Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Xandu posted:

Might be better off taking it to a UPS store and letting them pack it for you if you go that route.
When I did this, it was very expensive. It may have changed since then, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

You must pack it correctly, but you can absolutely buy $1200 in insurance on it. It's $0.85 per $100 of declared value over $100. So, it'll cost you about $10.00.

I don't suppose you saved the box for the case, with the nice styrofoam pieces that hold it perfectly?

I don't have the styrofoam, but I do have the box. I could pack it to hell with anti static bubble wrap to keep it in place.

Xandu posted:

Might be better off taking it to a UPS store and letting them pack it for you if you go that route.

Or go with this.

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011
I just posted this in the Legal Thread, but figured I should post it here as well in the event someone can offer some insight on clarifying some confusing wording for a lease.

quote:

So I'm growing up in the world and it looks like I'm about to score the place of my dreams! It's a two bedroom apartment in the DC metro area that I can actually afford on my meager salary. The catch is that I will be assisting with caring for the property in exchange for a cheaper monthly rent. The one thing holding me back is some of the wording on the lease. Legalese gives me a headache and so I'm hoping someone here will be able to provide some insight before I sign my life away.

I would really appreciate it if someone could review and reword the following section in the drafted lease with the end goal being: I won't be out on my rear end if my work isn't up to par with the owner's standards.

Below is the wording I am concerned about, specifically the section which I am copying in BOLD (bolding is mine):

"2.b. The resident(s) agree to provide services as described in section 2.a above and outlined in table 2.b.i below. Resident(s) agree to provide a minimum of ten hours of assistance related to the tasks indicated in table 2.b.i. Residents also agree and acknowledge responsibility of providing primary care to equine while owner is out of town. If the RESIDENTS do not keep up the terms of this agreement or do not perform the task in a satisfactory manner (determined by discretion of owner) the RESIDENTS shall be liable for breach of contract and will be required to vacate the premises immediately as the breech occurs. The RESIDENTS will be liable additional months’ rent if termination occurs as the result or request of early release or breech of the contract."

When I explained to the potential landlord that this wording concerned me, she gave me the go-ahead to send over a drafted version that I would be comfortable with. I think that she put this clause in the lease because there are animals onsite (hence the part about "equine care") and she wants to protect them and herself in the event of neglect. While I don't foresee this being an issue, I want to protect myself from being kicked to the curb if my assistance doesn't meet the owner's satisfactory standards. Does anybody have some sage advice rewording this section?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't help you reword it, but that's pretty one sided. At the least, I would sprinkle the word "reasonable" liberally through there.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Apartment's finally ready for a pre-move-in inspection sometime between now and Sunday. Are there any good boilerplate checklists I should bring with me for problem areas to look for when I go to look at the place? Google is plentiful on results so I might just make my own list but I'm bound to miss a thing, I'm pretty dull :shobon:

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I'm ten days away from moving to my new place and the suspense is killing me. Every day seems to take longer and longer to pass. I'm pretty sure I caught the clock at work going backwards. I'm leaving a two bedroom that is way to large for me and has significant moisture and mildew issues (its a basement apartment with a leaky foundation), that is to far from where I work. I'm tired of spending money on an extra room I don't use for anything and the people living above me are savages who are incapable of comprehending that another human being lives beneath them. On top of that the mildew and dampness in this place has given me endless problems with my skin and lungs for years :barf:.

The new place is minuscule by comparison, the entire apartment could probably fit in my current living room. Its on the second floor and has a bedroom just large enough to comfortably fit a queen size bed, a bathroom just large enough for a tub you can stretch out in and a combination kitchen/living room with a balcony. Its within walking distance of where I work and all of my new neighbors are quiet elderly folks. The only things I'm taking with me are a few clothes, my computer and my coffee maker. Everyone keeps saying I'm nuts to not take my furniture and housewares but I'm willing to spend the money to refurnish with new stuff that will look great in the place with no worries about contaminating it with whatever microbial horror infests my current apartment. Being able to sleep without feeling like my skin is crawling will be heaven.

I hate to sound like I'm gloating but getting out of this horrible apartment is something I've been trying to do for two years now and its finally happening. Making a new start of it with practically no belongings will probably be annoying at first but its honestly like a weight off my shoulders. I'll have to post before and after pictures later.

