Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

tehschulman posted:

DJing is (read: should be) entirely an improvised performance too.

I find it usually involves a lot of repeating patterns that you know will work well together - this song mixes well with that song, etc. What I mean by improvised though is that technology has gotten to the point where being a DJ is much easier than it used to be, both in technical improvements and cost of entry. I started in the late 90s where you essentially had to spend thousands of dollars on records and equipment. Nowadays you can do a pretty good mix on a laptop running Traktor with no headphones if you know all the keyboard shortcuts.

So I think the bar has risen and people expect to see more of a show than they used to - if you want to be really successful these days you have employ some sort of live element. Traditionally adding a percussionist is a good idea, but the technology is there to do a lot of more interesting things like keyboards and samplers, vocalists, mcs, playing all your own remixes, etc. I think incorporating these elements into a DJ set is necessary at this point in order to stand out from the herd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I saw Terravita last night and they had a terrible rapper rapping over their stuff most of the time. It was corny and stupid and I hated it, so I hope that's not what you mean by MCs.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

LISTEN TO ME posted:

90 minute gabber set to a 12pm brunch crowd

150 BPM Nailcore DnB with nothing but a Laptop running Virtual DJ out of the Headphone Jack with Flanger permanently on.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

an skeleton posted:

I saw Terravita last night and they had a terrible rapper rapping over their stuff most of the time. It was corny and stupid and I hated it, so I hope that's not what you mean by MCs.

Well you need good mcs. I just think it takes more to impress people these days. Nobody seems to get famous from playing other people's records anymore.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

bad day posted:

Well you need good mcs. I just think it takes more to impress people these days. Nobody seems to get famous from playing other people's records anymore.

there are still career djs that do that though, correct?

LISTEN TO ME
Jun 1, 2006

Crispy Chicken Slamwich

an skeleton posted:

there are still career djs that do that though, correct?

Yes. Being a working DJ is basically a trade, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I played a D&B gig on Friday, first time with a proper MC. He was great - the whole night was great. I was worried that he wouldn't shut up, but he showed some good discretion. Also forced myself to spin exclusively off of my CDJ2000s with a USB stick (virtually the same in function as using CDs in them). I've done it at home plenty of times, but never live before - our crew is mostly Traktor DJs and I haul all of my own gear to our shows, so we usually end up playing off of my laptop. Man, it felt GREAT not staring at a loving laptop! I was worried I'd forget my 'load>cue downbeat>load hotcues' procedure but after the first couple of transitions it just became automatic. So very satisfying, definitely doing that one from now on.

You know what's a mixed blessing, though? When other DJs load their tracks into my Traktor rig. I acquired about 200 D&B tracks from my buddies that night. The 'mixed' part of that blessing is that nobody (but nobody) is as much of a stickler for track organization as I, so I have my work cut out for me in terms of re-tagging/cueing everything. And before you start off about taking other people's music, I'm the first guy to share my (pristine, crystal-clear organized) purchased tracks with fellow DJs.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
If you use Rekordox and the quantize function a Nexus is up there with software wrt automation.

LISTEN TO ME
Jun 1, 2006

Crispy Chicken Slamwich
You guys part of any record pools/DDSs?

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

bad day posted:

So I think the bar has risen and people expect to see more of a show than they used to - if you want to be really successful these days you have employ some sort of live element. Traditionally adding a percussionist is a good idea, but the technology is there to do a lot of more interesting things like keyboards and samplers, vocalists, mcs, playing all your own remixes, etc. I think incorporating these elements into a DJ set is necessary at this point in order to stand out from the herd.

No. Please, don't do any of this. If you're going to do a live set, do a live set. If you're going to DJ, DJ. You're not Jeff loving Mills on the 909 when you paw around on a kaoss pad in the middle of your set. If it sounded better that way the producer would have added all of those things. Let the tracks work for you. If you want a busier track, play a busier track. People who matter take notice when you respect the craft.

Edit: also mostly this VVVVV

Dopo fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 11, 2013

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

The way to stand out as a DJ is to be a producer :v:

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Dopo posted:

If it sounded better that way the producer would have added all of those things.

Right, which is why no one remixes tracks ever.

Like, sometimes you find something that really does sound better than the original. I have a couple of tracks that I basically always apply certain effects to certain sections, because it sounds better that way. I'd make an edit, but I like that it sounds different every time I play it.

I'm not wailing on effects pads the whole way through or making up new basslines on the fly, but the way I see it, if you want to hear the track exactly as it was released, go loving buy it yourself and listen to it. I'm up here for a reason and it's not just to be a highly intelligent crossfader.

