or, to put it in a form we'll all understand,

I wonder how many insipid quotes I could put in my email before I got in trouble, just the craziest ball's out stuff I could think of.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Finally got a job in admin again after being unemployed for a year and a half and relocating to a new state 3 weeks ago. Its a small 4 person office, including myself. I'm doing basic office assistant stuff, nothing hard, but its an industry I am completely unfamiliar with which they were aware of. I'm basically useless unless given work for the first week or two. I work 830-430, coworker 1 works till 3, coworker 2 works till 4, boss man is usually here till after I leave. Boss man left to run errands, both coworkers were gone by 345. No one thought to give me any work to do.

They're paying me not-awful money to make myself coffee while I wait for the clock to tell me to go home. This is my second day and I probably spent 3 hours working. I forgot how mind numbing being behind a desk is.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 13, 2013

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
On the other hand, you're being paid to study whatever you want to study!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Weatherman posted:

On the other hand, you're being paid to study whatever you want to study!

Masters of Catte Pics

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

ladyweapon posted:

They're paying me not-awful money to make myself coffee while I wait for the clock to tell me to go home. This is my second day and I probably spent 3 hours working. I forgot how mind numbing being behind a desk is.

This was my first three weeks of work. IT didn't even have my computer up and running my first day (despite having over a month's notice I was coming) and no one had enough spare time to teach me how things worked on each project so I sat around doing nothing for quite a while. Our computer security has almost every website on the internet blocked so there was really nothing I could do. It was horribly boring.

Now I'm taking a laptop on vacation with me since they gave me an assignment that normally takes a month to do with a due date in one week. :suicide: I'd tell them to go gently caress themselves but not having at least reasonable progress on it next week so the customer can see it would probably cost me my job.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I'm sure a lot of people are going to disagree, but most people are going to be rather useless for up to the first month they're there while they're figuring stuff out.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Harry posted:

I'm sure a lot of people are going to disagree, but most people are going to be rather useless for up to the first month they're there while they're figuring stuff out.

So therefore dragging out said uselessness for [x] amount of time wasted plus that month is the way to go, then, by not training said person?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Pidmon posted:

So therefore dragging out said uselessness for [x] amount of time wasted plus that month is the way to go, then, by not training said person?

She's an admin. They're not going to pile it on her within the first two days, and I imagine most of her work will be just various responsibilities she gets assigned over time.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Pidmon posted:

Speaking of training, they have no idea how to train me. They haven't had a new employee in six years and apparently no one has ever really written anything down for the most part. There's a couple documents here and there that explain some parts of certain processes, but for the most part, I get trained as soon as they figure out what I need to know. Fortunately, I'm a quick note-taker.

I just ended up making some apple cider and picking up around the office in an attmept to feel useful. Its a good job overall, it was just kind of funny that they forgot to give me work. v:shobon:v

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

ladyweapon posted:

Finally got a job in admin again after being unemployed for a year and a half and relocating to a new state 3 weeks ago. Its a small 4 person office, including myself. I'm doing basic office assistant stuff, nothing hard, but its an industry I am completely unfamiliar with which they were aware of. I'm basically useless unless given work for the first week or two. I work 830-430, coworker 1 works till 3, coworker 2 works till 4, boss man is usually here till after I leave. Boss man left to run errands, both coworkers were gone by 345. No one thought to give me any work to do.

This was my job for the first couple of months - and now it alternates between me being paid to draw butts on the computer and read novels and then being totally overwhelmed in a tsunami of paperwork and phonecalls. I wasn't trained either. Nobody in the office really was? They just had work handed to them and were told to do the needful. :shrug:

It's not a bad position to be in. You'll be assigned responsibilities, but be careful. They thought I wasn't busy, so 4 different managers all started to pile crap on me to do at the same time without communicating with each other at all.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

ladyweapon posted:

Speaking of training, they have no idea how to train me. They haven't had a new employee in six years and apparently no one has ever really written anything down for the most part. There's a couple documents here and there that explain some parts of certain processes, but for the most part, I get trained as soon as they figure out what I need to know. Fortunately, I'm a quick note-taker.

I just ended up making some apple cider and picking up around the office in an attmept to feel useful. Its a good job overall, it was just kind of funny that they forgot to give me work. v:shobon:v

Are you my replacement? I swear I worked that job for a year and a half.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Keetron posted:

A major reason for people to burn out in a bright flame is when you are given a job and not the tools to do the job properly and then being blamed for not doing the job properly by the same people who refused you the tools in the first place.

This already got a lot of love, but it really is the major difference between a difficult but satisfying job and a soul crushing job. Having management that understands the struggles you go through on a daily basis makes all the difference. Even if they can't help you, knowing that they understand makes it ok. Once the line is crossed and you can feel that they don't understand what your struggles are, let alone how to help you, work becomes a Kafkaesque black comedy.

