Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
I've been trying to find the DLC, but then I remembered I'm EU...we get ours a day later. So this week hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to make sweet love to him! FROM THE BACK!!
RRRRRRRRR
Try talking to Olra and going to the online store through there. That's how I got it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

WTF why is the Wyvern just bouncing up and down in the ocean. Come fight me you rear end in a top hat, I got your Ambush quest but my arrows just go through your glitchy hide.

e: three times in a row. I really enjoy the basic gameplay, but stuff likethis and the negative two foot draw-in distance are just loving inexcusable.

Chard fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 18, 2013

ChaoticGood
May 7, 2010

Chard posted:

WTF why is the Wyvern just bouncing up and down in the ocean. Come fight me you rear end in a top hat, I got your Ambush quest but my arrows just go through your glitchy hide.

e: three times in a row. I really enjoy the basic gameplay, but stuff likethis and the negative two foot draw-in distance are just loving inexcusable.

I've fought 3 normal Wyverns in DA, and 2 of them outright disappeared in the middle of the fight... They weren't glitched in the normal DD, but now they sure are. If you need a tear, fight the one in the Bluemoon Tower.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I'm level 66 or so and just ran into the Evil Eye and couldn't do poo poo. Should I just play through the game and then come back at a much higher level?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Falcon2001 posted:

I'm level 66 or so and just ran into the Evil Eye and couldn't do poo poo. Should I just play through the game and then come back at a much higher level?

What class are you? I killed Gazer (I'm assuming that's what you mean, the BBI beholder boss) as a level 49 warrior. If you're a melee you more or less have to suicide-jump at it and then climb into it's mouth and hit it directly in the eye, but if you've got a Bitterblack weapon you'll knock its health down to nothing pretty quick doing that.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Shima Honnou posted:

What class are you? I killed Gazer (I'm assuming that's what you mean, the BBI beholder boss) as a level 49 warrior. If you're a melee you more or less have to suicide-jump at it and then climb into it's mouth and hit it directly in the eye, but if you've got a Bitterblack weapon you'll knock its health down to nothing pretty quick doing that.

Assassin right now, using daggers. I'll dig around for a bitterblack weapon - best way to get those just keep going through the ruins? Are they a specific type of gear/thing that's cursed or just in chests?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Falcon2001 posted:

Assassin right now, using daggers. I'll dig around for a bitterblack weapon - best way to get those just keep going through the ruins? Are they a specific type of gear/thing that's cursed or just in chests?

I've found some in chests and such. There's one around the poison water in the Midnight Helix (Where the giant cyclops prisoner is) that can spawn, there's another in the watery area of, I think it's the Vault of Defiled Truth, the map where there's a cockatrice.

So far I've gotten a mystic knight hammer that does insane damage for my level, and a warrior sword that's actually a little bit weaker than the hammer (But I loving love Arc of Deliverance so I switched class back to warrior to use it for a while).

They are cursed so they'll show up as like, Bitterblack Weapon Lv.1 until you get them purified, but it's so loving worth it. It's also pretty worth it to do any armor you get as quickly as you can, although not all the armor has been as fantastic as the weapons have been.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 19, 2013

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Is the Everfall the best area to level up in post-game?

I beat the main quest at around level 44 and I went to check out Bitter Black Isle, after a few rooms I ran into Death who totally wrecked me. I did check online and found out that I just got really unlucky and that it wasn't necessarily a fixed encounter, but I do want to grind a bit before heading back to BBI. Should I just dick around in the Everfall until I get to around level 60 or so, or is there a better way?

Also, I really wish there was an option to change the menu theme back to what it was in the original game.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shima Honnou posted:

You don't have to kill it that way. When it does the ground tentacles, if you walk underneath it, the tentacle will hit the eye and knock it down for a few seconds so you can wail on it. After about three pips of life or so, it'll summon a magic cannon that you can then use to take off half its life if you kill the tentacles around the cannon in time. The daggers you get from beating Grigori are more than enough to kill it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Roguelike posted:

You don't have to kill it that way. When it does the ground tentacles, if you walk underneath it, the tentacle will hit the eye and knock it down for a few seconds so you can wail on it. After about three pips of life or so, it'll summon a magic cannon that you can then use to take off half its life if you kill the tentacles around the cannon in time. The daggers you get from beating Grigori are more than enough to kill it.

