Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

AgentHaiTo posted:

I just saw Super and loved it. I especially liked Crimson Bolt's rant to Kevin Bacon right before stabbing him to death. It's like a better, braver Kick rear end.

It's a pretty great and unsettling movie. I felt like it was the movie I was expecting Kick rear end to be, but then again I'm one of the few people I know that was disappointed with that movie. I think it abandoned its own premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Super is interesting and deserves to be watched, but it's a really dark, hosed-up movie. Don't go in expecting a light-hearted blockbuster, because you will get something completely different.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Watching Super now, Ellen Page is definitely playing against type here :stare:

edit: I really liked the ending.

priznat fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 20, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Super not only beats Kick-rear end at its own game, it's also the movie that I wish God Bless America was.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Super not only beats Kick-rear end at its own game, it's also the movie that I wish God Bless America was.

God Bless America caused me physical pain. What the hell was up with that piece of poo poo. It was crying, crying for a self-aware ending.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

What's the deal with apocalypse now redux? Should I watch that or the vanilla version?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Mescal posted:

What's the deal with apocalypse now redux? Should I watch that or the vanilla version?

Vanilla all the way. The added scenes in Redux were cut for a reason.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Yeah the additional scenes in Redux drag pretty bad. They aren't bad per se but they don't really fit with the rest of the movie. Theatrical cut for sure.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
I just wish the theatrical was in hd. :(

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

I just watched Miami Connection and I have two words for everyone who recommended it: thank you.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Super is interesting and deserves to be watched, but it's a really dark, hosed-up movie. Don't go in expecting a light-hearted blockbuster, because you will get something completely different.

One of my friends somehow likes to compare it to Hot Rod, I just don't even :psyduck:

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.

Senf posted:

I just watched Miami Connection and I have two words for everyone who recommended it: thank you.

Drafthouse has the original, much darker ending on YouTube along with a handful of deleted scenes.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

WatermelonGun posted:

Wow. Even knowing it's a classic I was shocked at how good the movie is. Entrancing from beginning to end. if you find the Buddha, kill the Buddha.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Kind Milkman posted:

Drafthouse has the original, much darker ending on YouTube along with a handful of deleted scenes.

Best drat theatre in America, even with their crappy new menu.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

But But Kick-rear end had Nicolas Cage.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

WatermelonGun posted:

I feel like the added scenes in Redux kind of serve to entrance you that much more. I've only seen the Redux version of it, but I honestly had no problems with pacing or anything of the sort, since it's supposed to be a hazy, difficult slog for the characters, and while it doesn't sound like a positive thing, I liked that it kind of felt the same to me as the viewer.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

I feel like the added scenes in Redux kind of serve to entrance you that much more. I've only seen the Redux version of it, but I honestly had no problems with pacing or anything of the sort, since it's supposed to be a hazy, difficult slog for the characters, and while it doesn't sound like a positive thing, I liked that it kind of felt the same to me as the viewer.

The scene that Redux should not have added is the additional one of Kurtz/Brando in broad daylight, it sort of screws with the mystique.
Apocalypse Now is one of those movies where it's tempting to track down the bootleg work print because of the story behind the editing process. It'd be interesting to go from work print-> Redux-> Theatrical.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

The ABCs of Death is streaming now, haven't seen it but I've heard good and bad things about it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Its like 75% bad.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Just started watching Longmire, can't remember if it was mentioned in this thread or in the series binge thread. drat is it awesome. I don't think I heard much talk about it but it is pretty awesome.

I do have a question, I know with season 4 of Breaking Bad they released season 3 on streaming like the week before. Will they be doing that with season 4? Need to catchup on that.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

DangerDummy! posted:

It's a pretty great and unsettling movie. I felt like it was the movie I was expecting Kick rear end to be, but then again I'm one of the few people I know that was disappointed with that movie. I think it abandoned its own premise.

Yea, I liked Kick rear end but it really was just a straight forward super hero movie. Still, I could of watched Nicholas Cage play evil Batman all day.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kick rear end would have been a much better movie if it had been entirely about Big Daddy and Hit Girl.

Super is great but it made me kind of uncomfortable with That One Ellen Page Scene. I mean I love James Gunn most of the time but drat dude that was kinda creepy.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

calandryll posted:

Just started watching Longmire, can't remember if it was mentioned in this thread or in the series binge thread. drat is it awesome. I don't think I heard much talk about it but it is pretty awesome.

I do have a question, I know with season 4 of Breaking Bad they released season 3 on streaming like the week before. Will they be doing that with season 4? Need to catchup on that.

According to this link:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Breaking_Bad/70143836?locale=en-US

Breaking Bad is already on up to Season 4.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

precision posted:

Kick rear end would have been a much better movie if it had been entirely about Big Daddy and Hit Girl.