The only rational defense mechanism is to give up caring at all, which can be a struggle if you have any pride.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Management is getting pounded this week by corporate management, so the beatings continue down the line getting worse as it goes down the ranks. People are getting fired and quitting left and right. It's ridiculous.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
The beatings will continue until morale improves. :colbert:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

rolleyes posted:

The beatings will continue until morale improves. :colbert:

This is actually really funny.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Management is getting pounded this week by corporate management, so the beatings continue down the line getting worse as it goes down the ranks. People are getting fired and quitting left and right. It's ridiculous.
I dare you to google (with SS off) "Getting pounded by management" and then look at your boss without laughing.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So they are going to bring in consults at work to see about making us more cost-effective. It's all over by the crying.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

code:
my boss,,,,, is   actually a 
	very  nice......... person ---------but every single,,,,, email       he sends (((((to me))))) looks like 
________tHIS
I don't know where he gets these weird punctuation ideas from. I get using no punctuation at all, to save time, but what's with the ellipses made out of commas and multiple spaces between words?

Spike McAwesome
Jun 18, 2004

Zombies? Or middle-management? I can't tell...
My boss just turned in her resignation and gave two weeks notice. And thus, the power struggle to take her spot begins. I wonder how shocked everyone will be when it's announced that they'll never, ever, ever promote anyone from within ever again due to the backbiting, gossiping and other petty bullshit that went on.

gabi
Sep 10, 2008
I've had my first corporate job for about a year now. Before this I had been bumming around in retail/food service after graduating with a humanities degree in '11. Since I've been hired they've laid off about 15 people (in an office of about 100), including my boss. They shuffled us into another department, and now we do their extra work in addition to our work, and they aren't replacing anyone in the position immediately above mine. I'm pretty sure they're going to lay off everyone above me and have my department do all of their work (for about half the pay) by this time next year because they're making noises about streamlining the company and "changing the culture." I also just had the ugly realization that the raises they hand out don't even match inflation. The woman who trained me, who has been at this job for a decade, is making less money in real dollars now than when she started. I was also making more in take-home pay as a full-time barista. The benefits are great, but holy poo poo.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
HR's latest bizarre idea: put markers in one of the stairwells (of note: the one used by HR, not the one used by everyone else) so that we can write messages on the walls. I think we're supposed to write about how much we love the company and our co-workers, but that really happened yet. One person did draw a dinosaur. I have been thinking about writing something along the lines of "do you really think you can buy us off so cheaply?" but I fear they've installed hidden cameras for just that occasion.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Spike McAwesome posted:

My boss just turned in her resignation and gave two weeks notice. And thus, the power struggle to take her spot begins. I wonder how shocked everyone will be when it's announced that they'll never, ever, ever promote anyone from within ever again due to the backbiting, gossiping and other petty bullshit that went on.

Besides, if you need to fight over her spot now, you are to late anyway.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

lavaca posted:

HR's latest bizarre idea: put markers in one of the stairwells (of note: the one used by HR, not the one used by everyone else) so that we can write messages on the walls. I think we're supposed to write about how much we love the company and our co-workers, but that really happened yet. One person did draw a dinosaur. I have been thinking about writing something along the lines of "do you really think you can buy us off so cheaply?" but I fear they've installed hidden cameras for just that occasion.

You should run a book on the dates that the following will appear:

1) bible quote
2) racist comment
3) text slap fight
4) crudely-drawn cock

With a bonus draw for when the whole thing gets painted over and never spoken of again.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

lavaca posted:

We had something like that at a previous job of mine. There was a board at the front where people would use markers to write what they we're thankful for (not near thanksgiving, but in July).

90% of the board would be filled up with "PRAISE JESUS!!!" and AMEN stuff. Which everyone who wasn't evangelical was uneasy about.

I was talking about it on a smoke break with a co-worker, and we concocted a plan. When we walked back in, amidst all the JESUS patter, she wrote that she was thankful for Buddha. I wrote, in big letters, RELIGIOUS FREEDOM!

The next day, it was gone.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

lavaca posted:

Write the word "HELLO" every day when you get in, in huge letters.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

lavaca posted:

Reminded me of: HR added full comments functionality to the Corporate News articles on our intranet.

The rule of internet comments apparently applies to our non-anonymous intranet too. :stare:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

The next day, it was gone.

Yep, par for the course. HR's idea of 'tolerance' is whatever keeps the majority comfortable. The rest of the employees are just an inconvenience. Though, given my general cynicism, I'm surprised that they didn't just wipe your contributions and leave the rest.