My favorite way to kill something is Arc of Deliverance since it feels like you're just straight up Goku charging for an episode before melting 5 HP bars, but Gazer didn't give me that kind of time while it was down. I tried to get my pawns to do that for me (They actually managed it a couple times), but he always fell facing the wrong direction and I couldn't sidle over to the eye in time. So then I just climbed up there and killed him in like 30 seconds just smacking the eye.

homewrecker posted:

Is the Everfall the best area to level up in post-game?

I beat the main quest at around level 44 and I went to check out Bitter Black Isle, after a few rooms I ran into Death who totally wrecked me. I did check online and found out that I just got really unlucky and that it wasn't necessarily a fixed encounter, but I do want to grind a bit before heading back to BBI. Should I just dick around in the Everfall until I get to around level 60 or so, or is there a better way?

Death is actually something of a random encounter. If you run or hit him enough, he'll go away, but probably not before killing your pawns. If anything, what you really gotta be afraid of until you get deeper are the loving garms, those will wreck you.

quote:

Also, I really wish there was an option to change the menu theme back to what it was in the original game.

Me too :smith:

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 20, 2013

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
If anyone feels like taking a low level newbie pawn out for an adventure please consider my new mage pawn Whisper.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I will consider it if you will consider giving us a platform and handle, I like handholding tissue-paper pawns.

E: Found it

Sylphosaurus posted:

xbox profile: Friegolit

titties fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 20, 2013

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Yeah, sorry about that. I should have mentioned that I had updated the pawn document as well.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
This game is really fun though it's kind of annoying my first time playing being DA. I can't rate or make comments on the pawns I am renting because they are original DD players. And no one rents my pawn, which has to be at least in part because most DA players are higher level.

Anyway, only in earl-mid 30s now but I added my pawn to the list.

ChaoticGood
May 7, 2010
drat Pawn Community upload system always refuses to upload my best photos...

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

ultrachrist posted:

This game is really fun though it's kind of annoying my first time playing being DA. I can't rate or make comments on the pawns I am renting because they are original DD players. And no one rents my pawn, which has to be at least in part because most DA players are higher level.

They actually took out the AI rental that would at least give you a few free RCs, unfortunately. Near as I can tell, it's because RC drops from just about everything in BBI, although I haven't seen a drop rate or size that would actually make purification of higher-tier items self-sustainable yet.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Are the Rift Crystals that useful? My pawn has only been rented out once (reciprocally for a pawn I had for a while) but I haven't been too fussed about it because I haven't seen a need for the things. That said, I've only just completed the main game dragon quest, haven't been too fussy about always having the ultra-best gear and haven't started Bitterblack Isle yet.

ultrachrist posted:

I'm on level 55ish so your pawn might get smacked around a bit but if you're on Xbox360 I'll have a look. I can't find your name on the list though.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Any (good) drop from Bitterblack Isle, from basic potion-type items or usable things like monster lures, to powerful armor and weapons (Generally better than a lot of what you can find outside of BBI), to scrolls that allow you to unlock special augments that you can't get any other way, have to be identified, which costs rift crystals. You can also upgrade dragonforged items another two times above dragonforging, which also costs RC.

There are also periodic rift stones which are broken inside of BBI, which you're encouraged to repair since they'll heal your pawns, which is highly useful as there aren't many areas within the place that you can actually heal at without going to the beginning.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

If we're doing pawn pimping, my level 77 Salmet could really use some time out of the yard. PSN name is Titanite__Slab, that's with 2 underscores 'cuz I'm an unoriginal chucklefuck.

e: does anyone else have Too Much Fun chucking the pawns in the Everfall to their doom? I think it's the way their feet kick :3:

e2: Just moved her to I think ranger, yellow with daggers? I'm probably Doing It Wrong but I'm trying to max out each vocation for myself and the pawn.