This was my feeling exactly. Also I've really gotta watch Super.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

BuckarooBanzai posted:

According to this link:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Breaking_Bad/70143836?locale=en-US

Breaking Bad is already on up to Season 4.

Season 5 is the most recent. It's technically one season split in two, with the second half airing this summer, so I'm not sure how AMC will treat that as far as Netflix is concerned.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

morestuff posted:

Season 5 is the most recent. It's technically one season split in two, with the second half airing this summer, so I'm not sure how AMC will treat that as far as Netflix is concerned.

I remember with BSG they just tacked on Season 3.5 to Season 3 so probably like that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

computer parts posted:

I remember with BSG they just tacked on Season 3.5 to Season 3 so probably like that.

Yeah, but I don't know if they'll bother to upload the first half early or wait until the full season is finished.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

morestuff posted:

That would explain my confusion then. I thought it was a new season starting and not the second half. And it would seem I had already watched season 4 as well.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I watched Largo Winch today, because a friend of mine liked the comics. Heads up: do not watch Largo Winch. It's a really, really, really boring movie. It wasn't offensively bad or anything, but I do not understand how anyone could enjoy watching it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Kick rear end, despite what it attempted, just ended up as a pretty typical wish fulfillment superhero film. I'm glad they didn't go how the comic went, but I was still left pretty underwhelmed by the movie. The sequel looks annoyingly far more typical.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

etalian posted:

But But Kick-rear end had Nicolas Cage.

I really just wanted to see a darker spin-off starring Big Daddy and Hit Girl. Their whole relationship was just hosed up, and Nicolas Cage killed as always.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

precision posted:

Super is great but it made me kind of uncomfortable with That One Ellen Page Scene. I mean I love James Gunn most of the time but drat dude that was kinda creepy.

That was hilarious and you know it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tewratomeh posted:

I really just wanted to see a darker spin-off starring Big Daddy and Hit Girl. Their whole relationship was just hosed up, and Nicolas Cage killed as always.

Cage craziness was one of the few good things about the movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQNnY6-dFu8

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The only thing I didn't like about Kick-rear end was any time Christopher Mintz-Plasse was onscreen. I know that every now and then Hollywood needs that one Iconic Dork to play every single role that calls for the nerdiest, dorkiest person they can find, but I can't stand that guy in the few roles I've seen him in.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tewratomeh posted:

It doesn't hurt that Chloe Grace Moretz is always amazing. She was funnier with the whole ten(?) lines she had in 500 Days of Summer than Zooey Deschanel's entire performance (and I actually like Zooey).

I got all excited when I saw Let the Right One In on Netflix and then realized it wasn't the remake. One of the very few remakes I prefer to the original, mostly because of her performance.

Someone once suggested she play Y.T. in the inevitable Snow Crash film and I couldn't agree more.

Tewratomeh posted:

The only thing I didn't like about Kick-rear end was any time Christopher Mintz-Plasse was onscreen.

He was alright in Superbad but... yeah.

Oh, and he was fine in How to Train Your Dragon, I guess.

Reading about the sequel, it just sounds awful, but... well, at least Chloe is back, and Jim Carrey might be alright, depending on whether this is a phone-in role or one where he actually tries.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

calandryll posted:

Just started watching Longmire as well. Really enjoy it. I grew up in that part of the country and now live in the south. Really miss those wide open views.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

precision posted:

I got all excited when I saw Let the Right One In on Netflix and then realized it wasn't the remake. One of the very few remakes I prefer to the original, mostly because of her performance.

This is an unpopular opinion, but one that I share. The Swedish original is a fantastic, fantastic film, but it has just enough fluff around the edges--excised by the American version--that the remake comes out slightly ahead. Of course I've only seen the American version once compared to three or four viewings of the original, so maybe repeat viewings of the remake would change my mind.

Shame about the re-title, though. Let the Right One In is a fantastic title. Let Me In is kinda meh.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

-Atom- posted:

That was hilarious and you know it.

Hilarious AND unsettling. It's what Gunn does best. Slither was a drat funny movie, but there were a couple of scenes that made me nauseous, and I love splatter movies.

Guardians of the Galaxy isn't going to be James Gunn Movie even if he is directing it, but I hope they let him keep some of his weirdness intact. Obviously Marvel's a bit more interested in making movies that are a bit more cookie cutter (and I say that as someone who's enjoyed almost all of them), I'll be most interested to see what he brings to the table. I'm very excited to see GotG, and I don't know too many people who could have me so interested to see it, at least from a director standpoint.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Seeing that cast, I am hoping they give Gunn a ton of leeway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'm interested in it, but I don't see any way it's not a huge failure. Then again, I thought Avatar was going to be a disaster.

• Locked thread