Last year at my 2nd company, an rear end in a top hat in the cafeteria used to complain rather loudly about the 'muslim food' I ate. It was hummus and pita bread, but this was Indiana where such things are apparently foreign and scary. I got a call from HR a week later calling me in to discuss a personnel issue. Apparently, someone (that stupid gently caress in the cafeteria, I expect) complained that I was offending his cultural beliefs and heritage by my meal choices, and they sent me to cultural sensitivity training for two days. For the horrible sin of eating hummus in the cafeteria.

I was still in my probationary period and had a huge relo penalty hanging over my head if I got fired, so my response was "yes ma'am," but what I really wish I could have said was "WHY THE gently caress AM I THE INSENSITIVE ONE HERE?" The entire point of 'cultural sensitivity' is that you're supposed to respect the things other people do, not force them to not do any of it in order to make the majority comfortable. It was loving hummus, for god's sake.

Oh, right, I forgot. I'm the minority here (in numeric terms; I'm as white as they get otherwise) because it's Indiana and their idea of food in this shithole is a white-bread PBJ sandwich with a side of corn and gravy. Oops.

I also had a charity drive organized by my wife's temple pulled from the company classifieds because it was deemed "a religious purpose," while all the protestant church fundraisers and potlucks were permitted due to "approved, non-religious purposes."

I am so happy to be leaving this state. The combination of midwestern shittiness and corporate bureaucracy made the last 1.5 years pretty amazingly bad.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 20, 2013

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I work in an EXTREMELY Baptist town in the south. The natives who work here are pretty unbearable to be around. I've had passive aggressive comments made at me that my marriage won't last because I met my fiance in a bar and not at church (the horror!), and heard a genuine suggestion that we replace our very Muslim customer's Quran with a Bible :psyduck: poo poo like that happens on a nearly daily basis. If I were to complain it'd go nowhere because HR is staffed by ultra religious people as well.

Thankfully we're about 50/50 transplants from elsewhere and natives, so the transplants generally stick together to make things bearable.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Sundae posted:

Last year at my 2nd company, an rear end in a top hat in the cafeteria used to complain rather loudly about the 'muslim food' I ate. It was hummus and pita bread, but this was Indiana where such things are apparently foreign and scary. I got a call from HR a week later calling me in to discuss a personnel issue. Apparently, someone (that stupid gently caress in the cafeteria, I expect) complained that I was offending his cultural beliefs and heritage by my meal choices, and they sent me to cultural sensitivity training for two days. For the horrible sin of eating hummus in the cafeteria.

It boggles the mind that there are actually people in this world who are dumb enough to be mortally offended because someone near them is eating hummus, yet are somehow functional enough to hold down a real job. :psyduck: I'm impressed that you had the self-control to quietly accept your punishment instead of laughing uncontrollably in your HR rep's face and walking away, though. Don't think I could have managed that.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Go from the angle of "I'm absolutely horrified to find out I've been violating company polices on cultural sensitivity, I don't want it to ever happen again. I'd really appreciate a detailed description of my offense and an explanation of exactly how it violates our rules. What are some suggestions on better ways to handle this kind of problem in the future. Are there other foods that are forbidden? Is it okay for me to abstain from eating fish on Fridays or will that be offensive?"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Go from the angle of "I'm absolutely horrified to find out I've been violating company polices on cultural sensitivity, I don't want it to ever happen again. I'd really appreciate a detailed description of my offense and an explanation of exactly how it violates our rules. What are some suggestions on better ways to handle this kind of problem in the future. Are there other foods that are forbidden? Is it okay for me to abstain from eating fish on Fridays or will that be offensive?"
I'm sure this would be tempting but I think this situation is at the point where you just have realize that everyone you're dealing with is completely insane and just smile and nod and get out of there as quickly as humanly possible.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

dennyk posted:

It boggles the mind that there are actually people in this world who are dumb enough to be mortally offended because someone near them is eating hummus, yet are somehow functional enough to hold down a real job. :psyduck: I'm impressed that you had the self-control to quietly accept your punishment instead of laughing uncontrollably in your HR rep's face and walking away, though. Don't think I could have managed that.

Mystes has it right. You pretty much just say "what?" to yourself and back slowly away. Also, I was very aware of the financial penalty hanging over my head (fired in first year = I owed back the full costs of relocation + "training" + first bonus). No way I was risking that over some insane people. My last day was the 14th, so I'm free now. :)

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

lavaca posted:

draw dickbutt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Sundae posted:

Mystes has it right. You pretty much just say "what?" to yourself and back slowly away. Also, I was very aware of the financial penalty hanging over my head (fired in first year = I owed back the full costs of relocation + "training" + first bonus). No way I was risking that over some insane people. My last day was the 14th, so I'm free now. :)

Congratulations! Hope the new place is better.

Speaking of new places I should be working on my presentation (third interview...) for tomorrow. So I'm going to go do that now :v: