Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

But it does look like time's running out for this universe. I'm guessing (not spoiling speculation) it'll be a mix of Galactus trying to get back and an incursion occurring between 616 and UU. Galactus gets back along with a few stragglers (Miles?) and the ultimate universe's Earth is destroyed.

Ultimate Spider-Man is renamed to Amazing Spider-Man and Superior remains Superior?

So Miles escapes, but everyone he's ever known is killed?

And what, he just picks himself back up and fights Bong-Man or whatever 60's-leftovers 616 Spider-Man fights regularly?

Mister Roboto posted:

Isn't it time for the Infinity Gauntlet to appear in the Ultimate universe?

Could tie in.

It has already appeared.

Endless Mike posted:

They could, and probably should. Last I checked, it was pretty consistently outselling UXM and Ultimates. I'd be very surprised if there was a significant number reading one or both of those and NOT reading USM.

Except there's still a demand for Ultimate on-goings.

Wanderer posted:

As for Ultimates, I really do get the feeling that it's a testing ground for the movies more than anything else.

This statement couldn't be further from the truth. The Avengers films will never, ever do anything that's happened since the relaunch 2 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

A question about Ultimates today

Was turning into the Thing always part of Ben Grimm's new powers? I thought the explanation was that the Thing form was kind of a cocoon shell before changing into his purple form?

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012

Dacap posted:

A question about Ultimates today

Was turning into the Thing always part of Ben Grimm's new powers? I thought the explanation was that the Thing form was kind of a cocoon shell before changing into his purple form?

This is the first time it's been mentioned/shown-off.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

muscles like this? posted:

Also apparently "Anthony" Stark (Tony's tumor) was one of the Gems.

Aw, gee man, the issue just got into my store today, so that was kind of a spoiler. I know, discussion thread and all, but within 24 hours seems a little hasty. :(

Anyways, maybe they'll be able to combine the Ultimate Infinity with this Galactus appearance and fix the Ultimate universe. And give it to Bendis.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

thet0wer posted:

Based on what, exactly? There have been two failed relaunches of the line in the past four years. I don't think it's a stretch to say that the line has far outlived its purpose.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

Based on what, exactly? There have been two failed relaunches of the line in the past four years. I don't think it's a stretch to say that the line has far outlived its purpose.

I agree. Post-Ultimatum, there's no more X-Men or F4 ongoing and only 1 of those characters (Johnny) was incorporated into an existing title. Post-DOSM, the two non-Spidey books were just bleeding readers every month, even with Jonathan loving Hickman essentially doing an alternate-universe story of an F4 story he was telling in 616 as well at the same time.

When Hickman can't sell your book, that probably means there wasn't enough demand there.

I still don't like the idea of Miles being incorporated into 616. As others have said, it'll make him Young Teen Hero 213 and probably make him easy cannon fodder.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If they just had Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate Everything Else (have a monthly comic with each arc focusing on a different team/character/plot) I think it would be enough.

Putting Miles in the 616 universe would be terrible. He's a special character, and throwing him into the fray where anyone and everyone can and will gently caress with him, or worse, just completely ignore him until he's another Runaway is just killing that.

Let Bendis turn Ultimate Spider-Man into his own personal Spider-Man newspaper comic strip, where he just gets to come up with stories until he dies.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

thet0wer posted:

Not really. Here's the May numbers:

61 27.57 ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #23 $3.99 MAR 35,581

Not bad. Puts it on level with Wonder Woman, Red Hood, and Teen Titans, three of the original New 52 books. It's a safe level, if nothing else.

109 16.61 ULTIMATE COMICS ULTIMATES #24 $3.99 MAR 21,429
118 15.75 ULTIMATE COMICS X-MEN #26 $3.99 MAR 20,330

Not so good. In between 109 and 118 are such books as X-Factor (canceled, albeit as much for David's health problems as sales), Fearless Avengers (rumored for the chopping block already), and a point issue of Iron Man. At 120 and 121 is two issues Gambit, the higher one selling 19,106, which is canceled.

