Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
A van honked at me for no real reason this morning. I waved and kept going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Pope Mobile posted:

A van honked at me for no real reason this morning. I waved and kept going.

I sometimes honk because I'm just repositioning my bars and accidentally hit the horn button. Drivers are always so mad that I honked "at" them :3:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I do that when turning off my indicators. This guy laid it on. :iiam:

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
I sometimes just lean on the horn for no reason and shout "YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA" at the top of my lungs while I'm riding for no good reason.

I am not a well man.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

n8r posted:

Nope reading comprehension is at 100% sir. You went all crazy worried about breaking down on this road trip but cheaped out on the single piece of gear that can fail and leave you stranded. Why not just replace the piece of poo poo belt when you got the bike or whatever. You did the equivalent of leaving for a road trip with a chain that was on it's last legs.

Duder, he knew his current belt was on its last legs, so he packed a spare. A 1.5 hour roadside repair is annoying, but it's hardly "stranded."

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

epalm posted:

I sometimes honk because I'm just repositioning my bars and accidentally hit the horn button. Drivers are always so mad that I honked "at" them :3:

Can't tell you how many pedestrians I've done this to already.

Quick question for east coast riders. Has anyone taken the Cornerspeed dirt class in North Carolina? I met someone at the dmv last weekend who said it gave him valuable experience on controlling the bike with the rear tire sliding. After looking at their website I'm pretty convinced I want to take a few days off and head down there for the class, plus lots of scenic NC roads. Just wondering if anyone has any stories or opinions on this course in particular.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

epalm posted:

Better than the way I somehow hit the kill switch on any motorcycle when riding every once in awhile.

420 pages post about motorcycles everyday.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

hot sauce posted:

Quick question for east coast riders. Has anyone taken the Cornerspeed dirt class in North Carolina? I met someone at the dmv last weekend who said it gave him valuable experience on controlling the bike with the rear tire sliding. After looking at their website I'm pretty convinced I want to take a few days off and head down there for the class, plus lots of scenic NC roads. Just wondering if anyone has any stories or opinions on this course in particular.

I took it a few years ago, 2010 I think. I had a great time and I'd say it helped me panic less when tires do start to slide whether its riding dirt, street or track. I'd love to do it again but just don't have the time this year. DO IT

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
These are on sale:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-bassbuds-earphones-2?p=2&utm_medium=afl&utm_campaign=227502&utm_source=rvs

..and I was wondering if anyone has used them under a helmet, or has other suggestions for earbuds for riding.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

NitroSpazzz posted:

I took it a few years ago, 2010 I think. I had a great time and I'd say it helped me panic less when tires do start to slide whether its riding dirt, street or track. I'd love to do it again but just don't have the time this year. DO IT

I was pretty sold after hearing about it initially, I think I'm going to try and schedule something in September or October. Also going to try and find a cheap hotel down there as it is a 5 hour ride for me.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Gweenz posted:

These are on sale:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-bassbuds-earphones-2?p=2&utm_medium=afl&utm_campaign=227502&utm_source=rvs

..and I was wondering if anyone has used them under a helmet, or has other suggestions for earbuds for riding.

nsaP posted:

I put some holes thru earplugs that I cut a bit shorter and have been using those. As long as there's a hole all the way thru the sound comes out well. A soldering iron or hot nail on one end make a smooth hole that can wrap around the headphone end. I do that first, then drilled the hole thru the rest of it.

As for them falling out, the foam helps that for one, but I tuck mine thru my helmet strap. After I feed the strap thru both buckles I put the cable in between both buckles, then finish threading the strap thru. When you pull on the cable it tends to just pull on the neck strap.

I find there's so much wind noise thru the cable and in general that quality ear buds aren't worth it. I think I had a pair of skullcandy's before, I don't even know what kind I have now. I pretty much go find whatever 20 dollar pair of buds has a mic attachment. The wind makes the mic useless while riding but I can answer calls and pull over. I found that talking while riding took too much of my attention away from the road when I took some calls at 25 mph or so, anyway.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bruiser posted:

I sometimes just lean on the horn for no reason and shout "YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA" at the top of my lungs while I'm riding for no good reason.

I am not a well man.

Yeah I do this but it tends to be when people are merging into me.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Z3n posted:

Yeah I do this but it tends to be when people are merging into me.

