Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
UIKeyCommand. Finally.

So excited about this iOS 7 addition.

I use my iPad with a Bluetooth keyboard all the time in coffee shops and it's going to be great to have real keyboard shortcuts in apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is there any way to produce an armv6 binary with Xcode 4.6? I've found some old code I want to play with but it depends on a library that I don't have the source for and is only present as an armv6 binary and it won't link under 7.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
You can change the set of target architectures in the build settings to only include armv6.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I thought you couldn't target armv6 anymore?

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
Here's a Stack Overflow answer about it that combines Xcode 4.4 and Xcode 4.5+ to build an executable that includes v6, v7, and v7s:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12619124/how-to-support-both-armv6-and-armv7s-for-release-build-in-xcode-4-5

There's another answer elsewhere that has you copy the iOS 5.0 SDK from Xcode 4.4 to your Xcode 4.5+ and from there you can build v6 and v7 but not v7s, and you can't build against the 6.0 SDK.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12463195/xcode-4-5-and-ios-4-2-1-incompatibility/13061562

I have tried neither myself, but that's a good place to start I think.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I have a save, load and delete method in my game, and it seems just because I now want to use NSNumbers as keys in a dictionary, it fails to perform the save/load/delete. I'm starting out by fixing my delete method:

code:
-(void)setSaveFileToDefaults:(int)newFileFlag {

//delete saved game, set save file to defaults

NSError *error;
	NSArray *paths = NSSearchPathForDirectoriesInDomains(NSDocumentDirectory, NSUserDomainMask, YES); 
	NSString *documentsDirectory = [paths objectAtIndex:0];
	NSString *path = [documentsDirectory stringByAppendingPathComponent:
[NSString stringWithFormat:@"gameSaveData%d.plist", currentFileNum]]; 

NSFileManager *fileManager = [NSFileManager defaultManager];

if (![fileManager fileExistsAtPath: path]){

NSString *bundle = [[NSBundle mainBundle] pathForResource:
[NSString stringWithFormat:@"gameSaveData%d", currentFileNum] ofType:@"plist"];

[fileManager copyItemAtPath:bundle toPath: path error:&error];
	}

NSMutableDictionary *data = [[NSMutableDictionary alloc] initWithContentsOfFile: path];

[data setObject:@"amnesia" forKey:@"respawnMap"]; //ruinsItemCave2, seaOfHoles, testParaBGA, etc

//new file flag

[data setObject:[NSNumber numberWithInt:newFileFlag] forKey:@"newGameFlag"]; // 0

//seed amounts

for(int i=0; i<[seed_keys count]; ++i){

[data setObject:[NSNumber numberWithInt:0] // 0
                         forKey:[NSNumber numberWithInt:9999]]; //[seed_keys objectAtIndex:i]

}

/* write and release */

[data writeToFile: path atomically:YES];
	[data release];
}
This is a shortened version just to show an example of what's important.
-If I comment out my seed amounts for loop and the stuff inside it,the correct respawnMap object gets set.
-If I replace the [NSNumber numberWithInt:9999] key with a string like @"test", the correct respawnMap object gets set.

Otherwise, if I use as it is, none of the other data setObjects fail to get set. The key is supposed to be [seed_keys objectAtIndex:i], an NSNumber object, (which is in the comment) but I tried a regular NSNumber instead of an NSArray object index just in case I was doing anything wrong there, because [seed_keys objectAtIndex:i] makes it fail too.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

NSNumbers should be fine in a dictionary. By the way, you can do shorthand like @1 instead of [NSNumber numberWithInt:1] - look into literals.

Try logging your data dict both when it works and when it doesn't. Compare that the values are as expected.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Carthag posted:

NSNumbers should be fine in a dictionary. By the way, you can do shorthand like @1 instead of [NSNumber numberWithInt:1] - look into literals.

Try logging your data dict both when it works and when it doesn't. Compare that the values are as expected.

Thanks for the shorthand tip! I like that.

