Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Dallan Invictus posted:

This is the big reason. Until you've played in Persia you have no goddamn idea how infuriating it is to take literal months to gather your forces (especially since the Ilkhanate, Timurids and now Seljuks start up right in your grill and actually seem to move their horse-archer doomstacks faster than you can move levies.). Being able to liege-levy Khwarazim (the worst offender by far because the Caspian ports don't work) is a godsend, and I actually refused to play in that part of the world until they introduced it.

I totally lost the initial invasion by the Seljuks despite outnumbering them like 3:1 because by the time I managed to get my forces over to Turkestan they had already sieged pretty much the entire area.

Then when I declared against them later I was able to move my retinues over to the area first so that when supplemented by levies from Khiva that stack was large enough to match their doomstack and buy time until the rest of my forces arrived to box them in and crush them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

grancheater posted:

That's why you want church-vassals though, they're easier to please, don't expand much, and even if they try they don't get mad at CA laws.

I really don't like this strategy for flavor reasons. My autism flips out.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I really don't like this strategy for flavor reasons. My autism flips out.

I liked it specifically for flavor reasons! I was thinking of it as like I am the shaoshyant, trying to reform my faith and bring light to the world so obviously I would be setting up theocracies everywhere.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

jpmeyer posted:

I liked it specifically for flavor reasons! I was thinking of it as like I am the shaoshyant, trying to reform my faith and bring light to the world so obviously I would be setting up theocracies everywhere.

I guess it makes more sense in non-catholic countries.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

jpmeyer posted:

My Saoshyant was such a hardass conquering motherfucker with an insane military score I couldn't justify this. I jsut imagined it like his freshly reformed church was like "Whoa, you somehow finished your father's life's work of smashing the musselmen into paste, you're the chosen one!" and him being like "I guess I am, add it to the other titles" (it actually annoyed me because he had the amusing nickname of "the merry" before the title change).

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Your demesne just means all holdings that your current character controls directly. Theoretically you could have holdings all over the place, but your vassals probably won't like that ("Desires the county of x").

gently caress em. I'm the emperor/king and if I want to hold all of the 5-6 holding counties in my territory that's what I'm going to do. :colbert:

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Why are you desperate to give away king level titles, let alone create them in the first place?

It's a pain in the rear end to assemble a great host when all you have are duke vassals. Kingdoms consolidate stacks and reduces your overall number of vassals. Also free prestige. You get something like .8 per month per kingdom you or a vassal holds. Just stab the ambitious ones.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 20, 2013

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Knuc If U Buck posted:

My Saoshyant was such a hardass conquering motherfucker with an insane military score I couldn't justify this. I jsut imagined it like his freshly reformed church was like "Whoa, you somehow finished your father's life's work of smashing the musselmen into paste, you're the chosen one!" and him being like "I guess I am, add it to the other titles" (it actually annoyed me because he had the amusing nickname of "the merry" before the title change).

You do know that epitaphs are often ironic?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Slowbeef said that the LP is a-okay. So there.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Have you got a thread up for it?

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

CapnAndy posted:

Persia shall be Zoroastrian once more! :black101:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Geokinesis posted:

Have you got a thread up for it?
Heck no, I ain't written poo poo yet and neither has nobody else.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there some way to quickly gather all your units into boats when you raise them?
Micro-managing 50 tiny armies every time I want to go raiding or conquering is getting a teeny bit old.

Also, Gavelkind has kind of grown on me a bit. If you're smart about it, your heir will usually end up with the most important titles anyway, and it really holds your entire family together. It's especially nice not having to break up plots by your second or thid concubine every other month, like I had to do when I played as Mali.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

CapnAndy posted:

Praise the Thunderer! I'll get to work on my section.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Ok, wasn't trying to pressure or anything! :shobon:

I am very much looking forward to the Lp.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Broken Cog posted:

Is there some way to quickly gather all your units into boats when you raise them?
Micro-managing 50 tiny armies every time I want to go raiding or conquering is getting a teeny bit old.