Hopefully you have a pleasant conversation once inside their car.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Gweenz posted:

These are on sale:

Etymotic. Yeah, they're expensive, but they cut 35+ dB of noise and I've never had them snag or pull on a helmet. I can't remember which ones I have, mc5 or 3 or something, but they have a mic and music controls for iPhone and android. I tried Skullcandy (broke within a month and didnt stay in my ears), Klipsch s4i's that were pretty good until an ex stole them, and I had a pair of Shure's that broke twice.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Do etymotics have cords that don't horribly tangle the second you look at them yet?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

wallaka posted:

Etymotic.

I'm interested, but how can I order a $100+ pair of 'phones without knowing which tip to choose? I have hilariously narrow ear canals.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

hot sauce posted:

I was pretty sold after hearing about it initially, I think I'm going to try and schedule something in September or October. Also going to try and find a cheap hotel down there as it is a 5 hour ride for me.

I stayed at the Day's Inn off exit 76 (US-52), it was cheap and food was within walking distance. I think the cornerspin crew and most people stay at the courtyard on the other side of I-85. Once you decide on a date PM me, I may join you.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

epalm posted:

I'm interested, but how can I order a $100+ pair of 'phones without knowing which tip to choose? I have hilariously narrow ear canals.

My ear holes are the same size as a standard size Q-tip swab. If yours are similar, nothing universal will fit without pain. I had to drop much more on customs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

epalm posted:

Each set comes with a bunch of tips unless they've gone really bargain basement since I bought my last pair.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

The cords are thick enough to not tangle much, and it comes with like 5 sets of tips. I think mine cost $75 or so, and if you don't care about controls they are $50. If you can put a set of small Christmas-tree style earplugs in, they'll fit. I can't wear the larger size of earplug without pain, but these phones worked for me.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Pokey Araya posted:

All you chumps complaining about hot weather need to shove it. I'm on tour with a band and we drove for 9 hours from Pittsburgh to Worsher(or some variation on that stupid spelling) and it rained the whole drive. Now its 4 am and it hasn't stopped a bit. I'm kinda missing Texas 98 degree weather, loading tons of amps in the rain blows.

The wife and I did back to back 9 hour days in Texas in 104f and 105f heat. It was absolutely brutal.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Motorcycle.com released their Bolt vs 883 Iron comparison:
http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2013-harley-davidson-883-iron-2014-star-bolt-comparison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INnA7UXwcLs

quote:

If we told you that you could purchase a brand-new urban performance bobber with a blacked out V-Twin engine and components, a stripped neo-industrial appearance and a low seat height that’s ideal for new-ish, female or those “short of leg,” all for under eight grand, would you bite? There are two motorcycle manufacturers producing such a bike. Your choice is between the proven machine with a few well-documented idiosyncrasies, or the upstart contender that’s eager to take on the champ.

Most things being equal – both are stylish, quality-built and cool as all get-out – the obvious deciding factor would be price, right? Sorry, misers, their cost is pretty much equal, too. So how does one decide between the established American legend and the imported arriviste? If you’re on the staff of Motorcycle.com, you ride the hell out of them, and whichever impresses the most, wins.

That’s precisely the thankless task we undertook, when we ran the Harley-Davidson Sportster Iron 883 XL883N and the new Star Bolt up the proverbial flagpole. While the Iron stood its ground, proud and perhaps slightly complacent, the Bolt, which impressed so much on our initial review back in April, worked smarter (not harder), and proved a worthy contender. After a week of boulevard cruises, freeway slogs, dyno runs and twisty tests, the winner is… Well, it depends on whom you ask.

Right off the bat, let’s get this out in the open, because there’s just no sugarcoating it: The 2014 Star Bolt is a shameless rip-off of the Harley Iron 883. Harsh? Hey, the truth stings. From its stripped-down styling to its darkened color scheme, from its muscular profile to its glowering countenance, the Bolt does little to conceal its affinity for the Iron. Heck, it even sports a mono-syllabic, industrial-esque noun for a name. It’s like the Single White Female of bobbers.

The new Bolt is more than just a flattering imitation of the Iron. It’s the latest (and perhaps most brazen) in a decades-long line of bald-faced Asian knockoffs.

That said, Star’s Bolt is more than just the Iron’s creepy stalker. Light, compact and powerful, it’s truly a kick-rear end little motorcycle. Better, it benefits from having learned from Harley’s mistakes. From this vantage point, Star has taken the production Urban Bobber concept and produced a more refined package than Harley’s, with more on-road stability and far superior suspension – the Iron’s two infamous liabilities.

