Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
What else did Mike Mearls work on? Iron Heroes was basically a 3e mod that stripped out casters and added in tokens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The only non-D20 things he's worked on are a handful of books for Vampire: the Masquerade and Hunter: the Reckoning. He's as mired in D20 as the rest of the design team, but he was on 4e's design team and is listed as co-author on the D&D board games, so he alone has experience in a capacity where it was his job to design a system.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 20, 2013

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

LaPille: Tom LaPille is a Magic: the Gathering developer. He started a website with the stated intention of getting a developer job, and got it, so he's a real developer-job-go-getter. He's worked on a bunch of Magic sets from 2007-2012. I know nothing about the history of and politics of Magic design, and I don't care to research it, so I can only assume that he was exiled to the prison realm of D&D for unspeakable crimes. However, I have great respect for Magic design, so I also assume his job is to watch what the rest of the Next team is doing and weep softly into the palms of his hands. That, or they've worked out a deal where Tom's paycheck is sent to his impoverished family, and he stays in a drug-induced coma so he can't do any damage.

He went back to Magic the Gathering. And yes, I think it was exile; from what I hear he managed to run the format he was in charge of into the ground and have it replaced with the competing one. (Legacy was one of them IIRC).

quote:

Horner: I'm a little confused here. RPGnet's index only credits her as an author on a handful of AD&D books, but Her own bibliography lists her as an editor on many books all the way up through the 4e era. I find it notable that she also worked on West End Games Bloodshadows and Necroscope books. She's also had a handful of short stories published in TSR-era anthologies.

She's an editor not a writer. She's inside the DMG2 as an editor, and is such a useful member of the team (and her CV is accurate). But so far as I can tell she isn't a game developer of any sort. So she's a necessary part of the team but not a game developer.

quote:

Jeremy Crawford wrote Blue Rose (a True20 game)

From what I can tell that's a slightly misleading impression. True 20 was written for Blue Rose and subsequently made generic. On the other hand Kenson's credited with the system - Crawford might have had the setting.

So that's the d20 hack that was Iron Heroes, the d20 hack that was Star Wars Saga, and possibly the d20 hack that is True20. Which still means that Tarnowski (Lords of Olympus, Arrows of Indra) possibly has more experience of gamke design than the team combined. Couldn't they have hired Luke Crane, Robin Laws, Rob Donahughe, Jason Morningstar, or Vincent Baker? (A D&D designed by either of those last two would probably be hilarious - although not as hilarious as if they'd tried to hire Ron Edwards).

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

neonchameleon posted:

Couldn't they have hired Luke Crane, Robin Laws, Rob Donahughe, Jason Morningstar, or Vincent Baker? (A D&D designed by either of those last two would probably be hilarious - although not as hilarious as if they'd tried to hire Ron Edwards)

If only they could have gotten Monte Cook. :rimshot:

Does anyone have the full lulzy story of what transpired between Wizards and Cook yet?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
To be fair, Monte Cook was the only game designer involved with the project besides Mike Mearls.

Since there is only one game designer now, it should come as no surprise that this is now 100% Mike Mearls. And Mearls is taking all of his cues from ENWorld.

Still, given their stated design goals, from the get go no game designer could have salvaged this project. A lot of this thread, in its previous incarnation, was of the opinion that the various design goals were feasible and we just had to wait and see.

At least he was honest!

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
New Q&A is up, all about Legendary stuff. It's really short and has very little we didn't know already from Mearls' article other than the fact that it sounds like they're actually having separate XP values for the dragon both in and out of the lair like somebody suggested earlier.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Mendrian posted:

Does anyone have the full lulzy story of what transpired between Wizards and Cook yet?
I think they realized he was the moon and therefore not authorized to work in the US.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

"Some magic items are important."

"Some monsters are important, and also magical."

Innovation. Next. Mearls.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Mendrian posted:

When one of the paid consultants first sends then publishes an e-mail like this then the group just isn't big enough for the both of them. And they decided not to drop the Pundit so far as I know.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpactVector posted:

New Q&A is up, all about Legendary stuff. It's really short and has very little we didn't know already from Mearls' article other than the fact that it sounds like they're actually having separate XP values for the dragon both in and out of the lair like somebody suggested earlier.

Wait why does it have two xp totals? Is it not two separate creatures? If it's more dangerous in lair would the fighter become more dangerous if he carried around a thatch roof with him everywhere he goes?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

neonchameleon posted:

When one of the paid consultants first sends then publishes an e-mail like this then the group just isn't big enough for the both of them. And they decided not to drop the Pundit so far as I know.

Reading that is hilarious. It's the first time I've seen it.

It's hilarious because I remember being over on RPGnet when Cook started posting. And the response from most 4e fans is that everything he was saying was incredibly reactionary. We called him Monte "Caster Supremacy" Cook.