Also, Gavelkind has kind of grown on me a bit. If you're smart about it, your heir will usually end up with the most important titles anyway, and it really holds your entire family together. It's especially nice not having to break up plots by your second or thid concubine every other month, like I had to do when I played as Mali.

Yeah, as long as I was making sure to give my other sons a duchy I never had to worry about my capital ending up somewhere weird.

That also said, if I was doing everything over I would probably have gone with elective for the combination of better vassal relations, more control over succession, and the ability to avoid inbred sons.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Storytime!

So, playing Gwynedd in the Old Gods start. Norse are doing as well as always; which is to say, Ivar & bros are busily conquering everything. I'm doing my best to snap up a few morsels here and there.

When the first of my sons comes of age, I notice that Julia, Queen of Scotland, is unbetrothed. A match made in heaven, certainly! Well, she loses her crown to the usurping Norse immediately afterward, but that seems to happen more often than not, so I wasn't surprised; and when it comes time to consummate the marriage, my dear chaste son dies within a week, but that's no matter, I just send his brother off to take his place.

As is the way of things, the former Queen of Scotland (now Duchess Julia of Moray) slowly loses ground to the Norse, losing province after province to county conquests and de-jure royal claims. She calls me in to assist, but our armies are far apart and there's not a single boat in all of Wales (!), so we generally end up defeated in detail, even when the attacking Norse forces are small enough that we have a chance at all. When the Duchess took the throne, in 875, she ruled the northern half of Scotland; by 917, she's down to this.

I've formed the Kingdom of Wales by now and am playing as my son (the Duchess's husband); my expectation is to inherit a rump duchy in the north of Scotland, similar to my holdings in Apulia that I accidentally inherited from a Princess of Italy married for alliance purposes. So when Duchess Julia calls me in on another war, I sigh: what holding am I about to lose now?

It's not a defensive war. She's seen her chance, and she's pressing all her claims. Including the claim on the throne of Scotland.

I've got a decent war-chest at this point, and I burn half of it to grab three thousand mercenaries, doubling the size of my levies. We march over, smash the Norse king while he's still disorganized, and when my own King dies midway through the war, it's already a done deal.

After crushing the inevitable Norse vassal rebellion (with my help), Julia's holdings now look like this:

After 50 years, she's back on her throne. (Though, looking at it now, the stress of the war seems to have driven her straight-up insane.)

One heck of a turnabout!

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

drat straight. :smugdog:

Any recommendations for a good Byzantine duke in ToG start, or should I stick with Isaakios of Antioch in 1066?

beefart posted:

Praise the Thunderer! I'll get to work on my section.

Aye aye. I'll start writing, but I don't exactly know what to do with it, honestly.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh jeez, come ON Steam why do you do this to me. So Crusader Kings II is on sale. I tried to play the demo and seriously had NO IDEA what I was doing. I read this thread and so want to play it, but am afraid I'm going to buy it and hate it because I don't understand it.

Of course I get an email "Crusader Kings II is on sale 50% off! Yeah!" Of course I just got Civ 5 and have been gearing up for an upcoming expansion. I LOVE strategy games like this as well.

Should I buy this game? Will it go on sale in the future for more off? Is the demo an accurate portrayal of the game?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Do it. Get all the expansions. Stab your grandson.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Steam is having a Paradox weekend for what it's worth, so it's likely that you'll be able to get CKII for even less if you can wait a few days.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

rt4 posted:

Do it. Get all the expansions. Stab your grandson.

Is the Demo an accurate portrayal of the game now? I heard there were some updates. I just know I raised a levy, then I had these little guys running around Poland and I didn't even know what the gently caress. And quit.

Smart Car posted:

Steam is having a Paradox weekend for what it's worth, so it's likely that you'll be able to get CKII for even less if you can wait a few days.

More than 50% off?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Jastiger posted:

More than 50% off?