I did not use the shorthand in the example but:

quote:

//seed amounts

[data setObject:[NSNumber numberWithInt:5] // 0
forKey:[seed_keys objectAtIndex:i]];

NSLog(@"object value is %i",[[data objectForKey:[seed_keys objectAtIndex:i]] intValue]);

}

It logs "object value is 5", but fails to set the map to amnesia and make all the seed values 5. All because of what's inside this for loop it doesn't seem to do writeToFile.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Try this:

Objective-C code:
for (id seed_key in seed_keys) {
    data[seed_key] = @5;
}
NS(Mutable)Dictionary support keyed subscripting, so you can do [] access. So this would run through all the seed_keys, and put them in the data dict with value NSNumber 5.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Assuming his game is targeting iOS 6+. Otherwise object subscripting isn't available.

edit: and aren't all they keys in a dictionary supposed to be the same type of object?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Carthag posted:

Try this:

Objective-C code:
for (id seed_key in seed_keys) {
    data[seed_key] = @5;
}
NS(Mutable)Dictionary support keyed subscripting, so you can do [] access. So this would run through all the seed_keys, and put them in the data dict with value NSNumber 5.

It works like it did last time, but I like the way you setup the loop. Still not writing to the file when running the loop.

Doc Block posted:

Assuming his game is targeting iOS 6+. Otherwise object subscripting isn't available.

edit: and aren't all they keys in a dictionary supposed to be the same type of object?

It's set to 6. Oh, the keys have to be all the same type of object? :(

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The keys can be whatever, they just gotta conform to the NSCopying protocol. There's plenty of use cases for using heterogenous keys.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Try spitting the entire data object out in your log, also your path. Check that you're indeed looking at the same file as you're writing to. Also check the return value of writeToFile:atomically:, it'll return YES or NO depending if the write succeeded.

You presumably have something in your dictionary that is not a valid object.

quote:

This method recursively validates that all the contained objects are property list objects (instances of NSData, NSDate, NSNumber, NSString, NSArray, or NSDictionary) before writing out the file, and returns NO if all the objects are not property list objects, since the resultant file would not be a valid property list.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 22, 2013

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I forgot that if you're serializing out to a property list then the array/dictionary you're serializing can only contain property list objects. Maybe that's his problem.

If you want to serialize non-property list objects then you need to use NSKeyedArchiver and make sure all the objects you're serializing conform to the NSCoding protocol.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 22, 2013

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Doc Block posted:

A 2011 MBP should be fine (add as much RAM as you can, assuming the 2011 models didn't have the whole soldered-on RAM thing yet).

Also bear in mind that, when used on iPhones, your app will occasionally have to deal with a double-height status bar (such as when the app is being used during a phone call).

edit: but yes, it's very doable with what you have. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, the MBP is working well and I upgraded the RAM to 16 GB last year.

I bought some books on iOS/Objective-C development in 2012 and it looks like they're still not out-of-date, so I have a road map at least.

I'll pay attention to the status bar issue when testing, I wouldn't have know of it!

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
E: never mind figured out my problem myself.

Papes fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 23, 2013

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
SpriteKit thoughts: needs support for texture atlas formats besides just PNG. The Adventure demo takes 5-6 seconds to load on my iPhone 5 (over 10 seconds on my iPhone 4). zlib-compressed PVR images take up less disk space, load faster, and if you use the RGBA8888 format you get the same lossless image quality as a PNG.

Custom shaders, please. Core Image effects are slow and very limited, especially on iOS.

Real tile map support would be nice. "Just do a big grid of sprites" seems like a waste of memory, especially if you've got large levels. Yes, the sprites can all be drawn in one draw call if they're all on the same texture atlas, and SpriteKit won't draw any of the tile sprites that aren't on screen, but a real tile map seems like it'd be more memory efficient. Also seems like a real tile map would be faster to draw simply because figuring out what tiles to draw would simply be a matter of running through a 2D array.

I chuckled watching the SpriteKit videos, because the SpriteKit API is very similar to the Cocos2D API, to the point of pretty much just being Cocos2D-lite (which I'm sure was the whole idea). SKSprite, SKAction, SKScene, etc., instead of CCSprite, CCAction, and CCScene. I like that they rolled all the actions into one class so you just do [SKAction moveAction] or whatever instead of having to hunt through Cocos2D's docs to find out that you need to do [CCMoveTo moveAction] or whatever.