Edit: I found it by pounding pavement. Looking up places online and newspaper ads only found me over priced lies; lots of pictures of nice places that never looked as good in person. I took a walk around the area I wanted to move to and wrote down numbers on the "For Rent" signs.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 20, 2013

Occams taser
Mar 7, 2013

What is Occam's Razor??????
What's a good way to get to know my neighbors?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Occams taser posted:

What's a good way to get to know my neighbors?

Take over cookies. Invite them over to grill.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

This might be a better question for pet island, but I thought I'd start here.
There's this cat that hangs around my door, I don't know if it is a stray or whatever.
My porch leading up to my door is wood and I think this cat has started pissing all over it. I'll come home after work and be getting my keys out to unlock the door and be hit with this overwhelming cat piss smell. I've been here 2 years and it's just started happening.
How do I:
A.Clean it up so my front door area doesn't smell like a public kitty rest room and
B.Keep this loving cat from pissing all over my stairs.

Thanks doods.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Thumposaurus posted:

This might be a better question for pet island, but I thought I'd start here.
There's this cat that hangs around my door, I don't know if it is a stray or whatever.
My porch leading up to my door is wood and I think this cat has started pissing all over it. I'll come home after work and be getting my keys out to unlock the door and be hit with this overwhelming cat piss smell. I've been here 2 years and it's just started happening.
How do I:
A.Clean it up so my front door area doesn't smell like a public kitty rest room and
B.Keep this loving cat from pissing all over my stairs.

Thanks doods.

It sucks that the cat decided to pee on your place because the smell is going to let other cats know it's 'okay' to go there. How big of an area is it? I would first give it a huge hose-down to try and eliminate as much smell as possible. Then, a liberal spraying of something like Nature's Miracle that is designed to eliminate urine smells. I've heard citrus peels are a way to keep cats out of a garden, so they might work to keep a cat away from your steps.

If you know it's just the one tomcat that's spraying, it might be worth trapping it and taking it to a shelter - humanely, of course, and once you've figured out if he belongs to someone or not.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

DSauer posted:

On top of that the mildew and dampness in this place has given me endless problems with my skin and lungs for years :barf:.

This guy.
I'm moving out of my hellhole apartment this fall, and I wonder if I'll suddenly feel like an atomic superman after I live for a few weeks in a place that doesn't have black mold growing in the bathroom.
It won't even bleach off :froggonk:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

vonnegutt posted:

It sucks that the cat decided to pee on your place because the smell is going to let other cats know it's 'okay' to go there. How big of an area is it? I would first give it a huge hose-down to try and eliminate as much smell as possible. Then, a liberal spraying of something like Nature's Miracle that is designed to eliminate urine smells. I've heard citrus peels are a way to keep cats out of a garden, so they might work to keep a cat away from your steps.

If you know it's just the one tomcat that's spraying, it might be worth trapping it and taking it to a shelter - humanely, of course, and once you've figured out if he belongs to someone or not.

I live in the middle of a small city so I'm not sure it's just one cat or not I just see this one hanging around all the time. Right up the road when I leave to go to work there are about 20 or so cats that all congregate in the same spot.
This is what my entrance way looks like

I picked up some natures miracle we'll see if that helps at all.
I'm going to scrub it from top to bottom with it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

When I did this, it was very expensive. It may have changed since then, though.

It wasn't bad when I did it, above the rather high general cost of shipping. Maybe $10 extra? Worst part is that it's just a mystery number that they tell you at the end.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Another newbie question: how far in advance should I be calling rental companies to make appointments? Looks like we're heading up to house hunt on July 6th and staying for a few days. That's far enough out that I figure some places we want to see might be rented by then, and new things might come available, but I also don't want things to be too last minute and not be able to see anything. Is there a good rule of thumb?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

RabbitMage posted:

Another newbie question: how far in advance should I be calling rental companies to make appointments? Looks like we're heading up to house hunt on July 6th and staying for a few days. That's far enough out that I figure some places we want to see might be rented by then, and new things might come available, but I also don't want things to be too last minute and not be able to see anything. Is there a good rule of thumb?

