Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Ethanfr0me posted:

I just found a Yashica T4 Zoom for cheap at a flea market, is there a big difference between it and the regular T4? I'm wondering if it is worth keeping or if I should try reselling it to get something nicer.

Standard T4s have a fast, super sharp Zeiss 35/f3.5. They are a great point and shoot.(T3s have an arguably nicer 35/f2.8)

T4 zooms have a slow f4.5-f8 zoom which isn't anything special.

Summary: If it's cheap, sell it and buy the better Yashica T4. Then go shoot dicks in armpits.

(also, check it first. don't know if it's just my bad luck, but both T4s I've had ended up with a jammed film advance)

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Or just go for the gold and get a T5 like I did :cool:

Also known as the T4Super, it's basically a T4 with a waist level finder on the top. You can take pictures of strangers and they'll just think you're looking at your weiner!

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

tuddy posted:

been a little slow lately with getting my film developed, but i just got back from a trip to london and burned through a few rolls. Still waiting on my velvia to be developed.

all shot on contax t2, mostly with portra 400

sorry theres a lot, theres a ton more on my flickr - https://www.erickjeldsen.com

ill post up the velvia when i get it!

So the whole f2.8 is program only thing is a nuisance or no? The contax t2 are fairly cheap on ebay but i think its crazy that you cant really shoot in f2.8 with it. am i wrong?? Please someone tell me im wrong.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I finally got a camera I've always wanted. A Minox 35 GT. It has a dead mercury battery and I've read that I can use the shell of it to hold some watch batteries to replace it. Otherwise it's in great condition and I hope it works. Well worth the $16 I paid just to add it to my collection.

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
Olympus Mju2 (Epic stylus) with some Kodak TMX.
Taken quite some while ago, just got around to scanning most of my film.
Great little camera to bring along when backpacking. Taken around Cuzco and the sacred valley.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.
My XA is the only reason I still stock 35mm these days:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That guy in the pink shirt is loving amazing.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if he claimed his time machine had just dumped him into that crowd.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So my girlfriend's father sent us this:

Minolta RIVA Panorama by 2R_Roger, on Flickr

It's a Minolta Riva, a "panoramic" 35mm. By "panoramic" I mean a 24mm lens with a plastic housing around it so that you get a long rectangular image that looks like a panorama. The thing is, the lens on it is pretty great:

New York City by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Prospect Park by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Teaching Forrest how to ride a bike by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Me - Taken by AK by spikespikespike, on Flickr

It's been a fun camera to trade between my girlfriend and I.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 20, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Wow, that's actually really awesome.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That park shot with the bike is amazing.

Looks like a still from a movie (and not just because of the aspect ratio, the lighting and color feels very cinematic).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

xzzy posted:

Looks like a still from a movie (and not just because of the aspect ratio, the lighting and color feels very cinematic).

Putting black bars on your 35mm stills always looks cool:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
That park shot is stunning, great work.

I do remember in the early 90's my uncle having a panoramic 35mm point and shoot, used to get these long prints done at the store he got it processed at. I'll see if I can find out what the model was, and if he still has it.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Check out Jeff Bridges' stuff shot with a Widelux http://www.jeffbridges.com/photojan10a.html, courtesy pseudonordic in taintchat. Its a weirdo camera that uses a rotating 26mm lens. Its also lol expensive.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Awkward Davies posted:

So my girlfriend's father sent us this:

It's been a fun camera to trade between my girlfriend and I.

Awesome. What film were you using for those?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

QPZIL posted:

Wow, that's actually really awesome.

Thanks!

xzzy posted:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Putting black bars on your 35mm stills always looks cool:

Yeeah those bars do help. I've played around with making 16:9 images before, and it's amazing what your brain automatically interprets as "cinematic". For the record, those bars are there because the film was processed as an ordinary 35mm. If I ever get around to buying a scanner and scanning in some large resolution copies, I would try cropping them.

Spedman posted:

That park shot is stunning, great work.

I do remember in the early 90's my uncle having a panoramic 35mm point and shoot, used to get these long prints done at the store he got it processed at. I'll see if I can find out what the model was, and if he still has it.

Thanks! According to the camera wiki I was reading, this camera was the result of a pano craze sometime in the 90s, so it's seems like there were many floating around.

