Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Somehow, the Battletoads glitch TAS just got made quicker by glitching past most of the ending.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcD5e02B68U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
TimpZ has been on the grind to get a sub 16 Sonic 2 run for at about 5-6 hours now. Pretty crazy stuff!

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

The Kins posted:

Somehow, the Battletoads glitch TAS just got made quicker by glitching past most of the ending.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcD5e02B68U

:magical:

I read their write-up and I still don't understand how they've made that work.

They just suicide and suddenly, bam. Ending cutscene, doesn't even fight the last boss, just right to the end cutscene.

Reminds of me of this Super Mario Land 2 TAS which I completely gave up on trying to understand. Something about falling into RAM and hitting the point that triggers the ending.

It's utterly fascinating to watch people gently caress with the game on such a fundamental level.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The latest iteration of the Kirby's Adventure TAS, resulting from a frame war, is a special thing as well.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?
Ah Adam_AK just shattered the Vice City WR by 30 seconds, dude is a serious beast at GTA.

edit; but then his record got beat by like 90 seconds, drat.

redz fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 21, 2013

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

redz posted:

Ah Adam_AK just shattered the Vice City WR by 30 seconds, dude is a serious beast at GTA.

And Fatzke just got himself a 1:35:46.38 after Adam finished his runs tonight. Would have been 1:34 but for some headaches on one of the final missions.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Cool TAS montage of Mario Kart Wii:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LhVwDG-mXc

Crooz
Feb 22, 2011

.TakaM posted:

Cool TAS montage of Mario Kart Wii:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LhVwDG-mXc

The partial videos of the MK64 TAS are amazing and I've always wished someone would take it up all the way through. It must be so RNG heavy though.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I assume all you guys know about Cosmo already, but he's the second most viewed stream on Twitch right now for some reason, so he's running Wind Waker attempts explaining all the tricks and doing excellent commentary.

http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright

testsubject
Apr 18, 2006
I wish he did like a weekly no-reset run where he just explains every little thing he does.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh right, Mario Marathon 6 is starting tomorrow morning. It's not exactly speedrunning but I remembered there's usually a thread or something.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
http://www.twitch.tv/retrorockstars/b/282040013

This got brought up + linked in Cosmo's chat. Has to be one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. The good old days.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Finished my first timed super casual run of Half Life!
Bear in mind, I started the timer on the moment Eli opens a door for you in Unforseseen Consequences, so the final time should have like 10 minutes added to account for the intro, Anomalous Materials, etc. I was just driving myself too crazy restarting over and over again and having to do the whole Resonance Cascade part each time. Still pretty drat proud.

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 21, 2013

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

ArfJason posted:

Finished my first timed super casual run of Half Life!
Bear in mind, I started the timer on the moment Eli opens a door for you in Unforseseen Consequences, so the final time should have like 10 minutes added to account for the intro, Anomalous Materials, etc. I was just driving myself too crazy restarting over and over again and having to do the whole Resonance Cascade part each time. Still pretty drat proud.

I'm pretty sure the community rule for timing a single segment run is to start right at the end of the intro, so there is a little less time to add to that to compare to other people's. Half-Life 1 is an insane speedrun because the entire time you're doing anything you should also be doing glitched movement (bunnyhopping. It also includes a bit of health/armor management tactics. Explosives knock you back depending on how much damage you take from them, so the more armor you have the shorter the boost. Then there are the pushing box boosts, which are insane and I'll never know how coolkid does them so consistantly every time.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

SeXReX posted:

w how coolkid does them so

coolkid is basically PC Exo/Hotarubi tier. He is so insanely good that it makes me sad when he barely breaks 2 digit viewer count.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Feeling the same here about coolkid, he is one of the top HL1 runners and I try to watch him when I can, last night he topped at about 80 people, which is a drat shame.

SeXReX posted:

I'm pretty sure the community rule for timing a single segment run is to start right at the end of the intro, so there is a little less time to add to that to compare to other people's. Half-Life 1 is an insane speedrun because the entire time you're doing anything you should also be doing glitched movement (bunnyhopping. It also includes a bit of health/armor management tactics. Explosives knock you back depending on how much damage you take from them, so the more armor you have the shorter the boost. Then there are the pushing box boosts, which are insane and I'll never know how coolkid does them so consistantly every time.