Worst that can happen if you call now is they tell you to call back in a few days.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I bought a bed & mattress off Amazon and I'm pretty happy with them. However, I am pretty intimidated by the prospect of buying a dresser, given the nightmarish reviews on all the cheap ones on Amazon, Hayneedle, Overstock, etc. I want something like this in terms of looks, but should I bother shelling out for a little better quality than that? I guess I'm probably giving away or selling this dresser in a few years, but any recommendations? I'm also in the market for a simple TV stand that doesn't look too cheap, and I'm having a lot of trouble finding anything I like.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I bought a bed & mattress off Amazon and I'm pretty happy with them. However, I am pretty intimidated by the prospect of buying a dresser, given the nightmarish reviews on all the cheap ones on Amazon, Hayneedle, Overstock, etc. I want something like this in terms of looks, but should I bother shelling out for a little better quality than that? I guess I'm probably giving away or selling this dresser in a few years, but any recommendations? I'm also in the market for a simple TV stand that doesn't look too cheap, and I'm having a lot of trouble finding anything I like.

That looks almost exactly like a black brown Malm from Ikea.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I like the looks and quality of Ikea stuff, but I ultimately decided against them because of the hefty delivery charge. Some resellers will ship their stuff but it's generally much pricier, it appears.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I like the looks and quality of Ikea stuff, but I ultimately decided against them because of the hefty delivery charge. Some resellers will ship their stuff but it's generally much pricier, it appears.

Look on craigslist. Malm dressers show up a lot. If you can go without for a while, it may be worth it. Same for TV stands.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

A week and a day to my move, if the inspection is OK tomorrow. Couple quick questions: is it normal to tip professional movers or do they actually get paid enough that it's not necessary? Does it make much of a cushioning difference for bubble wrap if the bubbles are facing in or out? (I suspect not.) Do you think the movers can generally be trusted to not get my TVs punctured by something or should I try to (somehow) fit those things in me car?

Also, sorry to self quote, but

Ciaphas posted:

Apartment's finally ready for a pre-move-in inspection sometime between now and Sunday. Are there any good boilerplate checklists I should bring with me for problem areas to look for when I go to look at the place? Google is plentiful on results so I might just make my own list but I'm bound to miss a thing, I'm pretty dull :shobon:

It's the first time I've had to move more than a couple boxes of books and clothes, I'd like to not screw it up :v:

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Dressers are about the second-easiest thing to refinish as well if you can find one with good construction. Look for a solid wood one with good size, shape, and drawer construction (dovetail joints; good pulling motion) and you can pretty much do any color you want.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

vonnegutt posted:

Dressers are about the second-easiest thing to refinish as well if you can find one with good construction. Look for a solid wood one with good size, shape, and drawer construction (dovetail joints; good pulling motion) and you can pretty much do any color you want.

You want metal glides. Even cheap Ikea stuff has better movement than the majority of old dressers you'll see (and those will at best be equal because metal glides rule)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Ciaphas posted:

A week and a day to my move, if the inspection is OK tomorrow. Couple quick questions: is it normal to tip professional movers or do they actually get paid enough that it's not necessary? Does it make much of a cushioning difference for bubble wrap if the bubbles are facing in or out? (I suspect not.) Do you think the movers can generally be trusted to not get my TVs punctured by something or should I try to (somehow) fit those things in me car?

I always tip movers and make sure I have water/Gatorade available for them if they want it.

As long as you have an adequate amount (at least two layers) of bubble wrap it shouldn't be a problem. If your boxes are densely packed so nothing is moving around hitting other stuff, just a couple layers should be more than adequate. If it has the potential to hit stuff, go nuts with the bubble wrap.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS keep TV boxes if you're moving semi-frequently. That being said, I hadn't gotten to packing my TV yet when the movers showed up, and they just threw a couple moving blankets over it and had it ride in the cab of their truck and it made it OK. I would not have trusted them to put the TV in the cab if it was not a local move and if the truck was out of my sight for any period of time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

One of my two recliners finally got tired of my fat rear end and broke, and I suspect the other's on the way out. Looks like after the move I'm getting a proper sofa. I like the sort of functional aesthetic of the stuff IKEA has on their website; problem is the closest one is about 250 miles from me. Any ideas on where I could go shopping for new furniture that A) is more IKEA than, say, RC Willey; and B) might actually exist in the Las Vegas, NV, USA area?