The Iron 883 counters simply on the virtue of its badging. It looks, feels, sounds and rides like a Harley, which for many riders is all a bike needs to be judged a superior machine. The Iron and its big brother, the Nightster 1200, were pioneers of the stripped down café/bobber craze so prevalent in the industry these days, so it’s no wonder Star would want a slice of that popular pie; pilfering demographics has been the modus operandi of Japanese OEMs since the ’70s.

One look at the photos demonstrates how similar these bikes are in style, size and purpose. Both are lightweight bobbers, small enough to accommodate most any rider. Both feature sub-1000cc V-Twin engines: the Sportster rocks Harley’s signature 883cc Evo, while the Star uses the identical powerplant found in its V Star 950 cruiser, a 942cc 60-degree V-Twin. The Bolt is a slightly larger bike (and rides like it), with a wider fuel tank and an overall length of 90.2 inches versus the Iron’s 85.8, but the Bolt has a 2-inch shorter wheelbase.

The Iron is 25 pounds heavier, with a curb weight of 565 pounds as opposed to the Bolt’s 540, and it carries its weight lower, with a seat height of 26.9 inches and a ground clearance of 3.9 inches. Meanwhile the Bolt carries its rider at 27.2 inches and sits 5.1 inches off the pavement. Both bikes sport black spoke wheels, the Harley using 13-spoke jobs while the Star makes do with 12. And both motorcycles feature 100/90-19 tires in the front and 150/80-16 hoops in the back.

Around town, both bikes handle nimbly, their light weights and short wheelbases contributing to their fine agility. Both feel quick and speedy, in the same way my ’67 VW Bug seemed quick and speedy. That is to say, they’re not quote-unquote fast motorcycles – but the low seat height, strong low-end torque, easy maneuverability and pronounced rider feedback provide the zipping sensation fans of bobbers crave.

The most glaring difference between these bobbers, though, lies in what Star tried so hard to improve upon – suspension. Oh, it also looks the same on both. The Star has 41mm fork tubes; the Harley’s measure 39mm. And both bikes feature twin coil-over shocks in the rear. (Note: Bolt’s R-Spec, tested here, takes advantage of piggyback gas canisters on its rear shocks – their difference is negligible for small- and average-sized riders, more noticeable for big guys.)

But here’s the thing: The Bolt boasts front suspension travel of 4.7 inches, while the Iron allows just 3.6 inches of bounce. Further, the Iron manages barely an inch and a half (1.6 inches) of rear travel, while Star’s rear shocks up the ante to 2.8 inches. The Iron’s suspension simply can’t hold a candle to the Bolt’s KYB components. Score one for Star.
Now, the Iron’s seat posits the rider nearly half an inch lower than the Bolt, but considering the Iron’s notorious gut-punching suspension (upon the bike’s introduction, some joked that it ought to come with a bar-and-shield branded kidney belt), the trade-off is one that some average and large riders will accept.

Roderick points out another advantage of the Star’s higher seat. “The rider triangle on the Bolt is slightly roomier,” he notes, “making it feel like a normal-size bike compared to the Iron’s lower seat height and more restrictive cockpit.”

Star scores another hit with its controls. While neither bike offers adjustable hand levers, the Bolt’s are freer and take less effort to operate, traits that carry over to the foot levers. While Harley may relish the mechanical sounds and sensations that riding its bikes offers, the long run favors quieter, more efficient actuation.

Even better, the Bolt utilizes 1.5-inch handgrips, while the buzzy Iron makes do with 1.25-inch grips. It’s only a slight difference, but the Star’s thicker grips more fully fill the rider’s palm. Combine that firmer hold with less rattle and hum, as it were, and the Bolt rider is provided more substantial control. This is a key riding component in a bike of smallish stature – particularly on the highway.

And that is where the separation between the quirky established bike and the plucky upstart really becomes apparent. At 65 mph, the Iron feels lithe and buzzy, with a willowy footprint that is too often blown off-line, requiring constant rider input. Moreover, all of these traits provide its rider with a teeth-rattling vibration in the butt, feet and hands – an unnerving sensation that’s exacerbated by the wavering mirrors and hard, unforgiving suspension.