Spime Wrangler posted:

Check out Jeff Bridges' stuff shot with a Widelux http://www.jeffbridges.com/photojan10a.html, courtesy pseudonordic in taintchat. Its a weirdo camera that uses a rotating 26mm lens. Its also lol expensive.

My girlfriends dad worked with Bridges, who gave him a copy of his book. I was paging through it when I was at their house, it's a really incredible book. He's a super impressive photographer, if you haven't seen any of his images (people other than Spime Wrangler) I would highly suggest checking them out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Awkward Davies posted:

Yeeah those bars do help. I've played around with making 16:9 images before, and it's amazing what your brain automatically interprets as "cinematic". For the record, those bars are there because the film was processed as an ordinary 35mm. If I ever get around to buying a scanner and scanning in some large resolution copies, I would try cropping them.

Yeah, but the colors push them over the top. Even when I do a square crop using finger gymnastics it has that movie feel. It probably comes down to the film you used.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Subyng posted:

Awesome. What film were you using for those?

Portra 400, and Kodak 400

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Putting black bars on your 35mm stills always looks cool

is this the cool new crop because I'm about to start using it

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I just spoke to my uncle, and he said it was a Pentax point and shoot that had a little switch for going to panoramic mode (he was the awesome uncle that gave me his old ME Super and 50mm/1.4).

From a little digging, it looks like it was a Pentax Espio IQZoom of some kind, that can be had for next to nothing on eBay, supposedly has slow but super sharp lenses on them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

is this the cool new crop because I'm about to start using it

I dunno, I put black bars on mine just for showing someone who wanted me to do stills on a short film. It's not something I'd normally do to pictures but it does look cool sometimes.
You lose a lot of image from the still, even if you crop 2.35:1. Just keep it in mind when you're framing a shot, basically don't let your subject touch the top and bottom of your shot or you're screwed.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
My girlfriend just picked up this awesome wee thing for me in London, the Agfa Optima. Arguably the worlds first point and shoot camera:

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Holistic Detective posted:

My girlfriend just picked up this awesome wee thing for me in London, the Agfa Optima. Arguably the worlds first point and shoot camera:

It looks really advanced for something that apparently predates the Kodak Brownie.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
I love my Olympus Mju-1.

St Mary's

Hamilton Lake

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I found a Yashica T3 in my closet. That brings the total number of Yashica T3s I've found in this house to two.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Using any sort of digital mat around a picture can easily be hokey, though it shouldn't, since matting and framing (or not) is important to print display.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

The Nikon 35Ti has a panoramic mode but it's awful (uses a thinner portion of 2-3 frames to emulate a panorama), the only true Man's 35mm Panoramic Camera is the Hasselblad XPAN but it's terrifyingly expensive. But goddamn can Hasselblad put a nice 35mm together when they set their mind to it.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

But goddamn can Fuji put a nice 35mm together when they set their mind to it.

here, I fixed this for accuracy for you

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
But the 35Ti is dumb expensive too????

oozingfun
Feb 4, 2011
Not panoramic but . . .

Ricoh FF 3AF with Ektar 100. Cool little camera.

oozingfun fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 6, 2013

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The mju:ii with some Tri-X/Rodinal

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Very nice, love the first 3.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Time to go get drunk I guess.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I took some pics with that rollei. Good camera, terrible photographer.

img011.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

img009.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

img019.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Love that last one.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I'm looking for recommendations on a point and shoot camera and I know nothing about photography. There are so many different ones to choose from and lots of review sites say lots of different things. This is for general touristy/fun pic use. Here is what I am after:
  • Budget up to $300
  • Lighter/smaller = better
  • Fast (time to take photo after powering on)
  • Image quality (however I am not a photographer)
  • Good battery life

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Are you looking for film or digital?(cause this is the point and shoot film thread)

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Oh, oops, I am looking for digital. Found the other thread, sorry.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Would it be worth getting this thing to work again ? It's been in a drawer for 10 years and the battery still has juice.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

unpacked robinhood posted:

Would it be worth getting this thing to work again ? It's been in a drawer for 10 years and the battery still has juice.

Yes. XAs own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I went to a local photo store that occasionally has used 35mm P&S cameras for sale. They wanted $190 for a used XA with flash.

Then I went to the Goodwill bins and got a bungee cord, a beanie and a mint Epic DLX for 95c :getin:

• Locked thread