Failing that I guess I could buy online, sight unseen, but for big ticket items like furniture that spooks me a little :ohdear:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How in the hell does LV not have an Ikea yet.

I think there's a service in Vegas that will buy Ikea stuff and bring it to you for less than the price of Ikea delivery, but not sure how much more that costs than the actual stuff.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I think I found what you're talking about but they wanted $350 to ship a couch 200 miles. :stare: uhh, no

Fortunately I discovered West Elm had exactly what I wanted (a 76" sofa and a storage coffee table that doubles nicely as a KB+M tray when I need it, if anyone cares), so that works out nicely.

25% off today and tomorrow too, ended up saving a couple hundred plus another hundred gift card that I'll never remember I actually have :woop:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

On another note entirely oh my god packing a kitchen is a loving nightmare, how the HELL did they get all these pots and pans neatly into grouped boxes :gonk:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Ciaphas posted:

On another note entirely oh my god packing a kitchen is a loving nightmare, how the HELL did they get all these pots and pans neatly into grouped boxes :gonk:

I put one pot/pan per box and filled in the rest with other stuff. Then again I have enameled cast iron cookware so if I put it all in one box it would be the heaviest box in the world. I saved all my kitchen towels/potholders for last so I could use them to fill in gaps in boxes without wasting a ton of bubble wrap/packing paper.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Are these actual rooms for rent in NYC? Is this how people live in the Big Apple?

http://www.worstroom.com/

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Those are probably actual listings to see if anyone's dumb enough to take the bait, but no, that is not how normal people live. There are plenty of options that are bigger, cheaper, and all-around saner. I have a 400(ish) sqft studio (separate kitchen, bathroom, hallways with closets, tons of perks like hardwood floors, elevators, prewar) near midtown for $1150. I had to look for it, but it wasn't unattainable. Even when I was paying $575 for one bedroom in a 2br, it wasn't like that.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

Those are probably actual listings to see if anyone's dumb enough to take the bait, but no, that is not how normal people live. There are plenty of options that are bigger, cheaper, and all-around saner. I have a 400(ish) sqft studio (separate kitchen, bathroom, hallways with closets, tons of perks like hardwood floors, elevators, prewar) near midtown for $1150. I had to look for it, but it wasn't unattainable. Even when I was paying $575 for one bedroom in a 2br, it wasn't like that.
Yeah, it doesn't really matter where you live, the rental market isn't like other economies. There are huge inefficiencies in the market. The fact that the NYC area is one of the most expensive areas in the country means that the outliers on the high side will look crazy compared to other places in the country. You could equally take pictures of crazy-good deals in the city, but they wouldn't stick around for very long.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Well, I definitely think there are more crazy-bad listings than crazy-good listings. This is because there are tons of dipshits who move somewhere pricey and then go "hmm...maybe I could monetize my closet floor???" But it doesn't mean that anyone's taking them up on it, or that the setup will work if they do. You may notice almost all of those ads are for sublets, i.e. placed by idiot renters trying to fly under the radar. Few if any are being rented by actual landlords, who are obviously constrained by things like fire codes.

The exception is for places that are legal (ceiling height, windows, etc.) just without a lot of square footage. People do take those sometimes, because in New York, it's just not the norm to spend much time in your apartment. If you're only there to sleep and change clothes, it doesn't matter if it's small; convenience might be more important to you.

I think there may be a couple other things going on, like super old-school SROs and a boarding house, but it's hard to tell since they only include a word or two of the ads. In general, though, remember that just because ads are placed doesn't mean anyone's moving in.

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013
People with TempurPedic or TempurPedic knockoff mattresses:

Are you happy with your purchase? Pro's/Con's?

To the people with the knockoffs, have you ever tried a real TempurPedic? Is it worth spending the extra money for the brand?

Thanks!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Anne Whateley posted:

Well, I definitely think there are more crazy-bad listings than crazy-good listings. .... In general, though, remember that just because ads are placed doesn't mean anyone's moving in.

