Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Leb posted:

Since all DLC functionality is already made available to/being used by the AI with each new patch, all DLC is save compatible; buying it will simply unlock it for the player.

Thamks :) Now I just have to wait for them to show up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla
May 10, 2008

catlord posted:

Last time I tried this, I tried Korea, and the terrain was off (huge, jagged spikes shooting up into the air) and provinces were like, off centre or something? It was difficult to click on them and you weren't actually clicking on the province. I assume that's all better now? I tried it a good while ago, maybe when LoR came out or something.

I haven't seen anything that bizarre...the mini-map's a bit off and you get a pop up every month telling you that some minor religion has just reformed over and over, but it's mostly stuff you can just ignore. My dream would be to have something like this ported into ck2+ or vice versa. Trying to unite all the Eastern kingdoms into what they were historically is just drat fun to me.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Sulla posted:

I haven't seen anything that bizarre...the mini-map's a bit off and you get a pop up every month telling you that some minor religion has just reformed over and over, but it's mostly stuff you can just ignore. My dream would be to have something like this ported into ck2+ or vice versa. Trying to unite all the Eastern kingdoms into what they were historically is just drat fun to me.

Fantastic, gonna give it another shot then, but Strategy Informer is giving me a fatal error when I try to download it.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

How do you win wars? I'm sitting here attacking Kildare, and there are lines through it. I'm sitting with nearly 1500 troops on it, but nothing seems to be happening.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Zotix posted:

How do you win wars? I'm sitting here attacking Kildare, and there are lines through it. I'm sitting with nearly 1500 troops on it, but nothing seems to be happening.

Look at the bottom right. There should be a little portrait with crossed swords and a percentage. When it gets above 95% or so you can click it, offer peace, and demand surrender. You can also use it to surrender or sue for white peace. If it's not at 100% or close to that yet, find armies of Kildare to smack around, take more of its holdings, or just wait.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Zotix posted:

You need to push the war score to 100% or until the opponent capitulates. Usually the way to do this is to completely occupy all of his holdings. Solid lines through a province means you've completely occupied every holding in that province. Dashed lines through it means there's still holdings to beseige.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

edit: I died, and it split anyway.

So my brother now has control over Leinster. And I've got the duchy of Dublin which include Kildare now. Is it worth getting Leinster back, and trying to form that duchy with it's neighboring area? Even if I do that, it's problematic as I don't think I'll have children that would control it upon death. This game is too confusing.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 21, 2013

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
I hope whomever is doing this LP isn't like the person doing the Vicky 2 LP who updates once a week if you're lucky.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Playing CK2+, how do I take the lands in between France and Germany? I have the queen of Lotharingia as a vassal but there's no option to war for it and I don't want to bother trying to marry into a tiny duchy just for the sake of better borders and a better fitting name. Can you not press the de jure claims of kings/queens because I have the options to take the rest of France for dukes, just not that part.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 21, 2013

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Zotix posted:

edit: I died, and it split anyway.

So my brother now has control over Leinster. And I've got the duchy of Dublin which include Kildare now. Is it worth getting Leinster back, and trying to form that duchy with it's neighboring area? Even if I do that, it's problematic as I don't think I'll have children that would control it upon death. This game is too confusing.

You split because your succession law is Gavelkind. Gavelkind splits holdings evenly between eligible heirs. You want to beeline to controlling 51% of Ireland so you can create the Kingdom of Ireland and change its crown laws to something like Primogeniture or another law that doesn't fracture your holdings into a million pieces when a ruler dies.

I'd try to offer vassalization to your brother, or conquer his rear end if he doesn't bite. You should have a claim on it, if I remember Gavelkind right.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It seems to be still part of my territory. I can raise troops. I guess he is actually a vassal of mine?

So if he is actually a vassal of mine now, and hasn't formally split off, will his family ever split off? One of my territories says that his son will inherit it, but will that son stay a vassal of mine?