Probably will be 75% off on one of the days for game and most DLCs, aside from latest

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Daeren posted:

Or perhaps he was trying to spare her the indignity of her probable fate as a Blot sacrifice.

Noooo. Everytime you capture someone's wife during raiding/sieging, take them as a concubine. Nothing else straight up says "VIKINGS MOTHERFUCKER" like stealing some king's wife and making her part of your harem. Especially when you can do it to someone like the basileus or the holy roman emperor. :getin:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jastiger posted:

Is the Demo an accurate portrayal of the game now? I heard there were some updates. I just know I raised a levy, then I had these little guys running around Poland and I didn't even know what the gently caress. And quit.

I haven't played the demo in a long time, but I can't imagine it's too far from the base catholic game. There have been a lot of updates, but most of the changes for catholics are minor, and if you start out as one, even if you have all the DLC, your interaction with the changes will probably be limited to standing armies and AI interactions.

If you have questions about how to play we're more than happy to answer. My personal opinion is that Crusader Kings 2 is the "easiest"--or perhaps you might say the most accessible--paradox strategy game. There's an initial period where nothing makes sense, no doubt, but once you are over the initial hump the game is pretty straightforward, as opposed to something like Victoria where being able to play and understanding what is happening are not necessarily the same thing.

The generally accepted recommended start if you do purchase the game is the Duke of Munster on the Battle of Stamford Bridge 1066 start. You start on a discrete territorial unit (Ireland) which keeps you relatively safe from neighbours, you are the biggest fish in that small pond, you have a single vassal to deal with (which is better for learning than having loads or none) and England and Scotland generally erupt into chaos allowing you a good bit of breathing room in the early game. Your goal would be to form the Kingdom of Ireland, using strategic marriages and fabricated claims you can have your chancellor manufacture (slowly at random intervals) by sending him to do so.

quote:

More than 50% off?

There's no reason it couldn't drop to 66% or even 75% off during the sale.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Hey guys! Here's another small preview of some new things I'm putting in for the next update.

The Grand Principality of Rozha

Did any of you ever play as the Morganites in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri? Those guys whose specialty was to just sort of sit back and be rich as gently caress and even had a special victory condition where they could use their wealth to take over the world? Well that's who the Rozhans are.

For the price of 15,000 gold, this decision will launch a 20-year event chain where you can spend a lot of money to basically seize power. At the end, you will be given a titular title -- Merchant King and gain a ton of prestige and piety. It'll also send out an event to all the one-province counts and dukes in the world where they can choose to either swear fealty to you, or lose 500-1000 gold, which for most people will probably send them into bankruptcy.

During the scheme, all neighboring countries will get a free CB on you to force you to abandon the scheme, so watch your borders carefully!

After you declare yourself Merchant King, you can also get a bunch of special CBs on all your neighbors to force them to submit to you -- for a price; exact tributes of gold (as if you needed it!); or forcibly convert them into the faith of the Driftwood King, the god of merchants, traders, and the merchant marine.

To accomplish this lofty scheme, the Rozhans get tons of unique buildings designed solely for the purpose of increasing the wealth of their holdings. However, this will come at a price, as all the buildings have a small negative effect on your military, lowering their morale as your soldiers get fat and lazy, lowering their numbers, and other things. I'll invent mercenary groups so that the Rozhans can hire someone to defend themselves. Imagine their playstyle as being something like a Patrician family and a Feudal lord combined.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 20, 2013

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
When The Old Gods came out, I'm pretty sure the main game and all the older DLC was 75% off, cause that's when I jumped in. So likelihood is that it'll go that low again during this sale, yeah.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Hahaha, now you got my attention. I love building tall empires in 4Xs, and what you got looks right up my alley.