The Star, meanwhile, runs smoother and is more poised. Its thicker grips, better suspension, steadier rear-view mirrors and surer stance all pitch in to provide superior stability and rider confidence over the Iron, especially when surrounded by speeding semis and texting cagers. Freeway commuters in the market for a bobber such as these would definitely be wise to opt for the Star.

Star also bests the Iron in the brake department. The Harley features a single 292mm disc up front and a 260mm disc in the rear, while the Bolt uses larger 298mm wave-type rotors on both wheels. Both bikes utilize two-piston calipers up front, one out back – neither offers ABS – but whether you chalk it up to the larger rotors or perhaps to the more surefooted feel of the Bolt, Star’s brakes vastly outperformed the Iron’s. Grip came quicker, and held more firmly. Star scores again.

Another difference of note is instrumentation. Both bikes feature a round solo gauge that lets you scroll through clock and odo/tripmeter functions, but the Harley’s analog speedo sits up straight between the grips. The Star, on the other hand, makes use of a digital LCD speedo with a smoked lens that sits down low on the tank. It looks cool, especially considering the matching LED taillight – yet is annoyingly hard to read in direct sunlight.

“Harley claims only one degree less lean angle on the right side of the Iron (29° vs 30°),” Tom points out, “but it feels like a half-dozen degrees when the lower muffler begins dragging through a moderate turn. Add in the limited amount of rear shock travel and you’ve a mechanism for destroying exhaust pipe chrome.”

Things are rosier for the Iron 883 in several other key aspects of motorcycles such as these. It lives up to Harley’s reputation in sound, feel and performance, and the bike stands apart from the Star in its attention to detail and its fit and finish.

“The H-D has a flangeless fuel tank and its overall packaging is tight,” Tom says. “The Star has an unsightly gap between the tank and the seat, among other styling foibles such as the plastic rear fender extender. Why didn’t Star simply make a long enough metal fender? And the clearances between the downtubes and engine appear as if it’s an engine and frame sourced from two other models then bolted together.” Tom’s got a point; perhaps that’s where Star got the name.

Still, Tom and I agree that despite being a blatant knockoff, Star has produced a damned respectable “urban performance bobber” that not only stands up to its role model but bests it on many levels.

“A bigger engine with more power, better brakes and much better suspension make the Bolt a better performing motorcycle than the Harley,” Roderick concludes.

So does Harley have reason to worry? Doubtful. The pretenders know it’s going to take more than a marginally better machine to dethrone the MoCo in any segment, so they have traditionally come in at a lower price point than Harley-Davidson. Curiously, Star chose to price its 2014 Bolt at $7990 – nine measly dollars less than the Iron. Moreover, the R-Spec version we tested, with its color/graphics options, contrasting saddle stitching, and alloy piggyback shock canisters, runs $8,290.

For those without allegiances, the Star Bolt is a worthy adversary to the Iron 883 – it’s a better bike overall, and Yamaha reports that its early sales have exceeded expectations. But in the end, the allure of the illustrious H-D brand is a powerful tonic, so it’s easy to see why many shopping trips begin and end at the Harley dealership.

It's interesting how one of them preferred the Bolt because it's better in every factor outside of looks and "attention to detail" (I'll fully admit that the Iron looks better because it looks "tighter") while the other guy goes with the Iron simply because "Harley".
I think it's actually a pretty accurate representation of what it's going to look like when people go shopping for their next bike: You've got your brand loyalists who don't give a poo poo about anything other than Their Brand. It's the same way for people who hate a specific brand: I've got a friend who hates Hondas simply because they're Hondas (Hey man how you doing? Mumble tonight? When you going to Portland?) Outside of the Branders, you get people who look at the specs, test the bikes, and don't let brand sway them. Some people will go for the bike that they think looks and sounds better while others go with the one they thought performed better. I mean, you could say this about shopping for anything, but I find it interesting that it's how this comparison played out. I wish they did it with more people, though.

There's also the whole "blatantly ripping off HD" thing. Japanese brands have been doing this forever (as they mentioned in the article). I don't think anyone was under any illusion they weren't. That being said, this is the most blatant instance. Yamaha is going directly for HD's market share and are doing it by offering a bike that rips off the competition almost 100% and has better performance. I think it's a smart move compared to the alternative of trying to offer the same type of bike with different styling. HD has been doing something that works, so Yamaha is copying it.