I mean is there demand? Sure, in the absolute sense, there's still people buying them, but they're at the point where Marvel is likely taking a close look at the chopping block, and are likely below the point where only the largest stores are even ordering rack copies of them, making recovery pretty dismal short of a huge superstar creative team or crossover picking things up.

(To put this all in perspective, the top book was X-Men #1, featuring an all-female team, which is pretty fantastic, though I sadly have little hope that it'll hold there.)

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

For those who care, Hunger livechat with Fialkov and Bendis is happening now.

http://marvel.com/news/story/20777/sign_up_for_the_next_big_thing_hunger_liveblog

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Barry Convex posted:

For those who care, Hunger livechat with Fialkov and Bendis is happening now.

http://marvel.com/news/story/20777/sign_up_for_the_next_big_thing_hunger_liveblog

Galactus vs Gah Lak Tus sounds like Godzilla: Final Wars when the Japan Godzilla fought the US Godzilla.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Galactus vs Gah Lak Tus sounds like Godzilla: Final Wars when the Japan Godzilla fought the US Godzilla.

So you're saying it sounds like the raddest thing ever.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
"There is a lot coming over the next six to eight months in terms of Miles Morales and the concept of a Marvel multiverse, characters realizing that door is there. Miles becomes a very important lynchpin." - Brian Bendis

Hmmm. Spider-Men sequel? I wonder if the weird cliffhanger at the end of Spider-Men will figure in?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Brian Bendis posted:

There is a lot coming over the next six to eight months in terms of Miles Morales and the concept of a Marvel multiverse, characters realizing that door is there. Miles becomes a very important lynchpin.

Welp.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This sounds like a pretty awesome story. I was wondering when Rick Jones would pop back up.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Aaaaand they just said the Ultimate line isn't going anywhere. Thank God.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Haha, was that you asking that?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Eh, I wouldn't take that as the denial it appears to be, given current sales. "Big plans" is a pretty vague phrase.

Will there still be at least one ongoing book set in (whatever's left of) the Ultimate U and/or featuring Ultimate characters? Almost certainly.

Will there still be multiple ongoing books set entirely in the Ultimate U? I'd be extremely surprised.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 20, 2013

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The Ultimate line isn't going anywhere but the big Ultimate event is being billed as a Marvel NOW book and not an Ultimate book...

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 20, 2013

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Why is Bendis so great at writing Ultimate line stories and so consistently mediocre to awful as this huge core writer of the 616 stuff? Hunger sounds fantastic.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

The Ultimate lien isn't going anywhere but the big Ultimate event is being billed as a Marvel NOW book and not an Ultimate book...

Yeah, that stood out to me too.

Predictions: after Hunger, there will be a Miles Morales book that may or may not see a change of universe, and a new Exiles-type book that will feature a couple other Ultimate characters.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Why is Bendis so great at writing Ultimate line stories and so consistently mediocre to awful as this huge core writer of the 616 stuff? Hunger sounds fantastic.

Due to Alias, Daredevil, Powers, and Ultimate Spider-man Bendis can do what ever he wants. I also do not mind 80% of his Avengers run. However, the pointless/bad poo poo is pretty unbearable.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So they didn't deny an Infinite Crisis like effect of dead people coming back due to the universal rifts.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
My questions never get answered :(

All I wanna know is if we'll ever see Ultimate She Hulk again. I know it's not realllllly related but rurggghggh.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, there's just way less constraints on what he can do with Miles and the Ultimate U as a whole.

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

sales numbers

But these numbers don't include digital sales. They only count specialty store sales.

Plus there are the hardcover and softcover collections.

In any case, the people I'd blame for these numbers would not be those that work at Marvel. It's the so-called "fans", who decided that, after Ultimatum, the line was finished, even as good, quality books were being written by Bendis (Spider-Man, Doomsday), Hickman (Thor, Hawkeye, Ultimates), Ellis (Armor Wars), Aaron (Captain America) and even Millar (Avengers 1+2, New Ultimates vs. Ultimate Avengers). And now we have Wood's excellent X-Men and Fialkov's great-so-far Ultimates.

But nope, the line was done, in these people's minds, in 2009, after a bad five issue series killed off a bunch of extraneous X-Men characters and Wolverine, who was extremely similar to his 616 counterpart and therefore one of the worst Ultimizations.