Zotix fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 21, 2013

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Interesting set up, 1066 start, Erik the heathen got independent, Uppland is still independent. Paganism is firm in the Baltics and Sweden. Europe seems to be tearing itself apart constantly.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Some early development pictures for the Rozhan Economic Victory event chain. Gosh are they ever fun to write for!

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

DrSunshine posted:

Some early development pictures for the Rozhan Economic Victory event chain. Gosh are they ever fun to write for!

So you're making Mansa Musa, the man who's Haaj devalued gold in the Mediterranean and was accidentally responsible for the Italian Renaissance.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Unreal_One posted:

So you're making Mansa Musa, the man who's Haaj devalued gold in the Mediterranean and was accidentally responsible for the Italian Renaissance.

Yup! They're an entire civilization inspired by that one dude. I'm thinking that once you do manage to declare yourself Merchant King, you'll get access to a decision spend a huge sum of cash to go on a voyage around Sonendar, and give yourself lots of prestige and piety. Random rulers will get donations of gold, but receive a province modifier that'll decrease their tax revenues for a few years.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Well that's a hilarious tidbit of history.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

Trujillo posted:

Playing CK2+, how do I take the lands in between France and Germany? I have the queen of Lotharingia as a vassal but there's no option to war for it and I don't want to bother trying to marry into a tiny duchy just for the sake of better borders and a better fitting name. Can you not press the de jure claims of kings/queens because I have the options to take the rest of France for dukes, just not that part.

What's Lotharingia's crown authority? It needs to be at least medium for you to press any dejure claim in that area.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Does anyone else find that the Kingdom of Africa ALWAYS ends up becoming Bedouin in culture?

Also about Paragons of Virtue affecting moral authority - does this apply only if you took the ambition or for everybody who has above 1000 piety?

Rejected Fate fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 21, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Alright, I decided to see what's up with pagans and titles in CK2+:

1) When I first created the Kingdom of Ireland, it defaulted to Primogeniture for some reason instead of Gavelkind. I'm pretty sure Wiz meant all pagans to be stuck on Gavelkind for balance, so that's a problem.

2) Following the unification of Ireland and subsequent invasion of Scotland, I fabricated claims on Gotland so as to establish my family's presence in Scandinavia. Since Gotland is a single-county duchy, the title vanishes and I get to create it again. By doing so, it becomes Primogeniture as well since the creator's (me) primary title is also under Primogeniture.

3) My king dies and leaves the kingdoms to my son. He gives Gotland and a Finnish county to his younger brother so he can make his own fortune. Years pass as the brothers conquer Finland together, and one thing I notice is that the younger brother actively creates other duchy titles. I'm guessing it's because the AI knows it's not on Gavelkind.

4) The younger brother eventually has enough money to form Finland, and I gift him enough cash to create the title. He does so, but it defaults to Gavelkind for some reason. Presumably the AI now regrets this decision, though I have to account for the possibility that it's fine with that as a Gavelkind Kingdom usually won't have duchies leaving the realm.

EDIT: And now the younger brother's wife died and decided to marry a cousin of ours. Also, the capital got shifted to some inland Finnish provinces with lovely technology ranks rather than staying in Gotland. That's CK2 for you I guess.

FURTHER EDIT: And when the younger brother died, Finland suddenly became Primogeniture. I am now more confused than ever.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 21, 2013

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Zotix posted:

So pops died and I got the county of Leinster. However one of my sons is heir to Dublin, and one to Leinster. I assume when my character dies, I'll lose one of those territories based on which son I take command of. How do I unify them? I was looking for a way to create a duchy including Dublin and Leinster, but it doesn't seem possible. Is there an IRC channel?

There isn't a default way to unite those two, because they're part of two different de jure duchies. You'll need the other half of one of their duchies, and then create the title, and your younger son will be come the older son's vassal on your death. The big thing here is that each will get a claim on the other's titles, so your duke-son might be able to revoke your earl-son's county, but given how small you are, it would probably end in a war between the two.

Edit: modding question: can raiding and looting be based on anything other than religion? I think that "reformed Pagans can only raid at minimum or low CA" would be a good balancing factor, but I don't know if it can be implemented.