Hopefully Yamaha is successful with this that they can eventually add in some visual changes (while still offering the standard style). I hope they convince a good enough number of people that HD isn't the only option, and it eventually leads to a larger variety. There hasn't been a lot of (good) variety in the cruiser market lately that I can think of. Everyone's too busy with adventure bikes.

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
Does anyone else feel out of place at bike nights? I went to one at a local bar when one of my buddies invited me. He ended up not showing, and I didn't know anyone there. It seemed like everyone knew each other and I was just kind of standing around by myself next to the bike and feeling like an antisocial twat. Like, I would have gone and looked at the bikes and poo poo and met some people, but everyone was off in the groups they rode in with.

It was like highschool, but with bikes.

Also, 'Busas.

'Busas everywhere.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
OK guys! Picked up my bike today after a brisk 4 hour ride I am officially well pleased. Interesting notes: dudes will check out your bike. Pretty girls will check you out. The street triple will go from 60 to 93 in ..... faster than the little LCD speedo can refresh, it just kind of blinks 60 then 90. I'm pretty sure it can go faster yet. I highly recommend you wear a flip face helmet. Why you might ask?

I was following some Volvo convertible off the highway, we happened to take the same surface road a few miles down and turn left at the same street light. At the light the girl puts the top down and STRETCHES really deliberately, like hands up and out. So I flipped my facemask up and then STRETCHED my arms up and out in a good imitation of her, then smiled real big and flipped my mask back down (gravel +40 mph+ face= teh suck) , she beeps the horn at me and turns around to look at me while pantomiming the "Why'd you put your mask back down?" shrug thing so I smiled and waved and we went on down the road. Little did she know I'm actually just some kind fat guy under all the armor and such.

In a word- I love my bike. Best.purchase.ever.

Edit, also I got a cover and a disc lock, so I park my bike at the front of the parking structure near where you leave to walk into apartments, only all you see is a tire with a disc lock on it. Safe move or asking for trouble?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah bike nights are awkward if you don't know anyone. The local one here is almost all sport bike bros. I show up with a 1978 BMW or a 1964 Vespa and it doesn't quite work. No busas though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

The wife and I did back to back 9 hour days in Texas in 104f and 105f heat. It was absolutely brutal.
You're back. I was wondering about you and the Gen 2.0 Connie before the heat fix. How bad was it?

I've heard everything from absolutely awful as in may as well put some sauce on my legs before riding

to

"Don't waste your money on a 2010+ because they're overpriced with no real improvements" :smuggo:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

PadreScout posted:

OK guys! Picked up my bike today after a brisk 4 hour ride I am officially well pleased. Interesting notes: dudes will check out your bike. Pretty girls will check you out. The street triple will go from 60 to 93 in ..... faster than the little LCD speedo can refresh, it just kind of blinks 60 then 90. I'm pretty sure it can go faster yet. I highly recommend you wear a flip face helmet. Why you might ask?

I was following some Volvo convertible off the highway, we happened to take the same surface road a few miles down and turn left at the same street light. At the light the girl puts the top down and STRETCHES really deliberately, like hands up and out. So I flipped my facemask up and then STRETCHED my arms up and out in a good imitation of her, then smiled real big and flipped my mask back down (gravel +40 mph+ face= teh suck) , she beeps the horn at me and turns around to look at me while pantomiming the "Why'd you put your mask back down?" shrug thing so I smiled and waved and we went on down the road. Little did she know I'm actually just some kind fat guy under all the armor and such.

In a word- I love my bike. Best.purchase.ever.

Last year I got holla'd at by these two cuties in a jacked-up Landcruiser. While on a moped.

:japan:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

n8r posted:

Wait, so let me get this straight. You went spegmaster on your toolkit and spares you were taking but decided to not use a belt that is actually made for motorcycle usage?

To be fair, according to the manufacturer reps I've spoken to bike belts are constructed largely the same as their industrial power transmission counterparts. Generally they have a slightly different pitch or width though so I am kind of surprised the bike actually had one on.

Do you remember what it was?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

slidebite posted:

You're back. I was wondering about you and the Gen 2.0 Connie before the heat fix. How bad was it?