"Everything this guy says scares old school gamers" is hilarious and indicative of all the problems Next faces when trying to 'unite' the player base.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
It's like we were scared of a mugger and ran, only to find Godzilla around the next corner.

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013
I love the fact that Pundit is pissed at Cook not because he wants to make a simulationist game, but for using the word simulationist, because that would be admitting that other approaches exist.

But seriously that whole thing astounds me. I cannot for the life of me imagine another industry that would ever embrace the crazy fringe of its fandom in the way D&D has.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I thought simulation was exactly what people like Pundit want though? Like, I don't get it. He hates narrative poo poo, poo poo where players can simply declare what happens and everybody 'plays pretend.'

What would he want if not simulation?

e: Is he arguing for the existence of the rare gamist, war-gaming pole? Because if not... what the hell does he conceive as a valid RPG?

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!

WordMercenary posted:

I love the fact that Pundit is pissed at Cook not because he wants to make a simulationist game, but for using the word simulationist, because that would be admitting that other approaches exist.

Well. I was more interested in the part where he compared a certain mode of game design to the holocaust.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He wants a game that identifies him as belonging to a group that excludes users of the shibboleth "simulationist."

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Mendrian posted:

We called him Monte "Caster Supremacy" Cook.

Who's this "We"? I called him Monte "Passive Perception" Cook. And it wasn't until after that little fiasco I took against him per se (although I'd been highly unimpressed by both his understanding of Timmy cards and his deliberately putting weak feats in his system).

neonchameleon fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 20, 2013

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Oh my god his first response to the first responders:

quote:

I think the issue, Magnet, is that they need to create a basic core system that will effectively represent the "essence" of D&D, and that essence is, at its base, old-school. That's not to say they can't innovate;

It literally doesn't matter what's after that semicolon because his entire argument is that the core of D&D literally always has to be whatever it was way back when but everything he's arguing isn't even from way back when it's from one specific version and there are plenty of people that feel exactly the same way this is the worst uggghhhhhhhhh

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

neonchameleon posted:

Who's this "We"? I called him Monte "Passive Perception" Cook. And it wasn't until after that little fiasco I took against him per se (although I'd been highly unimpressed by both his understanding of Timmy cards and his deliberately putting weak feats in his system).

Okay by we I mean like six dudes in one thread.

I'm just saying it's not like the crowd was rallying behind Monty here. The notion that he represents terrible, new-fangled gaming design just tickles me.

Heh. Passive perception.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

To help understand this mindset realize this: ENWorld absolutely loved the new 5e dragon (the one that's a bad 4e knockoff) right until someone mentioned that the legendary action points or whatever were dissociated, at which point they began to rapidly turn against it. Enjoyment matters less then ideological purity.
Hypothetically, if I were to post a thread comparing and contrasting D&D Next acolytes and the GOP, would I post it here or in Debate & Discussion

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
So I haven't really been keeping up with the playtest; what does the Fighter actually do now? Last I can remember there was something about Expertise/Martial Dice and...no, that's about it. Is he going around just swinging his sword? Is he any good at it? From reading the thread it sounds like Caster Supremacy is in full effect, but how far behind is everything else?

Basically, what's the current state of the Fighter (and Rogue, haven't heard really anything about them)?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Generic Octopus posted:

So I haven't really been keeping up with the playtest; what does the Fighter actually do now? Last I can remember there was something about Expertise/Martial Dice and...no, that's about it. Is he going around just swinging his sword? Is he any good at it? From reading the thread it sounds like Caster Supremacy is in full effect, but how far behind is everything else?

Basically, what's the current state of the Fighter (and Rogue, haven't heard really anything about them)?

That'll be in the next packet. So they keep saying.

(My interpretation is that they have no loving clue. The first maneuvers presented were a joke, the dice thing had potential but got bogged down and eventually given to all classes, so now there's... uh... we'll get back to you on that.)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I wouldn't give a poo poo at all about 5E at this point, but it's eventually going to end my close relationship with my FLGS, because I am simply not going to come in once a week to participate in 5E Encounters. That's what bugs me at this point.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I wouldn't give a poo poo at all about 5E at this point, but it's eventually going to end my close relationship with my FLGS, because I am simply not going to come in once a week to participate in 5E Encounters. That's what bugs me at this point.
There's always Pathfinder :v:

WordMercenary posted:

But seriously that whole thing astounds me. I cannot for the life of me imagine another industry that would ever embrace the crazy fringe of its fandom in the way D&D has.
Comic books.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Barudak posted:

Wait why does it have two xp totals? Is it not two separate creatures? If it's more dangerous in lair would the fighter become more dangerous if he carried around a thatch roof with him everywhere he goes?
Portable Roof

Strong conjuration; CL 17th; Craft Wondrous Item, roof; Price 82,000 gp.