And of course, the crazy good ones won't stay up for long, whereas the bad ones will.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Jeoh posted:

Are these actual rooms for rent in NYC? Is this how people live in the Big Apple?

http://www.worstroom.com/

As others have said: yes those rooms exist, no people don't actually live that way unless they're foolish rubes who just flew in yesterday. (However, in my recent housing search I did actually see a lot of awful places like that, I just didn't rent them.)

I have a room in a large apartment in NYC with huge beautiful windows, a kitchen with all-new appliances, a dishwasher and washer/dryer, exposed brick walls and recessed lighting, etc.

Of course I'm paying $900 for one of three bedrooms but, ya know. At least it isn't a grimy windowless basement!

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~

DirtyTalk posted:

People with TempurPedic or TempurPedic knockoff mattresses:

Are you happy with your purchase? Pro's/Con's?

To the people with the knockoffs, have you ever tried a real TempurPedic? Is it worth spending the extra money for the brand?

Thanks!

We own a knockoff TempurPedic and I have slept on a real TempurPedic a few times, and I personally don't like them at all. I prefer a firmer mattress and I want it to have some give/pushback. I wake up with back and neck pain a lot, and the only reason we sleep on it is because my boyfriend already owned it before we moved in together and we're saving up to buy a nice traditional mattress soon. He doesn't mind the mattress at all, but he will also be the first to tell you that to him, a mattress is a mattress is a mattress and he just doesn't care that much.

You should also know that sex on a TempurPedic is not nearly as fun/bouncy as on a traditional mattress. Imagine sinking into the bed while you're in certain positions.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ExtraFox posted:

We own a knockoff TempurPedic and I have slept on a real TempurPedic a few times, and I personally don't like them at all. I prefer a firmer mattress and I want it to have some give/pushback. I wake up with back and neck pain a lot, and the only reason we sleep on it is because my boyfriend already owned it before we moved in together and we're saving up to buy a nice traditional mattress soon. He doesn't mind the mattress at all, but he will also be the first to tell you that to him, a mattress is a mattress is a mattress and he just doesn't care that much.

You should also know that sex on a TempurPedic is not nearly as fun/bouncy as on a traditional mattress. Imagine sinking into the bed while you're in certain positions.
Yeah, this is going to vary a ton from person to person. My roommate bought a new bed that he loves; I laid down in it one time and felt like I was drowning. It's super soft, and to me, incredibly uncomfortable. My mattress, on the flip side, is incredibly firm, and he says that it's like laying down on a concrete slab. I like the support it provides.

Also, those sorts of foam mattresses are known to breathe very poorly. This is fine if you're someone who sleeps cold; if you sleep hot, however, I've heard it's incredibly uncomfortable, and not something you realize when you're trying one out in the store.

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, this is going to vary a ton from person to person. My roommate bought a new bed that he loves; I laid down in it one time and felt like I was drowning. It's super soft, and to me, incredibly uncomfortable. My mattress, on the flip side, is incredibly firm, and he says that it's like laying down on a concrete slab. I like the support it provides.

Also, those sorts of foam mattresses are known to breathe very poorly. This is fine if you're someone who sleeps cold; if you sleep hot, however, I've heard it's incredibly uncomfortable, and not something you realize when you're trying one out in the store.

This, absolutely, I'm not sure how I forgot to mention just how amazingly hot it gets. The boyfriend has two name-brand TempurPedic pillows as well and they're just a heatsink. And yeah, you're going to hear from people who absolutely love them and that's fine -- it's a very personal comfort preference.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Any tips on buying rugs? I'd like something comfortable, durable, and cleanable for my bedroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

showbiz_liz posted:

As others have said: yes those rooms exist, no people don't actually live that way unless they're foolish rubes who just flew in yesterday. (However, in my recent housing search I did actually see a lot of awful places like that, I just didn't rent them.)

I have a room in a large apartment in NYC with huge beautiful windows, a kitchen with all-new appliances, a dishwasher and washer/dryer, exposed brick walls and recessed lighting, etc.

Of course I'm paying $900 for one of three bedrooms but, ya know. At least it isn't a grimy windowless basement!

How do you find these places? I went apartment hunting earlier this month and the best that 900 could get me was a 3br share in East Harlem. Granted, I'm looking in UES (Harlem isn't UES, CL listers :mad:), but still.