Chard fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 21, 2013

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
What class is your pawn? Might add you later and hire that pawn for my BBI diving.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Trapezium Dave posted:

Are the Rift Crystals that useful? My pawn has only been rented out once (reciprocally for a pawn I had for a while) but I haven't been too fussed about it because I haven't seen a need for the things. That said, I've only just completed the main game dragon quest, haven't been too fussy about always having the ultra-best gear and haven't started Bitterblack Isle yet.

I'm on level 55ish so your pawn might get smacked around a bit but if you're on Xbox360 I'll have a look. I can't find your name on the list though.

Thank you sir. Name is at the very bottom. GT is ultrachrist2 and pawn is named Rockstar. I am going to play some in a few minutes so hopefully gain some levels for him.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Pawn pimping? I'm in! PSN name is Creepies, my pawn Kali is a sorc somewhere around 57. I had originally intended to swap her back to mage for healing purposes after picking up the sorc augments, but since magic can't deal with the lowered max hp type damage I decided making giant flaming rocks fall on everything was more important. Related, is there any way to use the personality alteration stuff to make her less likely to cancel casts when a phantasm hovers vaguely nearby? It's her greatest failing.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Chard posted:

e2: Just moved her to I think ranger, yellow with daggers? I'm probably Doing It Wrong but I'm trying to max out each vocation for myself and the pawn.

You're doing it wrong but it's fine because I have space in my party for a yellow-class rent-a-pawn!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Yeah I realized that leveling is tied to what they're doing about halfway though, but I can't let go of my completionist nature. Anyway she only has like one or two more vocations to get through before I can lock her into Sorceror permanently. Thanks!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Im sure some designer on this team thought it was a great idea to have healing magic completely opaque everything around it, and to have that effect loving follow you around, but if I ever find that person I'm going to strangle them until their idiot head falls off.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I get that one of the "things" about mystic knight is supposedly being able to reflect damage with well-timed blocks and poo poo, but it would be nice if the game ever explained just how well-timed those have to be, because I don't think I've ever managed to pull off any kind of reflection or properly use any of the shield skills aside from the ones that are literally just weapon enchantments.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shima Honnou posted:

I get that one of the "things" about mystic knight is supposedly being able to reflect damage with well-timed blocks and poo poo, but it would be nice if the game ever explained just how well-timed those have to be, because I don't think I've ever managed to pull off any kind of reflection or properly use any of the shield skills aside from the ones that are literally just weapon enchantments.

They have to be timed pretty close. You know you pull one off because the game goes into slow mo and for most enemies, you knock them back or stagger them.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Do you have the core skill that allows you to perfect block? The timing is pretty tight though, even with the augment that extends the number of perfect block frames. Just takes some practice and familiarity with enemy attack patterns. I got a hell of a lot better at it on my solo fighter run.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You get a very nice window if you have the Fighter augment for more frames to do a perfect block. It's practically not even worth trying without it though unless you can read the animations really well.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I do have the core skill for MK, but not the augment. I'll have to get that after I do some more magick archer leveling outside of BBI.

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
At what point does my arrows stop sucking dick? Level 90 (did Assassins from 1-75) and the only way I can kill bosses/harder monsters is spamming blast arrows which is kinda cheesing and a pain to keep carrying around. Everything in Bitterblack takes about 5+ arrows to down.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Er, do you mean when do they stop being overpowered? Never, basically.

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
I was talking about regular arrows. I can't really kill any of the bigger poo poo like Drakes/Wyrm's without spamming blast arrows with tenfold fury.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I have no idea how anyone plays as anything but Strider. I have this persistent feeling that I should at least be leveling as an Assassin or Ranger or something, but they don't have Mad Dash or Leaping Stone or Skull Splitter. When I decide I want to move fast as an Assassin, I have to hold still for an entire five seconds first. It's horrifying. I don't think Ranger has any zoomy options at all. Am I ever going to come across, like, boots that increase my run speed or something? Assassin stat growth would be so nice, but I have been far too spoiled to deal with normal running speed.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Right, I'm thinking about starting a new game today because my first strategy of "change vocations early and often" has left me with an Arisen and a pawn who can do an incredible array of things very poorly. My new plan is to make a beeline for Assassin, which seems to have the best options for massive damage to weak points and I plan to hunt the Ur-Dragon this time around. Pawn will be a Mage for healing and buffing purposes, and hopefully staying out of the way most of the time so he isn't such a liability (Sorcerers, I'm looking at you and your slow-rear end casting).

