Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.

How did you make those grass/road squares? I'm thinking of cool ideas for terrain and those look like they would be fun to make. Also digging your carpet wheat fields

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Mt. ORourke posted:

How did you make those grass/road squares? I'm thinking of cool ideas for terrain and those look like they would be fun to make. Also digging your carpet wheat fields

Thanks! Got the idea for the fields from someone in our gaming group. Buy coco mat, cut in rectangles, done. Cheap and easy. The squares are basically thin wood with cut grass mats glued to them. Afterwards I cut out some pieces, flocked with sand and painted the roads up. It's alright, next time I'd use proper flocking instrad, though.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
I've got a tournament coming up Saturday, and wanted to see if I could get some tips for maximizing my lists. I'm limited by only owning one box of bane thralls (another box is in the mail, along with knights), I've run a really similar denny list with success in the past, but I'm not sure how gaspy 3 is going to work.

I always play him super aggressively, and plan on mashing into my opponent's face as much as possible on the first turn, right now I'm just debating whether or not it's worth it to drop bloodgorgers for deathjack when gaspy is already so focus intensive.

System: Warmachine
Faction: Cryx
Casters: 1/1
Asphyxious the Hellbringer (*4pts)
* Cankerworm (5pts)
* Helldiver (3pts)
Bane Thralls (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Bane Thrall Officer & Standard (3pts)
Bloodgorgers (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Satyxis Raiders (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Satyxis Raider Sea Witch (2pts)
The Withershadow Combine (5pts)
Bane Lord Tartarus (4pts)
Darragh Wrathe (4pts)
General Gerlak Slaughterborn (3pts)
Satyxis Raider Captain (2pts)
Saxon Orrik (2pts)

System: Warmachine
Faction: Cryx
Casters: 1/1
Warwitch Deneghra (*5pts)
* Deathripper (4pts)
* Defiler (5pts)
* Helldiver (3pts)
* Helldiver (3pts)
Bane Thralls (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Bane Thrall Officer & Standard (3pts)
Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters (Cylena and 9 Grunts) (10pts)
Satyxis Raiders (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Satyxis Raider Sea Witch (2pts)
Pistol Wraith (3pts)
Satyxis Raider Captain (2pts)
Warwitch Siren (2pts)
Skarlock Thrall (2pts)

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
So a week or two ago I played against Syntherion. He is a pretty rude guy! I made a bunch of mistakes, but overall I think it was a good match. A lot of the writeup is me noting what I should have done, so if you want to see how not to play Irusk, take a gander. I also tried to remember how Cyriss stuff works to give people an idea of how that faction can play. I probably made some errors, buy my opponent hasn't gotten back to me.

Click this thrilling mid-battle photo to read more of my tiresome drivel!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Goddamn Syntherion running 8 warjacks that poo poo is insane. Just wait til he gets a Corollary.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist

Luebbi posted:

Another topic: I'm not really sure how much cover is too much cover in Warmachine. So far I've just put moderate amounts down in a way that feels right. I know to avoid water, especially in Hordes vs. Warmachine matches, and I tend to give one side a slight edge so the ability to choose table edge matters.

I know this has come up before in thread but I personally like some water based terrain, even deep water because there are a number of models with amphibious who pay for that ability in the cost of their model who never ever get to use it. I figure you are aware but steamroller actually has suggested amounts of terrain it's 5-7 pieces per board (where possible). I think that choosing your edge needs to matter, the best table design gives both sides of the table an advantage and a disadvantage that way neither side is "best" but your choice matters.

A tournament I dropped into awhile ago had themed tables very nicely set up and each table had its own little extra rule for flavour, for example a shooting penalty from a snowstorm etc.

I don't know enough about 3Gaspy to comment but I think at 50 you want a heavy maybe 2 if for no other reason than time. Deathjack seems pretty good considering that spell list and I am a big fan of the Leviathan and the Harrower for picking off solos/jacks (and because some ranged threat is nice too), Seether also seems like a solid choice with mobility.

Your Deneghra seems ok but I dont get the purpose of the helldivers (in either list) I would drop both and get a 3rd arc node (4 pointer) and add another Warwitch Siren. I think the siren is one of the best 2 point solos in the game and they have a ton of uses (also extra sprays with good accuracy are invaluable). I think this list might have the same issue as the 3Gaspy one, there is tons of infantry and it will be time intensive. Despite being an absolute focus hog Deneghra can get a lot of use out of a heavy, she likes Nightmare (not as much as Edenny) but as a ranged assassination piece Levis rock with her, again a Seether is never a bad choice since it runs for free.