WordMercenary posted:

You'll eat those words when StarCraft 3 makes millions under Derek Smart's expert direction.

Mendrian posted:

I thought simulation was exactly what people like Pundit want though? Like, I don't get it. He hates narrative poo poo, poo poo where players can simply declare what happens and everybody 'plays pretend.'

WordMercenary posted:

WM has the right of it. An archconservative group wouldn't hire somebody to have them say to their supporters "I support your far-right values!" They wouldn't want to be told that they exist on a spectrum, much less using the language their opponents use to talk about them. They would want it taken for granted that their way is the only way and everything else is a deviation from it.

Splicer posted:

Comic books.
How so? I can think of situations where comics work the opposite of what we're seeing with Next; the creators write horrible poo poo because they're lazy and stupid, and the fans lap it up out of brand loyalty, despite complaining all the while.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
There are probably some parallels that can be drawn between the relationship of comic books to comic book movies and the relationship of D&D to, say, Magic: the Gathering or (yes) World of Warcraft.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Mendrian posted:

What would he want if not simulation?

e: Is he arguing for the existence of the rare gamist, war-gaming pole? Because if not... what the hell does he conceive as a valid RPG?

Humorously enough, I think he's angry over largely the same stuff that people in this thread get upset over. Sim means that they're taking a 'this makes sense, I bet this emulates reality' approach to the design rather than a 'oh hey, this will create a gameplay style that will be fun' approach. We're pretty much on board with his problem with feats, too.

We might not agree with what RPGPundit wants instead of Next, but what he complains about in that post is more or less in line with what we complain about here.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

neonchameleon posted:

So very much about 5e suddenly makes so much sense.

Barudak posted:

If the thatched roof let him heal 1/6th of his hit points every round, probably.

That's honestly one of the better things about the dragon. Costing the whole encounter rather than just the dragon portion is good game design.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

OtspIII posted:

Humorously enough, I think he's angry over largely the same stuff that people in this thread get upset over. Sim means that they're taking a 'this makes sense, I bet this emulates reality' approach to the design rather than a 'oh hey, this will create a gameplay style that will be fun' approach. We're pretty much on board with his problem with feats, too.

We might not agree with what RPGPundit wants instead of Next, but what he complains about in that post is more or less in line with what we complain about here.

And this is perfectly in line with Ron Edwards theories - that G and N are different but simmilar approaches (the rules should serve what you are trying to do) with S being way out on its own.

knux911
Nov 21, 2012

neonchameleon posted:

No surprise someone thought that every thing that Cook banged on about was detrimental. Every L&L that 'The Moon' published, tended to go down like a lead balloon. All the nostalgia and reminiscing of how it used to suck playing as say, a thief etc. Then to say, "We're bringing all that back! Isn't that great?!"

Don't get me started on that passive perception thing. I'm not sure what grinds my gears more. That or Rodney Thompson conveniently forgetting in 4e you only have 1 opportunity action per round. Then inventing the reaction mechanic and limiting it to 1 per round. To 'eliminate', the multiple opportunity actions in 4e that slowed down the game.

I'm really worried Mearls is going to destroy the game I love, just to bring back the game he played when he was a teenager.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Why is Monte Cook the "Moon" now?

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

knux911 posted:

I'm not sure what grinds my gears more. That or Rodney Thompson conveniently forgetting in 4e you only have 1 opportunity action per round. Then inventing the reaction mechanic and limiting it to 1 per round. To 'eliminate', the multiple opportunity actions in 4e that slowed down the game.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Essentials changed the rules so that you get one opportunity action per turn.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

thefakenews posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure Essentials changed the rules so that you get one opportunity action per turn.

Npbpdy changed the rules. You get one Immediate action per round. You get one opportunity action per combatant's turn.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Why is Monte Cook the "Moon" now?
There was a contest a while back to determine the real reason for Cook's departure from the Next team. Dinosaur Satan's winning entry was posted in the TG rules thread as irrefutable truth; the original thread has since been archived.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

thefakenews posted:

It's always been 1 opportunity action per turn and 1 immediate per round since phb1.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

It's always been 1 opportunity action per turn and 1 immediate per round since phb1.

Either way, Rodney Thompson was correct it appears.

Edit: Unless the poster I responded to said 'opportunity action' when he meant 'immediate action'.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Has anyone played in or run an OD&D session/campaign?

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

victrix posted:

I'm running one right now. If RC counts. It's The Lost City.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Nihnoz posted:

I'm running one right now. If RC counts. It's The Lost City.

Nah, specifically the little brown box rules...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

victrix posted:

If it's D&D, AlphaDog has played it.

• Locked thread