Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ozmiander posted:

...either china is invading my town, or the Chinese restaurant is using CBs to communicate with their drivers, since CH9 is full of Chinese speech and addresses.

That seems right. Same sort of thing here. I know I've mentioned all the Asian radio chatter and the base stations in stores. Not even food stores. I have no idea what they need them for and can't understand them but at least AM is getting used for something still I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Reminds me of always hearing the Vietnamese shrimpers on the MS coast on the marine VHF. But I guess they were using the freq for what it was designated for...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just attempted to place a $1400 Corksport order and both things I wanted are out of stock!

That counts right?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Confirmed my car went through a full emissions cycle and no light for the EGR valve!

I also placed a pair of washers under the bolts for the engine mount in my wife's car and nearly stopped all rattling in it. Perhaps I'll try again someday to fully stop all rattling... or not.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Went to the Pick n Pull and got lots of goodies for my Integra, not what I was looking for specifically but a lot of good stuff I've been keeping an eye for. Makes me all warm and fuzzy buying parts for my car :3:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Went to the Pick n Pull and got lots of goodies for my Integra, not what I was looking for specifically but a lot of good stuff I've been keeping an eye for. Makes me all warm and fuzzy buying parts for my car :3:

The pick and pull is the mortal enemy of my debit card :argh::10bux:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Replaced the distributor cap, rotor and radiator cap on the Niva. Radiator cap didn't work out too well. When it got up to temp it vomited everywhere. I think the tabs need a tweak or something.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 18, 2013

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

I said goodbye to my Speed6 after it starting eating suspension bits and I bought it...

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

General_Failure posted:

Replaced the distributor cap, rotor and radiator cap on the Niva. Radiator cap didn't work out too well. When it got up to temp it vomited everywhere. I think the tabs need a tweak or something.

I had a quick look at the radiator cap this evening. Took it off and the rubber on the plunger bit appeared to have been unevenly seated. Put the cap back on and it felt normal this time. Weird. Probably Saturday I'll chuck some water in it to replace the coolant it vomited today and get it up to temperature again. possibly after doing the hoses / thermostat.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

kimbo305 posted:

Well there is the running it on a dangerous tune for 750 mi.

I drove it down there on the OEM ECU, then got tuned on PowerFC.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

j3rkstore posted:

I drove it down there on the OEM ECU, then got tuned on PowerFC.

I read that as PowerPC and was wondering why they were using such old equipment. :|

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ratbert90 posted:

I read that as PowerPC and was wondering why they were using such old equipment. :|

Actually... http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MPC5510
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPC5xx

PowerPC chips are still used in a ton of ECUs.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Blew the clutch slave cylinder out of the 1970 250c and now the 240d is suddenly acting starved for fuel. The wrenches never stop turning in my garage.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Oh I know, I code for microchip pic's and Freescale processors at work.

We are getting new i.MX6 boards at work soon! :allears:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
So since I installed my coilover suspension, I've had some clunking coming from the front end. I finally got some spare time to drop the car off at the shop and get it fixed.

Eventually I get a call from the shop! All of my front control arms are shot and I'd be looking at a $1700 bill after parts + labor. Yea, totally keep my car and perform the work! NAHHHT. :suicide:

gently caress. Me.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I put the wife's Civic on a diet.

There's flash flood warnings today. I hope she listened when I told her to avoid puddles :argh:

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
Today spark plugs, heater core hose clamps, high octane, seafoam and leaded fuel, tomorrow, THE WORLD! Now if I could just rob a bank to fund a full resto...

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Swapped the mids from my parts car to my good car with blown mids.

Removed an e36 doorpanel without splitting it apart :smug:

I'm start a collection of blown HK mids. I also have a set of blown mids from my 330i somewhere, I swear they use tissue paper for speaker cones.

Dinosorcerer
Sep 2, 2011
Hit 100,000 'miles' (:spergin:) today.

I bought the car just as it rolled over 100,000 kms about 4 1/2 years ago and it's been a whole bunch of fun.
I think it's finally time to upgrade the turbo's though...

Dinosorcerer fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 21, 2013

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

How much rear torque does it put out? :v:

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

Yesterday, I missed my english class. Why, you ask? I overtightened my carburetor, pinched the gasket, and got to watch as, two miles from my college, fuel started squeezing it's way out of the carburetor and the car stalled out. I pulled into an abandoned parking lot, pulled off the carb, flipped the gasket, adjusted the fuel-air mixture and idle speed, and went on my merry way.... where I failed to get to class and missed a test and turning in an essay.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Burped my jeep again. it now seems to heat to one hash past 210, then sink back down to 210. Better, i guess.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That sounds like a very slightly sticking thermostat. As long as it stays within range once it's up to temp I'd call it a done deal.

I finally painted my passenger wiper arm to match the other one I did months ago. Also tried to install the spare tire holddown I got, but the shaft is too short, the nut won't thread on.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that
I normally like to do my own work, but I felt replacing valve springs might be too much for me right now. I had a recommended mechanic do the work for me. When I pulled in, he had a Ford GT sitting in his bay. I felt like I was in good hands.