I've heard everything from absolutely awful as in may as well put some sauce on my legs before riding

to

"Don't waste your money on a 2010+ because they're overpriced with no real improvements" :smuggo:

It was hot, no question about it. I certainly made a point not to sit still on the bike. Switching it off didn't help at all either. Oddly enough when it's cool out there is absolutely no heat at all, but when it's over 85f it's absolutely brutal.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The one bike night I go to on occasion is mostly aging hipsters on Monsters and old leaky Guzzis, so it's fairly easy to start a chat even if it devolves into esoteric ancient bike history. Just don't be a goony goon goon, chat people up, use bike stuff as a catalyst and if they're a walking stereotype you can walk off.

Last time I was there a guy threw the keys to his KTM supermoto at me but I was too chickenshit to take him up on it at the time, so I have something to look forward to next time.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I rode a guy's DRZ400SM today. My world...shattered. Amazing.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-dirt-bikes-motocross-2005-SUZUKI-DRZ400SM-W0QQAdIdZ494111453

The rear tire definitely needs replacing, though.

Here's another one, almost half the km, 1 year younger, $500 less:

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=494270095

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I used to really want a motard until I sat on one. That kind of ... mountain bike like "I'm sitting on the front tire" thing freaked me the gently caress out. I'm not man enough for one. loving nice machine though. You should get it.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

PadreScout posted:

I used to really want a motard until I sat on one. That kind of ... mountain bike like "I'm sitting on the front tire" thing freaked me the gently caress out. I'm not man enough for one. loving nice machine though. You should get it.

I really got that sitting-on-front-tire feeling when I rode around another guy's KLX250sf (I actually felt like I was going to just fall up and over the handlebars at any moment). On the DRZ, it felt a little bit like that, but after 2 minutes of riding around the block, I felt substantially more comfortable. So it follows that it's just a feeling that will pass.

That or supermotos will always feel like that, which is why the tendency to wheelie them is so strong :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ReelBigLizard posted:

Oh sure, if you're actually tuning for power. I'm just talking about adjusting the fuelling for a slip on so it doesn't run too lean.

It won't run too lean with a slipon or a full system, plus it has an O2 sensor stock and will correct in certain areas unless you disable it. The stock, TOR, and Arrow maps aren't all that great. There is a race map that is good to steal the ignition timing map out of that'll pick up an extra 2whp.

All I'm saying is that the TuneECU way isn't the best way, and piggybacks ARE useful/needed on this bike once you want to actually tune the thing - especially since shops that do tune the stock ECU are not common and dealerships definitely won't do it this way.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 21, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Snowdens Secret posted:

If I was riding through Texas / Nevada in June I wouldn't be wearing what that guy is wearing. I hope in addition to gas he's carting around some Gatorade or something.

It was about 75f in that picture, cool in the high desert yesterday. But when it gets hot, leather is nice. Keeps the airflow over you slower so the radiation effect isn't as intense. I was wearing my leather in Moab when it was 104, I would have died in mesh. Pouring a water into the jacket when I stop helps.

The humid central Texas area was the worst heat of the trip and it wasn't even that hot.

I'm in Bend, OR tonight, we just got in. California was uneventful. It's cold here.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

PadreScout posted:

I've got a DRZ400S and a S3R...coming off the DRZ the Streety feels cramped, too low, and cornering sucks. Once I get out of town and into some sweepers though I remember why I bought it. Still, I've been using the DRZ a lot more than the S3R this summer, because it's new, I can ride like a total rear end in a top hat EVERYWHERE, not just on streets, and if I drop it (which I have MANY times) there's no tears. It's great as an everyday commuter/toy, while the Street comes out for highway trips or if I'm feeling fancy.

Abiggoat
Feb 21, 2008

Kill yourself!

My Suzuki gave up the ghost, and my cousin has a Zontes Tiger 125 that he's looking to sell and will sell to me for 600. Should I bother (I've heard plenty of negative things about the Chinese brands) or save up an extra grand and get the Suzuki Marauder I really want?

I'll only be using it for commuting.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I have never heard a tale with a Chinese scooter that didn't involve it either dying before the 1000 mile point or needing extensive work and hassle to get there

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

I've got a DRZ400S

I've seen a couple drz400S bikes on kijiji and craigslist "converted to SM". So that means street tires, and mirrors, and...what else is different between the S and SM? I plan to ride exclusively on the street, is a converted drz400S to SM all good in the hood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's got a slightly bigger brake rotor and different spring rates in the suspension. Maybe different gauges? Never rode an S so not entirely sure on that last one.