The producer had a vision in their head, and if they executed on it well and it resonates with me, I'll play their track. But I have my own ideas about what sounds amazing, which will never perfectly line up with anyone else's. I'm going to try to bring that track closer to my idea of what sounds amazing when I play it. I still want it to be recognizable as theirs when I do, but I love hearing that someone loves a track the way I play it (and I frequently do).

Dessert Rose fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 11, 2013

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

LISTEN TO ME posted:

You guys part of any record pools/DDSs?

I have a membership to DJCity. It's $90 for 3 months. Download as much as you want, whenever you want. Most songs are in 320kbps but I do have a few that are lower. Really good selection of top 40 / remixes, big room house stuff, and lately trap. You can download each song individually, so if you only want the clean edits or whatever it's easy. Great preview system too, similar to beatport.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

Dessert Rose posted:

big misdirected tirade

I never said that effects were useless. I was responding to a dude who was talking about live drum setups and crazy poo poo like that and calling it necessary. Dial it down man.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Dopo posted:

I never said that effects were useless. I was responding to a dude who was talking about live drum setups and crazy poo poo like that and calling it necessary. Dial it down man.

oh, well, now don't I look like a dumb.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Dopo posted:

I think you're taking my meaning in the extreme sense, when really I just mean that nowadays people expect more of a show.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

bad day posted:

people expect more of a show.

I think I would say that in some cases, sure, especially in EDM Rave Festival America (and I guess in Hard Bass City As Well:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH39SWERo-M) . But in all cases, or even in the majority of cases, this is not the case. Why are DJs like Klock, Dettmann, Paul Woolford, Ben UFO, Steffi, Surgeon, and even like Seth Troxler and DJ Harvey etc, so high in demand (and they are) when they don't "put on a show"? Because there are still a lot of people who just want to dance and not watch a spectacle.

As a dancer, I can tell you that I definitely do not want a show, I want a DJ who will play records, and play them well, and that's it. I know what kind of selection I'll get depending on the DJ, and that's what I want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pA5kNWb45Q&t=62m7s

actually i dont think the dude crying at 62:56 really wants a show other than cool lights.

a milk crime fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 11, 2013

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

bad day posted:

good mcs.

Hahahahah what?

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

a milk crime posted:

As a dancer, I can tell you that I definitely do not want a show, I want a DJ who will play records, and play them well, and that's it. I know what kind of selection I'll get depending on the DJ, and that's what I want.

Yeah, this is it basically. The more this #EDM garbage blows up the more I just want to hear someone mix good records in a small, dark room. I can get down with the lightshow-and-fireworks stuff very rarely but the best parties I've been to are completely stripped down, just the music and a dancefloor and some party people.

Muck and Mire fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 11, 2013

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

mitztronic posted:

Hahahahah what?

Ya know, the rudeboys who go "BO BO BO BRRRAP BAP BAP" while you just hammer on the sample for the dub siren.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

I need it

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?
Count me in, the X1 is a great piece of hardware, and this looks even better. Strange it wasn't announced the same time as the Z1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXaD3KZ_2T0

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

So I have a strange question for all the djs in this thread. All the djs I know are good at finding clips, but can any of you point me to the FX mp3 that plays when you deposit a quarter in a skeeball machine? I found clips of people rolling them but thats not what I am after. I'd like the few second sound the machine makes when it releases the balls to you.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
I'm no expert but I'd imagine that machines that old don't store audio. It probably synthesizes it. If anyone has this clip it will just be a recording of a machine so you might as well just grab a mic and head to an arcade and do it yourself.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

As it so happens there is an arcade/bar a few blocks from his house with skeeball machines

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

I'm searching for the name of an old funky house track that was released on vinyl sometime between 1997-2001. It samples the chorus and horns from Donna Allen - Serious, but otherwise it's a funky house track typical of the style. I also remember there was some slap bass action in it. It's definitely not either of the first two results searching for "donna allen serious remix" on Youtube.

Any late 90s househeads wanna help a brother out? It's been driving me insane for many years and I would LOVE to get my mitts on that record.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Have you checked whosampled.com?

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

vanilla slimfast posted:

Have you checked whosampled.com?
Ya. The two results it returned were a happy hardcore song and another classic-vibe house track!
I think it was probably just one of those tracks on some tiny imprint that release like 400 copies, which are all buried in someone's moldy garage by now.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

I know this is a super common question but what's a good controller for someone getting into DJing? $300 budget give or take a bit.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
If you have an iPad: http://createdigitalmusic.com/2013/06/dj-to-go-a-compact-controller-interface-for-traktor-on-ios-or-desktop/

I mean, depends what you mean by getting into. Will you actually be playing out on it or would you be putting your tracks on CD's/USB-sticks? You can DJ with a cheap rear end plastic controller but the general opinion seems to be that the iPad app is good, if not even better than the interface most controllers actually offer.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

This is actually for a friend, I'm familiar with CDJs and turntables and stuff but he wants to get into DJing with about $300 to spend on it. I'm not really sure what to recommend in that case, but he mostly just wants to get a feel for mixing and overall DJing

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I've been looking around for something at this price point. Best compromise I've been able to find is the Numark Mixtrack Pro II (the $299 model has a built in audio interface, so for $199 you can go without that and save money).