But it's not just them. We also have the "NOT MUH SPIDER-MAN" people that wouldn't even give Miles a loving CHANCE. And most of them weren't even racist. They were just so married to the character of Ultimate Peter Parker that they wouldn't read a Spider-Man book without him in it, even thought the same writer was doing it.

The other fan I've yet to call out is the ones that got all pissed off when the line changed direction after Ultimatum from a universe consisting of re-told 616 stories to one where "anything can happen". And that was a good move on Marvel's part! The old direction was not sustainable. You can't just re-tell 616 stories forever. Eventually you run out of notable and worthwhile stuff to re-do. And also, people are eventually going to get to tired to just re-treading poo poo they've read before.

But some of these people can't see that.

If there's one thing I've learned being an Ultimate Comics fan since 2008, it's that comic book fans are extremely stubborn, in a way that's actually detrimental to the industry.

thet0wer fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 21, 2013

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
So your position is their is demand, it just doesn't rest with the fans. Okay.

Also its their fault they didn't support a mediocre line just because.

Edit: Like you know those canceled series that were mentioned also didn't include digital and TBP sales.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 21, 2013

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

So your position is their is demand, it just doesn't rest with the fans. Okay.

Also its their fault they didn't support a mediocre line just because.

Edit: Like you know those canceled series that were mentioned also didn't include digital and TBP sales.

Work on your reading comprehension, chief

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

thet0wer posted:

Work on your reading comprehension, chief

I don't understand this. Your post wasn't exactly heavily encoded here.

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't understand this. Your post wasn't exactly heavily encoded here.

It isn't, but you seemed to have difficulty with it.

I'm not contradicting myself when I say that there's demand, but also explain why the level of demand isn't as high as it should be.

And it's not a "mediocre" line. And the people I described in my post aren't even disputing the quality of the books.

Also, yes, I do know those numbers don't include digital sales and tpb's. It says so in the link.

Are you just an idiot?

thet0wer fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 21, 2013

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Come on guys, let's not fight, we're all fans here.

thet0wer posted:

If there's one thing I've learned being an Ultimate Comics fan since 2008, it's that comic book fans are extremely stubborn, in a way that's actually detrimental to the industry.

And this is definitely true. Comicbook fans are all, well, weird that way. Let's just be honest, we're all a bunch of vaguely-asperger's-like goons who care far too much about our cartoon characters.

But that's who we are, and it's how we get our entertainment. I hope the ultimate line lasts.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Change the thread name, please.

Ultimate Comics Universe Reborn: Blow it all up, feed it to Galactus

For actual discussion, I don't think Ultimatum is the reason the Ultimate line is in the shape it is, because I recall the books that launched immediately after Ultimatum (Armor Wars, Ultimate Avengers) selling fairly well. The biggest problem of the Ultimate Universe is that the 2011 relaunch was disasterous, at a time when Marvel really needed to reignite interest in the brand. Hickman and Ribic were taken off Ultimates mid-way through their first storyline and replaced with Humphries, Loeb's terrible, perpetually delayed Ultimate Comics X was followed immediately by Spencer's incomprehensible run on X-Men, and Spider-Man took forever to get going thanks to Bendis' decompressed storytelling. Marvel screwed up the Ultimate relaunch and two years later, the line lacks any cohesive direction. Outside of the mis-handled crossover between the three books, nothing has any effect on the universe as a whole. It's fine to say that "anything can happen in the Ultimate Universe!" but nothing has consequence outside of its book. The Utopia plot has no consequences outside of X-Men and we know the Dark Ultimates storyline will have no real consequence since Miles is fine in New York a year later.

The final nail for the coffin for the Ultimate Universe is that Marvel Now proves it doesn't need to exist any more. You don't need to erase years of continuity to attract new readers, just provide clear jumping-in points. I'd love to see the line continue for as long as possible because the individual books are great as of right now but I'm increasingly aware that there's very little now stopping Marvel blowing the universe up and shutting the line down and I'm not entirely sure that's a bad thing. The line has served its purpose. It modernised the Marvel line back in 2000, got a lot of people into or back into comic books, and 13 years later it might be time for it to be replaced by something else. Whether that's Marvel Now or something entirely different is anyone's guess, but I really think it's time for the Ultimate Universe to die.