Goon Danton fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 21, 2013

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Belasarius posted:

The problem with buildings is that you only ever want to buy them early so you get a return on your investment, but gold is so scarce early on it seems like you are always better off using it to make titles or buying mercenaries to conquer more lands. If I'm a merchant I rush my family holdings though of course, several of those are awesome.

I think many people are a bit off when trying to determine if a building gives you a return on investment. Just look at the following factors:

Technology: The construction technology reduces build time and build costs! The infrastructure techs increase the money you get from each building. This could combine at the highest level to a 25% reduction in construction costs and 50% increase in revenue.

Stewardship bonus: My current ruler, the starting Byzantine Emperor (TOG start) has 13 stewardship, his wife has 3 stewardship and my steward has 19 stewardship. If I go to the titles screen and hover over demesne in the income category I see that I have a 52% stewardship bonus to all my income.

Councilors: Your steward can increase the money you get from one building very substantially.

So let's make a test case. My Byzantine Empire game: I have construction 1.7 and castle infrastructure 2.0 in Constantinople. This means -5.3% build costs and +12.5% castle income. I can build a Castle Town 3 in the barony of Blachernae for 300 - 5.3% = 290.8 gold. It will give me 2 + 12.5% + 52% = 3.29 gold per month year. 290.8/3.29 = 88.4 [s]months[s] years until the building paid for itself. My steward is researching technology so no boost from him.

So my initial calculations were a bit off but this is still a fantastic deal. My current year is 885, in 974 the building will start to generate profits, and with increasing technology for nearly 500 years I will get a ton of money. If I wait 300 years until 1185 the building will be much cheaper and generate more gold (because of rising technology levels) and it will still be very worth it. Economy buildings lose their attractiveness in the last 100 years of the game but this time period accounts for maybe 1/5th of the game. You will want to build buildings long into the game, I don't understand why people are so down on them.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 21, 2013

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Today I learned how to make buildings :yayclod:

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Torrannor posted:

I think many people are a bit off when trying to determine if a building gives you a return on investment. Just look at the following factors:

Technology: The construction technology reduces build time and build costs! The infrastructure techs increase the money you get from each building. This could combine at the highest level to a 25% reduction in construction costs and 50% increase in revenue.

Stewardship bonus: My current ruler, the starting Byzantine Emperor (TOG start) has 13 stewardship, his wife has 3 stewardship and my steward has 19 stewardship. If I go to the titles screen and hover over demesne in the income category I see that I have a 52% stewardship bonus to all my income.

Councilors: Your steward can increase the money you get from one building very substantially.

So let's make a test case. My Byzantine Empire game: I have construction 1.7 and castle infrastructure 2.0 in Constantinople. This means -5.3% build costs and +12.5% castle income. I can build a Castle Town 3 in the barony of Blachernae for 300 - 5.3% = 290.8 gold. It will give me 2 + 12.5% + 52% = 3.29 gold per month year. 290.8/3.29 = 88.4 [s]months[s] years until the building paid for itself. My steward is researching technology so no boost from him.

So my initial calculations were a bit off but this is still a fantastic deal. My current year is 885, in 974 the building will start to generate profits, and with increasing technology for nearly 500 years I will get a ton of money. If I wait 300 years until 1185 the building will be much cheaper and generate more gold (because of rising technology levels) and it will still be very worth it. Economy buildings lose their attractiveness in the last 100 years of the game but this time period accounts for maybe 1/5th of the game. You will want to build buildings long into the game, I don't understand why people are so down on them.
And with the same 290 gold you might have been able to hire a bunch of mercenaries and stomp a small neighbour and add a few more counties and/or vassals to your demesne.
Yes, building buildings is a better use for your gold than sitting on it doing nothing with it, but is it the best use for it?

