Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Valentin posted:

Instead, it can be read as a sad and revealing line. Kanye claims to be a god, but he can't get anything done. He can't even get loving croissants brought to his table in a timely fashion. Despite all his wealth and fame, he's basically impotent. I think that's a major theme of this album, and it's a shame most people won't look beyond the surface braggadocio.

I actually like this interpretation of the line. Kanye probably knows/intended for the line to be funny (I actually think the phrase "French-rear end restaurant" is the funniest part of the line), but that fits in with the likely message of the song, doesn't it? Kanye making people laugh at him -- presumably a "God" -- pretty much hammers home the point that he's not one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
I liked the first half of the album, the more industrial stuff and disparate samples... I haven't actually sat down and listened to a Kanye album before this, but I can tell it's him trying to push his own and popular hip hop's boundaries.

And the croissants line is an awesome punchline

Tricerapowerbottom fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 19, 2013

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
I love the solo beat the latter half of "Hold my Liquor." drat.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
As much as I love Frank Ocean's section on New Slaves it just feels slapped on and abrupt. Maybe that was the intent, but it is always super jarring when it hits.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
God I wish all of Hold My Liquor was like 1:00-2:18

but bigghost's description of Chief Keef "gettin his unnecessary on" was perfect

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Professor Funk posted:

This is true. I'm pretty sure I read in several reviews that it was in fact a sample, but I guess that's not the case.

Writers have been saying it was a sample since the SNL performance just because it sounded similar. Which is dumb. No matter how much money you have, it's ridiculous to pay for a sample for such an easily-reproduced sound.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Writers have been saying it was a sample since the SNL performance just because it sounded similar. Which is dumb. No matter how much money you have, it's ridiculous to pay for a sample for such an easily-reproduced sound.

Yeah, and it's not like that's an especially unique beat.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
So, is someone going to answer which version is the "correct" one to snag? iTunes, physical, or off of Kanyewest.com?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Avoid iTunes one, mastering is rear end.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Charlie Wilson's part on "bound 2" is ta-dow. we need an entire album of kanye et al producing for him

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Avoid iTunes one, mastering is rear end.

son of a bitch :mad:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Anybody know which of the masterings Spotify got?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Don't worry about mastering, this album ain't about pristine audio quality.

Tohovi
Jul 18, 2006
Clicking the featuring artist God on Spotify links to an actual artist...which is even more hilarious to me. (I don't have the time to actually listen to those tracks, I'm too busy listening to Yeezus for the 30th time)

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Right wing site Breitbart posted an article about the album using an offensive line about Parkinson's and well the right wingers saw the blood in the water.

"A monster about to come alive again / Soon as I pull up and park the Benz / We get this bitch shaking like Parkinson's."

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2013/06/19/parkinson-group-kanye-west-lyric

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Right wing site Breitbart posted an article about the album using an offensive line about Parkinson's and well the right wingers saw the blood in the water.

"A monster about to come alive again / Soon as I pull up and park the Benz / We get this bitch shaking like Parkinson's."

quote:

The American Parkinson Disease Association called the line ... a "product of obvious ignorance."

poo poo man, the APDA really understands Yeezus. :v:

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

I'm utterly depressed that years of reading the Freep threads has left me fluent in insane right-wing pidgin insults, meaning that I know that post is referring to Obama and Michelle.

goodog fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 20, 2013

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

deadwing posted:

poo poo man, the APDA really understands Yeezus. :v:

dang, that's like one of my favorite lines!

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

El Negocio posted:

I'm utterly depressed that years of reading the Freep threads has left me fluent in insane right-wing pidgin insults, meaning that I know that post is referring to Obama and Michelle.

that post was literally 100% nonsense to me I am so lost

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
All I know is that "beard" = "Muslim." I learned this from arguing with a local right wing dude who liked to post "death to Islam" on facebook a lot.

edit: (ok I guess I have the wrong slang for beard here, it's apparently a homoerotic thing in this context. gently caress these people...)