If I understand this correctly, my best bet for Arisen would be to start off as a short, medium-weight Strider (Helm Splitter) and switch to Assassin ASAP. Pawn will be a medium height fatty Mage (Anodyne, various affinities) for holding all my stuffs and keeping me alive, and will probably not do much vocation changing. If I have it right this means my main stat will be Strength and pawn's will be Magick, and ne'er the twain shall meet if I can help it - that way he can support me while I carve flesh like a madman? I'm still a little iffy on exactly how that works, for example if I have Chilling Razors that do both types, how is the game calculating my output?

What I really need help with is choosing Augmentations and figuring out how to get them. My basic strategy is just climb it until it dies, since many enemies are pretty clueless about that, so what should I be going for here? I re-read the OP and it was helpful but I still need some guidance.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The magic damage you get from your weapons is based off of your magic stat, if I recall correctly. So I guess you wouldn't be getting such great damage values. I think Affinity spells work the same way, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

For good augments, BBI actually has a lot of great Secret Augments that would benefit a climb and stab playstyle. Off the top of my head, I recall there's one augment, Adhesion, which makes you very resistant to getting thrown off. There's also another augment, whose name I forget, which buffs your Strength while you're clinging. Dunno how early you'd want to head in there, though. You might also want to do a bit more Fighter/Warrior leveling, since they both have Strength increasing Augments.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I'd say start the game as fighter with a fighter pawn, that way the both of you will have a half-decent base of HP, stamina, defenses, and strength to keep yourselves alive. If your pawn's a caster, he almost certainly will eat hits while charging up his magic, so you've gotta make sure he can take a couple knocks. Although, considering assassin eats stamina quite a bit, you may be better off starting as a strider and your pawn a fighter. Assassins gain more stamina than striders, though, so the difference might offset over time. Either way, the HP and defense is what you'll most want out of your early levels, especially for a caster.

Probably the both of you should max out fighter/strider and then swap to your desired classes and stay there, although I'd also highly recommend swapping to warrior long enough to get the good augments out of it. Bastion and ferocity are drat fine augments. If you absolutely need more strength, stick with warrior a bit longer to squeeze more leveling and augments out of it. Clout does stack with other strength boosting augments, including assassin augments, and proficiency will probably help you a lot, but the cost is steep (You have to max warrior).

Diversification is not a boon for the most part, so you only really want to stick with a given class long enough that you wring what you need out of it and then stick with your desired class basically forever. That means don't max warrior unless you really want clout or proficiency. After you switch to assassin, I'd say you shouldn't swap again unless you get gear that vastly outclasses what you have access to, which can easily happen as soon as you start doing BBI and find some drops.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Thanks for the advice, I had forgotten to consider HP growth (:downs:) so I'll definitely be spending some time in the red jobs. Sounds like those Warrior augmentations are going to be necessary as well for my Arisen, since his main tactic is going to be stabbing forever and I want those stabs to do something. Time to make some hideous abominations in character creation!

Another question: is enhancing early gear worth it, or am I better off just hoarding everything until I find weapons/armor that will serve me through post-game? Last time I tried enhancing everything and the menus got confusing, as far as choosing best gear goes. I have a compulsion to hoover up every consumable and combinable in sight range so materials aren't usually a problem, but gold can be before farming Wakestones is an option. Or is it mostly a fashion show, which is fine by me?

Chard fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
It might actually be a smart move to start in hard mode and then move to normal (via dying and retrying) after you're done with it, since you gain experience faster and, more importantly, you get a shitload of gold drops even at the outset.

Whatever you can get off Caxton or the dude in the quarry will probably do you well enough for a while; once you hit level 40-45 is when you can cautiously enter BBI and survive, scrounging for the vastly superior loot there; you've just gotta pick your battles (If it looks like it can destroy you on BBI, it probably will).

• Locked thread