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

How are you guys stabbing so effectively? I find a lot of the times nobody in a foreign court except maybe one random courtier who adds +5 plot strength is willing to join me. Also sometime around the time TOG got released they removed the ability to plot against children which really crimps my ability to get rid of unwanted heirs, and the assassinate diplomacy option is too much of a crapshoot to be reliable.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Contingency Plan posted:

How are you guys stabbing so effectively? I find a lot of the times nobody in a foreign court except maybe one random courtier who adds +5 plot strength is willing to join me. Also sometime around the time TOG got released they removed the ability to plot against children which really crimps my ability to get rid of unwanted heirs, and the assassinate diplomacy option is too much of a crapshoot to be reliable.

Diplo stabbing is reliable enough if you can't do it via plotting. Just put your spymaster there to boost the chance and stab away.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Contingency Plan posted:

See if you can stab all the courtiers who won't help you and wait for new ones to arrive. Stab vassals, stab, children, stab spouse until everyone who likes your target has been dealt with.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

BabyFur Denny posted:

And with the same 290 gold you might have been able to hire a bunch of mercenaries and stomp a small neighbour and add a few more counties and/or vassals to your demesne.
Yes, building buildings is a better use for your gold than sitting on it doing nothing with it, but is it the best use for it?

Yes this situation exists but how often do you need to do this? If you are playing an expansionist game you will have all the troops you need after you have acquired a kingdom or two. After that a single mercenary company won't make much of a difference. You should always have emergency funding for defense, successions and other situations (stabbing/gifts/etc.), but there comes a point where you should no longer need mercenaries to expand.

I was reacting to the post that said you want to build early but you need the money for other things (and I agree with that, mercenaries in the early game are a necessity for some starts, and forming a kingdom is not cheap). I am only pushing back against the "early" part, buildings are worth it even in the late game.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Huh! That's different from my experience. I expand so I can get :10bux: from vassal taxation, so that I can hire mercenaries to use as my personal retinues.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
My five year old son has been blinded. Does this ever happen naturally or did someone scrape his eyes out without me noticing?

Oh and predictably, right after I notice my heir is blind, I get maimed and die.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Contingency Plan posted:

Merry in courtiers who love you.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah I only really use mercs in emergencies and spend my cash upgrading my demesne.

I don't know if that's the most efficient play style, but gently caress being efficient, I want my capital to be the third Rome. Or possibly first or second Rome depending on who I'm playing as.

Plus if you use mercs as a Viking everything just becomes boringly easy with all that raiding cash.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone know how to unfuck the Venice start in CK2+ 867? The pagan situation is just too busted for me to deal with and I feel like I'm doing chores making sure they actually form kingdoms instead of collapsing every generation.

EDIT: I think I get it; it might be because there are no vassal patricians under Orso Participazio. Probably an error in the history files.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 21, 2013

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples
Why do all mods have terrible dog-Latin names?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Non Sequitur posted:

Why do all mods have terrible dog-Latin names?

Because people want to sound cool.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

So when do Crusaders/Jihads get unlocked again?

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Can reformed paganism create holy orders? Also, how are holy wars declared? I just reformed/became Emperor of Scandinavia and I would like to know what to do with all of my new power.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Rejected Fate posted:

VVWhat he said, I remembered wrongVV

brocretin fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 21, 2013

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Rejected Fate posted:

Crusades are in 1090, Great Holy Wars (reformed pagans) in 1100, and Jihads in 1187. According to this, anyway.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Allyn posted:

Crusades are in 1090, Great Holy Wars (reformed pagans) in 1100, and Jihads in 1187. According to this, anyway.

Ah, okay. Won't be long until I can reclaim the Sahelian Ghana owned Mauretania then. Bit odd that Pagans can holy war before Muslims can jihad.

Also if there are any other British CK2 players, I'd advise checking out the BBC iPlayer's film section at the mo'. Two Old Gods related films there, Mongol which is about the Khan and I can recommend and Valhalla Rising which I've not seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Today's the day for CK2 in the Steam Paradox Weekend thing. 75% off everything except The Old Gods so if you've been waiting, now's the time to buy.

• Locked thread