If you feel like you aren't going to clock yourself with all that infantry and don't have access to some other heavies then I would say try it out, I just think cryx heavies aren't given enough respect (unless its DJ).

Hoboskins fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 20, 2013

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Hoboskins posted:

Your Deneghra seems ok but I dont get the purpose of the helldivers (in either list) I would drop both and get a 3rd arc node

I may end up sticking Deathjack in there, but helldivers are :krad: and cannot be dropped. They essentially cannot be attacked, move faster than if they ran for zero focus, and are guaranteed slams. They're amazing and have won me more games than any other unit. Helldivers for life.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I would never ever use deep water, particularly in a tournament. The warnouns with amphibious are rare, but making a warcaster or warlock literally unkillable as long as he can sit in deep water in a position that won't cause him to lose the scenario outright is ridiculous.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Manifest posted:

I may end up sticking Deathjack in there, but helldivers are :krad: and cannot be dropped. They essentially cannot be attacked, move faster than if they ran for zero focus, and are guaranteed slams. They're amazing and have won me more games than any other unit. Helldivers for life.

gently caress yeah. Those things are too amazing and I have seen lots of people lose games freaking out and moving their caster into bad positions trying not to die.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I finally got to play again! We played pretty loose, tried to get the rules right, but as usual we cocked up a lot of things, so I'm not sure what to say about the result.

However, I had great fun, played with the pair out, and got a lot of the old enjoyment back again.

I ran:
pIrusk + War Dog
Min WGI+UA+1rocket+KovJoe
Manhunter
Decimator
Mortar Crew
Min Cylena/Nyss Hunters + Valachev.

Against a Rask/Snapjaw/Evileye/Totem Hunter/bog trog ambushers/Swamp Horror, Swamp Troll list.

I think a lot of getting my groove back (and I did lose, Irusk got sucked near and eaten by a Swamp Horror :can: ), was due to:

- Getting more models. I simply couldn't get my jack/MoW heavy-list to work against my friends lists, and I've always wanted to play more shooty and Solo-assisted. Mortar. Manhunter and Nyss helped a great deal, here.

- Putting my many failures with unit/list composition to rest. Once I figured out how to properly spread the members of my WGI, that death star suddenly started to work for me, and I'm no longer annoyed I bought all those tin guys :black101:

- Resolving not to whine, and just throw it all out there. I guess I had lost so many games at this point that I could either become disillusioned or regain my batshit appreciation for Khadormachine <3

E: Also, I may have dreamed it, but I think I heard something about a new Behemoth sculpt. Can anyone confirm before I go and by the old chickenjack?

Tias fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 20, 2013

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist

Manifest posted:

I don't think I have have seen them across the board before So I had no clue what you were planning to use them for that sounds like a complete pain to deal with.

also played a small proxies game vs some Cyriss and god drat the Corollary is pure BS, the amount of focus it can generate and deliver to its Vectors and then get back from inducting on to it is unbelievable. Kill that bastard asap:black101:

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Manifest posted:

First time I ever saw Helldivers played was 2 of them with pSkarre. Those things are so goddamn good with her :zombie:

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Willeh posted:

First time I ever saw Helldivers played was 2 of them with pSkarre. Those things are so goddamn good with her :zombie:

I have a secret for you.:ssh:

They are good with every caster.
Sometimes the fear of the tunneling helldiver is as good as the helldiver itself.
At 3 points, I always bring one.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Manifest posted:

I have a secret for you.:ssh:

They are good with every caster.
Sometimes the fear of the tunneling helldiver is as good as the helldiver itself.
At 3 points, I always bring one.

Helldivers are like the sneaky little quarterbacks of Cryx armies. Either your opponents freak out and focus on them, or they completely forget the little burrow marker...

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care
I was thinking of starting Warmachine/Hordes, and was wondering how this looks for a Noob 25pt Cygnar list. It doesn't have to be competitive, just a decent starting point for getting experience with the game:

Siege

Defender
Ironclad
Charger

Black 13th

Journeyman Warcaster (probably Jack Marshalling the Charger)
Strangewayes
Reinholdt

CPFinnit
Jun 5, 2008
All in all that's not a bad start. For being vanilla, an Ironclad is still a really good heavy jack and Siege loves himself Defenders.