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

caldrax posted:

All I know is that "beard" = "Muslim." I learned this from arguing with a local right wing dude who liked to post "death to Islam" on facebook a lot.

Beard is a term for girlfriends/wives of gay men who only date women to hide their true sexuality. Mooch and O'Flamer in that comment = Michelle and Barack.

What the gently caress did I just type

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wario Kart 64 posted:

Beard is a term for girlfriends/wives of gay men who only date women to hide their true sexuality. Mooch and O'Flamer in that comment = Michelle and Barack.

What the gently caress did I just type

This is the worst thing I've read in a long time. Not your posting, just... the content. Ugh.

\/\/\/
Not the beard part, the mooch and o flamer thing

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 20, 2013

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

"Beard" isn't insulting. It's a term that has been used pretty widely for a while now by people of any orientation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beard_(companion)

Edit: Oh yeah, it's the Yeezus thread. I think the album is a missed opportunity. When Kanye listens to it, can't he immediately hear where something could be improved? Although, it's still drat entertaining and I recently listened to it a few times on a long drive.

I kind of wanted to hear songs with that crazy list of collaborators posted before the album came out. Like Skrillex. I bet Kanye is like Prince and just has hundreds of songs in some vault somewhere all as good as anything released on an album.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 20, 2013

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
I don't love this album, but god drat some of the songs on it are so good. New Slaves, Black Skinhead, Bound 2, and I am a God are all insane.

Angry Kanye is good Kanye.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Blood on the Leaves is the best song on the album :colbert:

It is the only one where all the elements come together perfectly that isnt marred by lovely lyrics.

quote:

I dont give a drat if you used to talk to Jay-Z
He aint with you he with Beyonce you need to stop actin lazy
She instagram herself like "bad bitch alert"
He instagram his watch like "mad rich alert"
He only wanna see that rear end in reverse
$2000 bag but no cash in ya purse

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Yeah I don't get how people rate Kanye's verses because blood on the leaves is pretty good.

temple fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 21, 2013

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I generally think Kanye has pretty strong lyrics these days, or they're at least genuinely clever. Sometimes he gets a little lazy and rhymes the same word over and over or writes some really cringeworthy poo poo about sweet and sour sauce but those tend to be exceptions.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

mynameisjohn posted:

Charlie Wilson's part on "bound 2" is ta-dow. we need an entire album of kanye et al producing for him

I was hoping that was like a sample from another song or something because it sounds so fantastic I need a whole song of it.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm still annoyed every time I hear "Keep it 300 like the romans".

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

thathonkey posted:

I generally think Kanye has pretty strong lyrics these days, or they're at least genuinely clever. Sometimes he gets a little lazy and rhymes the same word over and over or writes some really cringeworthy poo poo about sweet and sour sauce but those tend to be exceptions.

His verses on Gorgeous/Monster/So Appalled are seriously awesome.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

The beat coming in on Blood on the Leaves gives me goosebumps every time. I think I blew a speaker in my car having Black Skinhead up too loud. This goddamn album, man. :stare:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Kanye can be an incredible lyricist when he chooses to (ex: Barry Bonds) so my guess is it's a style choice or he just doesn't loving care about those spots where the lyrics are a little corny.

e: also every bad kanye line is excused by mayonnaise colored benz i push miracle whips

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 21, 2013

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I like that the last track is kind of that old Kanye soul sampling vibe, but he's just like YELLING over it. It's like his way of trying to say he's too huge now to fit into his old way of doing things or I don't know. That's my Thought About Kanye thanks

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

echronorian posted:

I'm still annoyed every time I hear "Keep it 300 like the romans".

I like to think Kanye is oblivious to the fact that the line is inaccurate and everybody he works with was too scared to tell him.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

He named his loving daughter North West.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
loving of course he did.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

:ughh: poor girl never stood a chance

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

There's kids named loving Apple it's fine.

Gladstone
Dec 13, 2010
Blue Ivy Carter and North West

WTT 2 in 2030

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
His name is Kanye. It's not like he was ever going to name her like Jessica or some poo poo

• Locked thread