Definitely going to use it for a simple little game I've got in mind. My biggest SpriteKit wish is that I didn't have to join the Mac developer program to get access OS X 10.9. I'll need to make a simple little level editor, and it'd be way easier to just have the editor also use SpriteKit, but to get SpriteKit on OS X you need OS X 10.9. Like, I understand that generally you need to be a member of whatever developer program to get early access to that program's beta software, but given that I can't even make the tools to make my iOS SpriteKit game, it'd be nice if they made an exception Just This Once.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 23, 2013

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Doc Block posted:

Yeah, I forgot that if you're serializing out to a property list then the array/dictionary you're serializing can only contain property list objects. Maybe that's his problem.

If you want to serialize non-property list objects then you need to use NSKeyedArchiver and make sure all the objects you're serializing conform to the NSCoding protocol.

I am if NSNumber is a property list object. If I take out:

code:

NSLog(@"object value is %i",[[data objectForKey:[seed_keys objectAtIndex:i]] intValue]);

}
or written the awesome new way Carthag suggested, it works, but then my seed values aren't written of course. I checked the bool value of data writeToFile: path atomically:YES]; it does not write.

edit: This Stack Overflow mentions "expects the array to contain only objects which can be written into a plist file. " and " Only objects of type NSArray, NSDictionary, NSData, and NSString are permitted, and any array or dictionary values will be recursively examined by the same criteria." Does this mean that an NSNumber object is not accepted?

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 24, 2013

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I have an issue with NSLocalizedString returning strings in the wrong language. Even this stupid little test fails:

code:
#import <UIKit/UIKit.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
    @autoreleasepool {
        for (id language in [[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults] objectForKey:@"AppleLanguages"]) {
            NSLog(@"language: %@", language);
        }

for (id localization in [[NSBundle mainBundle] localizations]) {
            NSLog(@"localization: %@", localization);
        }

for (id preferredLocalization in [[NSBundle mainBundle] preferredLocalizations]) {
            NSLog(@"preferred localization: %@", preferredLocalization);
        }

NSLog(@"development localization: %@", [[NSBundle mainBundle] developmentLocalization]);

NSLog(@"test: %@", NSLocalizedString(@"IPHONE_MITM_WARNING_TEXT", nil));
    }

return 0;
}
It logs this:

pre:
2013-06-24 18:39:04.045 DeliciousDongs[1247:907] language: it
2013-06-24 18:39:04.050 DeliciousDongs[1247:907] language: en
2013-06-24 18:39:04.052 DeliciousDongs[1247:907] language: fr
... etc.
2013-06-24 18:39:04.105 DeliciousDongs[1247:907] localization: English
2013-06-24 18:39:04.107 DeliciousDongs[1247:907] localization: Italian
2013-06-24 18:39:04.108 DeliciousDongs[1247:907] localization: en
2013-06-24 18:39:04.110 DeliciousDongs[1247:907] localization: it
2013-06-24 18:39:04.112 DeliciousDongs[1247:907] preferred localization: it
2013-06-24 18:39:04.115 DeliciousDongs[1247:907] development localization: English
2013-06-24 18:39:04.131 DeliciousDongs[1247:907] test: DeliciousDongs detected a possible security breach. You must call again and check the authentication string with your partner.
So, Italian is available in the bundle, and the preferred localization is correctly set to the phone's UI language. What am I missing? Why is the English message printed?

e: our Localizable.strings files are generated by a (lovely) tool, I suspect the one for Italian may be malformed. Any way to verify?