The only thing I would suggest is looking for a better way to spend the 4 points you would spend on the Charger. Don't get me wrong, I love the little guy but he really does want 3 focus a turn and Siege doesn't have that to spare and the Journeyman is only going to want to dish out two after upkeeping Arcane Shield.

If you're not sold on Arlan you could really look for ways to spend six points. Gun Mages, Rangers (Siege loves Rangers) a minimum unit of Stormguard, a max unit of Sword Knights or even a min of Precusor Knights would all be a good fit there.

All of that being said, you could ignore all that and run that list and it would still be fun to play. The Charger with the Journeyman still nets you a fully boosted shot plus another shot a turn while still upkeeping Arcane Shield.

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care
Sounds good to me. I wasn't sure about the 3rd jack. I think I'll go with the stormguard, since they benefit a lot from Siege. Let me update the list:

Siege

Defender
Ironclad

Min Stormguard
Black 13th

JWC
Reinholdt

Thanks for the help!

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Battle Report time! I got some advice on my Nemo1 list a couple pages back, which I took to heart and which netted me an awesome win just now.

My list:

Nemo1, Lancer, Ironclad, Squire
Tactical Arcanist Corps
Full Unit of Forgeguard
Journeyman Warcaster

his List

Sorscha1, Destroyer, Juggernaut, Wardog
Full unit of Man-O-War Shocktroopers
Widowmakers

At set-up, I positioned my Arcanist corps in such a way that the entire Forgeguard could seek shelter behind the clouds, then Nemo + support behind them, the warjacks to either side.

Things were off to a good start when my opponent misjudged my reach with the Arcnode on the lancer. I ran him up near his Widowmakers and fried all of them with a single chain lightning. Score!

Next round, the Lancer continued kicking unholy amounts of rear end as I loaded him up with 5 focus - which still left nemo with 6 focus left. The TAC is just obscene with him, but I digress. I put the +2 damage/disruption spell on him and charged the Man-O-War and the melee jack, disrupting the jack and taking out two of the shock troopers. The rest of the army took their time advancing. His turn, the Lancer survived with a single hitpoint, denying him the ability to score a scenario point.

After that, some very unlucky rolls kept my fully loaded hammersmith from killing his other jack, but he in turn survived the next round. Sorscha popped her feat, but I had positioned my Forgeguard in such a way that they blocked LOS to my key pieces. By then I had lost only the Lancer and JWC while his army was almost gone. The Arcanist Corps proved that a Magic Abilty [7] attack is still worrisome when you've got a high defense, taking out the wardog and putting a couple boxes of hurt on Sorscha. After that, I disentangled my hammersmith from his 2-jack melee thanks to Locomotion, slammed Sorscha and managed to exactly hit her Defense. Thanks to follow-up, a knocked down Sorscha was now looking at a Hammersmith with P+S 17 and 3 focus to burn. She conceded before I could pulp her.

So, in short: the Tactical Arcanist Corps is amazing with Nemo1, the Lancer took out more points than he cost and entangled half the enemy army for a round, and whoever suggested the Hammersmith with Nemo1 won me the game.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
So I finally got my Galleon fully painted and based. It's taken me several months to actually complete it, but I'm pleased with the results.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Need more pictures of that Galleon.

It looks fancy!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Really dig (what I assume is) the use of the white water to differentiate the rear arc from the front.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Can someone give me a crash course on CoC? Is the book out yet? How does the faction play? All I know is the MAT/RAT sharing and that there's some kind of focus trickling effect--beyond that, I'm a little lost. Models look dope though!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

None of the stuff is "officially" released, but those who went to Lock & Load last month could buy the book, starter box, and a number of other models.

Lots of rules have been spoiled on BattleCollege and a few cards are also available in War Room.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
Cross-Posting my Woldwrath from the painting thread.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Looks awesome. I really do love that model.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

At wargamescon I saw a converted Woldwrath that had both of it's arms knuckle-down on the ground, like a gorilla, and it looked pretty sweet, first time I've seen the model and really been inspired by the pose.