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
The Mixtrack II does look kind of sweet in it's own plasticy way. I've only played on a Mixtrack Pro a few times but it was doable. It does pretty much exactly what it says on the box. The II version has those pads so you can actually have some cue points and map some stuff, and he can upgrade to Serato DJ for more features (and better fx) at some point if he wishes. There is most likely nothing wrong with it except from that the unit might not stand up to being dragged around as well as more expensive stuff being dragged aound, general wear and tear will show more, and it does probably not have the butteriest scratch faders in the world. Pro has audio out but is more expensive, maybe easier to sell though?

e: If he doesn't have a sufficient audio interface already he'll want pro anyway, I mean headphones.

utamaru fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 14, 2013

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Z1 might be a good choice. It's like an S2/S4 without the platters and has the audio interface built in

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N9C8CD9Xe8

I'm trying to incorporate a lot of live elements into my sets (Remix Decks up the wazoo, Ipad things, Live vocalists/instrumentalists that I've dragged to practice with) but holy poo poo :stare:

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Solus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N9C8CD9Xe8

I'm trying to incorporate a lot of live elements into my sets (Remix Decks up the wazoo, Ipad things, Live vocalists/instrumentalists that I've dragged to practice with) but holy poo poo :stare:

Theres a reason they dont show his screen. He isnt doing any of that in Maschine, he is just launching a bunch of clips out of Ableton, and if you have ever used ableton, you dont even have to really time it right, just hit the buttons in the right sequence. I was super disappointed by that when I realized what was going on.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Old Man Pants posted:

Theres a reason they dont show his screen. He isnt doing any of that in Maschine, he is just launching a bunch of clips out of Ableton, and if you have ever used ableton, you dont even have to really time it right, just hit the buttons in the right sequence. I was super disappointed by that when I realized what was going on.

It looks like it was less rigid than that - the tempo change would have been really tough to coordinate. There are lots of guys who are really fast and accurate on button controllers. Look up launchpad videos for examples.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Old Man Pants posted:

http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/11/04/interview-bass-kleph-shares-his-maschine-secrets/

Based off his Interview he does use Maschine, and custom makes his kits to make it a lot easier to fingerdrum. He made one of his songs available to download as a Maschine kit and it has a few very distinct patterns that he shows in the video. I can't find it at the moment though

You can use Maschine hardware through Ableton so I dunno you may be right.It's definitely not on the level of something like M4SONIC's performances

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'd like some advice on a budget (around 250 bucks) dj set-up. Been looking at getting this interface that comes with Ableton Lite or buying a Kontrol Z1 for slightly more. A decent mixer with both soundcard and Ableton would be perfect, but I don't know if that exists.

Up to now, I've been playing with Traktor and a Korg Nanokontrol, but would like to get a bit more serious. Definitely going to need an audio interface, but I also want to:
a)Get Ableton Live, as I've spent way too much time messing with hotcues and loops in Traktor, and it looks like it would be better for what I'm trying to do.
b)Purchase a decent mixer and use the Nano for cues and effects instead.

Unfortunately a budget of around 250 bucks turns this into an either/or situation as far as I can tell.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Solus posted:

http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/11/04/interview-bass-kleph-shares-his-maschine-secrets/

Based off his Interview he does use Maschine, and custom makes his kits to make it a lot easier to fingerdrum. He made one of his songs available to download as a Maschine kit and it has a few very distinct patterns that he shows in the video. I can't find it at the moment though

You can use Maschine hardware through Ableton so I dunno you may be right.It's definitely not on the level of something like M4SONIC's performances

The only reason I can say that, is because his performances were one of the reasons I bought a Maschine, and was very excited to see him do all that cool stuff live, and was really let down when I got into the dj booth and saw that he was basically faking it. It is still a very cool performance, but not very impressive once the curtain comes back. Take his Maschine kit, set the sounds as clips in ableton, and organize them by groups (drums, synths, leads) and map your Maschine to those clips and and the A-D buttons to the groups in midi mode, and you could pull off this same performance with a few hours of practice and setup.

Edit: a good friend of mine who also uses Maschine as a 4th deck in step sequencer mode in Traktor went with me to see him and was also super disappointed.

Old Man Pants fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 20, 2013