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 24, 2013

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Nope, the string table is alright, I tried this:

code:
        NSString *path = [[NSBundle mainBundle] pathForResource:@"Localizable" ofType:@"strings" inDirectory:nil forLocalization:@"Italian"];
        NSDictionary *stringTable = [NSDictionary dictionaryWithContentsOfFile:path];

for (id key in stringTable.keyEnumerator) {
            NSLog(@"%@ = %@", key, stringTable[key]);
        }
and it dumps the whole thing no problem. I'm out of ideas

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants
what's it do in the simulator if you've changed the whole thing over into italian via the settings app? same thing?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I am if NSNumber is a property list object. If I take out:

code:

}
or written the awesome new way Carthag suggested, it works, but then my seed values aren't written of course. I checked the bool value of data writeToFile: path atomically:YES]; it does not write.

edit: This Stack Overflow mentions "expects the array to contain only objects which can be written into a plist file. " and " Only objects of type NSArray, NSDictionary, NSData, and NSString are permitted, and any array or dictionary values will be recursively examined by the same criteria." Does this mean that an NSNumber object is not accepted?

I would trust the Apple documentation over a Stack Overflow post. What about your seed_keys, are you positive they are plist-compatible objects? Dictionary keys need to be too, not just the values.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Carthag posted:

I would trust the Apple documentation over a Stack Overflow post. What about your seed_keys, are you positive they are plist-compatible objects? Dictionary keys need to be too, not just the values.

Both the key and object are NSNumber, which I think are supported according to:
http://developer.apple.com/library/.../Reference.html

So far I came up with an alternate solution. I had a int-to-string method in class that was used for filenames anyway, so I just used that string value for the key for deleting, saving and loading methods.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

hackbunny posted:

Nope, the string table is alright, I tried this:

code:
        NSString *path = [[NSBundle mainBundle] pathForResource:@"Localizable" ofType:@"strings" inDirectory:nil forLocalization:@"Italian"];
        NSDictionary *stringTable = [NSDictionary dictionaryWithContentsOfFile:path];

for (id key in stringTable.keyEnumerator) {
            NSLog(@"%@ = %@", key, stringTable[key]);
        }
and it dumps the whole thing no problem. I'm out of ideas

You have to set the simulator to the target language and relaunch the app.

You can also override by setting AppleLanguages in NSUserDefaults, but that won't take effect until the app restarts.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Mystery solved: I renamed all English.lproj bundles to en.lproj and Italian.lproj to it.lproj, and now everything works. I wonder if the old way ever worked? Yay for outsourced apps

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Both the key and object are NSNumber, which I think are supported according to:
http://developer.apple.com/library/.../Reference.html

So far I came up with an alternate solution. I had a int-to-string method in class that was used for filenames anyway, so I just used that string value for the key for deleting, saving and loading methods.

Yeah. Some more doc reading, and I found the cause: "And although NSDictionary and CFDictionary objects allow their keys to be objects of any type, if the keys are not string objects, the collections are not property-list objects."

http://developer.apple.com/library/...000048i-CH3-SW2

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Froist posted:

Doc Block posted:

Apple just updated Xcode 4.6, and after upgrading I am also no longer able to install & run apps on an iOS 7 device from Xcode 4.6.

Probably an unmentioned "fix" in the update.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm stuck with Lion on my work laptop so can't install the Xcode 5 beta. It did seem a bit strange to me that I could deploy to iOS 7 from a non-beta Xcode - I've been doing iOS betas for the last 3 years and have always had to use a corresponding beta of Xcode previously.

Just another note on this, it seems like iOS 7 beta 2 has broken the ability to deploy from Xcode 4.6 even if you skipped the Xcode update last week.

Froist fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 25, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

quote:

Froist posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I'm stuck with Lion on my work laptop so can't install the Xcode 5 beta. It did seem a bit strange to me that I could deploy to iOS 7 from a non-beta Xcode - I've been doing iOS betas for the last 3 years and have always had to use a corresponding beta of Xcode previously.

Just another note on this, it seems like iOS 7 beta 2 has broken the ability to deploy from Xcode 4.6 even if you skipped the Xcode update last week.

Good thing I didn't update yet :colbert:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Not really a question, but can I just say how awesome it is that all of the fancy OS X features are so easily accessible? I'm following a book and over the course of two chapters and about 100 lines if code (plus autogenerated IDE stuff) I've got an application autosaving AND doing versioning. Maybe it's just the space background, but seeing an application behave like that with so little effort is great.