Also, the holding upgrades look fantastically OP and I presume that's WAD for such a different playstyle.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
The problem with buildings is that you only ever want to buy them early so you get a return on your investment, but gold is so scarce early on it seems like you are always better off using it to make titles or buying mercenaries to conquer more lands. If I'm a merchant I rush my family holdings though of course, several of those are awesome.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Jastiger posted:

Basically! But the game is a Being An Eleventh-Century Fedual Lord simulator, you haven't played anything like it before. Raising a levy is only for when you're at war (you're hundreds and hundreds of years away from professional standing armies being A Thing again, your levies are peasants who you shoved weapons into the hands of and told them to march), wars are very polite and only done for limited gains you have a right to get... it's different. But so much fun.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Reveilled posted:

Also it says it is 50% off till the 24th, so best to just wait and hope for reductions.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Reveilled posted:

I haven't played the demo in a long time, but I can't imagine it's too far from the base catholic game. There have been a lot of updates, but most of the changes for catholics are minor, and if you start out as one, even if you have all the DLC, your interaction with the changes will probably be limited to standing armies and AI interactions.

If you have questions about how to play we're more than happy to answer. My personal opinion is that Crusader Kings 2 is the "easiest"--or perhaps you might say the most accessible--paradox strategy game. There's an initial period where nothing makes sense, no doubt, but once you are over the initial hump the game is pretty straightforward, as opposed to something like Victoria where being able to play and understanding what is happening are not necessarily the same thing.

The generally accepted recommended start if you do purchase the game is the Duke of Munster on the Battle of Stamford Bridge 1066 start. You start on a discrete territorial unit (Ireland) which keeps you relatively safe from neighbours, you are the biggest fish in that small pond, you have a single vassal to deal with (which is better for learning than having loads or none) and England and Scotland generally erupt into chaos allowing you a good bit of breathing room in the early game. Your goal would be to form the Kingdom of Ireland, using strategic marriages and fabricated claims you can have your chancellor manufacture (slowly at random intervals) by sending him to do so.

I'll try that if I pick up the whole game. I might wait for a bigger sale. However, everything you just said is NOT explained in the demo. It just says "Here are what the buttons do" but give you no other direction. I ended up hunting a stag and getting points that way I guess ??

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Jastiger posted:

I'll try that if I pick up the whole game. I might wait for a bigger sale. However, everything you just said is NOT explained in the demo. It just says "Here are what the buttons do" but give you no other direction. I ended up hunting a stag and getting points that way I guess ??
Yeah, they're really, really bad at explaining things. Stick around here and ask questions while we work on the new tutorial LP.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, they're really, really bad at explaining things. Stick around here and ask questions while we work on the new tutorial LP.

Well with the news that it may go even cheaper in the future I might hold off. When is this paradox weekend?

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Well with the news that it may go even cheaper in the future I might hold off. When is this paradox weekend?
From today until four days from now, it's why CKII is 50% off right now. They just offer a bigger deal on a different game/franchise daily for those, so that's why you're better off waiting and seeing.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Now till 24th june.

Edit:

What they said in regards to waiting ^^

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jastiger posted:

http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/

Start with that, although it's fairly outdated. A bunch of Goons are working on a new tutorial, but in the meantime that one will at least help you understand the demo.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ohhhhhh. So today is 50%, as is everything, but each day a specific game may go further down? Interesting. And devious.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

DrSunshine posted:

Morganites

Your mod is gonna be so awesome, dude.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

DrSunshine posted:

gently caress feudalism, get money.

Morganites were my faction of choice in SMAC. I am so playing this once you bring it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
I've waited 59 years for my 88 year-old supermom Basilissa of the Byzantine Empire to kick the bucket so I could finally get started on making a Roman Republic, except for when she finally does, the Serene Republic of which I am Serene Doge goes and turns into the Kingdom of Venice, my trade empire vanishes, my palace disappears--what gives? I tried killing her once before, and ended up with both the Empire and the Republic in tact, but I didn't want to have Kinslayer, so I just decided to wait it out, and now I won't get my lovely purple-on-blue ribbon.

• Locked thread