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

Blompkin posted:

Sounds good to me. I wasn't sure about the 3rd jack. I think I'll go with the stormguard, since they benefit a lot from Siege. Let me update the list:

Siege

Defender
Ironclad

Min Stormguard
Black 13th

JWC
Reinholdt

Thanks for the help!

Siege is an awesome caster but I am not the biggest fan of Stormguard. For the same points you could take min Boomhowlers and Boomhowlers are awesome.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I love how bright the woldwraths runes are.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Any thoughts on the Rifle Corps? Miniature Market's got them at half off.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

demota posted:

Winterguard deathstar units are a bitch to deal with.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I would presume Old witch gallowsing the enemy caster into range for a 10 or 12 man CRA is pretty funny.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Nighttheii posted:

Cross-Posting my Woldwrath from the painting thread.

That there is a rad looking Wold.

I hate to ask how long the runes took.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

demota posted:

They need Joe to hit reliably, (if you can't aim that is) but with him they're pretty good. With pButcher they can rip through poo poo on his feat turn.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Do you guys know of any good Photoshop tutorials for "painting" models? Trying to test out a Convergeance theme and it's coming out like poo poo because I have no idea what I'm doing.

Quest Jefferson
Mar 27, 2010

demota posted:

They're interesting compared to regular WGI. Same MAT and RAT, but their guns are RNG 14 as opposed to 8, and POW 10 instead of 12. They do not have CRA, but instead have Ranked Attacks and Suppression Fire, which lets them create a standing AOE that deals a POW 10 to models entering or ending activation inside, with the size determined by how many members are alive. The big thing you'll be missing with WGRC is the utility, because they can't take the Winter Guard UA or Rocketeers. I like them with Joe and pVlad for softening up infantry units from long range and blocking lanes, and I sometimes take advantage of Ranked Attacks by tucking my Widowmakers in behind them.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Quest Jefferson posted:

They're interesting compared to regular WGI. Same MAT and RAT, but their guns are RNG 14 as opposed to 8, and POW 10 instead of 12. They do not have CRA, but instead have Ranked Attacks and Suppression Fire, which lets them create a standing AOE that deals a POW 10 to models entering or ending activation inside, with the size determined by how many members are alive. The big thing you'll be missing with WGRC is the utility, because they can't take the Winter Guard UA or Rocketeers. I like them with Joe and pVlad for softening up infantry units from long range and blocking lanes, and I sometimes take advantage of Ranked Attacks by tucking my Widowmakers in behind them.

They don't fill the same role as WGI at all. WGRC pair amazingly well with any of our tarpits. They do a great job of pushing the line of engagement further back by peeling off forward layers of infantry. It's true that they need Joe to hit, but with certain casters you can get around that. Either Sorcha can get them going with stationary, if you're willing to invest in it.

There has also been some tech floating around about using covering fire to deny charges on your own troops. Essentially you can place the AOE on your own front line provided that the unit under the template has activated. Then your opponent is forced to risk eating POW X's to even have the chance to remove your tarpit. It's not a stellar combo, but it can make your attrition and denial game even more obnoxious.

If they could have a UA that just granted CRA's I think they would be in every list. As it stands, Joe+WGRC is a super strong combo, but they don't jam like WGI do.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Do you guys know of any good Photoshop tutorials for "painting" models? Trying to test out a Convergeance theme and it's coming out like poo poo because I have no idea what I'm doing.

The only real thing that I know is to first color all the models in grey scale so they are 'unpainted'. Then proceed with the color you want. I know PP's Meg released a primer on it on one of her Insider Reports. Try looking for that.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

evenworse username posted:

I hate to ask how long the runes took.

I didn't really keep track, but the whole model was almost 5 whole days of painting, with 80% being runes and then edging the stone color around them. :(

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Excelsiortothemax posted:

The only real thing that I know is to first color all the models in grey scale so they are 'unpainted'. Then proceed with the color you want. I know PP's Meg released a primer on it on one of her Insider Reports. Try looking for that.

Yea I made the image grey, but when I create a new layer to go over it I have to turn the opacity down to see the details of the model and then it looks like crap :confused:
I am bad at art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Sab669 posted:

Yea I made the image grey, but when I create a new layer to go over it I have to turn the opacity down to see the details of the model and then it looks like crap :confused:
I am bad at art.

Try fiddling with blending modes. Multiply would work pretty well, methinks.

• Locked thread