Yeah, bunnyhopped all the way through (though not perfectly), abused lots of glitches, and did some explosive jumps. Problem is that since I'm not planning any routes, I don't have much of a way of timing when to lose armor other than winging it. Maybe later when I have more free time I might attempt thinking of a route. Or memorizing HLDQ's. That could work too?
Still not gonna script cause I like bunnyhopping manually.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
80? That's probably five times his average before he started doing just Quake/Halflife stuff the past few months. 80 viewers isn't bad at all.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Anyone have any good recommendations on people that run PC games?
http://www.twitch.tv/dabigbooi and http://www.twitch.tv/pykn both run a lot of source stuff, which I really enjoy.
http://www.twitch.tv/lee_sda does the fallout series a lot, and his commentary is really good.

I'd like to see more people running first person games though, the movement glitches in them are always a sight to see.

Why is twitches search so terrible, and is there a way to save a group? I often want to pull up the SRL page to see who is streaming but I end up searching for speedrunslive, finding a past recording with that in title, then clicking on the SRL page from there. IS there an easier way to do it, or is twitch just that terrible.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Why not just bookmark the team page, which is http://www.twitch.tv/team/srl/ ?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Wadjamaloo posted:

Anyone have any good recommendations on people that run PC games?
http://www.twitch.tv/dabigbooi and http://www.twitch.tv/pykn both run a lot of source stuff, which I really enjoy.
http://www.twitch.tv/lee_sda does the fallout series a lot, and his commentary is really good.

I'd like to see more people running first person games though, the movement glitches in them are always a sight to see.

Why is twitches search so terrible, and is there a way to save a group? I often want to pull up the SRL page to see who is streaming but I end up searching for speedrunslive, finding a past recording with that in title, then clicking on the SRL page from there. IS there an easier way to do it, or is twitch just that terrible.

twitch.tv/decidedsloth runs Dishonored sometimes.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
To elaborate, he was on a break for a month or more but finished his exams today and plans to go for more 100% runs soon-ish.

Vanant
Mar 27, 2010
I'm looking to get into streaming, but I'm a complete novice. Lemme know if this isn't the place to ask.

If I wanted to stream from a n64 or playstation console, what sort of capture card would the thread recommend? Is there any other equipment I should look into?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Liath Macha posted:

I'm looking to get into streaming, but I'm a complete novice. Lemme know if this isn't the place to ask.

If I wanted to stream from a n64 or playstation console, what sort of capture card would the thread recommend? Is there any other equipment I should look into?

A Dazzle is what most people recommend. I've found that the Pinnacle 500-USB is older but just as good as the Dazzle (uses the same drivers), and can be had for cheaper if you can find one used. If you're really cheap, you can take your chances with an $8 Easycap off Amazon.

Don't buy Ion brand, they're terrible. And for anything else, make sure it can handle the signal that N64 and older consoles outputs. Some of them only play nice with 480i.

edit: oh, for other equipment, you'll need something to split the signals. Cheap RCA splitters from radioshack work fine, but will degrade the signal a bit (makes it darker). A VCR can usually act as a powered splitter. The other option is to buy a video cable for your console that has S-Video and RCA video, because you can plug one into your capture card and one into your TV without worrying about a splitter for video. You'll still need to sort out the audio though.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 22, 2013

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

wa27 posted:

If you're really cheap, you can take your chances with an $8 Easycap off Amazon.

To add clarity to EasyCaps, because this can be a little confusing. Absolutely do not buy anything actually named "EasyCap", this product naming has been phased out by the company and is now used exclusively by Chinese knock-off capture cards.

I personally have one, in my experience it's been functional but somewhat limited in features. It wouldn't capture off an Xbox 360 in colour, for instance. PAL-60 apparently just makes it poo poo itself, go figure.

But that's just me, other people and I trust them on this, have reported things like the cards having a generally lovely durability and in the worst case scenario, bursting into flames.

If you must buy an EasyCap, the one you want is an "EzCap", that's what they were re branded to.