When I went to pick it up, I noticed he had a dyno and asked if he would do a run for me so I could get a baseline. Ended up with 356 at the wheels. Not bad for an otherwise stock '03 z06. I wanted to try and capture the sound of the exhaust. I think it came out ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqtAQc-6lfQ

I'll be replacing the shocks within the next month and then I'll do a trackday in early fall. I'll decide then if I want more power or better suspension.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I just had my clutch, pilot and throwout bearings replaced in the Saabaru. It's remarkable how abrupt the clutch feels now.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Got the Niva to vomit coolant again, but this time into the overflow tank. Not sure if it's meant to do that or no. It's been so very long since I've dealt with an unpressurized tank system that I don't remember the nuances. Also watched as the exhaust went from smoke to no smoke in an instant when something changed. I suspect whatever mysterious thing that makes the EGR valve operate.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Today I proved my maturity level.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Laranzu posted:

I said goodbye to my Speed6 after it starting eating suspension bits and I bought it...

Yes! Welcome to the club. Is that the Tangerine Scream color?

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon
Last night I finished stripping everything potentially useful out of this 94 Camry:

so I can stick it all in another one with a dead transmission and tired engine, it'll be on it's way to the scrapyard in an hour or so.

also while removing the rear glass the cutting wire I was using broke causing me to punch myself in the mouth, so that's something I guess

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Professor Awesome posted:

also while removing the rear glass the cutting wire I was using broke causing me to punch myself in the mouth, so that's something I guess

Nothing quite as refreshing as punching yourself during auto repairs. Gave myself a nice fat lip a few years ago.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Laranzu posted:

Yay, another one joins the club! An ST3?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rhyno posted:

Nothing quite as refreshing as punching yourself during auto repairs. Gave myself a nice fat lip a few years ago.

Coworker of mine broke half his tooth off years back when he was leaning on a wrench to loosen a tie rod jam nut and it gave way all at once.

I got the dome light I ordered! The connector is wired up and mounted to the roof, now I need to figure out how to attach the actual housing. Apparently it's the same unit as 3rd-gen Camaros. There's these... screws that screw into the roof holding the electrical bit down, and then there's a smooth (non-threaded) stud sticking out of them, which goes through holes in the housing? Can't work out how it's held in place after that, though.

So now I can say my truck has :smug:Camaro Parts:smug: right?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
4 new fuzion tires, alignment, and a surprise outer tie rod on the passenger side. Only $70 for the tie rod and labor so I'm pretty happy. Anyone use these fuzion tires? Getting them for my suburban. 4 tires mount balance install for 533 and like 65 for the alignment. Drove out of town to check out this place my coworker highly recommended, glad I did. They showed me the bad tie rod which I'm not used to from most shops, they seem like good people and Ill be back when I need tires again.

E: I love the smell of tire stores, is that weird?

86boy
Apr 22, 2013

Capslock Holmes posted:

4 new fuzion tires, alignment ... when I need tires again.

E: I love the smell of tire stores, is that weird?

Not one bit. I love the smell of new tires as well as burning them off. Never ending cycle!

I got my 283 v8 swap in my 64 impala up and running again!!!! Woooot!!!!

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

86boy posted:

Not one bit. I love the smell of new tires as well as burning them off. Never ending cycle!

I got my 283 v8 swap in my 64 impala up and running again!!!! Woooot!!!!

A good 283 is a beautiful thing. What transmission do you have?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

4 new tires and alignment. I went with the Continental ExtremeContact DW tires. Good deal on Tirerack for them & pretty highly rated summer tires. Now I just have to scrub them in. Had to air them up some, the local place had them at around 34 PSI when I picked it up.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Finished up wiring the lights in my civic. Everything works except the front right indicator, I think it might be the connector as I cut and resoldered where I merged the OBD0 and OBD2 harness without result. I also pulled the front suspension so I can get the new bushings pressed in. After that, I just have to install the radiator after the welder is done with it and go get it tuned (again...).

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

11BulletCatcher posted:

A good 283 is a beautiful thing. What transmission do you have?

So thats 3 283s in AI now? I like it.

I finally reported my tags stolen to the DMV today since the rear end in a top hat I sold my GTI to never sent them back. Now I can put the C10 back on the road in the next week or two.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Fucknag posted:

dome light stuff

IT LIVES! Turns out the housing is held onto those smooth posts by spring clip washers, which were included with the housing. Pried them off the new screws, pushed everything up onto my roof and tossed a bulb in and we're good to go.

It seems silly to care about something so small, but now that I can actually get in my truck at night without fumbling around in the dark I'm officially declaring it No Longer Third World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Was a tool bitch for kastein and ACE while they did all the hard work putting on my downpipe in Billy Tully's driveway even though he was nowhere to be found.

So far the high flow cat didn't throw a CEL and it sounds a little throatier.