Of course most of my experience is with Java where it's an uphill battle with LookAndFeelManagerHelperSetterFactories to get an application to look only somewhat like the rest of the system.

I imagine there are tons of frustrations elsewhere in Cocoa but this part was great.

blamedunce
Feb 19, 2008
Does anyone have any experience in localizing apps to RTL languages, specifically Arabic? It looks like auto layout can handle swapping the interface direction around, but are there any other hurdles that I need to be aware of?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Looks like this could be useful, so I'm posting it here: DB5, a system to let designers specify all kinds of UI stuff, without having to use Interface Builder. So you can do your UI (or parts of it) in code without making your designers do their tweaks in code.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Is there a good way to resolve the conflicts in project.pbxproj when merging another branch? Right now I am pretty much checking out the branch and manually adding my files to it which sucks a lot.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

THC posted:

Is there a good way to resolve the conflicts in project.pbxproj when merging another branch? Right now I am pretty much checking out the branch and manually adding my files to it which sucks a lot.

I know of two choices:

1. Eyeball it. The pbxproj format isn't very complicated, and it's actually an old-style plist so you can use any plist reading/writing tools to help. The downside here is your fuckup means Xcode stops opening the xcodeproj.
2. Regenerate it. You can store the relevant data in a more merge-friendly format, then simply regenerate the xcodeproj as needed. (Ditto for plist libraries.) The downside here is effectively maintaining build system metadata by hand.

And I share your pain, it sucks.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
According to one of the WWDC vids, Xcode 5 is supposed to fix this, at least for XIBs. Hopefully they'll extend that to Xcode projects.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

pokeyman posted:

I know of two choices:

1. Eyeball it. The pbxproj format isn't very complicated, and it's actually an old-style plist so you can use any plist reading/writing tools to help. The downside here is your fuckup means Xcode stops opening the xcodeproj.
2. Regenerate it. You can store the relevant data in a more merge-friendly format, then simply regenerate the xcodeproj as needed. (Ditto for plist libraries.) The downside here is effectively maintaining build system metadata by hand.

And I share your pain, it sucks.
Bah. Not the kinda answer I was hoping for, but thank you.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

THC posted:

You guys make it sound like there's no magic wand to make it all better. But actually, there is! ...If you're willing to bind yourself to a canonical order of things in your project file (alphabetical): sort-Xcode-project-file.

Then your conflicts are almost exclusively logical and easily resolvable, barring some voodoo black magic on your project.

Speaking of black magic and voodoo, I wish I could talk about the stuff I'm using at work. There'll probably be a talk on it at some point. Seriously, there is some real magical (useful magic) poo poo in this codebase and it is amazing. Cocoa touch still has so much room to grow.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jun 28, 2013

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Doc Block posted:

According to one of the WWDC vids, Xcode 5 is supposed to fix this, at least for XIBs. Hopefully they'll extend that to Xcode projects.

I'll believe that when I see it. 5 still rewrites the XIB file just from the insult of opening it in IB.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
They said in the video that it'll be a new format that isn't backwards compatible and is supposed to be diff-able. I don't know if it's in the current betas or if they're saving it for the actual Xcode 5 release.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Anyone know the proper way to prevent a TabBarController from automatically cropping its child view controllers frame sizes? In iOS 7, you can set the 'extended edges' of the view controller to go beneath the tab bar. But if you run on an iOS 6 device, it still crops the frame.

The old way to hack this was to go through the TabBarController's subviews and resize the transition view:

Objective-C code:
    //in didFinishLaunchingWithOptions

for (UIView *view in tabBarController.view.subviews) {
        if ([view isKindOfClass:[UITabBar class]] == NO) {
            [view setFrame:CGRectMake(view.frame.origin.x, view.frame.origin.y, view.frame.size.width, 1024)];
        }
    }
But this doesn't work on an iOS 7 device.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Can't you check what iOS version the app is running on and then behave accordingly? Not the most elegant solution, but still.