The chinese knockoffs are far cheaper, but I refuse to recommend something that's apparently an outright fire hazard.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

wa27 posted:

edit: oh, for other equipment, you'll need something to split the signals. Cheap RCA splitters from radioshack work fine, but will degrade the signal a bit (makes it darker). A VCR can usually act as a powered splitter. The other option is to buy a video cable for your console that has S-Video and RCA video, because you can plug one into your capture card and one into your TV without worrying about a splitter for video. You'll still need to sort out the audio though.
For forty bucks, this video distribution amplifier isn't bad. I used it for splitting the component signal from my 360 to an original HD-PVR and a TV. I noticed no degradation of signal, as the amplifier is powered and boosts the signal a bit. It'll do composite (RCA) as well as component. I didn't test the composite output, so I can't vouch for the quality.

Keep in mind composite is often pretty rough when it comes to dot-crawl (the appearance of crawling pixels in static images); if you're playing a console with s-video support and you can find a distro amp that will handle s-video for a reasonable price, I'd go for it. It can clean up a lot of picture quality.

Edit: This one's five bucks more and has s-video in/out. It doesn't seem to do component, however.

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 22, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Heads up to speedrunners, users where reporting having full control of broadcaster accounts they don't own, at one point 7 people had control of some WoW streamers account, they even got Notch's apparently.

Supposedly they got hacked, regardless be sure to check your settings and such when it comes back in case someone did some fuckery.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

Alteisen posted:

Heads up to speedrunners, users where reporting having full control of broadcaster accounts they don't own, at one point 7 people had control of some WoW streamers account, they even got Notch's apparently.

Supposedly they got hacked, regardless be sure to check your settings and such when it comes back in case someone did some fuckery.

I noticed that Twitch is down for maintenance right now, I guess this is the reason. :wow: They cleared all account passwords and stream keys, so every user will need to reset those.

E: Their twitter feed called it a "display bug", while their blog called it a "CDN caching error". :rolleyes:

Alpha3KV fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 22, 2013

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I'm skeptical about it being a hacking or spreading viruses to people, but still something big had to have gone down.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Zastbat was posting from someone called Lea, like 8 dudes with full of control.

Must have been some major poo poo, either hacking or some huge security gently caress up.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
They said it was some kind of caching issue, I don't know computer stuff that well. Supposedly you weren't actually able to change anything in someone's account (outside of chat stuff).

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

Alpha3KV posted:

E: Their twitter feed called it a "display bug", while their blog called it a "CDN caching error". :rolleyes:

This isn't that unreasonable I think. An error on the CDN's side could very well manifest to the end user as if it were a "display error", even though the actual technical explanation has nothing to do with that. I still can't reach the blog post so I can't really say anything more about that.

e: vvvvv Okay what the hell, if that's true you can't wave that away as a display bug at all.

Outer Science fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 22, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Apparently users could read other's PMs and if you somehow got a mod's account you got all mod privileges on the chat, like banning users.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://gyazo.com/a4f40ebd9bb5cde6888c72b3abcea229

Apparently this is in the code for the main page right now.

Hack_flag, what the hell is going on? :psyduck:

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
It's just the name of the image on the maintenance page. I'm sure many will read too much into it and panic accordingly.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CVagts posted:

It's just the name of the image on the maintenance page. I'm sure many will read too much into it and panic accordingly.

Clearly the engineers are subtly trying to tell us what's REALLY going on through filenames! :tinfoil:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The implication is that they hastily put up that page as a response to "hacking". It's unfortunate, if anything, and the skull and crossbones design isn't really reassuring...

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

wa27 posted:

Clearly the engineers are subtly trying to tell us what's REALLY going on through filenames! :tinfoil:

It's now been changed to "nothacked2.png", which is a 404. Incredible.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's now been changed to "nothacked2.png", which is a 404. Incredible.

haha, they're totally boned. Time to reimage some servers.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Now livestream will reign supreme. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

From Twitch's twitter:

quote:

As reassurance that we weren't mysteriously hacked -- that logo floating about? It was from our company hack week http://i.imgur.com/d2qBVdp.jpg

• Locked thread