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012

Genetic Toaster posted:

Whether that's Marvel Now or something entirely different is anyone's guess, but I really think it's time for the Ultimate Universe to die.

The problem with the "replace the UU with a new line" train of thought is :Why wouldn't Marvel end up mishandling it like it mishandled the UU? The same people still work at Marvel. Loeb still works at Marvel.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

thet0wer posted:

The problem with the "replace the UU with a new line" train of thought is :Why wouldn't Marvel end up mishandling it like it mishandled the UU? The same people still work at Marvel. Loeb still works at Marvel.

I guess because then they can shed the weight of the bad continuity like they did when the launched the UU. The problem of course is that eventually the new universe will have those issues, but whatever. Though it could be that Ulitmatium and the poo poo that followed damaged the line to much, so you could theoretically create a new universe that might not have the same issues.

The more likely possibility is that demand isn't high enough so they will just scuttle it and focus on the main U.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

thet0wer posted:

But these numbers don't include digital sales. They only count specialty store sales.

Plus there are the hardcover and softcover collections.
There's been absolutely nothing to suggest that digital sales are but a fraction of the print sales for the Big Two (indie titles are likely a bit different). DC's Diane Nelson is on record saying that there are a million downloads of their comics per month, which is roughly half of what they sell in print. What she doesn't say is how many of those are new versus sales, back catalog, sales, and even free stuff. It's probably fair to assume Marvel's books sell similarly digitally. But, none of that matters. If digital sales are proportionally equal across the full range of books (and, admittedly, this might not be a good assumption since it is far easier to find a copy of a high-selling book in a store since stores will actually buy rack copies, meanwhile a low-selling book is almost certainly only being sold to preorders), a low-selling book is still a low-selling book, and it just means the cancelation line is maybe 50% above where we think it. It still brings us back to the same concern: if there's a legitimate demand for Ultimate Comics, it's not translating to the number of sales.

As for collections, there's been very few cases where sales of collections were enough to buoy an otherwise low-selling book. The Ultimate line *might* have a greater proportion of trade-waiters than the 616 line since the Ultimate stuff is largely self-contained (that is, it doesn't "matter"), but even still, I doubt they're really all that much higher. Conveniently, Diamond gives us sales numbers for collections [urlhttp://www.icv2.com/articles/news/25929.html]as well![/url] Top selling book in May pushed 9,540 copies. The first time and Ultimate book shows up is at #74 selling 1,546 copies. Granted, this doesn't include bookstore sales, but I'd be amazed if Amazon's sales are significantly different than the market as a whole.

Of course, none of this matters. Following these statements you went on some rant about fans not wanting to buy Ultimate comics, which contradicts your statement that there's a demand for Ultimate comics. I do hope it sticks around, but I don't really have high hopes. Especially if they're siccing Galactus on it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

thet0wer posted:

It shouldn't be replaced. The Ultimate line was created, and had its best justification for existing, at a time when the 616 universe seemed increasingly ossified and it could be argued that continuity was a major barrier. Neither of those things is really still the case - well, continuity is still a potential issue, but the best way to approach it is to write with accessibility in mind, not create a new shared universe that will inevitably have its own continuity issues in a few years.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was scrapped but I'd like to see them continue the books on as alt-u Marvel NOW titles similar to what DC is doing with Earth-2. Things seem to be improving, Wood's salvaging of X-Men is coming to a head and I'm interested in what Fialkov's plans for Ultimates are. If they can keep these three books going with the occasional mini that seems solid to me.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Calling it now: Ultimate Kang is future Sue Storm.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wachter posted:

Calling it now: Ultimate Kang is future Sue Storm.

Nah, not after that "Reed, you loving SUCK" speech she gave.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I will say that the ex-sniping between Reed and Susan is a lot more interesting than their usual depiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Aren't Reed and Sue still basically teenagers or have they moved on from the earlier FF runs or ... wheh?

• Locked thread